ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:34 AM   #281
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I know one, if you're interested.

Need a safe space?
Old 13th September 2017, 09:39 AM   #282
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Do you?

Old 13th September 2017, 09:40 AM   #283
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 13th September 2017, 09:48 AM   #284
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
"Toads like soda"
They do?

That's fascinating.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 09:51 AM   #285
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Why do I all need to get woke on Hillary's latest venture? She's nothing. Not running again (thank FSM)

The only ones who truly care about Hillary are you people with your ignorant, ill informed vendetta. You guys gotta get over it.
At least the decades of lies paid off.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 10:09 AM   #286
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
At least the decades of lies paid off.
They sure did. Funny thing is they're still at it.

And still they persisted?
Old 13th September 2017, 10:13 AM   #287
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Y'all need to get woke on Hillary's latest venture:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=322809
She endorsed it, but it isn't her venture.

Sounds like a silly venture, worthy of mockery. Not as bad as an administration that is associated with "real news" on facebook, but worthy of mockery nonetheless.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 11:02 AM   #288
gigmaster
Student

It's easy. Trump won. Get over it.......
gigmaster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 11:11 AM   #289
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gigmaster View Post
Sir, this is a ridiculous response. It would apply equally in any situation in which something bad happened: He did X, should I forgive him? It happened, get over it.

Yes, Trump won. The fact that Trump won makes the question whether Trump votes are forgivable more pertinent, not less. Had Trump lost, those who are aggrieved in this world might be more forgiving.

We all know that Trump won. That is the problem.

NOTE: I forgive and can live with many, perhaps most, Trump voters. I think they made a horrible choice, a choice that we have to live with, but some folk are just easily swayed by transparent con men and that doesn't mean they're bad people.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 11:19 AM   #290
Giz
Philosopher

That's how you say it. It's said:

"at this point, what difference does it make?"
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 12:07 PM   #291
Mumbles
Illuminator

He did, due to a fluke.

I plan to work against him, since he plans to work against nonwhite people in the US.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 12:35 PM   #292
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
He did, due to a fluke.

I plan to work against him, since he plans to work against nonwhite people in the US.
No, not a fluke at all. He won per the rules of presidential elections. Terrible outcome but legitimate and intended by the rules.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 13th September 2017, 12:44 PM   #293
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Trump got media support in the primaries. That was in part what enabled him to beat a pretty strong field of candidates. By the time of the general election, however, the MSM had turned against him pretty hard...
It is possible for the media to have a bias towards a candidate yet still be critical of him.

Trump and his policies needed to be held up to scrutiny. While some things were covered in detail, often they allowed certain lies and scandals to go relatively unexamined.

If I say 2 things wrong, and you only mention 1 of them, you're letting half the things I say go unchallenged.

Quote:
It's true that Trump had the support of niche media markets (e.g. Breitbart, various bloggers, and Sean Hannity on Fox)
Uhhh... not just Sean Hannity on fox, but probably the majority of their commentators.
Quote:
Furthermore, the media lost interest in the Clinton Foundation, her record as Secretary of State, and even her email shenanigans, and focused relentlessly on Trump's flaws.
Perhaps its because issues like the Clinton foundation and her email shenanigans truly were 'made up' scandals which had already been overplayed in the media, whereas Trump's flaws needed closer examination.
Quote:
There were plenty of stories digging into Trump's background, including the uncovering of the audio of his sexist banter with Billy Bush. There was no interest in revisiting any of Hillary's past scandals.
Yet when Comey announced late in the campaign that they were involved in an investigation related to Clinoton's emails (despite the fact that it turned up nothing related to Clinton, and was unlikely to do so), his statement was still covered extensively in the media.
Quote:
Or even her health.
Again, why should the media pay any more attention to Hillary's health than Trump's? Trump's diet and health maintenance are way worse than Hillary's, and his doctor's certification of Trump's health was certainly questionable. (And given the number of people who are suggesting Trump might be suffering from dementia, perhaps greater scrutiny was needed.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 12:51 PM   #294
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

He did, due to a fluke.

Working against the president is totally understandable. It's a privilege all Americans enjoy, and if you see a need for it, it's a duty you should exercise.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 01:09 PM   #295
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
They do?

That's fascinating.
It's the caps and pull-tabs they haven't mastered yet. Once they get past that it'll be common knowledge.
Old 13th September 2017, 01:40 PM   #296
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
That's how you say it. It's said:

"at this point, what difference does it make?"
Oh, SNAP!
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 03:34 PM   #297
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
No, not a fluke at all. He won per the rules of presidential elections. Terrible outcome but legitimate and intended by the rules.

No, let's be honest. Toupee Fiasco won due to the electoral college, which itself swung his way via 10s of thousands of votes, out of tens of millions. In truth, were all equal, we'd be discussing the first woman president.

This presidency is a mistake, an unneeded war on everyone who isn't a cis straight white male. I hope that enough people see that to throw Toupee Fiasco out when the time comes.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 05:35 PM   #298
phiwum
Philosopher

No, let's be honest. Toupee Fiasco won due to the electoral college, which itself swung his way via 10s of thousands of votes, out of tens of millions. In truth, were all equal, we'd be discussing the first woman president.

This presidency is a mistake, an unneeded war on everyone who isn't a cis straight white male. I hope that enough people see that to throw Toupee Fiasco out when the time comes.
I don't get your point, I'm afraid.

The electoral college is how we elect presidents. Sometimes the popular vote chooses a person other than the president elect. So it goes.

That's not a shocking misfire of the system. It's how it is designed to work. We can talk about whether the system ought to be changed, but we can't claim that Trump hasn't been genuinely elected.

Old 13th September 2017, 05:45 PM   #299
Segnosaur
Philosopher

The electoral college is how we elect presidents. Sometimes the popular vote chooses a person other than the president elect. So it goes.

That's not a shocking misfire of the system. It's how it is designed to work. We can talk about whether the system ought to be changed, but we can't claim that Trump hasn't been genuinely elected.

Thats the thing... It may work as its designed to, but some people see it as a flawed design.

If your ideal is that "all men are equal" then giving one voter more political power just because they live in a rural area can be seen as going against that ideal.

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 06:14 PM   #300
Cabbage
Thinker

Is it really how it's designed to work? My impression is that each state was to choose the electors for the electoral college, creating a buffer between the general population and the presidency to help prevent a demagogue.

It has evolved to a simple reapportionment of the popular vote, but I see no evidence that that was the intent. There's nothing in the Constitution that says a state's electors go to the winner of the state's popular vote. There's nothing in the Constitution that guarantees the use of any popular vote in any manner for the presidential election; a state is Constitutionally free to use another method to choose its electors, right?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 06:23 PM   #301
Argumemnon
World Maker

He did, due to a fluke.
Eh?

Quote:
You have a very strange definition of "fluke".

He won fair and square. In that, that's the problem.
Old 13th September 2017, 07:11 PM   #302
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Going to be off-topic I imagine, but I followed the Zimmerman trial extremely closely, and I think it is extremely likely that Martin confronted Zimmerman, suckerpunched him, and then started grounding and pounding him MMA style. One doesn't have to be a white supremacist to follow the evidence and logic presented at trial.
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
It's also extremely likely that Zimmerman was gung-ho enough to initiate the confrontation and found himself on the wrong end of a beating he started. We just don't know, hence why Zim is not in jail.
Or you are both biased:

Zimmerman confronted Martin, who first struck Z because he felt threatened (Hey it works for the fuzz), then scrabbled ineffectually with him on the ground to prevent him drawing a weapon.
Old 13th September 2017, 07:16 PM   #303
Noztradamus
Illuminator

She endorsed it, but it isn't her venture.

Sounds like a silly venture, worthy of mockery. Not as bad as an administration that is associated with "real news" on facebook, but worthy of mockery nonetheless.
The founder Peter Daou described the site as an "online hub for Clinton backers

Like the "vast right wing conspiracy" it's a creation of the Clinton machine spin team
Old 13th September 2017, 07:17 PM   #304
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Thats the thing... It may work as its designed to, but some people see it as a flawed design.

If your ideal is that "all men are equal" then giving one voter more political power just because they live in a rural area can be seen as going against that ideal.

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk
Sure, one can debate whether this is a good system, but one can't say that Trump's election was a failure of the system. It's as intended result, more or less. (Russian interference notwithstanding, obviously. )

Old 13th September 2017, 07:19 PM   #305
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Is it really how it's designed to work? My impression is that each state was to choose the electors for the electoral college, creating a buffer between the general population and the presidency to help prevent a demagogue.

It has evolved to a simple reapportionment of the popular vote, but I see no evidence that that was the intent. There's nothing in the Constitution that says a state's electors go to the winner of the state's popular vote. There's nothing in the Constitution that guarantees the use of any popular vote in any manner for the presidential election; a state is Constitutionally free to use another method to choose its electors, right?
Fair enough, if we want to talk about original intent, but the recent election is in line with the current traditions.

Old 13th September 2017, 08:09 PM   #306
Mumbles
Illuminator

Again, I have no interest in people who apologize for murderers like Zimmerman.

I see no need to accept apologies, since they offer none. They fit in perfectly with this administration - absolute hostility based on skin color. Makes sense.
Old 13th September 2017, 08:18 PM   #307
Noztradamus
Illuminator

I see no need to accept apologies, since they offer none. They fit in perfectly with this administration - absolute hostility based on skin color. Makes sense.
Just a suggestion: Then don't troll for them
Old 13th September 2017, 09:04 PM   #308
sunmaster14
Philosopher

Legally, Zimmerman is not a murderer.

Quote:
You will never get an apology from me for giving my honest interpretation of the facts. But it is clear that you are emotionally invested in your version of facts, and therefore beyond the reach of reason, so I won't belabor the point anymore.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 09:19 PM   #309
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And we finally have a christian on the supreme court.
Do you have an objection to Christians having a place on the SCOTUS?

I can't wait to hear it ...

Last edited by John Jones; 13th September 2017 at 09:24 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 09:28 PM   #310
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Who did Zimmerman murder, and who apologized for that murder?
Old 14th September 2017, 12:55 AM   #311
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Just a suggestion: Then don't troll for them
Hm.

Nah. Run them out.
Old 14th September 2017, 01:24 AM   #312
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post

As I understand it, the reason why so many Fundamentalist Christians are so excited about the prospect of Gorsuch being on the Supreme Court is that they think that his Christian faith will be influential in that he makes on the Supreme Court.

He will be a Christian Supreme Court judge, contrasting with past Supreme Court judges who just happen to be Christian (or Jewish or whatever).
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 02:10 AM   #313
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Or you are both biased:

Zimmerman confronted Martin, who first struck Z because he felt threatened (Hey it works for the fuzz), then scrabbled ineffectually with him on the ground to prevent him drawing a weapon.
Isn't that exactly what I said?
Old 14th September 2017, 03:31 AM   #314
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
As I understand it, the reason why so many Fundamentalist Christians are so excited about the prospect of Gorsuch being on the Supreme Court is that they think that his Christian faith will be influential in that he makes on the Supreme Court.

He will be a Christian Supreme Court judge, contrasting with past Supreme Court judges who just happen to be Christian (or Jewish or whatever).
And that not one of the judges has been a real christian in years. They were all papists and jews. We can finally return to being the christian country our founders intended.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 10:18 AM   #315
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Natural rights, number one, are an egg-sucking short-cut the DoI could have done without, but which adds a built-in excuse for those who wish to find a crack there, rightly or wrongly. This makes fundies on SCOTUS highly suspect from the git go. Further, if for a member of the Court, faith supersedes civil law in judgment, or induces extraneous religious interpretations not in the letter of the texts, then you have a bona fide theocrat, not a civil judge. To which the appropriate comment would be, "Toss the bum."

All SCOTUS members have a right to free conscience. They also have a very formal obligation to interpret and stick to the civil law as it stands, their appointed duty, being able in this case to use fact-based reasoning and logic as aids, but no faith-based mumbo-jumbo as proper grounds for anything, oye.
Old 14th September 2017, 10:44 AM   #316
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Do you?

Old 14th September 2017, 10:46 AM   #317
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Hm.

Nah. Run them out.
Or be run out by them
Old 14th September 2017, 02:05 PM   #318
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Sure. I can forgive a Trump voter.

The ones that I cannot forgive are the unapologetic supporters of the Iraq War. Those are the people that I still find so horribly disgusting.
But could you work with them? Like if you needed that someone to work with you to stop a completely needless invasion of North Korea would you?

Anything? Name one thing the *********** Frogs have done in the 19th - 20th century to make anybody's lives better.
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The 1812 Overture.

They probably saved 100,000 German lives by surrendering in WWII.

The bikini.

Catherine Deneuve (certainly made Luis Bunuel's life better).

The Tour de France.

[/voila - end derail]
Pretty sure they also have done some good work in identifying viruses and creating vaccines too.

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
I have friends who voted for Clinton and I haven't forgiven them yet. How anybody could have voted for that political gangster is beyond me. No other political machine in modern history has amassed so many scandals and told so many lies.

Clinton supporters are a "basket of despicables".
Even if I accepted that the scandals were real, which I don't, at least her policies were designed to help as many people as possible whereas his are only designed to make liberals cry.

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
That's like me saying that Trump has no scandals that weren't manufactured by the toxic liberal media and conniving dems.
Well except that he admits he has obstructed justice.

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Thread title:
Will you ever forgive Trump voters?

=

Help me bash your fellow ISF members who were Trump voters.

This thread is disgusting. It exists solely to point fingers and trash talk your fellow posters. Do you get off on this? The posts in it are so bad the whole thread should be moderated into the garbage.

I have been to some other skeptic political sites recently and though this one is possibly the largest, it takes the cake for being the rudest. No contest.

The thread title alone should clue the moderators that it does not belong here. Anywhere. The personal attacks here at this site are out of control, in my opinion.
Personal attacks?
Old 14th September 2017, 07:00 PM   #319
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Even if I accepted that the scandals were real, which I don't, at least her policies were designed to help as many people as possible whereas his are only designed to make liberals cry.
And we're back, as always, to justifying positions by ascribing motives to others. Those on your side, have good motives, those who aren't have bad motives.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 14th September 2017, 08:33 PM   #320
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Isn't that exactly what I said?
If we are being picky, not exactly. You suggested Z started the actual beating.

I think it's possible (even probable) he was just thinking "I'll reach to my pocket for my phone to call the cops", without considering how that action, coupled with his words "No, I don't have a problem" looks from Martin's viewpoint.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics