ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th September 2017, 10:04 AM   #521
Lorentz
Muse

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
OK let's consider unequal application of justice based on "race". (There are many examples.) Granted, the concept of race isn't scientific. Still, how does this discussion occur in a way that you don't object to?
Well, I sort of had my rant now; I feel I'm mostly done.

However, I'd like a discussion that doesn't focus on skin pigmentation or whose ancestors five generations removed did what to whom. I'd join a discussion about discrimination, inequality of opportunity, cultural conflicts and income gaps, as they apply in this century, not the last one. And yes, white supremacists could be part of the discussion, but I would still regard them as a long discredited fringe phenomenon.

Discussions that claim to be trying to improve a situation by focusing on pigmentation and ancestry and then trying to determine the most diplomatic - or fashionable - words and postures to use when speaking to people, depending on how dark their skin appears, are to me, beyond ridiculous. It's a way of perpetuating the idea that 'race' is important, that it should define who we are as persons.

Anyway, thanks for asking. I don't think I'll rejoin this thread.
Lorentz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 10:24 AM   #522
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Lorentz View Post
I'd join a discussion about discrimination, inequality of opportunity, cultural conflicts and income gaps, as they apply in this century, not the last one.
...because history is irrelevant to the present?

However, I'd like a discussion that doesn't focus on skin pigmentation or whose ancestors five generations removed did what to whom.
Current American society, for better or worse, bases social class/caste differentiation partially on skin pigmentation. Pretending that it doesn't is a denial of reality.

Yes, the goal should be that skin pigmentation makes no difference, but you cannot improve things without acknowledging how things are and what effect those differentiations have had on society.
Old 13th September 2017, 10:30 AM   #523
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post

Current American society, for better or worse, bases social class/caste differentiation partially on skin pigmentation. Pretending that it doesn't is a denial of reality.

Yes, the goal should be that skin pigmentation makes no difference, but you cannot improve things without acknowledging how things are and what effect those differentiations have had on society.
Society bases social class on many factors , what makes skin pigmentation the most important?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 10:43 AM   #524
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Society bases social class on many factors , what makes skin pigmentation the most important?
Originally? No idea. It shouldn't be, but you can't reasonably deny that it still is.
Old 13th September 2017, 10:44 AM   #525
Lorentz
Muse

Meh, thought we were done. I still have more to add, apparently.

Possibly "better"? I'm firmly on the side of worse there.

Quote:
I'm all for acknowledging causes. There's a lot of pigment-based discrimination in the U.S. and in many other countries to some probably lesser degree. Have I fulfilled the acknowledgement requirement?

I'm against obsessing on one characteristic that causes differentiation - pigmentation in your case - and then projecting feelings and experiences on them many or most don't even have, or don't have in the form you imagine, to the detriment of looking at the actual differentiations and what to do about them. I do get the impression that's where we fundamentally disagree.
Lorentz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 12:17 PM   #526
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Possibly "better"? I'm firmly on the side of worse there.
Relax. It's just an idiom.

I'm all for acknowledging causes. There's a lot of pigment-based discrimination in the U.S. and in many other countries to some probably lesser degree. Have I fulfilled the acknowledgement requirement?

I'm against obsessing on one characteristic that causes differentiation - pigmentation in your case - and then projecting feelings and experiences on them many or most don't even have, or don't have in the form you imagine, to the detriment of looking at the actual differentiations and what to do about them. I do get the impression that's where we fundamentally disagree.
I'm not obsessing on it. I'm simply not ignoring or refusing to talk about it.

What do you think are the "actual differentiations" in American society?
Old 13th September 2017, 12:46 PM   #527
Lorentz
Muse

What do you think are the "actual differentiations" in American society?
Interesting question. I haven't lived there, only visited, so wouldn't regard myself as an expert, but here's my best guess:
1) Wealth (rich, wealthy, middle class, blue collar, poor)
2) Education (Ivy league, average college, community college, high school, dropout)
3) Ethnicity (caucasians, asians, first generation immigrants - skin colour not so relevant with these, as I understand -, Eastern Europeans, Latinos, African Americans. Maybe the last two groups are comparable, unsure)
4) Attire and haircuts (suits, quality leisure wear, torn jeans) and accent
5) Local origins (West Coast, East Coast, the rest), although which is treated better entirely depends
5) Religion (Protestant, Catholic, other, muslim, atheist).
6) Gender (unsure here - seems to have pros and cons depending on context, but probably more detrimental to women on average)

All of the above usually judged within a few minutes after first encounter, based on cues like clothing, body posture, neighbourhood, accent, pronunciation and elocution, apparent companions.

Wealth is the biggie. Everywhere. You doubt it?
Old 13th September 2017, 01:04 PM   #528
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Wealth is the biggie. Everywhere. You doubt it?
Like a wealthy tennis player standing outside a nice hotel in New York should probably not be treated like a thug by police just because he has a dark pigment? Yeah, I doubt it.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 01:22 PM   #529
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

2) Education (Ivy league, average college, community college, high school, dropout)
Like a Harvard University professor being arrested entering into his own residence? Yeah, I doubt it.

ETA: It may be a cultural misunderstanding but, in the US, the terms "race" and "ethnicity" are largely interchangeable. I'm not sure where you're going with that one.

Last edited by Upchurch; 13th September 2017 at 01:25 PM.
Upchurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 01:36 PM   #530
Lorentz
Muse

Like a Harvard University professor being arrested entering into his own residence? Yeah, I doubt it.

ETA: It may be a cultural misunderstanding but, in the US, the terms "race" and "ethnicity" are largely interchangeable. I'm not sure where you're going with that one.
It may well be, but Caucasian Americans, Eastern Europeans, Western Europeans, Russians have similar pigmentation, but very different ethnicities and are perceived and treated differently.

Similarly, Caribbean blacks or African immigrants are different ethnicities from African Americans. They get treated very differently in the U.S. - according to one African immigrant I know anyway.

Given this whole variety - why this obsessive focus on African Americans only? And why is how you address them and what words you may use the most important thing ever? Why is it worth spending so much time thinking about words, disregarding individual context?

You address a person as a person. Two different persons do not have the exact same experiences, whether they have similar pigments or not, even if they're from the same country or the same city. Nobody should try to speak for all of a given ethnicity or background - those who do not share that background even less so.
Old 13th September 2017, 01:43 PM   #531
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

Are you sure you're not obsessed. Dr. Keith's response was fallacious enough without you adding a second example.
Old 13th September 2017, 01:56 PM   #532
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Are you sure you're not obsessed. Dr. Keith's response was fallacious enough without you adding a second example.
Why "fallacious"? They are illustrations of what is known about from statistics.

In the first case, they said that the victim looked like another person who also turned out to be innocent.

It would be very interesting to see what the four misconduct charges were against the officer, and whether the previous charges independently support each other.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 04:01 AM   #533
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Non whites need to learn to be more careful about being seen in their own neighborhoods.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8e1249ca22a3
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 11:02 AM   #534
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Why "fallacious"?
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote:
They are illustrations of what is known about from statistics.
But yes, I think the data confirms the anecdotes are not outliers. Wealth makes being black easier, but negative impact of being black is not eclipsed by wealth alone. But, I'm taking the sunmaster14 approach to this: why should I find evidence for this when it will either be dismissed or the goal posts will be moved. Waste of my time and theirs.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events