ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 10th October 2017, 03:40 PM   #921
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7,551
Summary of the state of the thread:

Despite multiple people claiming to be able to prophesy by one definition or another, we have yet to find a single prophesy that came true.

We have had a few vague, obvious guesses that came kinda close to the mark, but those came mostly from people quoting newspaper horoscopes.

The failed prophets have typically responded to their failures with excuses, hubris, and vague warnings about supernatural retribution for those who don’t believe. None of those warnings have come true either.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 04:23 PM   #922
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,886
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Summary of the state of the thread:

Despite multiple people claiming to be able to prophesy by one definition or another, we have yet to find a single prophesy that came true.

We have had a few vague, obvious guesses that came kinda close to the mark, but those came mostly from people quoting newspaper horoscopes.

The failed prophets have typically responded to their failures with excuses, hubris, and vague warnings about supernatural retribution for those who don’t believe. None of those warnings have come true either.
You missed the "kicking the can down the road" tactic, a favourite of failed prophets.

While PartSkeptic, in fairness, conceded his Sept 2017 nuke failure, the claim then morphed into sometime in the next five months. Harold Camping tried that a few times and the only thing that stopped him going further was that he made the error of missing the can and kicking the bucket instead.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 10:19 PM   #923
PartSkeptic
Master Poster
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 2,352
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Or...
You could do some research before you post. As I said.
You are proving my point without my having to find that post- thank you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogoen...ender_violence

This is the guy you said 'didn't brag' about his Christianity.

He did not brag about his Christianity. He was quite open about it, and used it to inform his moral judgments. He has made judgements that make many South Africans proud. The words you use make your statements objectively in error.

I have said that committed Christian are morally strong to the point that a number such as the judge as willing to die to stand up to evil. He is an example.

Show me an atheist who has taken such a stand. (Note: I do not say there is not one. My opinion is that they are very few, and I wonder where their principles come from.)

I did not know he was a lay preacher, but I never said he was not.

My words are being twisted and interpreted wrongly. You (and others) then argue using your incorrect interpretation. When I try to correct your twisting I am accused of "weasel-wording" and "back-tracking".
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 10:22 PM   #924
PartSkeptic
Master Poster
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 2,352
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
You missed the "kicking the can down the road" tactic, a favourite of failed prophets.

While PartSkeptic, in fairness, conceded his Sept 2017 nuke failure, the claim then morphed into sometime in the next five months. Harold Camping tried that a few times and the only thing that stopped him going further was that he made the error of missing the can and kicking the bucket instead.

Here is an example of misinterpreting what I post. I posted 5 predictions. You insist on conflating them into a single prediction. While some are interlinked, they are to stand alone. Go back and check my original post. So far one is wrong. The others still are pending.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 10:40 PM   #925
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14,284
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Here is an example of misinterpreting what I post. I posted 5 predictions. You insist on conflating them into a single prediction. While some are interlinked, they are to stand alone. Go back and check my original post. So far one is wrong. The others still are pending.
And here you go, still trying to rewrite history so you win. They cannot be "interlinked" and also stand alone. You were given a summary of your predictions rendered as individually testable events. You were asked whether you agreed to that breakdown. You didn't object until you started losing.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 12:53 AM   #926
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,837
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Here is an example of misinterpreting what I post. I posted 5 predictions. You insist on conflating them into a single prediction. While some are interlinked, they are to stand alone. Go back and check my original post. So far one is wrong. The others still are pending.
You had ample opportunity to correct the way I had interpreted your list of questions and answers when converting them into testable predictions before the first one in a pair I had linked failed. Re-reading your original list the question and answer that produced the September date still looks to me like an attempt to narrow down the "a war between the US and NK will start sometime in the next six months" information from the first question to a more specific date.

You must see why not correcting my summary until after the first of a linked pair failed is being seen as retrospective reinterpretation. Please don't take the fact that I allowed you to do it as meaning that I don't also see it in the same way.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:20 AM   #927
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,834
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
He did not brag about his Christianity. He was quite open about it, and used it to inform his moral judgments. He has made judgements that make many South Africans proud. The words you use make your statements objectively in error.
Nope. You used the word 'brag' in your original post, not I. You meant he was quiet about it. Now you've been shown up, you're trying to wriggle out of it. I thought religious people were supposed to be models of honesty?

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I have said that committed Christian are morally strong to the point that a number such as the judge as willing to die to stand up to evil. He is an example.
Has he been killed for his beliefs?
Also an appeal to No True Scotsman. Where were these committed Christians when the Catholic Church was abusing children on a vast scale? Just one of any number of examples.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Show me an atheist who has taken such a stand. (Note: I do not say there is not one. My opinion is that they are very few, and I wonder where their principles come from.)
Trivially easy.
Here are 48 people who died for being publically atheist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack..._in_Bangladesh

Again, just one example of many. I suggest you read the news from time to time.
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I did not know he was a lay preacher, but I never said he was not.
No, you said he kept his faith to himself, which was clearly not true, and was something you would have known had you done any research before you posted.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post

My words are being twisted and interpreted wrongly. You (and others) then argue using your incorrect interpretation. When I try to correct your twisting I am accused of "weasel-wording" and "back-tracking".
Playing the victim won't help you either. No-one is twisting your words. You post without checking your facts, which is a silly thing to do on a skeptics' forum.
About New Zealand: on what are you basing your claim that there aren't many churches there? Is this a fact, based on research, or is it just that you didn't notice many when you were there? Your claim your burden of proof. What number of churches per capita would you consider 'not many', and what is the actual figure in New Zealand?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:43 AM   #928
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,837
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
You post without checking your facts, which is a silly thing to do on a skeptics' forum.
About New Zealand: on what are you basing your claim that there aren't many churches there? Is this a fact, based on research, or is it just that you didn't notice many when you were there?
PartSkeptic has consistently assumed that whatever impression he has formed from what he has personally noticed or read is a more reliable source of facts than decades of carefully conducted research. It's the fundamental mistake he keeps making, and the one he seems most resistant to correcting.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 02:44 AM   #929
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,834
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8#post11821588

Here is your original post.
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic
The criteria is actions not words that are Christian - selfless and for the common good. And fooling others will not fool God, and will count negatively.

Words in which one claims to be a Christian but are used to fool others are the words of a scam artist - selfish and for the good of self.

Ask just about any South African if they think Zuma is a giving compassionate person who has the common good in mind. Beware the fit of laughter.

Corruption on an enormous scale. Self-enrichment. Scorn. Nepotism. Having unprotected sex with a friends niece in the friend’s house. Charged with rape. Polygamist. The list goes on.

The Chief Justice and the Public Protector are admired for their courage and honesty. And are deep Christians who do not brag about being Christian.

My reply:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1#post11824751

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak
PartSkeptic, one of these days you are going to learn to do some research before you post, unless you actually enjoy the very public spankings you keep getting.
The Chief Justice's name is Mogoeng Mogoeng, and Wikipedia has this to say about him:

Quote:
But the most widespread concerns were about Mogoeng's judgments in rape and gender-violence cases. The Nobel Women's Initiative accused Mogoeng of invoking dangerous myths about rape and of victim-blaming. Of the many judgments cited by critics in which Mogoeng had been lenient on rapists and domestic assailants, three were emphasised. In State v Sebaeng, Mogoeng reduced the sentence of a child rapist on the basis that he had been non-violent and indeed "tender" in raping the victim. The 2005 case of State v Moipolai involved the rape of a pregnant woman by her long-term boyfriend. Despite several aggravating factors, Mogoeng reduced the man's sentence from ten years' imprisonment to five because the rape was, he said, not as serious as if a stranger had committed it. Finally, in State v Mathebe, Mogoeng reduced the sentence, from two years' imprisonment to a fine of R4,000, of a man who had tied his girlfriend to his car and dragged her 50 meters along a dirt road. Mogoeng's explanation was that the man had been "provoked" by the victim. When these three judgments were raised in a BBC interview, Mogoeng compared his judgments in sexual-assault cases to a game of football, saying it would be wrong to call Manchester United a bad team because it loses three matches in a season.
This is the 'deep Christian' you were talking about, is it? Nice.

As for his "not bragging about being Christian",
Quote:
Mogoeng is a lay preacher in the Pentecostal Winners' Chapel. He attributed the criticism over his nomination and appointment to his Christian faith. But in Mogoeng's view, stated at his JSC interview, God wanted him to be Chief Justice.

Concern about Mogoeng's religious conservatism did not abate during his tenure. In March 2012 he was publicly criticised for requesting judges to attend a leadership conference hosted by Christian evangelist John C. Maxwell, raising concerns about the separation of church and judiciary. And in May 2014 he gave a speech at Stellenbosch University arguing that religion should infuse the law to a greater extent, "starting with the Constitution". He quoted from the Bible, compared the three branches of government to the Holy Trinity and railed against social evils like "fornication". Mogoeng's speech sparked a media furore, in response to which he sought to offer clarification. The resulting press conference seemed to confirm rather than allay the media's fears.
Once again, the gulf between your self-proclaimed all-round superiority and the actual situation is abundantly and (for you, at least) embarrassingly evident.
I would once again recommend a minimum of basic research before you post.
That was in response to this exchange:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post11814504
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic
There is a live broadcast of the Chief Justice of the South Africa and the Constitutional Court. At a conference of African Judiciary. He is urging all judges to fight corruption. That they should be prepared to die fighting corruption. (As some did in Ghana apparently.) That they must be free of corruption in order to fight the scourge.

He is opposing some very powerful and very corrupt politicians led by President Zuma.

Powerful speech. The nation's respect (and mine) for this man has grown by leaps and bounds because of his actions.

They are Christians who are unafraid. Last night I watched a part of Malcolm X. A religious and principled man from the parts I saw.

These are actions which many take as evidence of the power of faith in God.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2#post11815352

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak
But Jacob Zuma is:
Quote:
In a 2006 interview he stated that “I start from basic Christian principles. Christianity is part of what I am; in a way it was the foundation for all my political beliefs”
Source

Quite apart from this being quite staggeringly off-topic, and presumably also a dodge to avoid having to acknowledge the fact that your earlier points have been comprehensively demolished, is this example of massive corruption by a Christian supposed to bolster your claim that religion makes people more moral?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 06:03 AM   #930
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7,551
Well, it looks like the thread is winding down again, now that ParkSkeptic has entered the "excuses for failure" stage of being a false prophet. I was tempted to entice Johanabrahams to this thread, but it turns out his act is REALLY repetitive. No replay value there.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 11:00 AM   #931
PartSkeptic
Master Poster
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 2,352
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
PartSkeptic has consistently assumed that whatever impression he has formed from what he has personally noticed or read is a more reliable source of facts than decades of carefully conducted research. It's the fundamental mistake he keeps making, and the one he seems most resistant to correcting.

A fundamental mistake you keep making is to trust so-called research into determining how a population will vote by taking a poll. You do not take into account the way the poll is conducted may skew the result far more than the margin of error. Example. It was assumed that the Amish would not vote because the never bothered to vote before, so they were not polled. They did not have telephones. They turned out in large numbers for Trump.

Part of my personal conviction that Trump had a chance was that the polls had overlooked how the people in rural and middle America felt. I had the benefit of traveling and talking to such people, as well as the East Coasters.

I also thought that Brexit and the British elections would defy the polls because of indications that people wanted change.

You extend this to other so-called research on which countries are religious or moral.

You are so committed to "scientific method" that you are blind to the limitations. So certain are you that you make the assumption that I MUST be wrong about an objective truth like whether or not NZ is a Christian nation.

You do not see the issue as debatable. You see a "proven" FACT .
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 11:09 AM   #932
PartSkeptic
Master Poster
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 2,352
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
(Snip)
I give up. Not because I admit to being wrong - quite the opposite - but because I cannot debate with someone who has trouble differentiating the real world from the false interpretation and opinions of both real and fake media.

Way off topic as you say.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 11:12 AM   #933
PartSkeptic
Master Poster
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 2,352
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
And here you go, still trying to rewrite history so you win. They cannot be "interlinked" and also stand alone. You were given a summary of your predictions rendered as individually testable events. You were asked whether you agreed to that breakdown. You didn't object until you started losing.

You assume that my silence was agreement. It never was. It was frustration, and still is.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 11:21 AM   #934
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14,284
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You assume that my silence was agreement.
As is reasonable to do. Pixel42 specifically said, when presenting his revised breakdown of your claims, that he would interpret silence as nihil obstat. This is reasonable because you tried to benefit from the ambiguity during the previous iteration. The list was presented early, and featured in discussions in which you participated. Your participation was, not unreasonably, seen as consent to the formulation. You did not object to the numbered list until items on that list started failing. Then you tried to retrospectively claim that you had never consented to it and that we should have interpreted your silence earlier on the subject as a rebuff, not as consent, even though there was no evidence to suggest that.

Pixel42 revised the list according to your objections, specifically asked your approval, and specifically explained to you how your silence pursuant to that request would be interpreted. You were fairly warned. Under those circumstances it is disingenuous of you to once again maintain a silence whose ambiguity gives you an escape route when things go badly for you. This time we fixed that.

Quote:
It never was. It was frustration, and still is.
Then that's on you. Stop blaming your critics for your own erratic behavior.

Last edited by JayUtah; 11th October 2017 at 11:43 AM.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 11:24 AM   #935
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14,284
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
...but because I cannot debate with someone who has trouble differentiating the real world from the false interpretation and opinions of both real and fake media.
Standard fringe-claimant brushoff: blame the critics' alleged naivete for one's own failure to make a convincing argument.

Last edited by JayUtah; 11th October 2017 at 11:44 AM.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 11:32 AM   #936
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14,284
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
A fundamental mistake you keep making is to trust so-called research into determining how a population will vote by taking a poll.
Straw man. The topic at hand was the churches in New Zealand, not Donald Trump's performance in the election versus in public polling or polling in general. Pixel42's response referred to the characterization of churches in New Zealand, but then made a general comment which I find true enough to stand by: you consider your personal impressions on a subject to be immediately and unequivocally superior to the best evidence and knowledge available via better sources.

In the case of Tarot, you value your impression of acceptable methodology and purpose over that practiced by those who have thousands of times more experience than you. You vaunt your seat-of-the-pants approach over the empirical approach shown by others who have developed their own techniques. You simply assume you're automatically better at it than others, and you sidestep all the information to the contrary.

Similarly in the case of engineering, which you touched on briefly, you once again advocated a brief, seat-of-the-pants approach over accepted standards and practices, and you insisted this made you better, intuitively so, than your supposed peers who were hobbled compared to you.

The pattern of assuming one's own intuitive understanding is automatically better than that obtained by more reliable, more empirical, and more objective methods is not unique to you. I've found it to be common among some elements of the fringe, especially practitioners of alternative healing techniques. You're not being personally accused of anything nefarious. We're just noting that you fall into a well-known pattern.

Last edited by JayUtah; 11th October 2017 at 12:26 PM.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 11:44 AM   #937
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,886
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
A fundamental mistake you keep making is to trust so-called research into determining how a population will vote by taking a poll. You do not take into account the way the poll is conducted may skew the result far more than the margin of error. Example. It was assumed that the Amish would not vote because the never bothered to vote before, so they were not polled. They did not have telephones. They turned out in large numbers for Trump.
First, where is your source for that claim.

Second, just how many Amish do you think there are? And how many voters who cast votes?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 12:10 PM   #938
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,837
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
A fundamental mistake you keep making is to trust so-called research into determining how a population will vote by taking a poll. You do not take into account the way the poll is conducted may skew the result far more than the margin of error. Example. It was assumed that the Amish would not vote because the never bothered to vote before, so they were not polled. They did not have telephones. They turned out in large numbers for Trump.

Part of my personal conviction that Trump had a chance was that the polls had overlooked how the people in rural and middle America felt. I had the benefit of traveling and talking to such people, as well as the East Coasters.

I also thought that Brexit and the British elections would defy the polls because of indications that people wanted change.

You extend this to other so-called research on which countries are religious or moral.

You are so committed to "scientific method" that you are blind to the limitations. So certain are you that you make the assumption that I MUST be wrong about an objective truth like whether or not NZ is a Christian nation.

You do not see the issue as debatable. You see a "proven" FACT .
Collecting large amounts of data and analysing it statistically is always going to be a vastly more reliable way to establish facts than forming an impression based on what one happens to personally observe. That doesn't mean the former is always going to be right or the latter always wrong, but that's the way to bet.

I have no idea how Christian New Zealand is, but if I wanted to find out I would not ask you.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2017, 02:16 AM   #939
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,834
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I give up. Not because I admit to being wrong - quite the opposite - but because I cannot debate with someone who has trouble differentiating the real world from the false interpretation and opinions of both real and fake media.

Way off topic as you say.
Ths whole part of the discussion began because you appeared to be unable to admit your mistakes, and also to learn anything from your participation here. I think this point has now been conclusively proven.
You clearly did not process your original errors regarding Mogoeng, and repeated them in the more recent reference you made to him. Moreover, you accused me of simply making things up. When I dug up your original post, showing this not to be the case, you responded by dismissing it all as a) my problem and b) the work of fake media. You have then doubly proved my point by refusing to admit you were wrong.
I seem to remember someone called Jesus praising the meek and the humble. For someone who admires Christianity, you seem awfully distant from its message.
We have seen you flounce before, and return almost immediately. Assuming you will repeat this pattern, when you return to our debate, perhaps you could explain to me which part of what I said came from 'fake media' , and which parts of the information about Mogoeng you think I am confused about?
It will give us both something to do while we wait for the rest of your prophecies not to come true.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 05:45 AM   #940
PartSkeptic
Master Poster
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 2,352
More human to human transmission - tied to poverty and unsanitary conditions. No, not in Africa but the heart of liberal America.

This strain brought to you from South Africa.

Quote:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...-could-last-ye

...California’s outbreak, however, is spreading from person to person, mostly among the homeless community.

...But, as the LA Times points out, the hepatitis A outbreak that started in San Diego is now on the verge of reaching statewide epidemic status, as cases have spread through homeless tent cities all the way north to Sacramento.

California’s outbreak of hepatitis A, already the nation’s second largest in the last 20 years, could continue for many months, even years, health officials said Thursday.

At least 569 people have been infected and 17 have died of the virus since November in San Diego, Santa Cruz and Los Angeles counties, where local outbreaks have been declared.

...California, with 115,738 homeless, now accounts for about 21 percent of America’s total homeless population. Due to legal settlements against vagrancy laws, about 72.3 percent of California’s homeless are unsheltered, usually living in tent cities.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 06:43 AM   #941
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,837
[Checks BBC news front page]

Nope, still no serious global health problem emerging.

Tick tock.

Still waiting for the storm too. Though happy for the calm to continue.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 06:57 AM   #942
StackOverflow
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
More human to human transmission - tied to poverty and unsanitary conditions. No, not in Africa but the heart of liberal America.

This strain brought to you from South Africa.
Zerohedge.com. LOL. Did anyone read the comments under this piece of garbage?



PS, what's your opinion on Apartheid?

Not really interested in an answer, just giving you more material to troll and lie for attention

Last edited by StackOverflow; 14th October 2017 at 06:59 AM.
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 10:35 AM   #943
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7,551
Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
Zerohedge.com. LOL. Did anyone read the comments under this piece of garbage?







PS, what's your opinion on Apartheid?



Not really interested in an answer, just giving you more material to troll and lie for attention


This crap is still going on?

Man, debunked, would-be prophets are a stubborn lot, even when they’ve failed catastrophically.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 01:32 PM   #944
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,834
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
More human to human transmission - tied to poverty and unsanitary conditions. No, not in Africa but the heart of liberal America.

This strain brought to you from South Africa.
There is a vaccine against Hep A which is mentioned in the article you quote. Strange how you neglected to quote that part, seeing as it destroys the idea that this could be the beginning of the global pandemic you prophesied.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 01:34 PM   #945
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,834
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Ths whole part of the discussion began because you appeared to be unable to admit your mistakes, and also to learn anything from your participation here. I think this point has now been conclusively proven.
You clearly did not process your original errors regarding Mogoeng, and repeated them in the more recent reference you made to him. Moreover, you accused me of simply making things up. When I dug up your original post, showing this not to be the case, you responded by dismissing it all as a) my problem and b) the work of fake media. You have then doubly proved my point by refusing to admit you were wrong.
I seem to remember someone called Jesus praising the meek and the humble. For someone who admires Christianity, you seem awfully distant from its message.
We have seen you flounce before, and return almost immediately. Assuming you will repeat this pattern, when you return to our debate, perhaps you could explain to me which part of what I said came from 'fake media' , and which parts of the information about Mogoeng you think I am confused about?
It will give us both something to do while we wait for the rest of your prophecies not to come true.
I'm a prophet! Cool.
Now, how about answering my questions? I'm always open to advice about how to avoid fake news.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 02:21 PM   #946
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7,551
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
There is a vaccine against Hep A which is mentioned in the article you quote. Strange how you neglected to quote that part, seeing as it destroys the idea that this could be the beginning of the global pandemic you prophesied.


Well, if he believes vaccines cause autism, anything that causes an uptick in vaccination might be seen as a pandemic. You gota squint and turn your head a bit to make it work, but it’s well within the cognitive abilities of any religious prophet, anti-vax activist or yeti abuse advocate.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 03:16 PM   #947
Peregrinus
Muse
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 971
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
... within the cognitive abilities of any religious prophet, anti-vax activist or yeti abuse advocate.
I see cognitive dissonance in that. Or were you being gracious?
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 06:31 PM   #948
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7,551
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
I see cognitive dissonance in that. Or were you being gracious?


I was being a sarcastic jackass. Clearly my mockery of would-be prophets was entirely too subtle. My apologies.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 06:19 AM   #949
Peregrinus
Muse
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 971
Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
I was being a sarcastic jackass. Clearly my mockery of would-be prophets was entirely too subtle. My apologies.
Noted. Sarcasm & irony often do not play well on the internet stage.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:42 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.