ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags labour party , NATO issues , UK issues , uk politics

Old 16th October 2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Giz
Philosopher

Young Labour vote for UK to leave NATO

It appears the youthful side of the party is even more bonkers than Corbyn and McDonnell.

From article:

Young Labour demanded the UK ditch the military alliance after voting to support a motion called “support Corbyn and internationalism, oppose Trump and NATO”.

The motion said: “From Guyana to Vietnam to Iraq, the Labour Party all too often been complicit in American overseas aggression. NATO has been the lynchpin and institutional expression of American imperialism.”

Labour’s youth section called for an end to the UK’s membership to the alliance claiming NATO’s “continual aggression” made us less safe.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...-Jeremy-Corbyn

A lot of silly youngsters seem to have swallowed fake news. Bigly.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Quite right. NATO keeps poking it's nose in to wars it shouldn't be having anything to do with.
Why is NATO involved in anything that isn't a direct defensive action to protect NATO territory from aggression?

Shouldn't be pissing around bombing in the middle east for example. If America want to bomb in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria etc then they should do it under their own name and persuade any allies they can find to join them. It shouldn't be done in the name of NATO.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 10:59 AM   #3
Argumemnon
World Maker

Was NATO supposed to be entirely defensive?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Quite right. NATO keeps poking it's nose in to wars it shouldn't be having anything to do with.
Why is NATO involved in anything that isn't a direct defensive action to protect NATO territory from aggression?

Shouldn't be pissing around bombing in the middle east for example. If America want to bomb in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria etc then they should do it under their own name and persuade any allies they can find to join them. It shouldn't be done in the name of NATO.

Afghanistan
I seem to remember Afghanistan being involved in an attack on NATO territory.

Similarly for areas in Eastern Europe or the Mediterranean basin, if there is a coup, conflict or a failed state brewing.... that is a legitimate security/stability concern for nearby NATO territory.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 04:06 PM   #5
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Corbyn the Internationalist that is in favour of Brexit and against the free movement of labour and immigration.
Old 16th October 2017, 04:19 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
In Afghanistan, NATO was responding to an attack on a NATO member's home soil. Remember 9/11?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Still there and still responding.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 06:14 PM   #8
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yes.
And in 1995, the Alliance, all 16 nations in it at the time, Changed Their Minds and made "out of area operations" OK. This was a political decision in 16 capitals.
See Bosnia
See bombing Serbia
See supporting Kosovars
See a variety of other sequels, to include ISAF. (Still a sitcom running on most major networks, unless you prefer to call it a sittrag).

You are about 22 years late to the party, my friend. Do catch up, will you?
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 06:49 PM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed, the role of NATO had to expand from pure mutual defense to broader underwriting of regional security and peacekeeping. The Soviet Union kept the lid on a lot of civil unrest in Eastern Europe, even as it posed an existential threat to Western Europe.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 07:38 PM   #10
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

I have very mixed feelings about this whole NATO "non Article V" operations thing, even though I was involved in more than one, and some years later when I was working some OEF operations, I was surely glad to see and work with some of our Allies in that effort.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 07:39 PM   #11
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Indeed, the role of NATO had to expand from pure mutual defense to broader underwriting of regional security and peacekeeping. The Soviet Union kept the lid on a lot of civil unrest in Eastern Europe, even as it posed an existential threat to Western Europe.
So much for pure defence. You may have noticed that the USSR has been out of existence for three decades, so didn't exist in 9/11. And now NATO is extending into former Soviet territory. So maybe the Young Labourites aren't so bonkers after all.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 07:40 PM   #12
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Craig, what do you mean by "former Soviet Territory" in that post. Poland, for example, was not Soviet Territory ... or was it? (The damned fool attempt to try and include Georgia in 2008 failed).

Are you referring to the Baltic States, who did not appreciate being appropriated by the USSR in the 40's?
Old 17th October 2017, 03:50 AM   #13
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
It appears the youthful side of the party is even more bonkers than Corbyn and McDonnell.

From article:

Young Labour demanded the UK ditch the military alliance after voting to support a motion called “support Corbyn and internationalism, oppose Trump and NATO”.

The motion said: “From Guyana to Vietnam to Iraq, the Labour Party all too often been complicit in American overseas aggression. NATO has been the lynchpin and institutional expression of American imperialism.”

Labour’s youth section called for an end to the UK’s membership to the alliance claiming NATO’s “continual aggression” made us less safe.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...-Jeremy-Corbyn

A lot of silly youngsters seem to have swallowed fake news. Bigly.
Which of the three interventions mentioned in the OP did the UK participate in as part of a NATO operation?
Old 17th October 2017, 04:01 AM   #14
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Craig, what do you mean by "former Soviet Territory" in that post. Poland, for example, was not Soviet Territory ... or was it? (The damned fool attempt to try and include Georgia in 2008 failed).

Are you referring to the Baltic States, who did not appreciate being appropriated by the USSR in the 40's?
Were these states part of the USSR or not? No, they didn't appreciate being incorporated into that empire. Who said they did? No attempt was made in 2008 to include Georgia (or any other place) into Soviet Territory.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 07:24 PM   #15
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Craig, I was referring to the abortive attempt by the West to reach out and try to get a consensus in NATO to bring Georgia in to NATO, which failed at the political level. I was not referring to the kerfluffle between Georgia and Russia. The damned fool attempt I was referring to got a lot of vocal support on this side of the pond among neocons.
Old 18th October 2017, 01:40 AM   #16
Hubert Cumberdale
Muse

I missed the bit where the Labour Party sent troops to Vietnam.

Basically, this is student poltics and is, as expected, a dumpster fire of self indulgent idiocy completely detached from the world of grown-ups.

The only worry is the amount of influence Momentumentalists seems to have on what could be the next governing party.
Old 18th October 2017, 01:53 AM   #17
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Craig, I was referring to the abortive attempt by the West to reach out and try to get a consensus in NATO to bring Georgia in to NATO, which failed at the political level. I was not referring to the kerfluffle between Georgia and Russia. The damned fool attempt I was referring to got a lot of vocal support on this side of the pond among neocons.
I was referring to the fact that in 2008 there was no longer any such thing as Soviet territory for neocons or anyone else to encroach upon.
Old 19th October 2017, 05:59 AM   #18
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hubert Cumberdale View Post
I missed the bit where the Labour Party sent troops to Vietnam.
The reference to "Guyana" was puzzling, as well, but presumably refers to this:

BBC News: 1953 - Britain sends troops to Guiana

Still puzzling, though, given that that was British intervention in an existing colony, with no apparent American angle (although the CIA was subsequently "helpful"), just as Vietnam was an American affair with minimal UK involvement (IIRC the US at one point was seeking to prosecute British firms for "trading with the [North Vietnamese] enemy"!).

Bloody students...

Last edited by Information Analyst; 19th October 2017 at 06:03 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 06:15 AM   #19
Argumemnon
World Maker

Yes.
And in 1995, the Alliance, all 16 nations in it at the time, Changed Their Minds and made "out of area operations" OK. This was a political decision in 16 capitals.
See Bosnia
See bombing Serbia
See supporting Kosovars
See a variety of other sequels, to include ISAF. (Still a sitcom running on most major networks, unless you prefer to call it a sittrag).

You are about 22 years late to the party, my friend. Do catch up, will you?
Late to the party? What are you on about? I asked a question about the intended role of NATO.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 02:32 PM   #20
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

It isn't. Just because some NATO members are involved doesn't make it a NATO operation.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics