IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand elections , New Zealand politics

Old 19th October 2017, 12:16 AM   #241
cullennz
Banned

Yaayy! We have government again!!

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 12:19 AM   #242
cullennz
Banned

Assuming the Greens agree to it after their meeting presumably

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 12:21 AM   #243
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

So what will Peters get? Deputy PM?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 02:08 AM   #244
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Still concerned that these three parties have promised a big spend up. Where is the money going to come from?
My guess is that like all election promises, they'll be quietly forgotten.

Interesting fact: despite Labour's intended water tax, their highest increase in votes was in rural/regional areas, while the liberals of Auckland grew the blue vote.

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So what will Peters get? Deputy PM?
He's been offered it, but whether he takes it or not is up in the air. I expect he will, but he's also saying he has a range of Cabinet positions open, so may stick with that.

He was pretty useful at Foreign Affairs in the past, and after many years of the fat slug, Gerry Brownlee, our international friends would be glad to see him.
Old 19th October 2017, 02:50 AM   #245
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Interesting fact: despite Labour's intended water tax, their highest increase in votes was in rural/regional areas, while the liberals of Auckland grew the blue vote.

He's been offered it, but whether he takes it or not is up in the air. I expect he will, but he's also saying he has a range of Cabinet positions open, so may stick with that.

He was pretty useful at Foreign Affairs in the past, and after many years of the fat slug, Gerry Brownlee, our international friends would be glad to see him.
I dream of being reincarnated as a Foreign Minister. See the world without ever putting your hand in your pocket, and get to piss off when things get hot at home. At his age, it would be a wonderful stipend.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 03:05 AM   #246
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I think the water tax will be a dead duck... Peters opposed it from the outset. He may still allow tax on exported bottle water, but I can't see him allowing the farmers to be hammered with it.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 03:10 AM   #247
cullennz
Banned

By many years of brownlee as foreign minister , do you mean the 5 months?

Old 19th October 2017, 03:24 AM   #248
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

Yep. McCully was MFA since 2008

Mr Slug was Christchurch rebuild guy that did nothing but get in everyone's way, kept himself busy dreaming up lame excuses for why things weren't getting done, and generally peeing everyone off.

Last edited by smartcooky; 19th October 2017 at 03:28 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 03:47 AM   #249
cullennz
Banned

Yep. McCully was MFA since 2008

Mr Slug was Christchurch rebuild guy that did nothing but get in everyone's way, kept himself busy dreaming up lame excuses for why things weren't getting done, and generally peeing everyone off.
Indeed

Old 19th October 2017, 11:09 AM   #250
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yep. Should have been McCully & Brownlee.

McCully isn't as fat, but was as worthless.
Old 19th October 2017, 12:09 PM   #251
cullennz
Banned

Yep. Should have been McCully & Brownlee.

McCully isn't as fat, but was as worthless.
While I agree Brownlee was a bit of a waste of space, your opinion of McCully is obviously highlighting the open irrational hatred of anything the last govt did.

You will be saying English killed babies next

But all good

Old 19th October 2017, 04:01 PM   #252
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps cockies can do the math better....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 06:11 PM   #253
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Perhaps cockies can do the math better....
Indeed.

My bro-in-law is a cocky down the coast. In the last five or six years he has spent over $45,000 (plus paid time for his farm manager) doing riperian planting of his waterways and streams, and he refrained from using those paddocks and areas that he hadn't done yet. The idea of a water tax to him was an insult, so he has now stopped planting, and will wait until he hears what is going to happen with this new government. When I spoke to him this morning, he said words to the effect...

"**** 'em!. If they are going to charge me for my own water, then they can arrange for the plantings themselves, and pay for it out of the money they steal from me".

I can't say I disagree with this sentiment.

Old 19th October 2017, 08:15 PM   #254
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed.

My bro-in-law is a cocky down the coast. In the last five or six years he has spent over $45,000 (plus paid time for his farm manager) doing riperian planting of his waterways and streams, and he refrained from using those paddocks and areas that he hadn't done yet. The idea of a water tax to him was an insult, so he has now stopped planting, and will wait until he hears what is going to happen with this new government. When I spoke to him this morning, he said words to the effect...

"**** 'em!. If they are going to charge me for my own water, then they can arrange for the plantings themselves, and pay for it out of the money they steal from me".

I can't say I disagree with this sentiment.
From the information I was given, unless he has a irrigation scheme or a direct take from rivers, which he's had to get council approval for, his bill would be $0.00, and even those that are using irrigators won't be facing the bills that National and others claimed. I have direct from David Parker that the royalty will be 1-2 cents per meter cubed (i.e. 1,000 litres.) I worked out some time back that to be getting the massive bills of $60,000+ a year that was being claimed, farmers would have to be using the equivalent of 25 fire trucks at full pump 24/7 for the entire year, and if I recall right, I was working that at 10c not 1-2c.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 09:31 PM   #255
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

From the information I was given, unless he has a irrigation scheme or a direct take from rivers, which he's had to get council approval for, his bill would be $0.00, and even those that are using irrigators won't be facing the bills that National and others claimed. I have direct from David Parker that the royalty will be 1-2 cents per meter cubed (i.e. 1,000 litres.) I worked out some time back that to be getting the massive bills of $60,000+ a year that was being claimed, farmers would have to be using the equivalent of 25 fire trucks at full pump 24/7 for the entire year, and if I recall right, I was working that at 10c not 1-2c.
That's what you get when an announcement like that is handled so badly. Announcing that farmers were gong to pay a water tax, without giving any figures or details, and then insulting their intelligence by saying they would sort out the details after the election, was a very stupid thing to do. Politicians were asking for trust when they had done nothing to deserve it. Politicians have a really bad record in this country of *********** over New Zealand's primary producers.

PW, I don't know how old you are but do you remember when the Electricity industry was reformed? The government of the day (National IIRC because it was Max Bradford who did all the damage) guaranteed the New Zealand public that they would never sell the infrastructure. This guarantee came in the form of a deal they called "A Contract Carved in Stone". We'll it was actually written on dunny paper and was flushed down the bog pretty quickly. We ended up with dozens of line companies, some of whom extort their customers ruthlessly....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/8464...-challenge-tlc

Old 19th October 2017, 09:43 PM   #256
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

That's what you get when an announcement like that is handled so badly. Announcing that farmers were gong to pay a water tax, without giving any figures or details, and then insulting their intelligence by saying they would sort out the details after the election, was a very stupid thing to do. Politicians were asking for trust when they had done nothing to deserve it. Politicians have a really bad record in this country of *********** over New Zealand's primary producers.

PW, I don't know how old you are but do you remember when the Electricity industry was reformed? The government of the day (National IIRC because it was Max Bradford who did all the damage) guaranteed the New Zealand public that they would never sell the infrastructure. This guarantee came in the form of a deal they called "A Contract Carved in Stone". We'll it was actually written on dunny paper and was flushed down the bog pretty quickly. We ended up with dozens of line companies, some of whom extort their customers ruthlessly....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/8464...-challenge-tlc
I well remember it. I also remember that there was an advert by one of the generation companies (I think Contact) telling us how they were so much more efficient now and were producing power at 4% less cost, all the while putting up the prices almost monthly.

I also agree that they should have come out and given the 1-2c figure at the time, even if they noted that they hadn't determined exactly where that would be between the two. It gave their opponents a lot of ability to attack them whereas had they put it out there at the time, they'd have stopped a lot of speculation and damage. That I actually had to write to the party to get some details was a stupid move on their part.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 19th October 2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 19th October 2017, 11:33 PM   #257
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I well remember it. I also remember that there was an advert by one of the generation companies (I think Contact) telling us how they were so much more efficient now and were producing power at 4% less cost, all the while putting up the prices almost monthly.
Yep, my power bills more that doubled in six years despite the fact that I used about 20% less kWh over the same period. Electricity charges in NZ are a rort.

I also agree that they should have come out and given the 1-2c figure at the time, even if they noted that they hadn't determined exactly where that would be between the two. It gave their opponents a lot of ability to attack them whereas had they put it out there at the time, they'd have stopped a lot of speculation and damage. That I actually had to write to the party to get some details was a stupid move on their part.
I reckon its a dead duck now anyway. Winston has almost certainly killed the irrigation charges side of it, but will be happy to continue with the idea of charging exporting water bottlers.

Old 20th October 2017, 03:50 AM   #258
cullennz
Banned

Yep, my power bills more that doubled in six years despite the fact that I used about 20% less kWh over the same period. Electricity charges in NZ are a rort.

I reckon its a dead duck now anyway. Winston has almost certainly killed the irrigation charges side of it, but will be happy to continue with the idea of charging exporting water bottlers.
While ignoring the massive ones like coca cola

Old 20th October 2017, 04:03 AM   #259
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

At least they are selling the water back to NZer's and creating tax in the process. But then again, at the rates they are talking, Coca Cola wouldn't even notice it. Assuming every NZer drank a 2.5 litre of Coke Product a day, at a 10c royalty, that'd cost Coke $400,000. They just dropped $3 Billion on a advertising campaign because profits were down a few percent last quarter, less than half a million is chump change to them and NZers don't drink anywhere near that amount of their products.

Old 20th October 2017, 10:42 PM   #260
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

[quote=cullennz;12040815]While I agree Brownlee was a bit of a waste of space, your opinion of McCully is obviously highlighting the open irrational hatred of anything the last govt did.

You will be saying English killed babies next/QUOTE]

Sour grapes much?

As it happens, I rate English as a fairly reasonable bloke, despite being a Catholic and accordingly tainted with their perverted world view. He was a perfectly ok Finance Minister.

McCully is a clown, and has always been a clown.

I've posted on many occasions grudging respect for actions National took.

Your idea of what "irrational" means isn't what everyone else knows it means.
Old 20th October 2017, 11:14 PM   #261
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, but do they export the water to bottle Coke overseas? Nope, they bottle it here, creating jobs and paying tax in NZ

Old 20th October 2017, 11:43 PM   #262
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

As it happens, I rate English as a fairly reasonable bloke, despite being a Catholic and accordingly tainted with their perverted world view. He was a perfectly ok Finance Minister.
But not such a great chef... spaghetti and pineapple pizza? The man is a monster!

Old 20th October 2017, 11:48 PM   #263
cullennz
Banned

[quote=The Atheist;12042934]
While I agree Brownlee was a bit of a waste of space, your opinion of McCully is obviously highlighting the open irrational hatred of anything the last govt did.

You will be saying English killed babies next/QUOTE]

Sour grapes much?

McCully is a clown, and has always been a clown.

I've posted on many occasions grudging respect for actions National took.

Your idea of what "irrational" means isn't what everyone else knows it means.
Lol

Yeah right

Old 24th October 2017, 09:06 PM   #264
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Oh yeah, National Party - how about a little* salt to rub on those wounds?

*Depending on how little salt $600k buys.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11936632
Old 24th October 2017, 09:37 PM   #265
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Oh yeah, National Party - how about a little* salt to rub on those wounds?

*Depending on how little salt $600k buys.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11936632
LOL This reminds me of the time that tone deaf judges ruled that Men at Work's song "Down Under" (the flute sequence) plagiarized the children's song "Kookaburra sits on the old gum tree". The two tunes had nothing in common (and I have perfect pitch so I would know).
Old 24th October 2017, 11:42 PM   #266
cullennz
Banned

They covered their arse though

The distributer will end up paying

I like the way they apparently actually built the ad around the song and just replaced it with the rip off

Lol

Old 11th November 2017, 04:54 PM   #267
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

WaPo covering the outcome of the election is busily explaining to its readers about the far-right takeover of New Zealand.

A new career in Tui billboards is on the cards.

Some of the better reaction to it: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=11943158
Old 11th November 2017, 09:07 PM   #268
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

WaPo covering the outcome of the election is busily explaining to its readers about the far-right takeover of New Zealand.

A new career in Tui billboards is on the cards.

Some of the better reaction to it: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=11943158
That Washington Post article looks like a load of Horse Cock to me. The writer has clearly never been to NZ, never interviewed any NZ politicians and knows nothing about NZ.

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th November 2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 13th November 2017, 04:37 PM   #269
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

That Washington Post article looks like a load of Horse Cock to me. The writer has clearly never been to NZ, never interviewed any NZ politicians and knows nothing about NZ.
The writer actually trained and studied in New Zealand, the trouble is that he is so far leftwing that anything beyond the Greens looks like it's far right.

The main issue is Immigration. What the Author seems to fail to understand is that National's immigration policy was unsustainable. We were bringing 70,000 people a year into the country, the size of one of our medium cities! This is like adding a New Plymouth, Palmerston North, Nelson, Rotorua, or Whangarei to the country every singe year! We can't build fast enough, we can't create jobs fast enough, and our infrastructures, including things like schools and hospitals, can't handle it. Worse most of them are staying in Auckland causing massive issues with overpopulation and crowding. It's one of the main reasons that the average house price in Auckland hit a million dollars!

National wanted it because it helped to keep our "rockstar" GDP up, especially as the Christchurch rebuild starts to wind down, but the fact is that if we keep up that sort of immigration, the country is going to collapse on itself because we can't support that number of people arriving here every year, something had to give. NZ First and Labour recognise this and realise that we need to stop the flood gate that National opened and treat immigration sensibly so that we can make sure that those coming in can get houses and jobs, and so can New Zealanders who were born here! It's not about being Nationalistic or anti-immigrant, it's about making sure that the weight of people in the country doesn't sink us because we can't handle it, something that would make things worse for all of us.

Old 14th November 2017, 09:03 PM   #270
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

National wanted it because it helped to keep our "rockstar" GDP up, especially as the Christchurch rebuild starts to wind down, but the fact is that if we keep up that sort of immigration, the country is going to collapse on itself because we can't support that number of people arriving here every year, something had to give.
Utterly nailed.
Old 18th November 2017, 12:29 AM   #271
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Yes indeed.
John Key is a criminal currency front runner.
What he did for account personal is illegal but hard to prove to criminal standard. He has deliberately destroyed the aspirations of Auckland youth.
Why Sir John?

Last edited by Samson; 18th November 2017 at 12:36 AM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 07:15 PM   #272
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Why Sir John?
Mate, you don't really need to ask that, do you?

Auckland property prices up = more votes for Johnny.

Must be hellishly galling for National that they would have won in an absolute canter if he hadn't pulled the plug prematurely.
Old 19th November 2017, 02:43 AM   #273
cullennz
Banned

Lol

So much hate for someone so no longer there

Old 19th November 2017, 10:13 AM   #274
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Lol

So much hate for someone so no longer there
So much nonsense typed by someone without a clue.
Old 19th November 2017, 11:52 AM   #275
cullennz
Banned

So much nonsense typed by someone without a clue.
You're right about one thing.

Key probably would have won it for them.

But then Clark probably would have won in Arderns position without the need for Winston with English given she was getting 16% more votes than Ardern

But then it is all coulda shoulda woulda, and an utterly pointless argument.

Old 12th February 2018, 07:13 PM   #276
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Bill English resigns - who will take his place?

National's choices seem to be:

Admit to being Republican-lite and pick Crusher Collins. (Jaysus, Samson will be gutted if that happens!)

Admit to being clueless and pick Simon Bridges - yet another Young Turk.

Admit Labour is right in having a young female leader and pick Nikki Kaye.

Admit the dildo was hilarious and pick Steven Joyce.

Something else?

I think it's Crusher, simply on the basis she's the toughest person there.
Old 12th February 2018, 07:39 PM   #277
cullennz
Banned

Bill English resigns - who will take his place?

National's choices seem to be:

Admit to being Republican-lite and pick Crusher Collins. (Jaysus, Samson will be gutted if that happens!)

Admit to being clueless and pick Simon Bridges - yet another Young Turk.

Admit Labour is right in having a young female leader and pick Nikki Kaye.

Admit the dildo was hilarious and pick Steven Joyce.

Something else?

I think it's Crusher, simply on the basis she's the toughest person there.
Has to be a woman taking on Ardern or they might as well give up.
Old 15th February 2018, 01:44 AM   #278
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Looks like Bridges is favourite.

Swapping Billy for a younger version won't cut it.

Crusher will wait...

(I have to admire her political skills, much as I find her 100% detestable as a human being)
Old 15th February 2018, 02:56 AM   #279
cullennz
Banned

Looks like Bridges is favourite.

Swapping Billy for a younger version won't cut it.

Crusher will wait...

(I have to admire her political skills, much as I find her 100% detestable as a human being)
In the mean time there is quite a lot of rumours and murmerings happening about the other happy campers.

Well closely related to one

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics