IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st October 2017, 01:03 PM   #161
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

They did not go to Maui because the island did not have harbors deep enough? Have they ever been to Hawaii?

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 05:18 PM   #162
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Some states do charge and I have friends who have been charged. I wasn't aware that Coast Guard does not charge, so thank you for correcting my bad assumptions. That is pretty cool.
Yes, the HowStuffWorks link mentioned that some states and local authorities had started to charge for search-and-rescue. And I can see the logic in it, what with austerity (which hits even harder on local authorities than on national) and with ever more totally inexperienced people going on some sort of adventure. But the open sea is a harsh mistress, and inexperienced sailors there are few and far between, so I'm glad to see the Coast Guard doesn't charge people.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 05:25 PM   #163
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

She says they want to do the trip again next May. If they can't get her old boat back then they will build another "unsinkable and unbreakable boat."
Old 31st October 2017, 05:47 PM   #164
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Experts Question Story of Women Lost At Sea

https://www.yahoo.com/news/experts-s...182223699.html
Old 31st October 2017, 06:15 PM   #165
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Slightly off-topic, but not all that much.
When I'm King of the World (KotW) (TM) (c) (not really), people engaging in risky behavior will be required to purchase Risky Behavior Insurance. Wanna get rescued, have the paramedics come, get treated at the ER after something goes wrong? Insurance covers it. Otherwise you either stay there and die or pay the bill.

Pumpkin Hurling Insurance? Perhaps not too expensive.
Skydiving Insurance? Maybe a bit more.
Sailing across the ocean when you don't know what you're doing? Pricey!
Old 31st October 2017, 08:08 PM   #166
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Skydiving operations already are required to carry insurance, I believe.
Old 31st October 2017, 10:00 PM   #167
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet. Experts Question Story of Women Lost At Sea

https://www.yahoo.com/news/experts-s...182223699.html
I thought it sounded suspicious right from the off.

"Joe's" comment in the comments section sums it up for me...

"The only thing missing from their story is Gilligan."

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 03:26 AM   #168
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Slightly off-topic, but not all that much.
When I'm King of the World (KotW) (TM) (c) (not really), people engaging in risky behavior will be required to purchase Risky Behavior Insurance. Wanna get rescued, have the paramedics come, get treated at the ER after something goes wrong? Insurance covers it. Otherwise you either stay there and die or pay the bill.

Pumpkin Hurling Insurance? Perhaps not too expensive.
Skydiving Insurance? Maybe a bit more.
Sailing across the ocean when you don't know what you're doing? Pricey!
I've always had to pay to have my broken body dragged off an Alp - and fortunately have had the requisite insurance.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 08:14 AM   #169
TellyKNeasuss
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Yes, the HowStuffWorks link mentioned that some states and local authorities had started to charge for search-and-rescue. And I can see the logic in it, what with austerity (which hits even harder on local authorities than on national) and with ever more totally inexperienced people going on some sort of adventure. But the open sea is a harsh mistress, and inexperienced sailors there are few and far between, so I'm glad to see the Coast Guard doesn't charge people.
The responsible agency (the US Coast Guard for EPIRBs registered in the US) normally broadcasts a message for any boat/ship in the vicinity to render assistance. Not all rescues are accomplished by govt. agencies.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 08:25 AM   #170
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Telegraph
The Coast Guard made radio contact with a vessel that identified itself as the Sea Nymph in June near Tahiti, and the captain said they were not in distress and expected to make land the next morning.
So they are near Tahiti and in radio contact with the Coast Guard. They are not in distress and don't indicate sail or rigging damage, or lack of fuel or concern about wrecking the ship in an attempt to make land the next morning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...vate-emergency
Old 1st November 2017, 08:25 AM   #171
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Skydiving operations already are required to carry insurance, I believe.
And I don't think the SAR operations for skydiving accidents are very expensive.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 09:03 AM   #172
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
And I don't think the SAR operations for skydiving accidents are very expensive.
But non-fatal injuries are likely to be.
Old 1st November 2017, 09:16 AM   #173
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
She says they want to do the trip again next May. If they can't get her old boat back then they will build another "unsinkable and unbreakable boat."
That always ends well.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 09:40 AM   #174
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Their original plan was to go to Tahiti and then through the South Pacific and returning to Hawaii in October. They may have told all sorts of people about their plans but said that they will see and talk to them when they return in October. Hence nobody thinks they are in any trouble or out-of-communication because of trouble. Maybe.

I haven't seen anything in the press about their personal or occupational background. Whatever happens to be their "job situation", it is one that allows them to go away for 5 months. It would also mean being away from your home and any other obligations for that period.
Old 1st November 2017, 10:26 AM   #175
Mark F
Graduate Poster

More doubts about the story;

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/11...laims.amp.html
Old 1st November 2017, 10:30 AM   #176
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I had missed this part about the sharks...

Originally Posted by ABC News
In addition to enduring two more storms, "we had survived two different shark attacks and with both of them we thought it was lights out, and they were horrific,” said Appel.

One night, a group of seven sharks, including five adults measuring 20 to 30 feet in length along with two young sharks, slapped their tails on the hull repeatedly, they said.

Appel speculated that the adult sharks were teaching the young sharks how to attack.

The next morning, five dolphins appeared alongside the ship "to say hello" and to determine, they believe, to see if they were alive. The dolphins soon swam away 200 yards from the boat where they were joined by 60 to 70 dolphins that appeared to "party by the boat."

The next night one "sore loser" tiger shark came back and slapped the boat again. Fuiava likened it to experiencing an earthquake in the middle of nowhere unable to get help "and you're shark bait." ...
That's just more crap. Tiger sharks don't get that size, nor do they behave like that. A 30-footer is more than half the length of the boat.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shark-attac...ry?id=50752640
Old 1st November 2017, 11:24 AM   #177
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

That's just more crap. Tiger sharks don't get that size, nor do they behave like that. A 30-footer is more than half the length of the boat.

Five sharks between 20 and 30 feet long? Probably juvenile Megalodon...

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 11:33 AM   #178
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Tigers Sharks grow to about 17 feet max, do not attack boats and do not make coordinated attacks. Add to the long list of BS - although my favorite is still their claim that they thought they were within a day of death yet never turned on their rescue beacon because they were in no danger.
Old 1st November 2017, 11:43 AM   #179
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Within a day of death with lots of food and water and in perfect health.
Old 1st November 2017, 12:01 PM   #180
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My favorite is the epic storm that's flatly contradicted by satellite imagery.
Old 1st November 2017, 12:19 PM   #181
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post
Five sharks between 20 and 30 feet long? Probably juvenile Megalodon...

That explains why they were so playful.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 12:31 PM   #182
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Seriously did they spend two weeks out to sea and then 4 and a half months watching Jaws and the Perfect Storm on loop while smoking weed?
Old 1st November 2017, 12:56 PM   #183
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Within a day of death with lots of food and water and in perfect health.
Even the dogs looked well fed.
Old 1st November 2017, 01:15 PM   #184
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Seriously did they spend two weeks out to sea and then 4 and a half months watching Jaws and the Perfect Storm on loop while smoking weed?
I've changed my mind about this whole thing. I don't think that their boat was storm-damaged and could not be navigated. I think that Jennifer Appel planned a stranding situation of her own doing (a sabotage of sorts) and didn't tell her partner Tasha Fuiaba that she was doing it. It was Fuiaba's very first time on a sailboat so she knows nothing about anything including riggings, sails, motors, communication devices, how to sail, etc.

I think Appel really wanted to be out there drifting for even longer. She would watch the food and water supply and enact the beacon with a few days supply left. For the entire trip she would be telling lies and giving misdirection to Fuiaba.
Old 1st November 2017, 01:38 PM   #185
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I've changed my mind about this whole thing. I don't think that their boat was storm-damaged and could not be navigated. I think that Jennifer Appel planned a stranding situation of her own doing (a sabotage of sorts) and didn't tell her partner Tasha Fuiaba that she was doing it. It was Fuiaba's very first time on a sailboat so she knows nothing about anything including riggings, sails, motors, communication devices, how to sail, etc.

I think Appel really wanted to be out there drifting for even longer. She would watch the food and water supply and enact the beacon with a few days supply left. For the entire trip she would be telling lies and giving misdirection to Fuiaba.
Motive?

How does this explain them BOTH telling the shark tale, and the storm nonsense?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 01:47 PM   #186
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Motive?
Crazy love. Two people with messed up minds are in love. One is the leader and dominant - the other is submissive and follows. The event will be huge and bond them together forever. The submissive one doesn't really know what's happening but the dominant has is all planned out.

Quote:
How does this explain them BOTH telling the shark tale, and the storm nonsense?
Fuiaba follows the lead of Appel and will repeat and support her lies. She doesn't want to risk losing the relationship by contradicting or correcting.
Old 1st November 2017, 01:49 PM   #187
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Women rescued by Navy defend their account of ordeal at sea

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tasha-f...ry-ordeal-sea/

Of note:

Quote:
At some point, Appel joined the Hawai'i Actors Network, noting on the group's website that she has "been known to do almost any skydiving or motorcycle stunt - camera optional." Through the group, she found work as an extra in the former TV series "Off the Map" and the former sitcom "Cougar Town," appearing in that show in a pink bikini in the background of a season finale.
Old 1st November 2017, 01:57 PM   #188
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.... Two people with messed up minds are in love.......
We've established this, have we?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 02:01 PM   #189
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Appel needed to avoid all the ports even though she was near them and could go in or radio to have rescuers come to them. She did that because Fuiaba would not understand why they would land and not get help with the broken boat or not communicate with folks back home saying they broke down but are okay. Appel wouldn't be able to explain that to her. So instead she just told lies to her all along the way and stayed away from ports and help.
Old 1st November 2017, 02:07 PM   #190
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
We've established this, have we?
It seems pretty clear to me. I don't mind if you disagree or whatever.

I'm about 98% sure that they are lovers and there is major lying going on and lots of it. So it's a relationship and compulsive lying. Lovers with messed up minds.
Old 1st November 2017, 02:10 PM   #191
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I'm about 98% sure that they are lovers and there is major lying going on and lots of it. So it's a relationship and compulsive lying. Lovers with messed up minds.
No, no, you misunderstand. I was simply asking if we knew this. I wasn't suggesting you were wrong about it, as I have seen nothing on the matter.
Old 1st November 2017, 02:10 PM   #192
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Not exactly a paradigmatic example of skepticism. Maybe they are a couple, maybe not. Maybe it was a hoax, maybe not. It will all come out in the end,I reckon.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 02:13 PM   #193
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Platonic co-dependency is also a possibility. I've seen friendships follow the same downward trajectory without having a sexual component.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 02:14 PM   #194
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Appel needed to avoid all the ports even though she was near them and could go in or radio to have rescuers come to them. She did that because Fuiaba would not understand why they would land and not get help with the broken boat or not communicate with folks back home saying they broke down but are okay. Appel wouldn't be able to explain that to her. So instead she just told lies to her all along the way and stayed away from ports and help.

I have to say. I really hate how much sense this makes.

Blowing off one possible port I could see getting 'splained away, but it happened more than once.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 02:41 PM   #195
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Not exactly a paradigmatic example of skepticism.
I don't know if I know the rules of skepticism. Not sure if I'd care either.

Quote:
Maybe they are a couple, maybe not.
I would bet money that they are. The press had been using "her partner" in various ways. Now that can be a term unrelated to a romantic relationship, but it's also commonly used to describe gay or lesbian lovers.

Quote:
It will all come out in the end,I reckon.
Not necessarily. This is not a trial and there is no apparent crime. There are no subpoenas, search warrants, oaths to tell the truth, cross examinations, perjury or contempt of court charges, etc.

We may not ever be told the real truths because nobody is being forced or compelled to tell them.
Old 1st November 2017, 03:05 PM   #196
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

And that talk about using the radio hundreds and hundreds of times and getting no response... that could be Appel lying to Fuiaba on board. She can pretend to use the radio and not really transmit or do something to prevent it from working. Reports quote her saying that 6 different communication devices failed. I'm having trouble believing anything that comes out of her mouth.
Old 1st November 2017, 03:12 PM   #197
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know if I know the rules of skepticism. Not sure if I'd care either.

I would bet money that they are. The press had been using "her partner" in various ways. Now that can be a term unrelated to a romantic relationship, but it's also commonly used to describe gay or lesbian lovers.

Not necessarily. This is not a trial and there is no apparent crime. There are no subpoenas, search warrants, oaths to tell the truth, cross examinations, perjury or contempt of court charges, etc.

We may not ever be told the real truths because nobody is being forced or compelled to tell them.
Perhaps, but the fact that something is unknowable but trivial (from our perspectives) doesn't warrant wild ass guesses.

You don't know these two. You don't know whay Pacific cruising is like. You don't need an opinion.

In such situations, skepticism suggests caution in drawing conclusions. We can rely on expert testimony that something is fishy, but to declare they are lovers really goes beyond the evidence and the need for an opinion.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 03:26 PM   #198
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Even the dogs looked well fed.

I wondered about that myself. What did those dogs eat all that time?
Old 1st November 2017, 03:31 PM   #199
TellyKNeasuss
Illuminator

Does anyone buy their reasoning for not using their EPIRB? If your motor is dead and your mast is broken, you don't have much control over the vessel, so how can you be sure that you aren't in any danger? If you have no control, couldn't you be swamped by a storm (as that unfortunate freighter was a year or 2 ago)? And if all of your other communication devices are dead, you won't get any weather forecasts.

OK, I'll get back to trying to envision how much space a year's supply of food for 2 people would take compared to the size of the cabin on their boat.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 03:31 PM   #200
Varanid
Master Poster

I didn't understand the skepticism about their initial claims, but this is just nonsense.

As you said, tiger sharks don't reach 30 feet (few great whites even reach that length), and they don't go around slapping boats with their tails.

Utter rubbish. Send them a bill for the rescue.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events