ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th November 2017, 05:48 PM   #41
JM85
Critical Thinker

okay, this was more the kind of response that i was looking for. i guess that i was a bit naive when watching some of these videos, and didn't take into account the chromosome count difference.

(also i've said this before, but hostility isn't the best response to somebody who genuinely doesn't know something, and is looking for answers. but i guess this place wouldn't be the same without those sorts of comments.)
JM85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 12:46 AM   #42
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by JM85 View Post
......No, my intention wasn't to troll, or to bait anyone into an argument. I legit don't know if it's impossible to fertilize a chicken egg in a lab with human DNA, and create some sort of hybrid. I find the subject interesting, and heard they did something similar to a pig. I can't say it's impossible without an explanation as to why it isn't.
I simply don't believe you.

If you really are claiming to be this ignorant then I suggest you return to school.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 02:07 AM   #43
TheGoldcountry
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I simply don't believe you.

If you really are claiming to be this ignorant then I suggest you return to school.
I am close to this.

If the OP really is that interested, there are lots of resources to answer these questions far superior to YouTube or an internet forum.
Old 7th November 2017, 02:11 AM   #44
TheGoldcountry
Illuminator

okay, this was more the kind of response that i was looking for. i guess that i was a bit naive when watching some of these videos, and didn't take into account the chromosome count difference.

(also i've said this before, but hostility isn't the best response to somebody who genuinely doesn't know something, and is looking for answers. but i guess this place wouldn't be the same without those sorts of comments.)
Hostility or impatience? I wouldn't go to a forum about working on my car, if I didn't even know how to open the hood.

A basic knowledge of a subject is usually expected when entering a discussion.
Old 7th November 2017, 03:28 AM   #45
Tolls
Illuminator

Essentially the two key bits of this that are nonsense are, inseminating a chicken with human sperm would not work due to the chromosome issues mentioned above. And, you cannot inseminate an egg as it has, by that point, is well past where that could happen, even with chicken sperm.

Yes, you can do DNA manipulation, but that's a completely different thing, and not what these You Tubers are saying.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 05:09 AM   #46
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post

In contrast
A horse has 64 Chromosomes
A donkey has 64 Chromosomes
The hybrid offspring, a mule has 63 Chromosomes and is missing one chromosome and is sterile.
Another typo in that post: The donkey has 62 chromosomes, but you knew that, otherwise the part about the mule doesn't make sense. And very rarely a mule is not sterile.

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
We split with from apes roughly 7 million years ago. Apes have an extra pair of chromosomes. You can directly calculate which two ape chromosomes joined permanently at their ends, to make one human chromosome, to allow humans to diverge.
Yep, the human chromosome 2 still has vestigial telomeres and an extra centromere which shows it's the merger of two chromosomes. And the mule case makes you wonder if a human/chimp hybrid would nevertheless be possible (but sterile), but of course, no ethics board would approve such an experiment.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 06:59 AM   #47
Donn
Philosopher

A pity about the facts. A homuncluckulus would be a beast!
Donn is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 08:13 AM   #48
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Some of the problem is that we who have a reasonable bit of the knowledge assume some basic understanding if a person comes in asking questions - for example questions about breeding between completely unrelated species. Also, remember that several genetic conditions that two people may have partially in their DNA can result in death or a very unfortunate life in offspring. And that is
not that infrequent.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 04:57 AM   #49
crhkrebs
Muse

"homuncluckulus"

crhkrebs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 07:40 PM   #50
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Another typo in that post: The donkey has 62 chromosomes, but you knew that, otherwise the part about the mule doesn't make sense. And very rarely a mule is not sterile.
Thank you. I did indeed make a typo. A donkey has 62 chromosomes.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 08:10 PM   #51
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Hello. I don't post here very often, but have come across several youtube videos of people injecting human sperm into eggs. The result is usually a "creature" that seems to be alive. There was another video of somebody doing this, and the result was an actual chicken hatching out of one of the eggs. This video seemed more legitimate and he actually had an egg incubator, but it was probably also a hoax. I just can't find many people debunking these videos, or the experiments being replicated with no results. I could not find anything here on the forum either about this subject.

It is impossible for human sperm to fertilize a chicken egg. First, chicken eggs cannot be fertilized after they're laid. Second, chickens and humans have different numbers of chromosomes. The genetic material from a human cannot be matched 1-to-1 with a chicken. No match equals no fertilization. Where it does happen, the species are exceedingly close genetically (lions and tigers). That is ... not the case with humans and chickens.

The ability to be fertilized only by one's species is an important evolutionary adaptation. One can hardly insure the success of one's offspring if cross-species fertilization were possible.

L. Leader

Last edited by Loss Leader; 8th November 2017 at 08:17 PM.
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 08:52 PM   #52
Pterodactyl
Muse

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
As though in the thousands of years of human breeding of animals, no one tried this. I find that hard to believe.
Maybe they were to afraid to try. Maybe they were... chicken.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal