ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Priti Patel , Theresa May , Tories , uk politics

Old 9th November 2017, 03:24 PM   #41
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
It used to be aëroplane.

I'm fond of the dieresis personally, but the ah-eh or even ay-eh combination is a bit much; thankfully it's now just a diphthong.
Diaeresis, preferably with an ae ligature.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 03:39 PM   #42
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
And, please, don't claim simplification when you lot insist on calling an "anaesthetist" an "anesthesiologist," nor indeed eschewing "obliged" for "obligated."

Aluminium. That's my entire argument. You people say "aluminium."

One last story and then I'll leave you lime suckers alone:

I was writing ad copy for TCM (Turner Classic Movies) and, for reasons that I've forgotten, I included a reference to the Encyclopæedia Britannica. They edited it and the proof comes back as "Encyclopedia Britannica." I called up my contact person and told her they spelled it incorrectly. She said that they had looked up the spelling of "encyclopedia" and they were right. I told her, "You can spell it however you want but you're going to look like idiots because I'm pretty sure the Encyclopæedia Britannica people know how they like to spell their own name."

But, seriously, aluminium.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 04:52 PM   #43
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

"Encyclopaedia". With or without the ligature. You have an extra e in there.
Old 9th November 2017, 04:59 PM   #44
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hubert Cumberdale View Post
I actually have a pet CT that Patel was put up to doing this as a way to circumvent Johnson.

Lets face it, the last thing you need is that incompetent nincompoop putting his massive foot in the powder keg of the middle east.

Unfrotunately, Patel got found out and the whole thing became unmanageble. After a quick clear of May's cache and a hard re-boot, Patel was eventually recalled. She'll be back though.
She looked suspiciously pleased with herself for someone who had just been sacked had her resignation accepted. Johnson seems to be going out of his way to get sacked, although it's hard to distinguish from the fustercluck of his normal performance. I suspect that the plan of the Tory leadership in waiting is to get fired so they can disassociate themselves with the current administration and spin their sackings as evidence of how they were never really on board with whatever disasters happen between now and when they make their move. With the public's seemingly growing insensitivity to political scandal they'll probably get away with it too.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 06:21 PM   #45
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post

You're right. I wrote "ae" and then figured out how to make the "æ" but forgot to delete the e. I'm frankly lucky it didn't turn out "Encyclopaæedia."

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 12:09 AM   #46
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Encyclopaedia BritannicaWP
was first published between 1768 and 1771 in the Scottish capital of Edinburgh, as three volumes. The encyclopaedia grew in size: the second edition was 10 volumes, and by its fourth edition (1801–1810) it had expanded to 20 volumes. Its rising stature as a scholarly work helped recruit eminent contributors, and the 9th (1875–1889) and 11th editions(1911) are landmark encyclopaedias for scholarship and literary style. Beginning with the 11th edition and following its acquisition by an American firm, the Britannica shortened and simplified articles to broaden its appeal to the North American market ...
But there are limits to the "dumbing down" it is willing to tolerate however necessary this may be for American readers.
Though published in the United States since 1901, the Britannica has for the most part maintained British English spelling.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 03:45 AM   #47
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I miss the Thorn. Or. should I type

I miss þe þorn.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 10th November 2017 at 03:48 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 03:49 AM   #48
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Webster was long dead before the first aeroplane flew, so dumbing the word down to "airplane" obviously wasn't on his watch.

And, please, don't claim simplification when you lot insist on calling an "anaesthetist" an "anesthesiologist," nor indeed eschewing "obliged" for "obligated."
Or the worse one of them all: burglarized - no you've been burgled!

Last edited by Darat; 10th November 2017 at 03:50 AM. Reason: apparently it should be a z not an s - don't get me started on that!
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 04:27 AM   #49
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
In re your edit note: of course it should be a Z. We've had -ize endings to words in English for as long as there has been an English language. Just because some prissy types decided relatively recently that we should imitate the French and change it to an S is no reason for us to follow them.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 06:40 AM   #50
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I will be sure to stop by Grove Street Cemetery in New Haven to report to Noah Webster that you called him dumb.

The simplification and standardization of english spelling was the greatest gift America had given the world until Sarah Michelle Gellar.

It went: representative democracy, Webster's dictionary, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Forged In Fire.
...And as epitomised in the tweets of POTUS Donald J Trump in 140 characters. SAD!

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 09:08 AM   #51
Rolfe

I think I gazumplerized you in that one.

Burglarized. (Burgled.) Donator. (Donor.) I even saw "euthanization" the other day.

Glass houses and all that.
Old 10th November 2017, 09:12 AM   #52
Rolfe

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I miss the Thorn. Or. should I type

I miss þe þorn.

Jeez, when I was in Iceland they were all over the place.

Also, when I was being told the name of the horse I was about to ride I didn't recognise the word. It was Oðin.

(I've now found out for sure what an ash and an eth are, so the day is not entirely wasted.)

Last edited by Rolfe; 10th November 2017 at 09:13 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 09:21 AM   #53
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If I was being 8th c I should have written

I miss ðe þorn
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 09:12 PM   #54
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
But we'll give you Sarah Michelle Gellar.
Meh.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 09:16 PM   #55
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
She looked suspiciously pleased with herself for someone who had just been sacked had her resignation accepted.
She's always got that forced grin on her face. It's one of her annoyingisms, like carefully enunciating dropped g's Eliza Doolittle style.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 07:49 AM   #56
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

If I was being 8th c I should have written

I miss ðe þorn
I sort of assumed the C8th was about 400 years too late for you - or was I mistaken about Roman Britain being your main interest?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 02:03 PM   #57
imodium
Thinker

whenever these types get caught they should get removed from their seat, a by election now would be interesting.
boris would be gone too so murdoch and dacre would be sad, double win!
imodium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:22 PM   #58
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I sort of assumed the C8th was about 400 years too late for you - or was I mistaken about Roman Britain being your main interest?
Weeelllllll.
As it happens I have been thinking about adding an 8th or 9th century impression to my Roman re-enacting.

I got the chance of a repro viking sword at a very good price then I bought a lovely mail coat at an event in the summer you know how it is.

After that the rest of the clothes and equipment are relatively inexpensive.
Old 12th November 2017, 03:15 AM   #59
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Weeelllllll.
As it happens I have been thinking about adding an 8th or 9th century impression to my Roman re-enacting.

I got the chance of a repro viking sword at a very good price then I bought a lovely mail coat at an event in the summer you know how it is.

After that the rest of the clothes and equipment are relatively inexpensive.
I've probably attended the odd multi-period event at the same time as you as a member of the ACWS. If there is next time I may say hello.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 03:32 AM   #60
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I've probably attended the odd multi-period event at the same time as you as a member of the ACWS. If there is next time I may say hello.
Getting too old to be a Legionary, time to become a Jarl.
Old 12th November 2017, 03:58 AM   #61
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

This article offers a pro-Palestinian view of the Patel imbroglio.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 07:11 AM   #62
Garrison
Illuminator

On the 'should they be sacked front' Johnson and Gove should probably be next in line given the way they've blundered about in the Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe case. Poor woman seems to have fallen foul of internal Iranian power struggles and Johnson has naturally done everything he can to make the situation worse:

Family concern for Iran prisoner Nazanin case after Boris Johnson remark

Quote:
The family of a British-Iranian mother held in Iran fear her prison sentence could be increased after "off the cuff" remarks made by the foreign secretary.
Boris Johnson told a Commons committee that Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who was arrested at Tehran Airport in 2016, was "teaching people journalism".
And then today while trying to defend Johnson, who did apologize for his latest gaffe, Gove said:

Quote:
Michael Gove has come under fire for saying he didn't know what Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was doing in Iran when she was arrested in 2016.
Mr Gove told Andrew Marr he would "take her husband's assurance" that the British-Iranian citizen was on holiday.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41960006

With friends like these...
Old 12th November 2017, 07:16 AM   #63
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Gove says we shouldn't be looking at Boris or condemning them, we should be looking at the Iranian Regime and condemning them instead.

This isn't an 'A' or 'B' situation, there's plenty to go round.
Old 12th November 2017, 10:41 AM   #64
Garrison
Illuminator

Gove says we shouldn't be looking at Boris or condemning them, we should be looking at the Iranian Regime and condemning them instead.

Exactly, iran lit this fire, doesn't let Gove or Johnson off the hook for pouring petrol on it.
Old 12th November 2017, 11:29 AM   #65
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
This article offers a pro-Palestinian view of the Patel imbroglio.
Which, at it's essense, is an article written by an anti-Israel activist who believes the real scandal is the existence of pro-Israel people in government.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 11:33 AM   #66
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Yep.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 12:06 PM   #67
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Yep.
Indeed, Garrison put it best.

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Exactly, iran lit this fire, doesn't let Gove or Johnson off the hook for pouring petrol on it.
This is not a gaffe that can be laughed off.

Slight derail

I actually think that May could be in a perversely strong position in the party if she had the nerve.

At the moment the Tories seem to be paralysed with fear at the prospect of Corbyn being PM. May could sack those who are embarrassing her with the threat that if they do attack her, they'd let in Corbyn.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 12:27 PM   #68
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
And then today while trying to defend Johnson, who did apologize for his latest gaffe, Gove said:
In no way, shape or form did Johnson say anything that might be recognised as an actual apology.

The weasel words:

"I'm sorry if any words of mine have been taken out of context and misconstrued to cause anxiety to Nazanin's family"

Translation: "It's everyone else's fault"

Last edited by GlennB; 12th November 2017 at 12:39 PM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 12:31 PM   #69
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed, Garrison put it best.

This is not a gaffe that can be laughed off.

Slight derail

I actually think that May could be in a perversely strong position in the party if she had the nerve.

At the moment the Tories seem to be paralysed with fear at the prospect of Corbyn being PM. May could sack those who are embarrassing her with the threat that if they do attack her, they'd let in Corbyn.
Remember the dear dead days when Corbyn was supposed to be a joke who could never conceivably be PM. That was believed to put May in a strong position too, but when she tried to exploit that strength in the "snap election" she blew herself up. No wonder the Tories are paralysed with fear. Now Corbyn is the all-powerful terrifying bogey, May is a wreck, and the joke figures appear to be on the Right: BoJo, Patel, Davis, Gove and the DUP.

It's not prima facie obvious that any of these developments endows May with strength, even perverse strength.

Last edited by Craig B; 12th November 2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12th November 2017, 12:59 PM   #70
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris is safe for the moment. May has to keep the pro and anti Brexiteers balanced. she can't get rid of him.
Old 12th November 2017, 01:13 PM   #71
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Boris is safe for the moment. May has to keep the pro and anti Brexiteers balanced. she can't get rid of him.
I know that is the received wisdom, but what would happen if she broke the balance?

Her position would become precarious? Can it become more precarious?

Would the weakened Tory side really want to rock the boat when they probably all agree that Corbyn would be worse?
Old 12th November 2017, 02:30 PM   #72
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
In no way, shape or form did Johnson say anything that might be recognised as an actual apology.

The weasel words:

"I'm sorry if any words of mine have been taken out of context and misconstrued to cause anxiety to Nazanin's family"

Translation: "It's everyone else's fault"
I should have known better, the classic non-apology apology.

Would the weakened Tory side really want to rock the boat when they probably all agree that Corbyn would be worse?
Only if they think getting rid of may is the only chance to save their seats. Frankly I think May is too afraid of Johnson and Gove loose on the back benches to sack them.

Last edited by Garrison; 12th November 2017 at 02:32 PM.
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 05:24 PM   #73
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Only if they think getting rid of may is the only chance to save their seats. Frankly I think May is too afraid of Johnson and Gove loose on the back benches to sack them.
You mean the old 'in the tent pissing out' scenario?
Old 12th November 2017, 05:40 PM   #74
Garrison
Illuminator

You mean the old 'in the tent pissing out' scenario?
Exactly that, not to mention that if she replaced either of them with someone who actually came across as competent then May's position really would be in jeopardy.
Old 13th November 2017, 03:48 AM   #75
Tolls
Illuminator

And remember that it really (really) looks like Boris wants to be sacked.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 04:03 AM   #76
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
And remember that it really (really) looks like Boris wants to be sacked.
Everyone seems to think that Johnson he's some incredibly sharp, intelligent politician but he hides this behind a clownish act. He isn't - he is incompetent. What he isn't is the "good-natured buffoon" he tries to portray himself as. He is a selfish, self absorbed git who believes he is entitled to everything who has had a good education so can quote from some of "the classics".
Old 13th November 2017, 06:00 AM   #77
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Everyone seems to think that Johnson he's some incredibly sharp, intelligent politician but he hides this behind a clownish act. He isn't - he is incompetent. What he isn't is the "good-natured buffoon" he tries to portray himself as. He is a selfish, self absorbed git who believes he is entitled to everything who has had a good education so can quote from some of "the classics".
cf. The Road to Mandalay....
Old 13th November 2017, 06:19 AM   #78
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

That's the guy who won't comb his hair even though he's completely grown up, right?
Old 13th November 2017, 07:27 AM   #79
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
That's the guy who won't comb his hair even though he's completely grown up, right?
Indeed, he will actually muss it up just before going on camera, to get just the right "eccentric" look.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 07:33 AM   #80
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Yeah, because this will totally send the right signals to the Iranian regime....

BBC News: Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe case - Diplomatic protection 'one option'

We probably need a separate thread for this issue.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics