ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags firefox , permissions , youtube

Old 8th November 2017, 09:46 PM   #1
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
YouTube not functioning

I am having problems watching YouTube videos, both the ones linked here and those I find elsewhere, including directly on YouTube. I see the title, the comments, the up- and down-vote icons, etc. ... and no box in which the video would be displayed.

This behavior is fairly recent, but I don't recall whether something changed or I changed anything pertinent in the past six weeks.

Windows 7 Home,
Avast Online Security,
Firefox latest version,
AdBlockPlus (YT not blocked),
NoScript (YT enabled). NoScript is marked as "legacy."

Does anyone have any suggestions about cause or remedy?

Thanks.

EDIT - I just started FF in safe mode, reloaded a YT link I tried to watch several days ago. The sound is present, but not the video.

Last edited by xterra; 8th November 2017 at 09:51 PM.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 11:08 PM   #2
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It is working for me, so the problem is at your end.
Windows 10
Chrome.

Suggest you try another browser. If it works, blame the browser.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 07:00 AM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
It is working for me, so the problem is at your end.
Windows 10
Chrome.
Of course it's at his end. Don't you think that if YouTube stopped working for the people that it would be international headline news?

Quote:
Suggest you try another browser. If it works, blame the browser.
Blame the browser? Don't you think it would be international headline news if Firefox happened to be a browser that won't show YouTube? Isn't it really more likely to be some setting in Firefox or the script blocking or the ad blocking?
Old 9th November 2017, 07:06 AM   #4
Worm
Graduate Poster

Probably not, but worth asking just in case - do you use bluetooth headphones?

I have some Skullcandy headphones that for some reason seem to interfere with YT on a regular basis.

Very annoying, as they are otherwise great cans.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 11:31 AM   #5
smartcooky
Philosopher

@WIlliam Parcher
Trying a different browser is a legitimate step in diagnosing problems with getting websites to function... you can eliminate a whole raft of potential causes if a website functions correctly in one browser and not in another.

@xterra
How up to date is your Adobe Flash?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 11:48 AM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
@WIlliam Parcher
Trying a different browser is a legitimate step in diagnosing problems with getting websites to function... you can eliminate a whole raft of potential causes if a website functions correctly in one browser and not in another.
But it's obviously more complicated than that because a simple elimination test shouldn't have you arriving at "Firefox is a browser that won't play YouTube videos."
Old 9th November 2017, 12:42 PM   #7
Castro
Muse

As smartcooky said, you might check your Flash plugin.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...shoot-problems
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 03:04 PM   #8
xterra
So far, so good...

Problem solved!

I usually do not maximize my browser window.

I tried doing that -- and now I have video as well as audio.

Aren't computers magic?
Old 10th November 2017, 01:01 AM   #9
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
I usually do not maximize my browser window.

I tried doing that -- and now I have video as well as audio.

Aren't computers magic?
Why would having your screen not maximised not show the video? Was the screen in the part of the page that was not visible?

I do not think it is necessary to comment further on William Parcher's posts.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 08:17 AM   #10
xterra
So far, so good...

@rjh01, I have no idea of the reason. The screen should* have been visible; the Firefox window was minimized only enough to let me see a small amount of the background wallpaper and the left edge of another window "behind" the FF one.

In fact, YouTube in Chrome functions correctly, whether the window is maximized or set at the same dimensions as the FF window. (But, Mommmy, I don't like Chrome.)

@SmartCooky, yes Flash was up to date.

*EDIT In case this isn't clear, "should" means that with the non-maximized window, the place where the screen would normally appear was well within the boundaries of the window, approximately where I see the beginning of your comment relative to your avatar.

As I said, magic!

Last edited by xterra; 10th November 2017 at 08:22 AM.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 11:31 AM   #11
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

It just dawned on me that this could be one of the rare and strange Firefox vs. a video driver problems that I've dealt with a few times over the years.

You can try disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox and see if that helps. http://techdows.com/2017/08/firefox-...eleration.html

If turning it off helps then you might want to see if there is an updated video driver available for your video system, install it then turn Firefox's acceleration back on.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 12:20 PM   #12
GodMark2
Graduate Poster

I had the same problem with many YT videos. The solution was to open YT in a "New Private Window".

It appears to be some interaction between YouTube's advertising engine, HTML5 video, AdblockPlus, and NoScript. I suspect the iframe with the HTML5 canvas for the video doesn't exist until after the ad finishes. The ad doesn't come from YouTube directly, so it's blocked by ABP or NS. The blocked ad doesn't finish (and create the canvas), but also doesn't pause the playback (so audio starts).

Using a private window changes how the iframes are created, which appears to fix the problem. Removing ABP or NS (depending on the specific video) also works.
Old 10th November 2017, 02:46 PM   #13
xterra
So far, so good...

@paulhutch, I have a laptop, so I don't think there is a graphics card with a video driver that can be updated, or if there is and it can, I have not a clue about how.

@GodMark2, tried that, got the same results as regular window. Minimize, no work; maximize, work.

... still magic, eh?
Old 10th November 2017, 04:52 PM   #14
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
It just dawned on me that this could be one of the rare and strange Firefox vs. a video driver problems that I've dealt with a few times over the years.

You can try disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox and see if that helps. http://techdows.com/2017/08/firefox-...eleration.html

If turning it off helps then you might want to see if there is an updated video driver available for your video system, install it then turn Firefox's acceleration back on.
Driver problems and incompatibilities with browsers can have weird side-effects.

Sometimes, I need to print a few pages of transactions from my online banking. I would define the date range for the transactions and then go to print them. The BNZ bank website uses a pdf for this task, and automatically loads the pdf viewer as a tab in Firefox. If the transaction list was one page, no problem, but if it was two pages, the first page would print OK, but on the second page, only the first line would print (the rest of the page is blank), and if there were more than two pages, the third and subsequent page would not print at all, they just didn't exist in the print queue.

All of the pages and lines were visible in the Firefox Tab.

If I downloaded the pdf and printed it with Adobe Reader, no problem.

Printing worked fine in Chrome and Opera.

Firefox was up to date. The next version of Firefox didn't fix it.

I rang the bank's technical support, They had seen this before and suggested updating the graphics card drivers. I did that, and it fixed the problem.

Go figure
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 08:07 PM   #15
xterra
So far, so good...

I am using a laptop, and a search of both the computer and the manufacturer's website shows me no drivers for the video. I suspect that everything is integrated on the motherboard.

I have a work-around, I don't look at many YouTube videos, so I'm just going to live with the situation and hope that my senility doesn't prevent my remembering to maximize the screen when necessary.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

Last edited by xterra; 10th November 2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11th November 2017, 09:39 AM   #16
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

@paulhutch, I have a laptop, so I don't think there is a graphics card with a video driver that can be updated, or if there is and it can, I have not a clue about how.
All computers with a display have a video card and update-able display drivers for the card. On a laptop and some desktops the card is integrated with the motherboard but it's there, without it or it's driver's there would be no display at all.

Given you did not know this fact I'm guessing you may still be running with the drivers that came with the laptop. Go in to Windows Update and look at Optional Updates there is a good probability that there is a Microsoft Quality Labs certified driver update available for your laptop especially if it's more than 6 months old. It may fix seemingly mysterious problems that nearly everyone would never think could be caused by video driver bugs.

Last edited by paulhutch; 11th November 2017 at 10:11 AM.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 11:21 AM   #17
xterra
So far, so good...

I just checked the update history and also the not-yet-installed updates. No video updates appear in either list.

This laptop is about 4 years old.
Old 11th November 2017, 06:35 PM   #18
deadrose
Master Poster

My sister was having similar issues with Youtube and Netflix. She tried using a different browser and it solved it all. Something in the most recent Firefox updates is badly broken.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 03:59 AM   #19
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I just checked the update history and also the not-yet-installed updates. No video updates appear in either list.

This laptop is about 4 years old.

It has a display adapter and drivers. Windows alone may not be enough to determine if you have the most recent drivers for that adapter.

It's been a while since I used Win 7, so I can't be sure of the exact sequence to determine the display adapter installed on your laptop, but it will be something very approximately like System>Display>Advanced Properties.

There are also a number of free system utilities which will tell you what you need to know. Piriform's Speccy is probably one of the simplest to use. This is probably less trouble than trying to use Windows to find it. Plus, it will give you direct access to a great deal of other info about your laptop.

After it is installed simply run it and select Graphics from the list on the left side of the screen. It will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about your display and graphics adapter, including who made the adapter and what the currently running device driver is.

Armed with that knowledge you can go to the graphics adapter manufacturer's website and see if you are running the most recent stuff. If not, you can then download and install any updates.
Old 15th November 2017, 04:10 AM   #20
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
My sister was having similar issues with Youtube and Netflix. She tried using a different browser and it solved it all. Something in the most recent Firefox updates is badly broken.

I've always been using Firefox ( very nearly since it first came out) and running the most recent version. (I'm actually about to start a new thread on that very topic. )

I haven't had any trouble running YouTube videos.

When something like that is "broken" in Firefox it is generally some combination of the add-ons and extensions which the user has chosen to use along with Firefox itself.

I've run into conflicts, some in very strange places, using different combinations of these which I have had to suss out either by searching the web or by process of elimination. It isn't always easy, but it is a trade-off for the extreme range of functionality which the practice of allowing these add-ons provides.

Firefox updates themselves can sometimes break some of these add-ons. When they do it is because the creator of the add-on has not bothered to update their software to remain compatible. Every Firefox update gets plenty of vetting and advance opportunities for add-on developers to maintain compliance.

It isn't quite right to describe that as Firefox being "badly broken". They can't be expected to stress test every and all possible combination of the thousands of add-ons and extensions people have written for it.

Last edited by quadraginta; 15th November 2017 at 04:14 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 07:21 AM   #21
xterra
So far, so good...

I found the answer in my case:

PEBCAK

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet