ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Reply
Old 10th November 2017, 03:52 PM   #1081
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,694
Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
So why do you respond on this Board? Why don't you just send your thoughts to the people who respond to this thread?

Norm
That's just what they'll be expecting.
__________________
"I have no clue" - King of the Americas
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:42 AM   #1082
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,098
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I have already modified my tests in the past to take member suggestions into account, but I generally found that these suggestions did not lead to an improvement. In particular, evaluating in a "fair" way credibilities of the answers (making a distinction between friendly answers of people who cooperate and less friendly ones) has turned out to be an essential tool.
This is a classic example of the bias that permeates every aspect of your thinking. Your definition of "improvement" in this context is "gives me a result more like the one I want to get." That's why you see it as an improvement that you've come up with an excuse to discard the answers you don't want.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 07:40 AM   #1083
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,553
Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
So why do you respond on this Board? Why don't you just send your thoughts to the people who respond to this thread?
There has been a test that has been suggested many times, which would conclusively prove Michel's telepathic abilities and would work to reassure him that the respondent(s) are being genuine: Don't post anything on this board, but instead write down his own telephone number (including international area code) and a nonsensical code phrase (such as "purple fish pyjamas happily bucket") and broadcast those.

Since Michel believes that he can broadcast his thoughts to everybody in the entire world, everybody should be able to discern his telephone number and the code phrase. Then anybody who is willing to confirm his abilities need only phone him up and repeat the code phrase. Michel is instantly in contact with one or more people who can not only hear his thoughts but who is willing to help him to prove that he has them. Then he can move on to those tests sceptic societies offer for cash and, in passing them with the help of his new friend or friends, will prove to the world that such phenomena are real.

If nobody phones then there are one of two conclusions - either nobody can actually hear his thoughts, or every single person in the world is conspiring against him. If it's the former, then he will have to face some difficult facts. If it's the latter, then there's no point putting tests like these on the internet. Since Michel believes that people in these threads are responding genuinely and can hear his thoughts, he shouldn't have any fear that the latter will occur, meaning that if someone does contact him he can prove his abilities are real and if nobody does then he can safely conclude that they are not.

Michel refuses to even acknowledge that this test has been suggested more than once by more than one person.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 11:30 AM   #1084
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
John said "I did not use telepathy." (he seemed to know it). If no telepathy is used, his number is of no interest for me in my telepathy test, and it is normal that I reject it as non-credible.
That is confirmation bias at work. You have no way to tell whether his claim not to have used telepathy is because 1) he is telepathic but unaware of it or 2) he is telepathic and knows about the sensation but did not use it on this occasion or 3) he is not telepathic or 4) telepathy doesn't exist.

You had no good reason to reject his answer, only a bad reason; it was not the answer you wanted.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 11:37 AM   #1085
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
There has been a test that has been suggested many times, which would conclusively prove Michel's telepathic abilities and would work to reassure him that the respondent(s) are being genuine: Don't post anything on this board, but instead write down his own telephone number (including international area code) and a nonsensical code phrase (such as "purple fish pyjamas happily bucket") and broadcast those.

Since Michel believes that he can broadcast his thoughts to everybody in the entire world, everybody should be able to discern his telephone number and the code phrase. Then anybody who is willing to confirm his abilities need only phone him up and repeat the code phrase. Michel is instantly in contact with one or more people who can not only hear his thoughts but who is willing to help him to prove that he has them. Then he can move on to those tests sceptic societies offer for cash and, in passing them with the help of his new friend or friends, will prove to the world that such phenomena are real.

If nobody phones then there are one of two conclusions - either nobody can actually hear his thoughts, or every single person in the world is conspiring against him. If it's the former, then he will have to face some difficult facts. If it's the latter, then there's no point putting tests like these on the internet. Since Michel believes that people in these threads are responding genuinely and can hear his thoughts, he shouldn't have any fear that the latter will occur, meaning that if someone does contact him he can prove his abilities are real and if nobody does then he can safely conclude that they are not.

Michel refuses to even acknowledge that this test has been suggested more than once by more than one person.
There was a story in the news last week about a man who's suing a movie star in (I think) Pakistan after his real phone number was mistakenly used as a pretend number in a film and he was bombarded by calls.

All Michel would have to do is think of his own number and he would be bombarded by calls from people begging him to stop projecting his thoughts at them as they're trying to get some sleep. But it doesn't happen because thought projection is just imaginary.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 12:04 PM   #1086
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
... You have no way to tell whether his claim not to have used telepathy is because ...
Your sentence doesn't make any sense (it would perhaps make (just a little) more sense had you written:"... You have no way to tell whether his claim not to have used telepathy is true because ...").

When somebody in an ESP test says he/she did not use telepathy with no other comment, I uniformly consider the answer as non-credible (to me, such an answer cannot be trusted or taken seriously in a telepathy test). It does not matter at all which answer was given. If you say otherwise without giving a single counter-example, the most likely explanation is that you are being grossly dishonest, because it is so obvious.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 12:11 PM   #1087
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite
 
calebprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,335
Actually the most likely answer is that we don't have that information at our fingertips. We remember the general case.

Is anyone generous enough or patient enough to go dig up the answer?

Maybe.

Not dishonesty.

This is where you get manipulative -- it really does seem that way to you, but the real reason you get that way is that most people will simply agree with you rather than risk unpleasantness.
__________________
Life sucks, and then you die

( Sung to the tune of the old Time jingle: "Time flies, and you are there!" )
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 12:32 PM   #1088
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 23,893
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Your sentence doesn't make any sense (it would perhaps make (just a little) more sense had you written:"... You have no way to tell whether his claim not to have used telepathy is true because ...").

This is once again very hostile. Telling someone his statement makes no sense is a hostile act, especially since his sentence is perfectly fine english. On the other hand, you contort yourself to allow the statement "I'm and not" even though this is improper english and makes sense only after you add words that the person did not write. You also imply that Jack by the hedge is being "grossly dishonest". This is very aggressive.

Your continuing hostility indicates, by your own rules, that you are not credible. Thus, you are lying when you say an answer was not credible. You believed it was credible. However, admitting such would be a significant step towards realizing that you are not special and that I am.

It is perfectly understandable that you would be so upset to be hearing my thoughts that you deny it. The real question in my mind is figuring out why you're lying about my telepathic powers and how to get you to accept the truth about my abilities.
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 01:15 PM   #1089
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,553
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Michel refuses to even acknowledge that this test has been suggested more than once by more than one person.
I just wanted to quote this to emphasise that Michel has posted in this thread since I made my post and he has yet again completely ignored the simplest test of his powers there could be, and one which would unequivocally settle the question of whether or not he has those powers.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 01:33 PM   #1090
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,081
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
You ran away from answering the question: if you can project your thoughts, why do you feel it necessary to post on a forum?
Michel H, I find it very hostile of you to not answer questions. I'm afraid nobody will be able to trust you to tell the truth about the telepathy you claim to have but refuse to prove. You have no credibility.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 02:58 PM   #1091
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
That is confirmation bias at work. You have no way to tell whether his claim not to have used telepathy is because 1) he is telepathic but unaware of it or 2) he is telepathic and knows about the sensation but did not use it on this occasion or 3) he is not telepathic or 4) telepathy doesn't exist.

You had no good reason to reject his answer, only a bad reason; it was not the answer you wanted.
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
... his sentence is perfectly fine english ...
I have read carefully again the highlighted (complicated) sentence above by Jack by the hedge, and I think I understand what he meant now.

Nevertheless, as a rule, when somebody says he/she did not use telepathy to obtain his/her answer, with no further statement, I consider it non-reliable or non-credible (this has nothing to do with the correctness or incorrectness of the answer).

I wonder what Loss Leader would say if a surgeon said "I am going to operate on you, but I won't use my surgical instruments".
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 03:05 PM   #1092
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
You ran away from answering the question: if you can project your thoughts, why do you feel it necessary to post on a forum?
I don't see how I could interact and discuss with other people, with a result that other people can read, using thought transference alone. Actually, I think that many people (and animals) know many of my thoughts, but not all my thoughts. In addition, usually, when I start writing a post, I have only a vague idea myself of what I am going to say. I know it only at the end, when the post is completed.

Last edited by Michel H; 11th November 2017 at 03:34 PM.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 03:17 PM   #1093
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
There has been a test that has been suggested many times, which would conclusively prove Michel's telepathic abilities and would work to reassure him that the respondent(s) are being genuine: Don't post anything on this board, but instead write down his own telephone number (including international area code) and a nonsensical code phrase (such as "purple fish pyjamas happily bucket") and broadcast those.

Since Michel believes that he can broadcast his thoughts to everybody in the entire world, everybody should be able to discern his telephone number and the code phrase. Then anybody who is willing to confirm his abilities need only phone him up and repeat the code phrase. Michel is instantly in contact with one or more people who can not only hear his thoughts but who is willing to help him to prove that he has them. Then he can move on to those tests sceptic societies offer for cash and, in passing them with the help of his new friend or friends, will prove to the world that such phenomena are real.

If nobody phones then there are one of two conclusions - either nobody can actually hear his thoughts, or every single person in the world is conspiring against him. If it's the former, then he will have to face some difficult facts. If it's the latter, then there's no point putting tests like these on the internet. Since Michel believes that people in these threads are responding genuinely and can hear his thoughts, he shouldn't have any fear that the latter will occur, meaning that if someone does contact him he can prove his abilities are real and if nobody does then he can safely conclude that they are not.

Michel refuses to even acknowledge that this test has been suggested more than once by more than one person.
I think this (in my opinion, very bad) test was originally proposed by Jack by the hedge, several times. Actually, if nobody phones me, it does not necessarily mean that everybody is (actively) "conspiring" against me, a different, less dramatic, explanation could be that people are just not interested. In addition such a test could affect adversely my privacy and everybody's mental health, in my opinion. A little guessing game is more normal and less scary, I believe.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 03:32 PM   #1094
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,081
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I don't see how I could interact and discuss with other people, with a result that other people can read, using thought transference alone.
That's because you can't transfer your thoughts. If you could, you would transfer them telepathically and people would respond to you here. Since you know you can't, you have to actually type what you want to say to people.

Quote:
Actually, I think that many people (and animals) know many of my thoughts, but not all my thougts.
Actually, we know only those thoughts you've typed here. (You've misspelled 'thoughts', by the way, eroding your credibility even more.)

Quote:
In addition, usually, when I start writing a post, I have only a vague idea myself of what I am going to say. I know it only at the end, when the post is completed.
Yes, it's the same way with thoughts. Don't you wish you had the power to telepathically send your thoughts to others? If you could, you wouldn't have any qualms about thinking your phone number at us and waiting for a phone call.

Since I've given you zero credibility, every time you say that you can transmit your thoughts, we both know that you're not telling the truth.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 03:35 PM   #1095
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,081
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I think this (in my opinion, very bad) test was originally proposed by Jack by the hedge, several times. Actually, if nobody phones me, it does not necessarily mean that everybody is (actively) "conspiring" against me, a different, less dramatic, explanation could be that people are just not interested. In addition such a test could affect adversely my privacy and everybody's mental health, in my opinion. A little guessing game is more normal and less scary, I believe.
Here I give you partial credibility. I find your overly wordy explanation at the beginning to be indicative of falseness where you're accusing people of conspiring against you. In your last sentence, however, I've given you higher credibility due to how concisely you've stated that you know it's just a guessing game and doesn't involve telepathy at all.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 03:40 PM   #1096
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,553
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I think this (in my opinion, very bad) test was originally proposed by Jack by the hedge, several times. Actually, if nobody phones me, it does not necessarily mean that everybody is (actively) "conspiring" against me, a different, less dramatic, explanation could be that people are just not interested.
As I said, you already believe that people are interested, because you have people in the threads such as these who you believe are posting evidence they can hear your thoughts.

Quote:
In addition such a test could affect adversely my privacy and everybody's mental health, in my opinion.
So buy a burner phone. You can get them really cheaply and then you'll have number that you can give out that's not your private, personal one.

As far as everybody's mental health goes, how would it be any different from you doing what you're doing now?
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 03:52 PM   #1097
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Here I give you partial credibility. I find your overly wordy explanation at the beginning to be indicative of falseness where you're accusing people of conspiring against you. In your last sentence, however, I've given you higher credibility due to how concisely you've stated that you know it's just a guessing game and doesn't involve telepathy at all.
When I say "guessing game", I mean "telepathic guessing game", of course, see for example the top of this webpage: http://www.gotoquiz.com/i_can_guess_...re_thinking_of
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 03:59 PM   #1098
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 23,893
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I have read carefully again the highlighted (complicated) sentence above by Jack by the hedge, and I think I understand what he meant now.

There are several markers of hostility in this statement. You cannot refer to Jack by the hedge's sentence without calling it "complicated." In fact, it is a simple and easily comprehensible list. Rather than say you understand it, you say you think you understand it.

Your hostility, by your own rules, shows you to be prone to lying.

Quote:
Nevertheless, as a rule, when somebody says he/she did not use telepathy to obtain his/her answer, with no further statement, I consider it non-reliable or non-credible (this has nothing to do with the correctness or incorrectness of the answer).

Based on your hostility, you are lying. You do know that your "credibility" rating does have to do with the correctness or incorrectness of the answer. You do find incorrect answers to be untrustworthy just because they are incorrect.


Quote:
I wonder what Loss Leader would say if a surgeon said "I am going to operate on you, but I won't use my surgical instruments".

This is a flat-out lie. You do know what I would say because I projected that thought to you. Why are you pretending you cannot hear my thoughts? I have found that you are so upset by the fact that I have telepathic powers that you lie rather than admit it. I have found that you are so upset that I am superior to you that you pretend I am not. You would be much happier if you just stopped lying. If you come to terms with my telepathic powers and your ordinariness, maybe we can move on to a real test of the strength of my powers.

(I recently thought to President Trump that he should be very complimentary towards the President of China during his visit. He obviously heard my thoughts very clearly, despite being about 7,700 miles from me.)
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:02 PM   #1099
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
As I said, you already believe that people are interested, because you have people in the threads such as these who you believe are posting evidence they can hear your thoughts.



So buy a burner phone. You can get them really cheaply and then you'll have number that you can give out that's not your private, personal one.

As far as everybody's mental health goes, how would it be any different from you doing what you're doing now?
Quote:
So buy a burner phone. You can get them really cheaply and then you'll have number that you can give out that's not your private, personal one.
But once people have guessed the number of my temporary phone (if that happens), the next step is to guess the numbers of my fixed and mobile phones. No, thank you.
Quote:
As far as everybody's mental health goes, how would it be any different from you doing what you're doing now?
It would be less natural, I think. I don't want to urge people to become super-telepaths (but nothing would probably happen, anyway).
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:06 PM   #1100
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
The Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,893
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
When I say "guessing game", I mean "telepathic guessing game", of course, see for example the top of this webpage: http://www.gotoquiz.com/i_can_guess_...re_thinking_of
That's very odd. When you read English on a website, do you refer to it as "an English guessing game"? Do you normally have to guess at what words mean when used in sentences?



Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
But once people have guessed the number of my temporary phone (if that happens), the next step is to guess the numbers of my fixed and mobile phones. No, thank you.
There's no guessing involved. You are broadcasting the number of a burner phone and that's it. Only the people who have received your broadcast number will call it. Why in the world would anyone wish to call a number which you did not broadcast?
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:17 PM   #1101
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,081
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
When I say "guessing game", I mean "telepathic guessing game", of course, see for example the top of this webpage: http://www.gotoquiz.com/i_can_guess_...re_thinking_of
No, I have to give that a low credibility rating. You've become verbose and frankly you sound desperate in trying to fix your Freudian slip. You said guessing game and you meant guessing game. No telepathy involved.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:19 PM   #1102
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,081
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
But once people have guessed the number of my temporary phone (if that happens), the next step is to guess the numbers of my fixed and mobile phones. No, thank you.

It would be less natural, I think. I don't want to urge people to become super-telepaths (but nothing would probably happen, anyway).
These I give a high credibility rating to. You sound honestly like you're trying to apologize for telling fibs about having telepathy and are now trying to make amends by admitting it's always just been about guessing.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:25 PM   #1103
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
...
(I recently thought to President Trump that he should be very complimentary towards the President of China during his visit. He obviously heard my thoughts very clearly, despite being about 7,700 miles from me.)
If this is the only evidence you can present for your alleged telepathic superpowers, I don't think many people will be convinced, even on a ... hum ... more "advanced" site or forum. One annoying aspect of my apparent telepathic singularity (which I don't see as a superpower) is that I often hear voices who are trying to convince me to kill myself. And this is definitely not a superpower.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:43 PM   #1104
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Your sentence doesn't make any sense (it would perhaps make (just a little) more sense had you written:"... You have no way to tell whether his claim not to have used telepathy is true because ...")...


If it helps, my intention might have been more precisely expressed as "You have no way to tell whether his claim not to have used telepathy was made because...".

In any case, your decision to reject his guess was illogical because in the case where telepathy does not exist you are rejecting honest answers and in the case where it does exist but recipients are not consciously aware of it you are rejecting honest but mistaken answers. The only case where your rejection makes any sense is the case where everyone is aware of hearing your thoughts and lies about it. You can't prove that's the case by fiddling the results to reject any answer which casts doubt on it. And we already know that's not the case since we do not hear your thoughts.

Most people do not hear voices, yet a significant number do. And a proportion of them describe the voices they hear. Do you suppose there might be a common thread running through the voices they describe? Could it be that among all the imaginary voices they each hear, they all report hearing a man from Belgium?

It seems to me that would be what we should expect to be the case if your thought broadcasting was real. Don't you agree?

The fact that the mystery voice from Belgium is not a famous phenomenon tells us everything we need to know.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:45 PM   #1105
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,081
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
If this is the only evidence you can present for your alleged telepathic superpowers, I don't think many people will be convinced, even on a ... hum ... more "advanced" site or forum. One annoying aspect of my apparent telepathic singularity (which I don't see as a superpower) is that I often hear voices who are trying to convince me to kill myself. And this is definitely not a superpower.
This post I give very low credibility to. You are being hostile and unnecessarily argumentative. I give you some points for admitting that showing such a lack of evidence as you have for a claimed paranormal ability is not convincing.

Keep posting more, this assigning credibility is fun!
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:55 PM   #1106
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 23,893
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
When I say "guessing game", I mean "telepathic guessing game", of course, see for example the top of this webpage: http://www.gotoquiz.com/i_can_guess_...re_thinking_of

This is neither a guessing game nor a telepathic guessing game. You are once again being dishonest.

Questions 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 can be disregarded.

Questions 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 give all the information to find a number between 1 and 7.

If your number is 1, the answers will be: Odd, (Doesn't Matter), No, Yes, Yes.

If you chose 2: Even, No, (Doesn't Matter), Yes

If you chose 3: Odd, (Doesn't Matter), No, Yes, No

If you chose 4: Even, Yes

If you chose 5: Odd, (Doesn't Matter), No, No

if you chose 6: Even, No, (Doesn't Matter), No

If you chose 7: Odd, (Doesn't Matter), Yes


You continue to be untrustworthy.
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:04 PM   #1107
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 23,893
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
If this is the only evidence you can present for your alleged telepathic superpowers, I don't think many people will be convinced, even on a ... hum ... more "advanced" site or forum. One annoying aspect of my apparent telepathic singularity (which I don't see as a superpower) is that I often hear voices who are trying to convince me to kill myself. And this is definitely not a superpower.

Your aggression shows through more clearly than ever. You sarcastically refer to this form as quote-advanced-unquote. You call my powers "alleged". Worst of all, you point out that telepathy can be "annoying".

By your own rules, you lack credibility. Your answers can be disregarded as lies.

I did not only present evidence of my telepathy. Early on, I used my telepathic powers to see into your weak and ordinary mind and pull out the number you were thinking of. You did not feel aggressively towards me back then so your thoughts were very easy to read and you did not change your answer when you knew I was right. Since then, your aggression has grown. After that point, even when I got the right answer by reading your mind, you lied and changed your answer to agree with someone whose powers do not frighten you.

You do let slip one true statement, probably subconsciously. You call telepathy "annoying". I am sure that you do feel annoyed by your jealousy of my extraordinary telepathic abilities.

Your claim of hearing threatening voices is not credible. It is untrue.
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:05 PM   #1108
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I think this (in my opinion, very bad) test was originally proposed by Jack by the hedge, several times. Actually, if nobody phones me, it does not necessarily mean that everybody is (actively) "conspiring" against me, a different, less dramatic, explanation could be that people are just not interested. In addition such a test could affect adversely my privacy and everybody's mental health, in my opinion. A little guessing game is more normal and less scary, I believe.


This is not credible. This is absurd. You claim to believe you project your thoughts worldwide yet, with an audience of 7 billion, you hide behind the excuse that perhaps none of them would be curious enough to ring the number you broadcast. Can you really not see how silly that is?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:18 PM   #1109
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
... Early on, I used my telepathic powers to see into your weak and ordinary mind and pull out the number you were thinking of. You did not feel aggressively towards me back then so your thoughts were very easy to read and you did not change your answer when you knew I was right. ...
So, are you saying now that your "famous" correct answer of four years ago:
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I am seeing a 4 very clearly. It's almost as though I had written it myself.
was actually genuine and serious (not a lie), and that you really did use telepathy? (I suppose this is roughly true btw, but you did not always say so).

Last edited by Michel H; 11th November 2017 at 05:19 PM.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:30 PM   #1110
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
This is neither a guessing game nor a telepathic guessing game. You are once again being dishonest.

Questions 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 can be disregarded.

Questions 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 give all the information to find a number between 1 and 7.

If your number is 1, the answers will be: Odd, (Doesn't Matter), No, Yes, Yes.

If you chose 2: Even, No, (Doesn't Matter), Yes

If you chose 3: Odd, (Doesn't Matter), No, Yes, No

If you chose 4: Even, Yes

If you chose 5: Odd, (Doesn't Matter), No, No

if you chose 6: Even, No, (Doesn't Matter), No

If you chose 7: Odd, (Doesn't Matter), Yes


You continue to be untrustworthy.
I only quoted the webpage: http://www.gotoquiz.com/i_can_guess_...re_thinking_of because of a small vocabulary problem, to show a use of "telepathically guess". I have no reason to object to your explanations about that game.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:36 PM   #1111
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
But once people have guessed the number of my temporary phone (if that happens), the next step is to guess the numbers of my fixed and mobile phones. No, thank you.
According to your claim......everyone on the planet, already knows your mobile and fixed line phone numbers through your involuntary telepathy.

You have just unwittingly announced to everyone here, that no one has ever telephoned you, on your mobile or fixed line, to tell you you are telepathic.

You just shot yourself in the foot again.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:43 PM   #1112
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
...
You have just ... announced to everyone here, that no one has ever telephoned you, on your mobile or fixed line, to tell you you are telepathic.
...
Actually, people have called me and told me I am telepathic, but this happened after telepathy tests on the phone, after I had put an ad in newspapers, where I had given my phone number (they did not have to divine it).
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:47 PM   #1113
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
.... is that I often hear voices who are trying to convince me to kill myself.
.....and the half billion dogs around the planet, who "reacted" when you consciously thought the statement "Dogs can't read". (Do you want to read those posts you made again?)

So, what does the thoughts of half a billion dogs, around the world sound like in your head?

Was it a slow chorus of barks, or each dog just yapping away at his own pace to express their reaction?

Do dogs articulate thoughts into meaningful expressions? ( "I am reacting to your thoughts and demand you take me for walkies") or is their conversation just lots and lots of barking dogs?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:48 PM   #1114
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,081
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Actually, people have called me and told me I am telepathic, but this happened after telepathy tests on the phone, after I had put an ad in newspapers, where I had given my phone number (they did not have to divine it).
I think this post has good credibility. You have toned down your animosity. Thank you for admitting that you had to post your number in the paper before people would call you, also admitting that you can't project your thoughts.

Do you see how when you calm down that you are able to admit you've invented a telepathic ability?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:56 PM   #1115
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Actually, people have called me and told me I am telepathic, but this happened after telepathy tests on the phone,......
I can't stop laughing.


Sane person : (Ring Ring)...."Hello".
Michel H : "Hi. My name is Michel H. Can you hear my voice?"
Sane Person : "Yes I can hear your voice"
Michel H : "That's because I am telepathic".
Sane Person : "Isn't that because you are using the telephone?"
Michel H : "No. It's telepathy. I'll prove it by hanging up and then ringing you again" (Click)
Sane person : (Ring Ring)...."Hello".
Michel H : "See! Isn't it amazing"
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:57 PM   #1116
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
I think this post has good credibility. You have toned down your animosity. Thank you for admitting that you had to post your number in the paper before people would call you, also admitting that you can't project your thoughts.

Do you see how when you calm down that you are able to admit you've invented a telepathic ability?
I never "admitted" that I "invented a telepathic ability". I said that people told me I had a tendency to "broadcast my thoughts in a special way" on the phone, after ESP tests.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 06:03 PM   #1117
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,081
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I never "admitted" that I "invented a telepathic ability". I said that people told me I had a tendency to "broadcast my thoughts in a special way" on the phone, after ESP tests.
This post has low credibility. You've reverted to being argumentative and hostile again when I pointed out that by admitting you had to advertise your phone number in the paper, you were tacitly admitting that you had no telepathic ability. I'll have to throw out your claim that others told you that you have telepathic ability. I'll assume they were being sarcastic and you were unable to realize it due to your hostility or you've just invented that like your imagined ability.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 06:07 PM   #1118
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I said that people told me I had a tendency to "broadcast my thoughts in a special way" on the phone, after ESP tests.
Sane Person : (Ring Ring) "Hello?"
Michel H : "Can you hear my voice?"
Sane Person : "It's you again!"
Michel H : "See! You knew I was going to ring again because you can hear my thoughts!"
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 06:12 PM   #1119
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,081
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Sane Person : (Ring Ring) "Hello?"
Michel H : "Can you hear my voice?"
Sane Person : "It's you again!"
Michel H : "See! You knew I was going to ring again because you can hear my thoughts!"
This post has high credibility. It made me lol.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 06:18 PM   #1120
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,205
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
This post has high credibility. It made me lol.
It's nasty and very low-level though (the phone calls did not happen like that). I think that this forum has a problem with reality.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:09 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.