ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Reply
Old 13th November 2017, 08:29 AM   #1161
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Hey Michel, you had THAT for breakfast? Wow, don't you know that is terribly unhealthy?

No, no, no. Stop projecting your excuses, already.
Terribly unhealthy, no, I wouldn't say that (I have stopped eating sugar, or at least added sugar). A little unhealthy, perhaps.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 08:35 AM   #1162
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,632
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
This is another small error that I made, I don't think it has any significance.
Cool. Nor do I. I hope you'll also try to see the insignificance of other people's small errors.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 08:49 AM   #1163
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,144
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
This is another small error that I made, I don't think it has any significance.
This post has very low credibility. You've pointed out small errors which would otherwise be insignificant in other people's posts when they had a 'wrong' answer to your 'tests' for the purpose of discarding results you didn't like.

Hypocrisy earns no credibility.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 08:55 AM   #1164
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm currently doing an interesting free course on the Cognitive Sciences and in the video I just watched the presenter referred to an experiment which might cast some light on what is going on here. I've found this paper, which goes into more detail than the video.
Quote:
... One urn had 85% red beads and 15% blue beads and the other had 85% blue beads and 15% red beads. ...
...
The probability of somebody replying to another person so quickly that the post times of the two posts (shown on the forum with minute accuracy) are exactly the same is probably extremely small, much smaller than 15%. If you have any doubts about that, look at many replies on this forum and check the times. If you want to really understand what happened with Loss Leader, I suggest you read carefully this recent post by him, which was submitted about 19 hours before his "apparent telepathic feat":
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
... Early on, I used my telepathic powers to see into your weak and ordinary mind and pull out the number you were thinking of. You did not feel aggressively towards me back then so your thoughts were very easy to read and you did not change your answer when you knew I was right. ...
I think this gives some insight about his state of mind (he may have wanted to prove his ability, which was perhaps not taken seriously by some).
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 09:16 AM   #1165
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
The probability of somebody replying to another person so quickly that the post times of the two posts (shown on the forum with minute accuracy) are exactly the same is probably extremely small, much smaller than 15%.
1. That's completely irrelevant to the point I was making, which is about why you might erroneously believe that a few people guessing correctly when they have a 1-in-4 chance of doing so is meaningful

2. Loss Leader has explained that he made a post whilst you were also posting, read your post, then edited the post he had just made to answer the post you had just made. You can see from the 'last edited' time stamp that he edited the post several minutes after making it, which bears this out. This is not improbable at all, it happens all the time. I've done it myself.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 09:25 AM   #1166
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
1. That's completely irrelevant to the point I was making, which is about why you might erroneously believe that a few people guessing correctly when they have a 1-in-4 chance of doing so is meaningful

2. Loss Leader has explained that he made a post whilst you were also posting, read your post, then edited the post he had just made to answer the post you had just made. You can see from the 'last edited' time stamp that he edited the post several minutes after making it, which bears this out. This is not improbable at all, it happens all the time. I've done it myself.
If what was observed here (same post times) "happens all the time", then you should be able to find easily a very large of replies whose times are exactly identical to the times of the posts they were replying to. Good luck with that.

Last edited by Michel H; 13th November 2017 at 09:26 AM.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 09:35 AM   #1167
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
If what was observed here (same post times) "happens all the time", then you should be able to find easily a very large of replies whose times are exactly identical to the times of the posts they were replying to. Good luck with that.
All I need to find are posts that were edited within 3 or 4 minutes of being made, which was all that actually happened. Do you really need me to do that?

ETA: Like this one.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 13th November 2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: To make a point
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 09:48 AM   #1168
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
All I need to find are posts that were edited within 3 or 4 minutes of being made, which was all that actually happened. Do you really need me to do that?

ETA: Like this one.
I don't see how this helps your argument: you did not find an original post, and its reply post whose first posting times were exactly the same, as it occurred with this post:
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I am sorry if I sound sometimes a little rude but my own ethical rules require me to always try to tell it "like it is", to say the truth as I understand it (while acknowledging positive contributions from others), instead of a behavior which might be perceived as more socially acceptable. Should my own rules conflict with the rules of this forum, I would hope the moderator team will take the context into account. I am getting a lot of attacks, so it is normal that I fight back.

Sometimes, I feel a little, on this forum, like a person who would be trying to sell "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins in Vatican City (the "Vatican City" of Skepticism, here, on this forum). Not the most comfortable of situations.
(unedited)
and its reply:
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
No, you are saying what you convince yourself of because you are afraid to confront the fact that I am a true telepath and that you have no special powers. By your own rules, this causes you to lie. That is what you are doing now.





This is extraordinarily hostile. It shows that you continue to lack credibility. Stop lying.
(edited)
Do you see that the first posting times of these two posts (on the left of your screen), 06:43 PM GMT, are identical?

Last edited by Michel H; 13th November 2017 at 09:57 AM.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 09:57 AM   #1169
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,916
Yes, Loss Leader posted to the thread at the same time you did. There is nothing odd about this, it's just a coincidence. I don't know what he originally posted, but after hitting submit Loss Leader scrolled up to see if any more posts had appeared whilst he had been posting his (I always do this, on an active thread it's not unusual for other posts to have appeared whilst I was typing), saw yours, and decided to edit the post he had just made to reply to it instead of replying to it separately. If he had done the latter his second post would have had a time stamp showing it had been made 3 minutes later, as he edited an existing post it's the 'last edited' timestamp that shows this.

There is nothing remotely odd about this. I am at a loss to understand why you are making such a big deal of it.

Look, I'm clairvoyant! You can see from the timestamp at the top of my post that I'm quoting a post Loss Leader isn't going to make for another two minutes:

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
First posting times are irrelevant when a post has been edited and I can prove it:
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 13th November 2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: To make the point again
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 09:59 AM   #1170
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,082
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Do you see that the first posting times (on the left of your screen), 06:43 PM GMT, are identical?

First posting times are irrelevant when a post has been edited and I can prove it:

1. I quoted your post. Even if I used telepathy to know when you were going to post, I could not have quoted your post until I'd seen it.

2. You yourself saw that my eventual post was not what I had originally written. You saw that I'd written the placeholder, "Edited". In fact, that was my second edit. I'd written a substantive post, then deleted it, before I even wrote, "Edited".
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 10:23 AM   #1171
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
If you want me to admit I'm not psychic, I'm not going to do that. It's true that, after I posted, I saw you had posted while I was writing. So, rather than leave my post which now made no sense in context, I went back and edited it. It's also true that cross-posting is actually exceedingly common. It happens all the time. And it is true that I used no psychic power to learn when you were posting.

Even so, I am telepathic. You are not.
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Yes, Loss Leader posted to the thread at the same time you did. There is nothing odd about this, it's just a coincidence. I don't know what he originally posted, but after hitting submit Loss Leader scrolled up to see if any more posts had appeared whilst he had been posting his (I always do this, on an active thread it's not unusual for other posts to have appeared whilst I was typing), saw yours, and decided to edit the post he had just made to reply to it instead of replying to it separately. If he had done the latter his second post would have had a time stamp showing it had been made 3 minutes later, as he edited an existing post it's the 'last edited' timestamp that shows this.

There is nothing remotely odd about this. I am at a loss to understand why you are making such a big deal of it.

Look, I'm clairvoyant! You can see from the timestamp at the top of my post that I'm quoting a post Loss Leader isn't going to make for another two minutes:
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
First posting times are irrelevant when a post has been edited and I can prove it:

1. I quoted your post. Even if I used telepathy to know when you were going to post, I could not have quoted your post until I'd seen it.

2. You yourself saw that my eventual post was not what I had originally written. You saw that I'd written the placeholder, "Edited". In fact, that was my second edit. I'd written a substantive post, then deleted it, before I even wrote, "Edited".
OK, you have convinced me. Although the fact that Loss Leader posted in this thread at about the time I was replying to him may not have been entirely coincidental or fortuitous, this is not a good argument.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 10:29 AM   #1172
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite
 
calebprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,461
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Woah.

Is it me, or did Pixel42 predict what LL was going to say by a couple of minutes!?


That's post 1169.

I'm not saying that's an interesting number, but interesting number.
__________________
Life sucks, and then you die

( Sung to the tune of the old Time jingle: "Time flies, and you are there!" )

Last edited by calebprime; 13th November 2017 at 10:30 AM.
calebprime is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 03:29 PM   #1173
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,693
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Although the fact that Loss Leader posted in this thread at about the time I was replying to him may not have been entirely coincidental or fortuitous.
The common expression on this forum when someone posts at the same time as yourself, with the same information is "I was ninjed by ...." as in a Japanese ninja. It's quite common.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 05:01 PM   #1174
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,726
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Yes, I do ....
That shows little knowledge about how the real world acts..
There is a thing called forum software where to reply to a post, it has to exist first !
That is exactly what I I have just done Your post existed. It is physically impossible for anyone in the world to reply to your post before it existed.

P.S. I edited this post a few minutes after I posted it to show you that it can be done.
Original post @ 1:01 PM

Second edit: Previous edit was @ 01:07 PM

Last edited by Reality Check; 13th November 2017 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Show Michel H and edited post
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 05:05 PM   #1175
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,726
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I suggest you read carefully this recent post.
We read:
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Your aggression shows through more clearly than ever. You sarcastically refer to this form as quote-advanced-unquote. You call my powers "alleged". Worst of all, you point out that telepathy can be "annoying".

By your own rules, you lack credibility. Your answers can be disregarded as lies.

I did not only present evidence of my telepathy. Early on, I used my telepathic powers to see into your weak and ordinary mind and pull out the number you were thinking of. You did not feel aggressively towards me back then so your thoughts were very easy to read and you did not change your answer when you knew I was right. Since then, your aggression has grown. After that point, even when I got the right answer by reading your mind, you lied and changed your answer to agree with someone whose powers do not frighten you.

You do let slip one true statement, probably subconsciously. You call telepathy "annoying". I am sure that you do feel annoyed by your jealousy of my extraordinary telepathic abilities.

Your claim of hearing threatening voices is not credible. It is untrue.
So what?
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 06:22 PM   #1176
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
We read:

So what?
I no longer think the fact that post 1137 and post 1138 have (rather curiously) the same posting times should be considered as serious evidence for my telepathy hypothesis, Reality Check. On this specific point (though not on many others, in my opinion), I think that Loss Leader and Pixel42 have given convincing arguments and explanations. Some kind of rare coincidence may have happened.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 07:31 PM   #1177
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,365
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I no longer think the fact that post 1137 and post 1138 have (rather curiously) the same posting times should be considered as serious evidence for my telepathy hypothesis, Reality Check. On this specific point (though not on many others, in my opinion), I think that Loss Leader and Pixel42 have given convincing arguments and explanations. Some kind of rare coincidence may have happened.
No, a rare occurrence would you be participating in a legitimate test.
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 07:56 PM   #1178
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
No, a rare occurrence would you be participating in a legitimate test.
Or for you to participate in a legitimate test, since the only time this happened (if I remember correctly) was in August 2013.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 07:59 PM   #1179
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,365
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Or for you to participate in a legitimate test, since the only time this happened (if I remember correctly) was in August 2013.
Have you made a legitimate test I can participate in?

Protip: It isn't picking a number from 1-4
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 08:05 PM   #1180
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Have you made a legitimate test I can participate in?

Protip: It isn't picking a number from 1-4
You should perhaps pay attention to the opinion of this gentleman: http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/thread...6/#post-120055 , in a parapsychology-oriented forum, liked by two members of that forum.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 08:20 PM   #1181
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster
 
Little 10 Toes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,846
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I no longer think the fact that post 1137 and post 1138 have (rather curiously) the same posting times should be considered as serious evidence for my telepathy hypothesis, Reality Check. On this specific point (though not on many others, in my opinion), I think that Loss Leader and Pixel42 have given convincing arguments and explanations. Some kind of rare coincidence may have happened.
No, it's not rare.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...3#post12072803
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post12072804

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0#post11894610
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...3#post11894613

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...3#post11894893
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5#post11894895

and from this thread

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2#post11487682
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...3#post11487683

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2#post11493312
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post11493316
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 08:44 PM   #1182
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,726
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
On this specific point (though not on many others, in my opinion)...
We still have an obviously flawed test.
9 November 2017: Ask any undergraduate science student about confirmation bias, sample size, etc.
Which you have not published in several years unless I missed the answer to:
9 November 2017: So where in the last 4 years (22 October 2013) have you tried to publish your work?
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 09:02 PM   #1183
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,365
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
You should perhaps pay attention to the opinion of this gentleman: http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/thread...6/#post-120055 , in a parapsychology-oriented forum, liked by two members of that forum.
It would appear your failures and inability to detect sarcasm span the internet.
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 09:17 PM   #1184
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
What makes post 1137 and post 1138 so curious is the fact that the second one is a reply to the first one, and yet they have the same (first) posting times.

Last edited by Michel H; 13th November 2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Remark by Loss Leader
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 09:27 PM   #1185
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
It would appear your failures and inability to detect sarcasm span the internet.
It seems to be a special feature of this forum to always try to distort meanings which are obvious to anybody else.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 10:08 PM   #1186
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,082
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
What makes post 1137 and post 1138 so curious is the fact that the second one is a reply to the first one, and yet they have the same posting times.

No, they don't. My original post had the same time as yours. But my edited post had a several minute difference. For that matter, the timing of my post was anything but random. It was 1:43 p.m. I usually get my kids to school and then visit the forum around 8:00 a.m. I take a nap every day and usually wake up at 12:00 p.m. I then visit the forum until I have to get the kids at 2:00 p.m. I get another chance to post in the evening between 5:00 and 8:00 pm. Then I take a last look just before bed at, like this post, about midnight.

This is borne out by my posting times in this thread. Going backwards from right now, they are:

11:59 am - right after my nap
12:01 am - around midnight
7:32 pm - evening after kids' homework
6:09 pm - evening after kids' homework
1:43 pm - after my nap
12:18 am - around midnight
8:26 pm - evening after kids' homework
7:04 pm - evening after kids' homework
6:55 pm - evening after kids' homework
5:59 pm - evening after kids' homework
2:32 pm - Saturday (no school for the kids) after my nap
5:21 pm - Friday after school (no homework)
4:09 pm - Friday after school ( no homework)

So, the times that I post are anything but random. Thus, it is an error to consider any one post a random trial. There are actually far fewer probable times for me to post than total minutes in a day.
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 12:03 AM   #1187
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,916
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
It seems to be a special feature of this forum to always try to distort meanings which are obvious to anybody else.
Sarcasm is obvious to most people. The only person on this thread trying to distort the obvious is you.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 04:13 AM   #1188
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,836
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
It seems to be a special feature of this forum to always try to distort meanings which are obvious to anybody else.
Says the only person who disagrees about the meaning of said posts.

Those shares I bought in 'Irony Detector Detector Repairs R Us' are gonna buy me a yacht!
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 06:33 AM   #1189
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I no longer think the fact that .. should be considered as serious evidence for my telepathy hypothesis, Reality Check. On this specific point (though not on many others, in my opinion), I think that Loss Leader and Pixel42 have given convincing arguments and explanations.
This is pretty rare and deserves a nod: well done Michel for changing your mind on the matter.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.