ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 26th October 2017, 07:14 PM   #1841
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
So, basically any time it comes down to quantifying something, it's best to avoid it and focus on the gestalt.
Actually, footers would rather focus on anything that allows them to ignore the reality of no bigfoot anything anywhere. Inventing metrics concerning a fuzzy phonied-up monkey movie is as good a red herring as any.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 07:50 AM   #1842
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by hiflier on BFF
In retrospect it appears that an averave 6 foot Human male will have a total shouder span of a little over 25% of his height. Patty has a toal shoulder span of 42%!! And that's if she is only 6 foot tall.

Wow, her shoulder width is 42% of her height.

42% seems highly disproportionate for a bipedal hominoid. Yet when I look at Patty I see what appears to be a form of bulky hominoid that is highly proportionate.

What is going on here? Are my eyes deceiving me?
Old 27th October 2017, 08:06 AM   #1843
Drewbot
Philosopher

Your eyes can't comprehend the unusual angle of her walk.

Instead focus on how long her arms are.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 08:23 AM   #1844
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

42% seems highly disproportionate for a bipedal hominoid. Yet when I look at Patty I see what appears to be a form of bulky hominoid that is highly proportionate.

Using the average shoulder width ratio means nothing. He needs to measure a few of the people that sit next to me on airplanes, or use the extreme upper values of his data. Plus Bob said the suit had football shoulder pads in it.
Old 30th October 2017, 12:02 PM   #1845
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

http://bigfootforums.com/topic/57919...s-real/?page=4
Quote:
This is worth an all out investigation into the matter because even my somewhat primitive investigation has already shown what should be obvious as far as not being able to fake Patty. It's even more obvious in the stabilized version of the film. Patty's motion compared with Patty's shoulder width truly says it all.

And that's what a new, current, logic and focus should be aimed at. This thread will be a week old tomorrow. So far, no detractors. That says something.
It says that the twelve or thirteen deep thinkers who regularly frequent that establishment are even more clueless than you.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 09:22 PM   #1846
DennyT
Master Poster

I guess I am way behind on Bigfoot news but I don’t live in a cave. So how is it that Bill Munns moved to Vietnam and became a novelist without me hearing about it?
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 11:23 PM   #1847
barehl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by hiflier on BFF View Post
Human male will have a total shoulder span of a little over 25% of his height. Patty has a total shoulder span of 42%!!
My shoulder span is 35%!!
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 11:27 PM   #1848
barehl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Your eyes can't comprehend the unusual angle of her walk.
The figure walks exactly how I would expect a human male to walk.

Quote:
Instead focus on how long her arms are.
Obviously hand extensions. This would certainly explain the unnatural positioning of the hands.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 11:39 PM   #1849
DennyT
Master Poster

Does anyone know what Munns did with his PGF material?
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 08:14 AM   #1850
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by barehl View Post

Obviously hand extensions. This would certainly explain the unnatural positioning of the hands.
No hand extensions. His hands just fall short of the gloves.
Old 11th November 2017, 07:57 PM   #1851
barehl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
No hand extensions. His hands just fall short of the gloves.
Yes, if his fingers didn't fill the gloves this could easily extend the costume hands by 4-5 inches. That would probably be enough for the effect we see.
Old 13th November 2017, 05:53 AM   #1852
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by barehl View Post

Barehl thinks I was being serious.
LOLZ
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 08:49 AM   #1853
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

The world of Bigfoot is like that old friend you had from years ago; you can not see each other for a decade and when you do finally cross paths, it's like nothing ever changed!

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 08:53 AM   #1854
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
I've always given Roger Patterson credit for being a "made things happen" kind of guy. With his PGF ending up being way more than just a curious film clip that has far outlasted its presumptive lifespan. He surely wasn't stupid, but I bet he had no serious thoughts its legacy would be so alive and well 50 years later. For all intents and purposes he invented the three-dimensional Bigfoot as we know it with the PGF, he just didn't live long enough to see that.

Only those who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible.” AE
As much as what Roger did was trend-setting and unique, it also took a plethora of gullible ass-hats to continue the silliness for over 40 years and make the PGF what it is today.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 05:04 PM   #1855
DennyT
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

So happens I have a set of shoulder pads that I scored for nothing at a garage sale, and they have a width of 30 inches. That is 42% of 6ft.
(Drops mic)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal