ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "Ghost Adventures" , ghosts , tv shows

Old 18th October 2008, 12:45 PM   #1
phaed
Scholar

New show Ghost Adventures

I searched the forums and didn't find a thread yet on the new show Ghost Adventures. I'm wondering what people think of it, especially their style of "taunting" the "ghosts."

There's also a much-talked about scene where a brick goes flying, and another where they see a face around a corner which disappears. These guys are the luckiest ghost hunters I've ever seen.

In one episode, they visit a bar called Bud Mackey's (I think) in Wilder, KY. There's a scene where an employee is unlocking the basement to let them in, and it immediately cuts to an interior shot, showing them walk through the door. If they had just unlocked the basement, how is it possible for a camera to already be inside?

So far, that is the only egregious error that I've seen.
phaed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Clairvoyant_Kyle
Thinker

Originally Posted by phaed View Post

In one episode, they visit a bar called Bud Mackey's (I think) in Wilder, KY. There's a scene where an employee is unlocking the basement to let them in, and it immediately cuts to an interior shot, showing them walk through the door. If they had just unlocked the basement, how is it possible for a camera to already be inside?
SHHHHHHHHH, stop that dangerous talk! You’re going to let all the idiots of the world know how to spot the obvious. Before you know it they will all be aware that the “reality” part of “reality shows” isn’t all that real. Then where will this world be when all the idiots are too disappointed to spend every waking moments of their life’s watching and discussing what Spencer said about Loren last night on The Hills. That’s no world I want to live in.

-Kyle

Last edited by Clairvoyant_Kyle; 18th October 2008 at 09:43 PM.
Clairvoyant_Kyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:45 AM   #3
TheDeeMan
Scholar

Originally Posted by Clairvoyant_Kyle View Post
SHHHHHHHHH, stop that dangerous talk! You’re going to let all the idiots of the world know how to spot the obvious. Before you know it they will all be aware that the “reality” part of “reality shows” isn’t all that real.
Oh sure. What's next--No Santa!!!

You have to admit though, for sheer entertainment value shows like this can't be beat.

Dee
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I'll definitely be watching this.
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:58 AM   #5
TheDeeMan
Scholar

You can't beat shows like this, MonsterQuest, Destination truth (a personal fave), etc, for putting a smile on your face.

Dee
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:11 AM   #6
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

I searched the forums and didn't find a thread yet on the new show Ghost Adventures. I'm wondering what people think of it, especially their style of "taunting" the "ghosts."

There's also a much-talked about scene where a brick goes flying, and another where they see a face around a corner which disappears. These guys are the luckiest ghost hunters I've ever seen.

That's the one where they scream and run out of the basement? I remember watching that one but I don't remember the one with the face around the corner. Also, wasn't there a mining shack or something that they spent the night in and one (or more) of them was really unable to go on with it? Almost as if he was going to have a nervous breakdown. Finally had to leave and spend the night in the car or something.

I do agree with one thing I heard on Ghost Hunters, you don't want to be a ghost hunter if you're going to run away from paranormal phenomena. I would add, especially if you're on tv.

I'll probably watch it. Looks like it might have a train wreck quality about it.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:15 AM   #7
TheDeeMan
Scholar

Speaking of train wreck quality, has anyone watched Paranormal State? I haven't checked it out yet and I'm usually up on these things.

Dee
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:55 AM   #8
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Originally Posted by TheDeeMan View Post
Speaking of train wreck quality, has anyone watched Paranormal State? I haven't checked it out yet and I'm usually up on these things.

Dee
That one makes me want to throw my shoe through the tv screen. They don't actually investigate so much as they bless the home and the people and imagine everyplace is haunted because of the "feelings" they get. Very religion oriented. They also have Lorraine Warren on pretty much regularly along with some other mousey little psychic. I had to stop watching it after my wife instituted a Rule 10 in the house. Absolutely maddening.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:40 PM   #9
TheDeeMan
Scholar

Might be worth a peek just for a laugh.

Dee
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Clairvoyant_Kyle
Thinker

Oh wait, I think I do now remember this show. The brick goes flying, they run around like scared children, then the voice over says they could not find their way out so they had to jump out a second story window right? If this is a show these guys are chumps. They have to balls to say they are hunting ghosts, but soon as some kind of event happens showing they may of found what they are looking for they run. So why bother looking for ghosts in the first place if all you’re going to do is run when you experience something paranormal? Seems like a complete waste of time to me. Unless…you are not actually looking for ghosts but instead making a scripted show that is trying to one up the Ghost Hunters. After all it is a pretty damn popular show with a very low production cost. Why not attempt to cash in also. To stand out all you have to do is acutely catch something GOOD on tape unlike the Ghost Hunters. All you need is a scary abandon building, a few well-placed cameras, and a couple parlor tricks followed up by bad acting and you got your self a nice check in the mail every month. Of course I do not know this for fact, but I think after their series airs we (the people with the ability to see obvious fraud) will see all the holes in that show.

-Kyle
Clairvoyant_Kyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2008, 02:25 PM   #11
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Ghost Hunters Drinking Game*

Every time there's a shaky night vision shot of a doofus in a baseball cap, waving a stud detector (or something equally nonsensical) around, saying "What the hell was that?!", take a drink.

*In interests of full disclosure, I've never watched a full episode of Ghost Hunters, so most of my snarky observations come from their commercials.
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:44 PM   #12
not daSkeptic
Graduate Poster

I often wonder what the people who make these shows tell their children.

"Mommy! There's a ghost in my closet."

"There's no such thing as ghosts, dear."

"But on TV you say there are."

"Well that's ... different ..."
not daSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:51 PM   #13
Chris H
Magician Among Spirits

I'm so jealous. You guys get all the good shows. We get bugger all here in Oz...

Chris
Chris H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:00 PM   #14
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You can't beat shows like this, MonsterQuest, Destination truth (a personal fave), etc, for putting a smile on your face.
No.

Originally Posted by GuerrillaMagic View Post
I'm so jealous. You guys get all the good shows. We get bugger all here in Oz...
They're all on Foxtel/Austar. Usually on Channel W.
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:01 PM   #15
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Originally Posted by GuerrillaMagic View Post

Chris

So all those stories about prison are true...
Old 8th October 2017, 07:29 AM   #16
The Shrike
Illuminator

Re-booting this thread from 2008 (!) as it is evidently the only dedicated Ghost Adventures thread here. My teenage daughter and her friends enjoy the Scooby Doo-ness of the show and the chance to get spooked by creepy things. They mostly enjoy laughing at the antics of Zac "Bilbo" Bagans and Co., but they also get weirded out by some of the sounds/footage/etc. When I watch with her I can easily explain most of it away but for others I'm just hand-waving, so I thought it would help to expand our ISF repository of "that's BS, and here's why" with respect to that show.

Here's a start: In last night's episode at a creepy doll museum, a doll falls off a shelf and scares our hero. They then use their EMF meter to show that the background "milli-gals" are 0.1 or 0.2, but closer to the doll they jump all the way up to 0.5 and 0.6! Spirit energy confirmed! Other than the obvious performance art, can our hive mind here at the ISF provide insight on what might be a more mundane explanation?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2017, 04:58 PM   #17
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Chris H View Post

Chris
You had one good show "Women of Cell Block H".
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 04:09 AM   #18
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post

Here's a start: In last night's episode at a creepy doll museum, a doll falls off a shelf and scares our hero. They then use their EMF meter to show that the background "milli-gals" are 0.1 or 0.2, but closer to the doll they jump all the way up to 0.5 and 0.6! Spirit energy confirmed! Other than the obvious performance art, can our hive mind here at the ISF provide insight on what might be a more mundane explanation?
As they moved in on the doll they brought electrical equipment (video/audio/lights) closer to the EMF detector? (Haven't seen it so just a guess BTW)
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 05:57 AM   #19
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
As they moved in on the doll they brought electrical equipment (video/audio/lights) closer to the EMF detector? (Haven't seen it so just a guess BTW)
Just another guess, if the doll was close to the wall they could have been moving closer to electrical wiring in the walls: for lights, HVAC, outlets, etc. (also haven't seen it, just tossing out more guesses).
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 06:02 AM   #20
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
You had one good show "Women of Cell Block H".
Prisoner: Cell Block H

...though it may have had other names (was it just "Prisoner" in Oz?).
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 10:41 AM   #21
Ernie M
Muse

The fluctuating EMF meter

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
[...]

Simple explanation how the EMF reading went up-and-down:

There was an EMF source out of camera view. The source, (for example, a two-way radio) is moved closer to, or further from, the EMF meter, or brought more inline with the meters' single axis.

The milligauss reading was played-up to look high–but could be considered low.

I would like to know what Ghost Adventures episode you referenced–I believe it may be "Hauntings Of Vicksburg: Demons And Dolls" from Season fifteen, episode four?

While EMF meters are a scientific instrument, there is no scientific proof they detect ghosts. Why? 1) Ghosts/spirits haven't been proven to exist and, 2) there is no proof that if ghosts/spirits exist, that they emit EMF.

EMF meters measure electromagnetic fields, they do not detect ghosts.

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2017, 01:10 PM   #22
Mackenberg
Thinker

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Prisoner: Cell Block H

...though it may have had other names (was it just "Prisoner" in Oz?).
"Prisoner" was the series title in Australia and New Zealand. IIRC they added "Cell Block H" for European release so as not to confuse it with the classic Patrick McGoohan '60s spy-fi series "The Prisoner".

Back on topic, I've only ever seen short excerpts of these "reality" ghost-hunter shows - mostly via this forum, actually - but I wish someone would devote those production resources to a show that actively celebrates the skeptical approach.
Mackenberg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 06:14 PM   #23
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ernie M View Post
There was an EMF source out of camera view. The source, (for example, a two-way radio) is moved closer to, or further from, the EMF meter, or brought more inline with the meters' single axis.
I was wondering if moving the camera closer would've done it, too.

Thanks for the explanation.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 06:55 AM   #24
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

This show is my guilty pleasure.

I pretty much just watch it to laugh at it. I have yet to see any "evidence" produced by the guys on this show that can't be explained in an entirely mundane way, but it's so FUNNY to see how they react to the crap that supposedly happens. I've honestly been missing my fix while I've been in Kuwait; I'll be glad to get home and get caught up on the lunacy.
Old 14th October 2017, 04:22 PM   #25
Axxman300
Master Poster

It's Three Stooges Ghost-Hunting.

Considering the show started 8 years ago they're not any better than they were in the first season. There is no commitment to objective data collection whatsoever. The show is something I would recommend for aspiring ghost hunters AND first year biology students to watch as an example of what not to do in the field while conducting research. Everything is done for the camera, not to "find evidence".

The show is a useful study in levels of self-induced hysteria. The guys psyche themselves up, and then psyche themselves out. They lead witnesses during interviews to fish out quotes they want, and then feed the witness's delusions.

Last edited by Axxman300; 14th October 2017 at 04:24 PM.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 01:10 AM   #26
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Every time they hear a noise in an "abandoned" building and immediately assume its paranormal I'm like, have you people never heard of rodents? You know, those tiny, furry creatures that absolutely frickin' LOVE to live in old abandoned and even some not abandoned buildings? And will often make noises while going about their business that sound an awful lot like the noise you just heard?

Like I said, I pretty much watch it just to laugh at it.
Old 18th October 2017, 12:35 PM   #27
mgidm86
Illuminator

Oh sure. What's next--No Santa!!!

You have to admit though, for sheer entertainment value shows like this can't be beat.

Dee

Not for me, I find it disturbing and extremely frustrating because I know some people will believe it. Guys at work talk about woo nonsense, websites they've read. I hope they don't apply their non-thinking skills to any important decisions that could cost people their jobs.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 12:20 AM   #28
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why I am so addicted to these types of shows. I don't believe in an afterlife, nor am I religious, nor am I inordinately afraid of death, and I am still not entirely convinced of the existence of the thing commonly referred to as a "soul", and yet, I am always tuning in every week. Not only am I tuning in, but I'm actually rooting for our protagonists, hoping that this week, they will actually come up with something that convinces me that ghosts exist---and every week, I'm naturally disappointed again, but not enough to make me stop watching, or even stop hoping.

A few things do make me laugh, such as the orbs that positively-definitely have been "debunked" as not being dust or bugs, but have obvious fluttering wings. Another favorite is Bagans' pronunciation of the word "situation", which sounds something like "sedjuwation" the way he pronounces it.

More recently, I've been amused by Bagan's misuse of the word "pareidolia" in association with the "ghost box" device they use---apparently Bagans thinks "pareidolia"means "fakery created by stitching different words together from different radio frequencies" rather than "finding a pattern in random data due to the natural function of the human brain". He does not seem to understand that pareidolia is not an accusation of any wrongdoing. Nor does he seem to understand that the random frequency switching of the ghost box device makes pareidolia more likely, not less.

I tend to think that the show is more prone to over(re)acting and dramatization by the network than flat-out fakery. These fellas do seem to be sincere in their beliefs in the paranormal, and their "evidence" is so underwhelming that fakery isn't necessary. A little noise pollution, incompetence, and a basic misunderstanding of scientific principles seems to serve them just fine without the addition of hidden wires or sleight of hand, unlike some of the other shows.

I'm also hopelessly addicted to any show starring the Tenessee Wraith Chasers. Their Rube Goldberg ghost traps captured my heart from the very beginning.
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 10:07 PM   #29
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

That kind of show is a total waste of time and electrons!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 07:28 AM   #30
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
That kind of show is a total waste of time and electrons!!!!!!!
But good for these people's wallets!!!!!!

Also, the link in the OP's post are dead (ghostlinks!!1!!1)

JC Denton

tinribmancer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal