ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th November 2017, 02:25 PM   #321
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Zivan View Post
........where does this horrible, revolting, disgusting, unbelievably psychopathic idea of "karma" end?
When the woo pedlars start thinking.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2017, 03:10 PM   #322
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
All you people pick out the worst experience you can think of, but the spirit world teaches we live countless, suffering struggling lives, on this and other planets, and that is how the soul is refined. We go on to build better and better civilisations, and evolve to a far higher state than the current level of the human race. There will be injustice and inhumanity and tragedy, but all is ultimately redeemed and compensated over thousands of lifetimes.

The spirits say the current state of human evolution is like we are in kindergarten, but we will gradually evolve to higher levels as a family of souls.
There will be an end to the cycle of rebirths for the human race, and by that time we will be glorious beings of light. We then go on into eternity together.
At what point does the bong enter into this conglomeration of claptrap?

The bolded is a great example of the Kumbaya school of pseudo philosophical nonsense. "Today we are but children, but the spirits..." Believe whatever the hell you want, but extrapolating it to the human race as a whole isn't just silly, it's ridiculous.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2017, 03:36 PM   #323
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Zivan View Post
Where does this horrible, revolting, disgusting, unbelievably psychopathic idea of "karma" end?

Oh, that's easy. It ends when you're the fortunate and privileged one because you know that it's because you've earned it in previous lives and you've no obligation to help other people who are trapped in deprivation, disability or danger, because their lot in life.

And there, I believe, we see the origin of the idea and it's promotion.
Old 19th November 2017, 04:06 PM   #324
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

All you people pick out the worst experience you can think of, ...
No. We demonstrate where your philosophies and comments are abhorrent, contradictory, inconsistent, and otherwise flawed.

You, however, completely ignore what is pointed out, whether it is the worst experience or not, because you have no argument against our points.

That said, I am out. I have no time for someone whose thought process is so tortuous, whose philosophy is so cruel, and who has admitted without prompting that he does not give a damn about anyone.
Old 20th November 2017, 02:06 AM   #325
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Interestingly enough, Hitler believed in the power and veracity of mediums, and regularly consulted them.
Strange that the spirit world did not attempt to dissuade him from his genocidal path.

Oh, no, wait. The spirits wanted him to do this as a way of helping the world progress. Or something.

https://www.salon.com/2002/02/27/hanussen/

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
It couldn't have been Hitler's fault anyway, Scorpion has told us that "Angels of Karma" guide us to the life we need to live and

No Hitler's soul would not have known what he was going to do. That would be totally inhibiting to the soul and it would not want to incarnate.

So Hitler's soul would not have wanted to incarnate and carry out these deeds but the "Angels of Karma" made him do it. Psychopathic winged bastards that they are.
As my link above shows, the spirits did communicate with Hitler, and told him he would become Chancellor, as well as predicting the burning of the Reichstag.
So, in Scorpion's world, that soul incarnates not knowing it will become a monster, in order to expunge past transgressions of which it has no memory. The spirits encourage this soul to continue on its path, knowing what the consequences will be.
The soul of Hitler then leaves his body in April 1945, and has its memory wiped clean, thus ensuring no lesson can be learned from its time as a monster.
This really is complete bilge, isn't it?
Old 20th November 2017, 02:43 AM   #326
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
This really is complete bilge, isn't it?

Nine pages of thread, goodness knows how many rambling, contradictory, Scorpion posts and in the end it comes down these seven words.

/Thread?
Old 20th November 2017, 03:59 AM   #327
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
When the woo pedlars start thinking.
Sadly not always, what often happens is that they start adding more and more nonsense to try and explain away another hole, in the end they just make it all the more contradictory.
Old 20th November 2017, 08:29 AM   #328
barehl
Master Poster

You people keep demanding evidence for my claims that a spirit world exists. I keep telling you I can't give you objective evidence
Under knowledge theory there is a disproof of things like spirits and telepathy. I assume that when it is published people will gleefully try to tear it apart. It will have to stand on its own; I won't be able to appeal to emotion or wishful thinking.

Quote:
but if you went to a spiritualist church for long enough you might get subjective evidence for yourselves.

SO WHY DON'T YOU GO TO CHURCH? Then post your experiences here.

I suggest any of you that want to find out for yourselves if there is anything in spiritualism go to church every Sunday for at least a month. Bearing in mind that I went for two years before I had evidential messages that finally convince me that some mediums are genuine.
I was a devout Christian until I was a junior in high school. However, I didn't really begin questioning ideas like ghosts and telepathy until I was in college and began doing research. It happened again and again and again that something clearly not supernatural at all had been made to look impressive by withholding falsifying details. I was very annoyed by the dishonesty. Most of my close relatives are still Christians. I had neighbors who were Jehovah's Witnesses and visits from Mormon missionaries. My neighbor's on the other side were also devout Christians and even prayed for divine healing of my late wife.

It sounds to me like you are claiming that if you go to church and get some kind of feeling of contentment or perhaps a hunch about something that you will attribute it to a divine presence. I can get hunches and feelings of contentment without religion.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 09:51 AM   #329
kali1137
Critical Thinker

I have a feeling this will fall on deaf ears but I am going to give a shot anyway. I used to be like you in a sense. I was raised Baptist. I started asking questions when things didn't make sense and was asked not to come back. from there I tried non-denominational but the same thing happened. I floated to paganism from there as it was as close to sense as I could get at the time for me. This ultimately led me to mediums/psychics, and classes/workshops that led me to believe I had this power also. I spent a great deal of time and money in Lilydale, NY. If you are not familiar this is a town of nothing but psychics. I used to believe I was getting amazing readings from a medium there. He kept his eyes closed as he read so I knew he was not judging my reactions and I was amazed. The big mistake he made? He taped the sessions for you to take with you. At one point I sat down and listened to one, then all the tapes in order. He wasn't nearly as accurate as I remember, I fed him his info without realizing it, and none of the readings were close to the one before. Memory is a funny thing and it's funny what you can make yourself believe if you want to enough. So I already did your experiment and came out clearer on the other side.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 02:02 PM   #330
Thor 2
Illuminator

Good story kali thanks.

It's amazing what a strong driver the "wanting to believe something" can be for many. We see it on these threads all the time, where no matter how ridiculous an idea is exposed as being, the believer just clings to it tenaciously. I think you predicted correctly, Scorpion will shrug off your pearls of wisdom.
Old 21st November 2017, 05:46 AM   #331
kali1137
Critical Thinker

I am the prime example of a "lurker" on the board who was on the fence about things when I first got here. Thankfully you guys don't give up when the woo comes out. It helped me out of it. I am pretty sure that this belief is something Scorpion is desperately going to cling to no matter what. But it may help others.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 01:05 PM   #332
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Of course not all mediums are actually aware they're fake. Some manage to train themselves to perform cold readings without realising how they're doing it and sincerely believe in their own 'gift'.
Me in high school as a small scale example. Looked the part of a spooky goth and devloped quite the reputation. Actually made a bit of money and gained some female friends (lost two to be fair, after hitting on a pregnancy.).

Wasnt until I got some training at a call center for sales that I realized I was just using the same techniques.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:13 AM   #333
skbuncks
Scholar

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
But you know the standard response: If they can't use their powers when they're being observed, that's not because they were wrong or cheating, it's because the magic actively frustrates verification for some weird reason...
That's the Psychic Uncertainty Principle at work: it states that the more closely and carefully a reading is observed, the less accurate the reading is, and vice versa.
skbuncks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:43 AM   #334
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And of course in this particular case. There are laws that stop them proving they exist. Except to the special people like Scorpion who they can not only prove they exist they can give him (some of) the winning lottery numbers so he can continue an on line campaign to tell people the Koran is made up stories.
Old 22nd November 2017, 03:14 PM   #335
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And of course in this particular case. There are laws that stop them proving they exist. Except to the special people like Scorpion who they can not only prove they exist they can give him (some of) the winning lottery numbers so he can continue an on line campaign to tell people the Koran is made up stories.
But of course, any wins will be cunningly within the expected bounds of probability so as not to tip us off. Tricksy these angels.
Old 24th November 2017, 01:32 PM   #336
Thor 2
Illuminator

It would seem Scorpion has bailed out of this thread too.

I still haven't received an answer to my question:

Quote:
But, but, but, you say we need the suffering to progress. If we no longer have wars in the future, then planet Earth will have outlived it's usefulness as a place for soul development.

Scorpion?
Old 24th November 2017, 01:42 PM   #337
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
It would seem Scorpion has bailed out of this thread too.

I still haven't received an answer to my question:
Scorpion?
I have given up trying to peddle my beliefs because of too much negativity.
But I don't remember saying wars were necessary for soul development.

I may have mentions that Silver Birch said there are many planets at a higher stage of evolution that this one, and we are like children in kindergarten compared with the potential of our souls. So there may be worlds where war has been overcome, but there are still lessons to be learned from incarnation.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 02:19 PM   #338
Thor 2
Illuminator

I may have mentions that Silver Birch said there are many planets at a higher stage of evolution that this one, and we are like children in kindergarten compared with the potential of our souls. So there may be worlds where war has been overcome, but there are still lessons to be learned from incarnation.
You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion

We, the human race cause a lot of our suffering. If everyone was a pacifist there could be no wars. We are permitted to learn by trial and error.

Many thousands of years from now there probably will not be any more wars as the human race might have learned its painful lessons.

And you are on record as saying that suffering is what is needed for our spirit development. Wars provide a great place for serious suffering.

Dara also posted:

Quote:
How can that be a good thing in your belief system? You need people to suffer in their earthly incarnations so that they can progress.

You really don't have a good grasp on the actual teachings you keep telling us you have learnt.

You've stripped us of free will and made it a good and necessary thing that we suffer. Horrendous.

Can you not see the inconsistency here?
Old 24th November 2017, 02:33 PM   #339
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Negativity: noun the act of pointing out the holes in Scorpion's purely imaginary cosmology.
Old 25th November 2017, 02:41 AM   #340
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Silver Birch was a spirit supposedly chaneled by one Maurice Barbanell, who was also a co-founder of the Psychic News, a weekly spiritualist newspaper.

Now, Scorpion, you have said that there are fake mediums out there, but that the spirits will warn mediums if this is the case.

How is it, then, that this happened?
Quote:
The newspaper has been criticized for biased reporting and endorsing fraudulent mediums and psychics as genuine. Early articles by Psychic News had supported the fraudulent materialization medium Helen Duncan.

An article in Psychic News claimed that Uri Geller had utilized psychokinetic power based on an incident with a bracelet; an article in the New Scientist cast doubt on the incident and described Geller's feats as magician's tricks.
If Silver Birch is a genuine spirit, channelled by a genuine medium, how is it that two known frauds were endorsed by this publication?

I note also that Mr. Birch is not a believer in the germ theory of disease, believing instead that "most diseases are caused by an imbalance of mind, body and soul". (From the 'spiritual philosophy' site you linked to earlier.

Does this not rather undermine the credibility of Mr. Birch and his corporeal mouthpiece?
Old 25th November 2017, 03:57 AM   #341
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Too much negatively?

It's you is trying to peddle those negative beliefs. You are the one that says God has created us so that we will have to suffer terrible ills over multiple lifetimes, that our suffering in our earthly incarnations is neccessary. It's your belief that the victims of the holocaust were being taught a lesson because they'd done something bad in a previously life, it's your belief that the 2 year old living with terrible pain 24 hours a day is being taught a lesson for her ultimate good.
Old 25th November 2017, 12:53 PM   #342
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Too much negatively?

It's you is trying to peddle those negative beliefs. You are the one that says God has created us so that we will have to suffer terrible ills over multiple lifetimes, that our suffering in our earthly incarnations is neccessary. It's your belief that the victims of the holocaust were being taught a lesson because they'd done something bad in a previously life, it's your belief that the 2 year old living with terrible pain 24 hours a day is being taught a lesson for her ultimate good.
I find believers interchange negativity with quantephobia.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 01:29 PM   #343
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
I find believers interchange negativity with quantephobia.
I had no idea that word even existed. Gawd, I love English! Thanks for making me look that up, Nay Sayer!
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 02:56 PM   #344
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
I had no idea that word even existed. Gawd, I love English! Thanks for making me look that up, Nay Sayer!
I couldn't find a definition of "quantephobia" in any dictionary, although there is one answers.com page: http://www.answers.com/Q/What_phobia...sked_questions , where it is defined as "The fear of being asked questions".

"Quantephobia" or "quantophobia" might also be understood as a "fear of numbers" (because of the words "quantity" or "quantify"), or even a "fear of quantum mechanics". Perhaps a better word would be "quaesitophobia" ("quaesitum" = "question" in Latin: http://archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wordz...glish=question ).
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 03:09 PM   #345
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I couldn't find a definition of "quantephobia" in any dictionary, although there is one answers.com page: http://www.answers.com/Q/What_phobia...sked_questions , where it is defined as "The fear of being asked questions".

"Quantephobia" or "quantophobia" might also be understood as a "fear of numbers" (because of the words "quantity" or "quantify"), or even a "fear of quantum mechanics". Perhaps a better word would be "quaesitophobia" ("quaesitum" = "question" in Latin: http://archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wordz...glish=question ).
Respectively, I get 99 and 252 results. Do you not understand how long it takes a new coinage to arrive in dictionaries?
Old 25th November 2017, 03:46 PM   #346
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Dang, I was projecting the definitions to you directly, I gotta upgrade my brainwaves and focus harder next time.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 04:26 PM   #347
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Dang, I was projecting the definitions to you directly, I gotta upgrade my brainwaves and focus harder next time.
Well, according to the spiritual handbook, certain cough and cold medicines will block the ESP transmissions, so that's probably what happened.

All perfectly explainable.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 06:02 PM   #348
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Respectively, I get 99 and 252 results. Do you not understand how long it takes a new coinage to arrive in dictionaries?
That's approximately what I get too. However, there are some recent "coinages" that are not too great (done by poor pupils in school for example), and which never make it to any dictionary. And I vaguely suspect that "quantephobia", defined as "The fear of being asked questions", will be one of those.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal