ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:20 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Drug that makes a straight guy gay

I read this years ago in some magazine. In France, there was a drug used to treat certain emotional problems similar to but it wasn't Prozac.

Several of its users said that they started having an attraction for their same sex. All of the people complaining were men.

Is this a true story or an urban legend?
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:31 AM   #2
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I read this years ago in some magazine. In France, there was a drug used to treat certain emotional problems similar to but it wasn't Prozac.

Several of its users said that they started having an attraction for their same sex. All of the people complaining were men.

Is this a true story or an urban legend?
Reminds me of this story

http://www.radiolab.org/story/317627-fault-line/
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:37 AM   #3
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Huh. And I thought it was tequila.
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:47 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

It's the job of Chemtrails to turn straight men gay.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Fabulous!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Jungle Jim
Muse

Cainkane1 you've come up with some crazy threads before, but this might be your best yet.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:30 AM   #7
Apathia
Illuminator

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...n_2212348.html

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:30 PM   #8
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I think the name of the drugs was Prisintime.

By Coumere/Honey Pharmaceuticals.

Last edited by casebro; 22nd November 2017 at 12:32 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:16 PM   #9
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Eh, disinhibition and impaired judgement are known side effects of some medications, although usually the responses are milder. If it was the result of the drug, then it sounds like the guy was on the extreme end of the reaction spectrum, and a closet queen.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:31 PM   #10
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:35 PM   #11
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Although certain drugs (such as androgens) can alter libido I don't think they change the gender to whom one is attracted.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 04:46 PM   #12
mgidm86
Illuminator

It's the same drug that cures gay people. If straight people take it...well duh!
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 05:06 PM   #13
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's the job of Chemtrails to turn straight men gay.
I guess you were trying to be funny, but it didn't work. Not even close.
Old 23rd November 2017, 06:00 PM   #14
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post

Nothing in the article says that he'd been a heterosexual before the drug. I doubt he was (or, at least, I doubt he tended towards heterosexuality even if he didn't act on his homosexual feelings).

In any case, this commercial for Homocil seems appropriate.

L. Leader

Last edited by Loss Leader; 23rd November 2017 at 06:10 PM.
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 06:15 PM   #15
jonesdave116
Graduate Poster

One of my scientific heroes is Alan Turing. Who was gay. I'm not, but that doesn't make him any less of a hero to me. What happened to him (i.e chemical castration) was a travesty, and led to his suicide.
Yes, certain drugs can reduce one's libido (such as Prozac, Fluoxetine), but I've never heard of anything that could turn a 'straight man gay'. Or vice versa. You are what you are.
Old 27th November 2017, 06:48 AM   #16
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
One of my scientific heroes is Alan Turing. Who was gay. I'm not, but that doesn't make him any less of a hero to me. What happened to him (i.e chemical castration) was a travesty, and led to his suicide.
Yes, certain drugs can reduce one's libido (such as Prozac, Fluoxetine), but I've never heard of anything that could turn a 'straight man gay'. Or vice versa. You are what you are.
There could be effects like a heteroflexible or bi guy in a monogamous heterosexual relationship starts acting on the low level same sex attraction he always felt. This would be functionally the same as turning a straight guy gay to most people as for example people deciding that these guys are closeted homosexuals when there is no evidence they were not still interested in the opposite sex as well as the same one. Though it is nice to see Luchog promoting bi invisibility as well.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 09:42 AM   #17
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
Cainkane1 you've come up with some crazy threads before, but this might be your best yet.
You just keep coming back though, don't you?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology