ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dowsing

Old 28th November 2017, 10:51 PM   #41
Rougarou
Thinker

It has been about a week since the story I posted above happened, and I have not seen that almost everyday customer since. I wonder if I inadvertently offended a believer in dowsing. That would be a shame since I got along very well with the guy.
Rougarou is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 09:08 AM   #42
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Confirmation bias could well be the whole explanation of perceived accuracy rates higher than chance, but I think it's possible some of them may essentially be letting their unconscious mind make its best guess, based on past experience and all the data entering their senses (which will be much more than is being brought to the attention of their conscious awareness). That might give a hit rate which is genuinely better than chance.

There was a recent episode of NCIS in which a woman started hearing voices and having visions that contained accurate information about a pair of murders. The cast had various opinions about her "psychic" abilities (all but one of them were skeptical, thankfully). The forensic psychologist who recently joined the cast focused on the brain's ability to process information on a subconscious level, suspecting that the woman had witnessed something connected to the crimes without realizing it.

It turned out that
the woman was the murderer. She suffered a psychotic break after the death of her child, murdered the two people she blamed for it, and then forgot that she did it. The voices and visions were her memories coming back.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:42 AM   #43
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
I've seen a guy dowse for an underground power cable and he was right on the money. Don't know what that means in the big picture, but I'm inclined to think that there may be something to it and don't reject it out of hand.
I watched a guy locate a water main that way.
He looked up the street at a fire hydrant, down the street to the next fire hydrant, then walked with his rods out until he was in line with the fire hydrants and told us that he had found the water main.

Yeah right.
fishbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:12 AM   #44
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
I watched a guy locate a water main that way.
He looked up the street at a fire hydrant, down the street to the next fire hydrant, then walked with his rods out until he was in line with the fire hydrants and told us that he had found the water main.

Yeah right.

Under most circumstances as described, if he was perfectly in line with those fire hydrants he would actually be about four feet or so ... minimum ... to one side of the water main, since fire hydrants are generally offset at least that far from the main they are connected to. It could easily be farther, but it almost certainly would not be over the main.

Not all that accurate even with the clues he used.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal