ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:04 AM   #41
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

It's December, so the new Hopper is Night Windows 1928.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...AP8Q_B0IzAEwDQ

The colors on the link look garish and wrong compared to our calendar.

This has almost the same progression from cool greens to hot reds from left to right, bottom to top.

Again, the woman's backside looks (deliberately?) ungainly, and the most erotic thing is the view itself, or the bit of curtain protruding out the window. The rear is just a slab, but the curtain has detail, motion, nuance.

The colors look good on our calendar version.

Sometimes Hopper has his strong line elements converging on a figure. Here they seem to point mainly at the dark column between the windows on the left, and then -- because of the basic shape of the building -- there are more diagonals from center top down. The light from the ceiling coming out of the windows causes this two-way effect.

And I have to keep telling myself that the curtain isn't being blown by the woman's extremely powerful flatulence.

A surprising amount of the picture is given to mysterious dark foreground building. I guess this makes the lighted room look brighter.

Another way that the woman looks ugly is the ? colors that make up the slabs of couch, radiator, door frame -- sort of orange-red-beige, vs. the sort of neon-illuminated red at the far right.

It's as if he's constantly pointing out the mystery of the scenery or the drapery, and demystifying the woman's body.

For your filing needs -- a woman. For ecstasy, drapery blowing in the wind.

(I'm aware of previous remarks in this thread by DevilsAdvocate, who I find persuasive.)

( Sung to the tune of the old Time jingle: "Time flies, and you are there!" )
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:11 PM   #42
Rougarou
Thinker

The lines seem to converge on the point her head would be if we could see it. I wonder if the "erotic thing" is what her head might be doing at the point where those lines converge.

And the curtain is indeed blowing in the wind. I wonder if the word had the alternate meaning then that it does today.

Last edited by Rougarou; 3rd December 2017 at 12:16 PM.
Rougarou is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:15 PM   #43
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

Yeah, I didn't see that there is a convergance where her head would be! There are several sets of lines that converge. There are other Hoppers where it seems that the lines lead to a figure.

( Sung to the tune of the old Time jingle: "Time flies, and you are there!" )
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:21 PM   #44
Rougarou
Thinker

And not only is the curtain blowing, it's in the shape of a woman bent over wearing a night gown. Did you see the edit in my previous post?

Edit again: So in case I'm not clear, the curtain is in the shape of a woman bent over in a night gown and blowing.

Last edited by Rougarou; 3rd December 2017 at 12:24 PM.
Rougarou is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts