ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th December 2017, 03:12 PM   #201
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
For reasons I cannot fathom, simple agriculture is beyond KotA.
His greatest "gem" was claiming rain forests were created through human ploughing.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 03:15 PM   #202
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
But you have to admit, his childlike wonder at literally anything he sees on Google Earth is adorable.
Do I have to admit that? Anyone can diddle about with Google Earth and find whatever is the pareidolia du jour. Millennium Falcon under the Baltic ring any bells?
Old 4th December 2017, 03:40 PM   #203
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Unsurprisingly, he missed Australia, where iron oxide in the soil gives Australia its red tinge and allows us to be the largest iron exporter.
He included Australia. But obviously you're wrong about where the color comes from. It's from the tsunami, because... that causes... um. Look, red dirt is from a volcano in the Philippines, okay? Don't question it.

Actually you can't question it because he's not here right now and he turned off comments on his blog after I pointed out a typo. He fixed the top though.

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Do I have to admit that? Anyone can diddle about with Google Earth and find whatever is the pareidolia du jour. Millennium Falcon under the Baltic ring any bells?
Right, sure, but the naive glee he gets from it is cute. A typical person is just "hey. Trees." But he's all "My goodness! TREES!!!!" and I think that's sweet.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 03:49 PM   #204
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

If he means it.
But the way he refuses to support a claim in one post, and claims he already supported it in the next, and then moves to the next wild claim when questioned makes me wonder if there's anything serious about his posts.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 05:14 PM   #205
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
If he means it.
But the way he refuses to support a claim in one post, and claims he already supported it in the next, and then moves to the next wild claim when questioned makes me wonder if there's anything serious about his posts.
Well he was serious about trolling. In the early part he tried to pretend to be an expert in stone carving but he got crushed by facts. He soon found that he was the butt of all the jokes for trying to troll-using-existing-sites-and-knowledge - solution create incredibly stupid stuff for claims and use that to badger, lie and denigrate - which was his actual goal. Even that blew up in his face.

I hate to say it but he is just to inept, uneducated and heavy handed to be an effective troll. His writing do have an unintended comedic effect however.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 05:15 PM   #206
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
But you have to admit, his childlike wonder at literally anything he sees on Google Earth is adorable.
The Martians brought that with them when they invaded and wiped out Lemuria, Mu and Atlantis.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 06:48 PM   #207
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
You are being insincerely and intellectually dishonest.

My posting here has been a shotgun blast of ALL of the interesting commonalities I have found from around the world. As I have found more evidence and honed my thesis, the ones I actually use have been narrowed.

Your conflations and misinterpretations are petty at best, or an attempt to mislead at worst. STOP, please, this is beneath the dignity of human intercourse.

And I am not just talking to you but

Reality Check

MikeG

John Jones

and

Porpoise of Life

ALL of you have repeatedly mischaracterized and convoluted my posts. I vehemently encourage everyone following this thread to ignore statements made about me, and focus on any errors I have made in the presentation of my evidence, and point to any inconsistencies so that I might address them.

Please...for the love of intelligent discourse, reduce your level of hostility and dishonesty...
Your posts stand and fall on their own. The real problem is that you can't support your *wildly imaginary* claims.
Old 4th December 2017, 06:54 PM   #208
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I think we need to also think about the Competing Ancients. Who was it who spread terrace farming so far and wide. Clearly not the Atlanteans, as they are a "semi-circles and rectangles" sort of civilization. Yet we have evidence of 2000 to 4000 year old terrace farms, co-existing with semi-circles and rectangles farmers. How could that be? It's almost like man figured out how to best work whatever patches of land he had to work with. If it's a large flat plain, rectangles. If it's a verdant but steep slope, terrace farms. If it's a river delta, weirdly shaped squiggly parallelograms, trapezoids and shapes that have no name.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 05:41 AM   #209
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I think we need to also think about the Competing Ancients. Who was it who spread terrace farming so far and wide.
Oh, that was Lemuria.

Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 02:23 PM   #210
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
How do you feel about the term "grid gardens"...?
You have already defined that term in another thread as the raised gardens often with rectangular ("grid") patterns of mounds on them that were built by pre-Columbian farmers in Amazonia.

In the "Michael Shermer vs. "alternative history" Hancock and Crandall" thread you start with that Chilean trees were planted in grids (but deny that they were planted as documenting starting in the 1960's with a fantasy of pre-Columbian planting maybe earlier). You then cite a paper on pre-Columbian vegetable gardens in Amazonia and come up with "grid gardens". Proof I was right cites the paper and followed by a "These grid-gardens are Pre-Columbian." post. The paper is Pre-Columbian agricultural landscapes, ecosystem engineers, and self-organized patchiness in Amazonia (PDF)

Afterward we get what is seen in this thread - irrelevant, unsourced Google Earth images that do not have any raised vegetable gardens with girds of mounds. Modern agricultural fields. Modern tree orchards.
Reality Check is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 03:10 PM   #211
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Cite, please?
That is a fairly accurate but incomplete statement by KOTA.
He did found (but still denies !) that Chile has a program that started in the 1960s where deserts are replanted in tree species that used to be there. There are northern plantations around Negreiros with ~7.5 million trees. The southern Pampa del Tamarugal National Reserve has 5 or 6 times the number of trees for a total of less than 50 million trees planted over a period of over 50 years. From Wikipedia: in 2010, Weyerhaeuser reported planting 50 million seedlings.[4]
  1. prosopis tamarugo: fodder tree for arid zones (1980) FAO Regional Office for Latin America, Santiago, Chile.
  2. The influence of the productivity of Prosopis tamarugo on livestock production in the Pampa del Tamarugal — a reviewSilvopastoral systems in arid and semiarid zones of northern Chile
  3. James A. Duke. 1983. Handbook of Energy Crops. unpublished
  4. Pampa del Tamarugal National Reserve has "The major highlights are the artificially planted forests of the genus Prosopis (primarily Prosopis tamarugo), found in the middle of a rainless desert...".
  5. Link to Google books mentioning Oficina Dolores.
    Quote:
    South of Zapiga, the Panamericana runs across a flatter plateau at about 1000m above sea level, entering the first part of the Reserva Nacional Pampa del Tamarugal from Km1883 to Km1865(...). The reserve is named after the tamarugo tree which once blanketed this area but was almost entirely cleared for fuel during the nitrates boom. In this arid area the regrowth has been not natural, but as a result of planting and irrigation by Conaf in 1968-72. From Km1881 the site of the oficina Dolores is 2km to the west. This was where the nitrates industry began, in 1810...
Since KOTA is so obsessed with Google Earth, let us use a Google Earth feature.
Quote:
Go to the northern plantations around Negreiros at ( 1953'15.64"S 6952'54.89"W).
Zoom into the area until there is a "2005" icon on the lower left - the is historical Google Earth imagery. Click and you get a slider for the image dates.
Zoom out a bit until the slider shoes dates from 1984 onward.

You can now see the trees being planted from nothing to what is there today !

There only tiny change for the southern Pampa del Tamarugal National Reserve (2028'11.57"S, 6940'23.06"W). A few new plantings to the south between 1984 and 2017.

Last edited by Reality Check; 5th December 2017 at 04:41 PM.
Reality Check is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal