ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th November 2017, 08:01 PM   #1
Samson
Philosopher

The grasshopper conundrum

A seemingly simple mathematical question has complex possibilities. I have nothing really to add, but the animation of the computer solving the problem is remarkable.

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-lawn-grasshoppers.html
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 08:19 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

1. Why would I want grasshoppers on my lawn?
2. Do they know the buggers have wings?
Old 25th November 2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Now I have a headache. Why would it ever be anything other than a disk?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 11:09 PM   #4
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Now I have a headache. Why would it ever be anything other than a disk?
The first pattern, with short jumps, does have a disc, it's just it's surrounded by a wavy pattern that makes it look more like a doily. I can kind of see why that would be more forgiving than a perfect disc.

The stripes for long-haul grasshoppers seemed more mysterious to me.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 11:14 PM   #5
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

I feel like I'm missing information. Is this the probabilistic form for just one single jump? Is it for multiple jumps? Can the grasshopper choose to jump less than the maximum distance?

Every time I run my simulation, I get a donut. Of course, I'm running the simulation in a Krispy Kream so that might be at least part of the problem.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2017, 11:25 PM   #6
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The stripes for long-haul grasshoppers seemed more mysterious to me.
I think the idea is if your lawn area is "small" and the jump distance is "large", then a disc shape is inefficient because any jump larger than the diameter guarantees that the grasshopper lands off the lawn.

But if the spaces are discontinuous, then for the lucky grasshoppers that are pointed in the right direction, they can hop from one stripe to the next.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 09:28 AM   #7
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I feel like I'm missing information. Is this the probabilistic form for just one single jump? Is it for multiple jumps? Can the grasshopper choose to jump less than the maximum distance?

Every time I run my simulation, I get a donut. Of course, I'm running the simulation in a Krispy Kream so that might be at least part of the problem.
Yes, but it works for the Maximum Blood Sugar Conundrum.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2017, 09:48 AM   #8
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

The simulation progresses from what appears a uniform distribution to the resulting shape by many, many, many jump iterations. Based on the article "If it then jumps a certain distance", not 'average distance' or 'maximum distance', the jump distance appears fixed.

Quote:
That might make you more jumpy that the grasshoppers. What then is the optimal shape of the Krispy Kream to keep you inside?
Old 26th November 2017, 11:47 AM   #9
Samson
Philosopher

I see it as the area is a constant.
The distance each individual grasshopper jumps is a constant.
Ther should be no minimum area for any hopper to land, eg backwards and forwards on a minimal width straight strip.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 08:18 AM   #10
fuelair
Suspended

Isn't that Krispy Kreme? If not there may be a trademark problem....... For some reason I am thinking Millenially....
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 08:20 AM   #11
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
The simulation progresses from what appears a uniform distribution to the resulting shape by many, many, many jump iterations. Based on the article "If it then jumps a certain distance", not 'average distance' or 'maximum distance', the jump distance appears fixed.

That might make you more jumpy that the grasshoppers. What then is the optimal shape of the Krispy Kream to keep you inside?
Krispy Kreme. THE dessert of my childhood!!!! And later!!

Last edited by fuelair; 27th November 2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: dessert not desert!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 10:49 AM   #12
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

This might be like the Traveling Salesman problem in that it is theoretically solvable but not solvable in pratice. Perhaps the comment "... the shapes bear a resemblance to shapes seen in nature, including the contours of flowers, the patterns in seashells and the stripes on some animals" hints at Phi which may impose some constraints on the approach/solution to the problem. (You might easily guess my math is not up to these things that I still find amusing to play around with.)
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 09:10 AM   #13
Cheetah
Critical Thinker

Follow-up article.

Grasshopper problem yields insight into quantum theory.

also

Quote:
And finally, the researchers suggest that it may be interesting to look into the origins of the lawn shapes themselves, as some of the lawn patterns resemble patterns that repeatedly emerge in nature, such as in flowers, seashells, and animal stripes. In accordance with the theory of morphogenesis proposed by Alan Turing, these patterns may arise as optimal solutions for chemical reasons, which may help explain the diverse and complex shapes of the lawns that appear in the grasshopper problem.

Last edited by Cheetah; 4th December 2017 at 09:13 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 09:21 AM   #14
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Does chirality enter this picture at all? Example: mint & caraway have markedly different taste but their molecules are chemically exactly alike except they are mirror images of one another. Likewise, orange & lemon (say the bells of St. Clements*).

*Had to toss that in just for fun; the two are indeed mirror molecules.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 11:59 AM   #15
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

A couple of observations:

Since (for a random set of hops) the angular orientation of the pattern must be arbitrary (which is one reason for intuitively expecting a disc), the derived patterns must somehow be dependent on the initial conditions of the simulation. That this is not addressed seems very odd.

Even more peculiar, "Often, but not always, these optimal shapes possess some type of symmetry."
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 04:31 PM   #16
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by WhatRoughBeast View Post
A couple of observations:

Since (for a random set of hops) the angular orientation of the pattern must be arbitrary (which is one reason for intuitively expecting a disc), the derived patterns must somehow be dependent on the initial conditions of the simulation. That this is not addressed seems very odd.

Even more peculiar, "Often, but not always, these optimal shapes possess some type of symmetry."

From the video the initial conditions appear to be a fairly even distribution over the entire viewing space. As such, I would expect a reflective or rebounding boundary condition at the edges of the viewing space.

Last edited by The Man; 5th December 2017 at 04:34 PM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology