ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "Bigfoot Files" , bigfoot , Brian Sykes , yeti

Old 6th December 2017, 01:29 PM   #921
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Sure but let's take it over to the follies thread as not to hijack this topic.
Agreed.

Chesley B. Sullenberger III
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2018, 06:25 AM   #922
Drewbot
Philosopher

Article in Scientific American, stating that Bigfoot & Loch Ness Monster curiosity, creates money for ACTUAL science.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ctual-science/

References to Sykes Hybrid Bear DNA Science, and an upcoming study where they are taking water from Loch Ness and inventorying all the of the DNA.

(This is similar to what I have told Bigfooters to do to prove Bigfoot is real, sample a salmon river and look for unknown primate DNA in the water)
https://e360.yale.edu/features/edna-...forest-service

All of the Bigfootry can give themselves a Pattycake, and use this to rationalize their continued search...

Last edited by Drewbot; 4th May 2018 at 06:26 AM.
Drewbot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2018, 06:50 AM   #923
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Scientific American
In 2013, a geneticist at Oxford University, Bryan Sykes, also leveraged the yeti frenzy for genetics studies of bears to find the DNA of an animal related to Paleolithic polar bears.
Oops, the author apparently doesn't know that Sykes was wrong about finding an ancient bear. She must be unaware that peer review revealed that Sykes had screwed up and did not analyze the DNA of a "special bear".
Old 4th May 2018, 06:57 AM   #924
BayWatcher
Scholar

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Article in Scientific American, stating that Bigfoot & Loch Ness Monster curiosity, creates money for ACTUAL science.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ctual-science/

References to Sykes Hybrid Bear DNA Science, and an upcoming study where they are taking water from Loch Ness and inventorying all the of the DNA.

(This is similar to what I have told Bigfooters to do to prove Bigfoot is real, sample a salmon river and look for unknown primate DNA in the water)
https://e360.yale.edu/features/edna-...forest-service

All of the Bigfootry can give themselves a Pattycake, and use this to rationalize their continued search...

Now we'll probably find out that bigfeets get all of their water requirements from the atmosphere. They avoid rivers, streams & all bodies of water.
BayWatcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2018, 07:03 AM   #925
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Cryptozoology thrives on special pleading. All it will take is for one species to not show up in the DNA sweep but is known to inhabit Loch Ness. Then they would say, "Ahh, so Nessie could be there but we just don't get her DNA."
Old 4th May 2018, 07:28 AM   #926
BayWatcher
Scholar

I wonder if Nessie's missing an earring.
BayWatcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2018, 07:37 AM   #927
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Cryptozoology thrives on special pleading. All it will take is for one species to not show up in the DNA sweep but is known to inhabit Loch Ness. Then they would say, "Ahh, so Nessie could be there but we just don't get her DNA."
An ancient reptile scientist could easily come up with a reason. The high ph levels in the loch, deteriorate DNA quickly, especially primitive DNA from ancient reptiles.
Drewbot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2018, 12:40 AM   #928
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
An ancient reptile scientist could easily come up with a reason. The high ph levels in the loch, deteriorate DNA quickly, especially primitive DNA from ancient reptiles.
Who cares how old the reptile scientist is?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2018, 10:53 PM   #929
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BayWatcher View Post
I wonder if Nessie's missing an earring.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal