ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 6th December 2017, 04:04 PM   #921
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Quote:
Mr. X, posted a couple of pictures on his private Facebook page showing what appeared to be a human femur
Mr X didn't go to the police after finding a large human bone in the woods. Silly Parcher. The Dude already knows it isn't human.
Old 6th December 2017, 04:16 PM   #922
carlitos
"más divertido"

When Iceman hears these stories, he's all like:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 04:32 PM   #923
captain koolaid
Muse

Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
...Am I done barking up this tree? Don't know. We will see. Mr. X has taken down the Facebook posts, but I might still pursue it later...

Is it safe to assume the private facebook page was a footer one? This wasn't some random guy, or person you know who had no connection to footery, was it? The "bones" are gone. The FB posts are gone. Mr. Y is gone. All that's left are some teaser photos. Even if Mr. X actually had these nebulous bones to begin with, I think this dance is over.
"Bigfoot does not leave hair samples for us unless he is in our dimension to begin with, obviously. Once the hair is separated from the electrical field associated with the Bigfoot's free quanta energy loops, the hair becomes independant and remains in it's most stable dimension, which presumably is our dimension."(Historian)
captain koolaid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:01 PM   #924
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Bigfeet people are the most litigious people, I think.
It's true. Or they're the most litigious talk people. If you asked one to find you an attorney he'd probably say "what's a torney?". Rocket scientist Munns got banned from here for threatening litigation. Yet you know he/they've no idea how a lawsuit works. Or how worthless those NDAs they all cling to so righteously really are. They would be even less effective (if that's possible) if there were real Bigfoot there. NL's check list - Map? Check. Flashlight? Check. Water? Check. NDA? Check. Like it's one of the ten essentials.

"Hey Bobo the water's pretty deep out here, I could drown, throw me that NDA."
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:30 PM   #925
captain koolaid
Muse

... The back story is entirely hearsay, so I have no way of knowing the validity of it in any part...

Such a shame, really. Mr. X's story held some potential. What a lack of imagination on his part. This could have been turned into some truly worthwhile shenanigans. Instead, it came out of the blocks strong and fizzled. A squandered opportunity to spin some epic ********. I doubt he had the "bones" from the outset. Even without them, a bit of tweaking could have gone a long way. Something along the lines of... "They were found in what Bigfoot researchers believe was a known death zone". See? It's already got legs and I only gave it a minute's thought. Lame attempt by Mr. X, I must say.
"Bigfoot does not leave hair samples for us unless he is in our dimension to begin with, obviously. Once the hair is separated from the electrical field associated with the Bigfoot's free quanta energy loops, the hair becomes independant and remains in it's most stable dimension, which presumably is our dimension."(Historian)

Last edited by captain koolaid; 6th December 2017 at 05:37 PM.
captain koolaid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 06:41 PM   #926
dmaker
Graduate Poster

A few of months ago, a guy I know, let's call him Mr. X, posted a couple of pictures on his private Facebook page showing what appeared to be a human femur measuring 23 1/4 inches long. He said he found it along with several very large teeth in a bog in the upper Midwest.

I engaged him asking questions and was told he sent the bone and teeth to a person he knew, let's call him Mr. Y, who does DNA analysis at a large Midwest University.

I asked another friend who is a doctor regarding the size of the femur and he said that would equal someone a little over 7'7" tall.

So, this is where I thought there might be a faint heartbeat detected in my hopes for science to acknowledge the existence of Sasquatch. A major university in possession of samples where DNA could be extracted and examined, how cool.

Upon further inquiry, I was told that Mr. Y won't return Mr. X's email or take his phone calls. I found this to be puzzling, but figured there was a rationale explanation, just didn't know what it was. I have friends who work at the same University and was hoping to find Mr. Y through them and ask him about the samples directly, but they don't know him.

Prior to all of this, Mr. X and Mr. Y were on good terms, and Mr. X considered Mr. Y a friend. Mr. Y even visited Mr. X and spent time with him out in the field.

Statement of Acknowledgment

I fully acknowledge, as Resume noted, this was an extreme long-shot. The back story is entirely hearsay, so I have no way of knowing the validity of it in any part. The only aspect of this that I can state as fact is there are pictures of the samples, but even those have issues. Mr. X did not photograph the bone along side a measuring tape, so his claim of 23 1/4 inches is difficult to substantiate. One photo was taken next to a standard 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper, so using that, it does appear close to his declared measurement. Even though it may not be exact, it is still a very large bone.

Conclusion
Was I hoping this would be the real deal? Absolutely. And yes, I do have copies of the pictures of the bone, but have not been given permission to share, so I won't be posting them, sorry.

Do I think there is a conspiracy, men in black, type situation going on here? No, I don't. If what Mr. X told me is accurate (and there's no way of conclusively knowing), there were plenty of things he screwed up, so no need to impose something sinister where it doesn't exist.

Am I done barking up this tree? Don't know. We will see. Mr. X has taken down the Facebook posts, but I might still pursue it later. After my dad passed away last year, I decided to take up running and am currently in training hoping to run a marathon by next September, so squatching is taking a backseat to that now. Like I said, we will see.

I'm sure this will spawn lots of questions and will do my best to answer them. Hope everyone has a great upcoming holiday. Cheers.
NL
NL, when are you going to realize that none of these things are ever going to pan out? There is no bigfoot. Don't you get tired of being Charlie Brown to reality's Lucy?
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:41 AM   #927
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Most likely the photo(s) are not being shown because they will instantly be debunked when non-footers get a look.

The proof of the size of the bone is supposedly a piece of paper next to the bone in the photo, rather than a ruler or tape measure. But we have no verification of the size of the piece of paper? The piece of paper might not be a standard size piece of paper, it may be cut down to fool the eye.

We supposedly have a person who found human remains and did not report them to the police.

He then apparently sent the human remains to another person, who also hasn't reported the remains to the police.

And we apparently have a university, which also did not report the human remains to the police.

If the picture with the piece of paper for reference was taken "in-situ", why was this person carrying 8.5" X 11" paper while hiking through a boggy wooded area, rather than carrying a small notebook?

If the picture with the piece of paper for reference was taken after the bone had been collected, then there was no good reason not to use a proper size reference in the photo.

Mr. X has a measuring device, because he gives a precise figure for the bone length, yet Mr. X provides no evidence of this precise length in the photo(s).

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:29 AM   #928
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Northern Lights
He said he found it along with several very large teeth in a bog in the upper Midwest.
Are there photos of the teeth? It's generally easy to identify an animal based on even a single tooth. That's Zoology 101. The teeth are described as very large so they aren't human and of course it isn't Bigfoot because that's a mythical animal. Most likely these are the remains of deer or moose or bear. Possibly horse or cow. We don't know if X Guy is honest and so they may not have come from a bog.

My strong suspicion is that this is a Bigfoot hoax, especially because all the evidence is now gone forever and he won't freely show the pictures. That's all classic behavior for Bigfoot hoaxing along with not calling the police.

Mr X can now claim for the rest of his life that he had a Bigfoot femur and teeth but they were stolen by people who wish to destroy exploration, discovery and the advancement of knowledge. Damn those people all the way to hell.
Old 7th December 2017, 06:29 AM   #929
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

It's not like bigfootery is rife with sketchy stories/anecdotes, and phake photos of giant bones/skeletons. Or anything.

Mebbe the Smiffsonian spirited the femur to its seekrit archives.*

Or

Last night a big yellow taxi came and took my footie femur away
Doan it always seem to go, you doan know what you got 'til it's gone . . .

* I understand NL claims no gummit conspiracy.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 7th December 2017 at 06:41 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:44 AM   #930
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
My strong suspicion is that this is a Bigfoot hoax . . .
You don't say . . .

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:59 AM   #931
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.dappercadaver.com/products/prop-femur

Buy 2 and make a 24" long prop bigfoot femur.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:35 AM   #932
Drewbot
Philosopher

Where was the femur found?
Drewbot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:35 AM   #933
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Where was the femur found?
Sasquatia County...

Old 7th December 2017, 07:52 PM   #934
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Yet again, bigfootery has led me to a new and deeper rabbit hole.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 11:44 AM   #935
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
https://www.dappercadaver.com/products/prop-femur

Buy 2 and make a 24" long prop bigfoot femur.
That's right up Snake Meldrum's alley since a genuine Mid-Femur Break® appears right out of nowhere when you do that. You know, for better locomotion.™ Somebody really outta trademark that before Dandy Don gets wind of it cause once Big Sasquatch gets a hold of something they never let it go.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 05:44 PM   #936
Pacal
Muse

Upon further inquiry, I was told that Mr. Y won't return Mr. X's email or take his phone calls.
You heard this from Mr. X I take it? how convienent for Mr. X.

Quote:
I found this to be puzzling, but figured there was a rationale explanation, just didn't know what it was. I have friends who work at the same University and was hoping to find Mr. Y through them and ask him about the samples directly, but they don't know him.
I take it Mr. X did not give you Mr. Y's name otherwise you would have simply got in touch with him yourself. It appears that your friends were utterly unable to find him either. So does Mr. Y even exist?

Quote:
Prior to all of this, Mr. X and Mr. Y were on good terms, and Mr. X considered Mr. Y a friend. Mr. Y even visited Mr. X and spent time with him out in the field.
And you know this how? Is this what Mr. X told you? Since it appears that you don't even have a name and the story Mr. X is telling you is highly convenient; it is possible Mr. Y is just a story.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 02:05 AM   #937
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by captain koolaid View Post
Such a shame, really. Mr. X's story held some potential. What a lack of imagination on his part. This could have been turned into some truly worthwhile shenanigans. Instead, it came out of the blocks strong and fizzled. A squandered opportunity to spin some epic ********. I doubt he had the "bones" from the outset. Even without them, a bit of tweaking could have gone a long way. Something along the lines of... "They were found in what Bigfoot researchers believe was a known death zone". See? It's already got legs and I only gave it a minute's thought. Lame attempt by Mr. X, I must say.
If I may, I suggest this should be called a 'femur death camp'.

Broader marketing appeal that way.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal