ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th November 2017, 03:20 PM   #41
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
How does being conscious explain traveling velocity?
I think therefore I scram.
Old 1st December 2017, 03:05 PM   #42
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Ironclad logic.
Iron... Are you a proponent of the Electric Uinverse and Iron Sun theory?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 12:41 AM   #43
Clive
Critical Thinker

1. A short story:

The Sun and the Wind had an argument as to who was stronger. They kept arguing with each other and couldn’t make a decision.

Meanwhile, a traveller was passing by. On seeing him, the Wind said, “The one who is able to make the traveller remove his coat is the winner.” The Wind decided to try first, and huffed and puffed and blew as hard as it could, but the traveller just drew his coat tightly around him and kept walking on. Finally, the Wind gave up and it was the turn of the Sun to show its might. The sun shone brightly. Gradually, it grew hotter and hotter and the heat was so unbearable that the traveller finally removed his coat.

The Sun proved his strength and was delighted at winning the argument.

(Source: http://shortstoriesshort.com/story/t...-and-the-wind/)

2. Everything on the Internet is true, and the source of the above story is the Internet.

3. Behaviour and obvious intelligence as exhibited by the sun in the above true story suggest consciousness.

4. I conclude the sun is in fact conscious.
Clive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 02:04 AM   #44
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker

If we are talking about The Sun - as in the steller body - then no, it is not conscious. It simply acts under basic physical principles, going mindlessly through the same predictable routines every day without any thought, awareness or consciousness.

If we are talking about The Sun - as in the British tabloid newspaper, then....

... actually... same answer

Last edited by Roofgardener; 2nd December 2017 at 02:05 AM.
Roofgardener is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 02:55 AM   #45
Dabop
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Years ago I read a science fiction story about intelligent beings that had evolved within the Sun, totally unaware of the surrounding solar system.
Pretty decent story, as I recall...

There does seem to be a pervasive belief among the New Age Woo types in some sort of vague “universal consciousness”.
One of my favourites with this theme is The_World_at_the_End_of_Time
Old 7th December 2017, 05:23 PM   #46
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Maybe Sundiver by David Brin.
One of the greatest preludes to a fantastic trilogy I ever read. But no. The story was to lead in an entirely different direction.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 07:48 AM   #47
albie
Scholar

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Just asking questions on behalf of the David Icke forum, Albie? I've looked through your post history, and that is the obvious suspicion.
nope.

http://www.online-literature.com/for...-sun-conscious

Would it matter if I were?
albie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 11:44 AM   #48
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by albie View Post
It gives some context for vacuous questions, yes. One would also take into account poster behaviour when judging the worth of responding. I mean, what is the point of engaging with someone who posts a provocative (or stupid) thread and then buggers off, returning weeks later?

Oh, and Rubert "I can talk to dogs" Sheldrake is a woo-meister of the highest order. Don't expect to have anything he says taken seriously around here.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 11th December 2017 at 11:46 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology