ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 7th December 2017, 12:17 PM   #1041
TheSupermeerkat
Thinker

Speaking of distractions, Al Franken has resigned. The orange menace will be crowing about this for the foreseeable future.
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:38 PM   #1042
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Speaking of distractions, Al Franken has resigned. The orange menace will be crowing about this for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, Fox is already slobbering over this.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:03 PM   #1043
crescent
Graduate Poster

Here's a nice reference to bookmark.

The 19 Women Who Accused President Trump of Sexual Misconduct

Seems relevant, in light of current progress in dealing with these issues.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:36 PM   #1044
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

Conservatives generally just don't care, though. Their political affiliation functions like a cult more than anything, it seems.
Old 7th December 2017, 02:37 PM   #1045
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Nice and succinct. Includes 2 or 3 I didn't know about. Things that make you go hmm.....
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:55 PM   #1046
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
The right will simply continue denying and lying and let the left fall on its sword all it wants. After all, in practical terms, having integrity and accountability is a lose-lose when only one side has these things.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:00 PM   #1047
mgidm86
Illuminator

What's good for the goose is good for the gander I suppose, Bill Clinton being the goose. That's why nobody seems to care about Trump's alleged past antics. Bill and Hillary had a big role in normalizing this behavior and democrats have been defending them for years, including here at this forum.

Does anyone really expect the GOP or anyone on the right to care about this hypocrisy after the Clinton years? The sad thing is that his behavior should matter. It didn't then so it doesn't now.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:03 PM   #1048
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
What's good for the goose is good for the gander I suppose, Bill Clinton being the goose. That's why nobody seems to care about Trump's alleged past antics. Bill and Hillary had a big role in normalizing this behavior and democrats have been defending them for years, including here at this forum.

Does anyone really expect the GOP or anyone on the right to care about this hypocrisy after the Clinton years? The sad thing is that his behavior should matter. It didn't then so it doesn't now.
It's so normalized, Al franken had to resign. OK
Old 7th December 2017, 03:05 PM   #1049
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

But it matters for Franken and Conyers? Are you serious with that logic?
Old 7th December 2017, 03:06 PM   #1050
crescent
Graduate Poster

That's a timely post you've got there.

Here's a bit of back and forth kellyb and had on that subject, over in the Al Franken thread:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...9#post12105869

(ETA: Not 30 minutes before you posted here!)
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:12 PM   #1051
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
But it matters for Franken and Conyers? Are you serious with that logic?
I'm talking about the office of the President only.

I should also add that not only did many people defend poor Bill, but the left also thought it a good idea to later back Hillary - the woman who enabled him and also publicly attacked the accusers - for President.

All of this stuff came out again during the campaign, and yes I think it's why Trump is "getting away with it" now. The left is completely hypocritical when it comes to Trump and the sex allegations.

Last edited by mgidm86; 7th December 2017 at 03:14 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:26 PM   #1052
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Which is exactly what recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel amounts to. it might have entertained the Israelis and some part of the Republican base but it has yet again annoyed the USA's European allies and incensed the Arab world, including countries whose help the US needs to fight Islamic terrorists, whose cause Trump has of course given a massive shot in the arm. All of this without even the pretence of a policy attached to it.
Quite. We even find people arguing that it doesn't materially change anything, so why the fuss? And not wondering why at all, in that case. Unknowable repurcussions, none of them conceivably of value, as the price of nothing at all. Nothing for Israel or the US, that is : who knows what Trump and Netenyahu think is in it for them.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:27 PM   #1053
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

And what gives with that speech? He sounded like me when i called my friends at work post surgery before the anesthetics wore off. I know, because they recorded it and played it back over the speakers when they wanted a laugh.
I too am lucky in my friends.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:41 PM   #1054
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Actually, they look to Japan for that sort of thing - especially the neo-nazis (what a shock!) and various white nationalists. They view Japan as an ideal that the US and Europe should follow - they think it's an ethno-state (it isn't), where the women are all meek and submissive (they aren't). Israel is kind of a side issue, since it exists regardless, and they consider "the jews", and particularly George Soros, to be trouble regardless of where they are.
The Jews are so last century. The 21st century nazi targets the Muslims. That's how Jean-Marie Le Pen and Ariel Sharon could be like brothers from different mothers, despite the French Right's long association with rabid Catholic anti-semitism.

Old 7th December 2017, 03:46 PM   #1055
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Please keep the conversation focused on things that don’t prove me wrong.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:49 PM   #1056
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I should also add that not only did many people defend poor Bill, but the left also thought it a good idea to later back Hillary - the woman who enabled him and also publicly attacked the accusers - for President.

All of this stuff came out again during the campaign, and yes I think it's why Trump is "getting away with it" now. The left is completely hypocritical when it comes to Trump and the sex allegations.
There is an exception for the President? What about Obstruction of Justice? What about colluding with Russians?

It's a very dangerous thing when you make the President above the law.
Old 7th December 2017, 03:53 PM   #1057
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
I too am lucky in my friends.
What i really hate about it was, that it was damn funny.

Embarrassing too. But what you going to do?
Old 7th December 2017, 03:55 PM   #1058
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
The right will simply continue denying and lying and let the left fall on its sword all it wants. After all, in practical terms, having integrity and accountability is a lose-lose when only one side has these things.
He's gone now so it'll soon slip from people's minds. The right can hardly keep harping on about it for long without looking riidiculous.

Of course the example of Hillary Clinton demonstrates that the right doesn't care if it looks ridiculous, and will certainly keep harping on.

Old 7th December 2017, 04:01 PM   #1059
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

"Enabled him" you actually have no shame, do you?No doubt Hillary disappointed you and your view of how a woman should act, but she chose to stick with the man she loves and has been with her entire life, for good or ill.

Quote:
"People think it's bad when you leave your wife for a piece of ass, even a great piece of ass ..."

Yeah, blame Hillary Clinton why don't you. What else have you people got?

Old 7th December 2017, 04:21 PM   #1060
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
Yeah... and he drinks blood, and steals sweets from babies ! (along with stealing elections from the Democrats )
Nah, but he does rape teenagers.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:31 PM   #1061
Lurch
Thinker

About that goose and gander thing with the sauce.

Slick Willie did some not nice stuff just about a quarter century ago. But finally we see some of the roosters are coming home to roost, with the recognition that foul treatment of women by men has had its day. The Dems have finally begun to redress matters.

But! Now we have to give Trump his kick at the can, just to be fair and stuff? Cut him (and the Reps) the same and continued slack for years to come? So that both parties get to enjoy the same period of little-or-no-consequences chicanery while in power?

Is this the sauce for the gander which was good for the goose?

How about *everyone* similarly and in the same timely fashion call out bad behaviour and apply the same strictures? Is that somehow unfair?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:42 PM   #1062
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
About that goose and gander thing with the sauce.

Slick Willie did some not nice stuff just about a quarter century ago. But finally we see some of the roosters are coming home to roost, with the recognition that foul treatment of women by men has had its day. The Dems have finally begun to redress matters.

But! Now we have to give Trump his kick at the can, just to be fair and stuff? Cut him (and the Reps) the same and continued slack for years to come? So that both parties get to enjoy the same period of little-or-no-consequences chicanery while in power?

Is this the sauce for the gander which was good for the goose?

How about *everyone* similarly and in the same timely fashion call out bad behaviour and apply the same strictures? Is that somehow unfair?
What? So the GOP can sodomize the rest of us? As they are doing with massive tax cuts for the rich, and the destruction of consumer protection and labor laws, the Internet, education, the environment and the safety net. Sure thing. We like it when the Republicans are in power.

The last Republican President enabled the theft of a million homes from the poor and the middle class. This one, handed himself and his heirs a billion dollars. Trump grabbed them girls by the pussy and now he is been reenacting a scene from Deliverance. Soooweee!
Old 7th December 2017, 06:25 PM   #1063
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Thanks for the link, in spite of the unnecessarily snarky eyeroll emoticon.
I couldn't find the LMGTFY (forgot the letters) link at the time.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:29 PM   #1064
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
That would be ideal, and requires only honesty and integrity, which have been sadly lacking in professional Republicans for some decades now. Unsurprisingly really, since there's no call for them from Republican voters, and they're actually repulsive to donors.

Old 7th December 2017, 08:04 PM   #1065
skyeagle409
Master Poster

White House misremembers historical details on Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump erred in their efforts to mark Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day on Thursday, misquoting one of the president’s predecessors and misstating the date of the attack on social media.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...istakes-286593

It's time to dump dumb Trump!!!
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:12 PM   #1066
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump erred in their efforts to mark Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day on Thursday, misquoting one of the president’s predecessors and misstating the date of the attack on social media.

Just followed the link. Got to say, I was expecting something much worse.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:25 PM   #1067
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post

Nitpicking.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:26 PM   #1068
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Hannity claims the FBI is the secret police, spying on citizens. And of course they've been pushing the claims since the Russia investigation connected to Trump that the FBI is pro-Clinton and anti-Trump and the whole investigation is a politically motivated scam.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 09:41 PM   #1069
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Hannity, Laura Ingraham and Newt Gingrich are all pushing the "deep state" garbage on Fix News. It's pathetic that a major network is pushing conspiracy theories that have the potential to cause violence.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 12:16 AM   #1070
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Why? Why is that not hypocritical?
Old 8th December 2017, 12:22 AM   #1071
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

The important questions are to be posed to every individual: does it matter to YOU? Does it matter to you, mgidm86? If not, why not? Do you advocate letting Don get off the hook *because* Bill got off the hook 20 years ago? Is that truly the standard you wish to hold yourself to? Is that the standard you recommend to the GOP?

Democratic politicians took the consequences in 2017. Are they stupid? What do you advise, and what maxims is your advice grounded in?
Old 8th December 2017, 12:28 AM   #1072
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Hannity claims the FBI is the secret police, spying on citizens. And of course they've been pushing the claims since the Russia investigation connected to Trump that the FBI is pro-Clinton and anti-Trump and the whole investigation is a politically motivated scam.
That is where the evidence is leading.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 12:33 AM   #1073
logger
Philosopher

What? So the GOP can sodomize the rest of us? As they are doing with massive tax cuts for the rich, and the destruction of consumer protection and labor laws, the Internet, education, the environment and the safety net. Sure thing. We like it when the Republicans are in power.

Yes we do like it when they’re in power. Lessening the burdensome behemoth federal government that’s crushing us is a good thing.
Quote:
The last Republican President enabled the theft of a million homes from the poor and the middle class. This one, handed himself and his heirs a billion dollars. Trump grabbed them girls by the pussy and now he is been reenacting a scene from Deliverance. Soooweee!
Lol
Is that when those meany head bankers gave loans (opportunities) for losers who couldn’t hold up their end of it?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 02:38 AM   #1074
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That clown could have at least gone with "the NSA". They, at least, get a *lot* more information than they can look through - and their HQ is a big scary glass building, to boot. Cheeto Benito's underlings were caught because they were talking to known spies and foreign agents like idiots.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 05:46 AM   #1075
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Is that when those meany head bankers gave loans (opportunities) for losers who couldn’t hold up their end of it?
Jesus loled along with the money changers at the pathetic poor in one of the Bible stories I remember.

What a load of selfish ****ery American Christianity has evolved into.
Old 8th December 2017, 07:05 AM   #1076
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Lol
you mean to Trump, who had to declare bankruptcy multiple times?
Old 8th December 2017, 07:18 AM   #1077
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

As a secular Jew who was raised hearing “Next year in Jerusalem” invoked in prayer, I’m undecided on Trump declaring Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

For those loudly condemning Trump on this, what do you think of prior presidents saying roughly the same thing?

https://youtu.be/r95vyrcQLtg

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 8th December 2017 at 07:20 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 08:27 AM   #1078
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
you mean to Trump, who had to declare bankruptcy multiple times?

I thought that US banks stopped giving loans to Trump a long time ago, since he was such a bad risk. I guess that makes him worse than the "losers who couldn’t hold up their end of it".
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 09:23 AM   #1079
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yes we do like it when they’re in power. Lessening the burdensome behemoth federal government that’s crushing us is a good thing.

Lol
Typical Republican BS. Screw the little guy. And if they complain they are losers. The Rich make the rules ...always in their own favor. And if the Government creates any rules to protect the poor and the working class or the environment it amounts to the governmnt crushing entrepreneurial spirit.

Never mind, that wealth and income inequality hasn't been this large since the gilded age.
Never mind that scientists are warning us about global warming and pollution. Never mind the millions of homeless people in America the wealthiest nation on the planet. Never mind that our children cannot afford college. Or seniors can't afford needed drugs. Oh, I forgot They are all losers in your mind.

Government is crushing you?

We should end Net Neutrality? Who does that help?

Government is crushing you.
Old 8th December 2017, 09:29 AM   #1080
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Is it just me or was he slurring his words in that speech?

Meds or dementia?
The New Yorker has an explanation
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics