ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand incidents , transgender incidents , transgender issues

Reply
Old 7th December 2017, 07:54 AM   #81
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper
 
Ron_Tomkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 41,392
In the end, for practical purposes, it's not so much an issue of whether or not they are women, as much as, they want to be treated as women. These are two separate things. Regardless of whether or not it is scientifically true that trans women are not women, they want to be addressed as one, have the same rights as one, be able to go to the same bathrooms, etc. So one is a scientific question, the other one is a moral/societal question of how to treat people.

It's the same with the question on homosexuality: Is it genetic or a choice? It makes no difference when it comes to the question of: Should we respect homosexuals, and allow them to have the same legal rights as straight people? (Though I know a lot of people will argue that no, we need to have the first question answered in order to decide if they get the obtain the same rights in society. But I disagree. Choosing a Religion is a choice, and yet they get a lot of rights, such as the right to not pay taxes)

The whole thing is tricky, because humans are very tribal. We don't like feeling excluded from the group. We evolved from staying in packs and hunting together. So being told "you're not one of us" feels like a stab in the heart.

But in the end, I would break it down to these two basic points:

* Regardless of whether or not trans women are actually women, they should have the same rights, and be treated with dignity and respect

* Regardless of the above, no one is in the obligation of changing their mind about whether or not trans women are actually women. If you believe they are not women, that is your right, and you also have a right to voice your opinion, provided it's done in a respectful manner. No one is under the obligation of calling trans women by the female pronoun or dating them, without being accused of being a transphobic.


These two principles have a very difficult time coexisting with each other. A lot of times, it's almost impossible for these two things to be true at the same time, without one somehow getting in the way of the other. But I believe it is possible, because I have seen many examples of people who abide by these two principles.
__________________
"I am a collection of water, calcium and organic molecules called Carl Sagan"

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:36 AM   #82
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,085
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What are you talking about?
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
And the gigantic Russian straw athelete sprints in from left field....
*reads thread title*

*stares blankly at the camera*



More seriously, the OP erroneously argues that trans women aren't allowed to compete in women's sports because they aren't women, when in reality the reasons they're not allowed to compete are the same reasons doped women and women undergoing certain medical treatments aren't allowed to compete. The Russian thing was an allusion to Russia being barred from the next Olympics for doping.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:47 AM   #83
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,201
Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Are Transwomen who have undergone hormone therapy for a few years really advantaged compared to cis-women with advantageous genetics? I guess they might have some advantage in proportions/leverage, but on balance, I really wonder.
Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Ah, that is indeed something I failed to consider.
The thing you're really failing to consider is that, at least in the UK, 95% of transwomen have not undergone any kind of medical therapy and 80% are expected to never do so.

We should be accurate about the concepts of sex and gender. Sex is the biological characteristic resulting from a certain pathway having been taken in the development of the fetus, consisting of primary and secondary sex characteristics. Gender is a social construct consisting of a behavioural stereotype (men are violent, women are submissive, men are logical, women are emotional, etc etc) and a social force which acts so as to force people into those stereotypes. Gender is hence always relative to a certain society, whereas sex is biological.

What is relevant for sports is secondary sex characteristics (lung capacity, muscle mass, etc) so what's relevant here is trans-sexualism and not trans-genderism. I don't see why there should be an expectation why someone with measurable sex-based advantages should be allowed into competitive sports of the other sex, whilst having no intention to do something about that advantage, for no other reason than that it "feels like the right thing" to that individual.

Trans-genderism is a category error anyway, confusing gender (a social construct) with personality (an individual construct).
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 7th December 2017 at 09:05 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 09:18 AM   #84
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,188
I have another solution. Right now, the Olympics gives out 15 gold medals for weight lifting.

We change it to one gold medal, call it weightlifting, and be done with it.

I have similar solutions for other sports. Right now there are 34 gold medals in swimming. It should be 7. 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, and marathon swim.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 09:20 AM   #85
Roboramma
Philosopher
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 9,996
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I have another solution.
What problem is this a solution for?
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 09:24 AM   #86
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,188
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
What problem is this a solution for?
People feeling sad because fair competition something something.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:59 AM   #87
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,535
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Problem is a bit of a stretch.
It is for any women who do it as a career.

Want to get to the Olympics etc etc

And can't because some she dude always wins
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 11:02 AM   #88
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,188
Question

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
It is for any women who do it as a career.

Want to get to the Olympics etc etc

And can't because some she dude always wins
And she can negotiate that herself. I see no reason to try and get third parties motivated and picking a side. To call her problem a problem is a bit much. I'm having a problem with my mother in law right now. I'm not coming here and saying it is a problem.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 11:07 AM   #89
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 19,658
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
Yeah but what are the chances you would be in the 0.3%?

333.333~ to 1?
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 11:17 AM   #90
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 19,658
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
How is starting a boy or girl on hormone therapy before puberty not child abuse? There are instances of the kid changing his mind after starting. There is a reason for children not being deemed competent to make life altering decisions. If a child feels their right arm isn't theirs, should we allow an amputation?

There is also a reason for using reversible treatments which delay
puberty until the child is old enough to to be deemed competent to make life altering decisions.

Which is the way your concerns are handled.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 11:24 AM   #91
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,463
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
in reality the reasons they're not allowed to compete are the same reasons doped women and women undergoing certain medical treatments aren't allowed to compete.
I don't think that's true. Can you explain your reasoning here in a little more detail?

Quote:
The Russian thing was an allusion to Russia being barred from the next Olympics for doping.
I see that as a separate issue entirely. A ciswoman who is doping to gain an unfair advantage over other ciswomen in athletic competition is fundamentally different from a transwoman who enjoys all the biological athletic advantages of a cisman, but who insists that her advantage over ciswomen in athletic competition is fair.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:04 PM   #92
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,085
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't think that's true. Can you explain your reasoning here in a little more detail?
In each case they generally don't compete because the effects of human manipulation of hormones (corrective or not) often results in vast performance differences that make the competition unfair or unsafe. That doesn't mean that any of those groups aren't women. This goes either way on the causation sequence; it's neither true that they can't compete because they'r not women nor that they aren't women because they can't compete.

Now one might say, 'that's just one layer more of abstraction, the same as saying it's not the fall the kills you but the sudden stop at the end', but it isn't. The reason for the hormone/etc differences don't come from them not being 'women', but from them being 'transwomen' which is a subset of 'women'.

This gets tricky at the edges, but sports are pretty damn arbitrary in many regards anyway. Each small change in rules can change just what you're measuring. What about ciswomen who just have a lot of the needed hormones? Why is the tricky science of nutrition not also restricted/segregated the way sex and doping are? What is the goal of sports to begin with?


Quote:
I see that as a separate issue entirely. A ciswoman who is doping to gain an unfair advantage over other ciswomen in athletic competition is fundamentally different from a transwoman who enjoys all the biological athletic advantages of a cisman, but who insists that her advantage over ciswomen in athletic competition is fair.
How is that fundamentally different?
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:53 PM   #93
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges
 
isissxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 4,316
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
It is for any women who do it as a career.

Want to get to the Olympics etc etc

And can't because some she dude always wins
How childish.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:56 PM   #94
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges
 
isissxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 4,316
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
How is starting a boy or girl on hormone therapy before puberty not child abuse? There are instances of the kid changing his mind after starting. There is a reason for children not being deemed competent to make life altering decisions. If a child feels their right arm isn't theirs, should we allow an amputation?
As I understand it, the kid can't just go "get" hormones on a whim, like some vitamins or a Happy Meal. They have to undergo a lot of psychological evaluation and be under a doctor's direct supervision as the treatment progresses. I suppose the kid changing his/her mind could still be an issue (kids do it a lot), but the intense evaluations are intended to weed out the majority of that risk and make sure the patient is in earnest.

Beyond that, I really don't know what exact safeguards are in place. It would be interesting to delve into more deeply, but we'll get in trouble for derailing.

I will say that it would most assuredly be child abuse for a parent to attempt to make that decision FOR a kid, which has happened (we had a thread on such a case not too long ago). However, in that case, the kooky mother was "caught" before any hormones or serious interventions had begun. I take it that is the idea.

Last edited by isissxn; 7th December 2017 at 12:59 PM.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:30 PM   #95
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,535
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
And she can negotiate that herself. I see no reason to try and get third parties motivated and picking a side. To call her problem a problem is a bit much. I'm having a problem with my mother in law right now. I'm not coming here and saying it is a problem.
Your mother in law is stopping your career path, screwing your earnings and probably devaluing your endorsement earnings by taking over your sport with an unfair advantage?
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:34 PM   #96
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,188
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Your mother in law is stopping your career path, screwing your earnings and probably devaluing your endorsement earnings by taking over your sport with an unfair advantage?
When you put it that way my problems are worse. I'm gong to fix mine by myself, they should too.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:22 PM   #97
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,535
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
When you put it that way my problems are worse. I'm gong to fix mine by myself, they should too.
Aah

They should break her arms
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 04:18 PM   #98
Marcus
Master Poster
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,706
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I have another solution. Right now, the Olympics gives out 15 gold medals for weight lifting.

We change it to one gold medal, call it weightlifting, and be done with it.

I have similar solutions for other sports. Right now there are 34 gold medals in swimming. It should be 7. 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, and marathon swim.
I take it you're not into swimming. You didn't mention which stroke you would allow, but of course all the others would be eliminated, along with all the relays.

In weightlifting, no weight classes, either snatch or clean and jerk only, non-huge guys and women need not apply.

Stupid ideas.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 04:24 PM   #99
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,188
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I take it you're not into swimming. You didn't mention which stroke you would allow, but of course all the others would be eliminated, along with all the relays.

In weightlifting, no weight classes, either snatch or clean and jerk only, non-huge guys and women need not apply.

Stupid ideas.
The stroke is swimmers choice.

Anyone is free to compete in the weightlifting event.

Why stupid?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:14 PM   #100
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,348
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
There is also a reason for using reversible treatments which delay
puberty until the child is old enough to to be deemed competent to make life altering decisions.

Which is the way your concerns are handled.
The logic is circular.

The parent has final say but it's following the child's wishes.

Do we really think the child can understand the risks involved with (any) medication? Hell most adults are pretty dim on the subject.

So then we have the patents making the decision, so really at what point is logic or reason coming from an adult? Or if you are looking at it from another angle, the parents have a scary amount of ability to modify their child as per their whim. What standard of evidence would we use to determine what the child actually wants?

We won't let someone tattoo their child (and their are plenty of parents who try) but making a medical decision of this magnitude (any medication can have serious adverse effects. Hence why they are not used on a win. ) should be not only fine, but based on the reasoning of a child?

We don't even let people tattoo themselves before adulthood.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:51 PM   #101
Marcus
Master Poster
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,706
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The stroke is swimmers choice.

Anyone is free to compete in the weightlifting event.

Why stupid?
Swimming would be reduced to freestyle only, since it is the fastest stroke.

Weightlifting would be reduced to heavyweight men only.

I get that not everyone is into sports, but you might as well go all the way and say you wished they were banned.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:20 PM   #102
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger
 
Damien Evans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 33,777
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
The thing you're really failing to consider is that, at least in the UK, 95% of transwomen have not undergone any kind of medical therapy and 80% are expected to never do so.

We should be accurate about the concepts of sex and gender. Sex is the biological characteristic resulting from a certain pathway having been taken in the development of the fetus, consisting of primary and secondary sex characteristics. Gender is a social construct consisting of a behavioural stereotype (men are violent, women are submissive, men are logical, women are emotional, etc etc) and a social force which acts so as to force people into those stereotypes. Gender is hence always relative to a certain society, whereas sex is biological.

What is relevant for sports is secondary sex characteristics (lung capacity, muscle mass, etc) so what's relevant here is trans-sexualism and not trans-genderism. I don't see why there should be an expectation why someone with measurable sex-based advantages should be allowed into competitive sports of the other sex, whilst having no intention to do something about that advantage, for no other reason than that it "feels like the right thing" to that individual.

Trans-genderism is a category error anyway, confusing gender (a social construct) with personality (an individual construct).
Citation needed.
__________________
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:22 PM   #103
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,188
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Swimming would be reduced to freestyle only, since it is the fastest stroke.

Weightlifting would be reduced to heavyweight men only.

I get that not everyone is into sports, but you might as well go all the way and say you wished they were banned.
I love sports. I love them so much I have entered a modernist, abstract, conceptual art phase of sports appreciation. The concept and ideas of the sport take precedence over traditional aesthetic, technical, and material concerns.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:18 PM   #104
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,201
Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Citation needed.
ref

Quote:
These figures indicate that about 1% of the UK population, some 650,000 people, are likely to be gender incongruent to some degree. So far, only about 30,000 have sought medical help for gender dysphoria. Dutch research indicates that around a fifth of the 650,000 will do so, amounting to a further 100,000 people.
It doesn't further specify which particular Dutch research though.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:31 PM   #105
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,474
Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if certain countries, particularly Russia and China, forced some athletes to do this. Something similar to East Germany in the 70s and 80s.
There were women doped to the degree that they changed genders and lived as men.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 11:04 PM   #106
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,839
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
There were women doped to the degree that they changed genders and lived as men.
Yes!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 11:06 PM   #107
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,839
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
The thing you're really failing to consider is that, at least in the UK, 95% of transwomen have not undergone any kind of medical therapy and 80% are expected to never do so.

We should be accurate about the concepts of sex and gender. Sex is the biological characteristic resulting from a certain pathway having been taken in the development of the fetus, consisting of primary and secondary sex characteristics. Gender is a social construct consisting of a behavioural stereotype (men are violent, women are submissive, men are logical, women are emotional, etc etc) and a social force which acts so as to force people into those stereotypes. Gender is hence always relative to a certain society, whereas sex is biological.

What is relevant for sports is secondary sex characteristics (lung capacity, muscle mass, etc) so what's relevant here is trans-sexualism and not trans-genderism. I don't see why there should be an expectation why someone with measurable sex-based advantages should be allowed into competitive sports of the other sex, whilst having no intention to do something about that advantage, for no other reason than that it "feels like the right thing" to that individual.

Trans-genderism is a category error anyway, confusing gender (a social construct) with personality (an individual construct).

Cool Story, brah ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 11:45 PM   #108
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15,383
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The stroke is swimmers choice.

Anyone is free to compete in the weightlifting event.

Why stupid?
If you want to be consistent, allow boats or running around the pool. Jumping in the water and not using machines are choices.
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 12:02 AM   #109
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,463
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
How is that fundamentally different?
One is cheating to gain an advantage not permitted by the rules. The other is asking for a rule change (or exploiting a loophole) that would give them a significant advantage.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 12:14 AM   #110
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,463
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
In each case they generally don't compete because the effects of human manipulation of hormones (corrective or not) often results in vast performance differences that make the competition unfair or unsafe.
But this isn't true. The case we're discussing here is biological males who start with an athletic advantage over biological females, before any hormone manipulation enters the picture. That makes it distinct from the other cases you discuss.

Quote:
That doesn't mean that any of those groups aren't women. This goes either way on the causation sequence; it's neither true that they can't compete because they'r not women nor that they aren't women because they can't compete.

Now one might say, 'that's just one layer more of abstraction, the same as saying it's not the fall the kills you but the sudden stop at the end', but it isn't. The reason for the hormone/etc differences don't come from them not being 'women', but from them being 'transwomen' which is a subset of 'women'.

This gets tricky at the edges, but sports are pretty damn arbitrary in many regards anyway. Each small change in rules can change just what you're measuring. What about ciswomen who just have a lot of the needed hormones? Why is the tricky science of nutrition not also restricted/segregated the way sex and doping are? What is the goal of sports to begin with?
You're conflating several different sources of athletic advantage. A man who competes against women doesn't become a woman by virtue of the competition. This has no bearing on the gender--biological, psychological, or otherwise--of competitors who seek competitive advantage through other means.

I think you're really stretching here, to prove an unnecessary (and mistaken) point.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 12:42 AM   #111
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,028
I'd be interested to know what more cisgendered women feel on the subject: does it matter if you're in a changing room and some chick whips out a penis?

Is it fair that transwomen are taking places in politics and other equal-opportunity areas where ratios are determined by gender? Is it reasonable that having been discriminated against for aeons and finally reaching some kind of parity that a class of women who used to be men muscle in on it?

Is it fair to send transwomen to women's jails? They certainly cannot be sent to men's jails, so do we need to actually designate a third gender, as some societies have done for centuries?

Women's refuges - is it reasonable that women in a place where anything male is anathema & potentially panic-inducing, that the women there are confronted by what is in many cases, a perfectly male body?

I don't know the answers, but I think they're some of the more important questions. I'd tend to sway behind the "third gender" option if I had to make a choice.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 01:23 AM   #112
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,839
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'd be interested to know what more cisgendered women feel on the subject: does it matter if you're in a changing room and some chick whips out a penis?

Is it fair that transwomen are taking places in politics and other equal-opportunity areas where ratios are determined by gender? Is it reasonable that having been discriminated against for aeons and finally reaching some kind of parity that a class of women who used to be men muscle in on it?

Is it fair to send transwomen to women's jails? They certainly cannot be sent to men's jails, so do we need to actually designate a third gender, as some societies have done for centuries?

Women's refuges - is it reasonable that women in a place where anything male is anathema & potentially panic-inducing, that the women there are confronted by what is in many cases, a perfectly male body?

I don't know the answers, but I think they're some of the more important questions. I'd tend to sway behind the "third gender" option if I had to make a choice.
Quoted so you can't take it away ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 04:17 AM   #113
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,319
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
If your talking transgender and female weightlifting in NZ . Yep
Why? She is following the international rules and after the required stand down time on female hormones, she has had to do the hard work to get back to where she is, and on top of all that, while yes she won the Australasia section, she didn't win the world's in either event she competed in.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 05:55 AM   #114
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,188
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'd be interested to know what more cisgendered women feel on the subject: does it matter if you're in a changing room and some chick whips out a penis?
That is kind of a cruel notion that you don't like another woman's body because it is different.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 05:56 AM   #115
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,188
Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
If you want to be consistent, allow boats or running around the pool. Jumping in the water and not using machines are choices.
I have no interest in being consistent.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 07:01 AM   #116
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,201
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Cool Story, brah ...
Wow what an intelligent response.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 07:14 AM   #117
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 304
Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
In sports, the main reason why men and women compete separately is that men, due to differences in hormonal mix and development, quite simply grow stronger muscles, and on average also grow taller, than women. It's a matter of biological, physiological sporting fairness.

So I can see, and actually support, that transgender folks who are treated as women socially are still treated as men athletically, if they (still) have the male mix of testosterone, size, muscles etc.

Or else, next thing we have a boxer claiming to be a feather weight trapped in a heavy weight body!

Perhaps, then -- extrapolating on this thought -- it might make sense to do away with segregation by sex altogether, and go for either no segregation at all, or else settle for segregation only by height and/or weight (depending on the relevance of such segregation for the specific sport), and irrespective of sex?

That would, after all, be the logical culmination of the drive for equality of the sexes.

Last edited by Chanakya; 8th December 2017 at 07:16 AM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 07:26 AM   #118
Roboramma
Philosopher
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 9,996
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I have no interest in being consistent.
So, what were you trying to achieve by doing away with, for instance, different strokes in swimming?
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 07:29 AM   #119
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,188
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
So, what were you trying to achieve by doing away with, for instance, different strokes in swimming?
I said what earlier

a modernist, abstract, conceptual art phase of sports appreciation. The concept and ideas of the sport take precedence over traditional aesthetic, technical, and material concerns.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 07:31 AM   #120
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,188
B
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Perhaps, then -- extrapolating on this thought -- it might make sense to do away with segregation by sex altogether, and go for either no segregation at all, or else settle for segregation only by height and/or weight (depending on the relevance of such segregation for the specific sport), and irrespective of sex?

That would, after all, be the logical culmination of the drive for equality of the sexes.
I think weight classes are equally silly.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.