IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , consciousness

Old 31st December 2017, 04:52 AM   #121
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Science cannot explain consciousness, therefore....
...consciousness isn't what we thought. It's a process of the brain, not a separate thing.

Of course, the premise isn't true. Science can.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 04:58 AM   #122
Belz...
Fiend God

So there are only two other competing models of reality if materialism fails: dualism and theism. Theism gets a huge boost if you knock out materialism.
No, that's not how it works. Eliminating one hypothesis does not make the other more likely.

Quote:
Nobody just throws up their hands and says "to hell with it, if materialism can't answer it, I guess we'll just have to give up". What happens is, you look for a conventional explanation. When that doesn't pan out, you start looking at unconventional explanations. When those don't pan out, you start to look at really out-there explanations.
All of those explanations have to be testable, however.

Quote:
Everything is unproven, before it is proven.
A pointless truism.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 05:01 AM   #123
Belz...
Fiend God

I think we should leave it at: you have faith in the scientific track record; and I think past performance is no guarantee of future results.
That's nothing but a rationalisation to hang on to your own faith.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
For mine, conciousness is something I experience. It exists, and I don't much care why. If it didn't exist, well we would not be having this discussion.
I think we would. We'd just be unaware bio-machines pretending to be conscious.

And maybe we are.

Old 31st December 2017, 05:12 AM   #124
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This is wasted on me, I'm not a theist. My point is that materialist-based science has failed on this. Some people are hypothesizing a possible consciousness field that permeates the universe. Research along those lines might turn up interesting results.
Something that we now know cannot exist. Your problem really is that you consider others are limited by your ignorance and inability to understand the world around you. Your understanding of the world seems to be stuck back in the 1950s.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 05:18 AM   #125
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
...consciousness isn't what we thought. It's a process of the brain, not a separate thing.

Of course, the premise isn't true. Science can.
This is the key.

I would be very surprised if fudbacker will supply us with a definition of counciousnes that isn't self referential.

In everyday speech we use our old folklore when we talk about thinking and counciousnes, like we all talk about the sun rising in the morning even though we now know that the sun does not rise nor set. The meaning of sunrise has had to change to accommodate our better understanding of the world.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 07:39 AM   #126
baron

If materialism is true, then consciousness arising from a lump of meat is an ongoing miracle...
A correction:

If materialism is true, then consciousness arising from a lump of meat and only that particular lump of meat is an ongoing miracle...

Materialism is as absurd as fundamentalist religion. Indeed, it is a religion, just without the god.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 07:41 AM   #127
baron

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Something that we now know cannot exist.
I haven't read most of the thread, but has evidence of this been linked to?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 10:02 AM   #128
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
How do you plan researching it without involving materialism?
This of course is FUD's conundrum. The suggestion that these things are transcendent and 'out there' eliminate any actual investigation leaving us with no path to discovery.

To my knowledge, i only have interacted with material phenomena and have no way to know that I have interacted with the immaterial so how the hell do we even begin to investigate it? Conduct seances? Pray? Throw chicken BONES? Question a yogi?

Also, EVERYTHING that is immaterial is totally hypothetical and the moment it ceases to be hypothetical, it becomes material. Gods, spirits, demons, fairies, universal minds etc, and anything else that provides no credible proof of its existence is no more than a thought. None of which has any more validity than the other.
Old 31st December 2017, 10:09 AM   #129
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
A correction:

If materialism is true, then consciousness arising from a lump of meat and only that particular lump of meat is an ongoing miracle...

Materialism is as absurd as fundamentalist religion. Indeed, it is a religion, just without the god.
Nonsense. If there is anything outside the material, PROVE IT, If tthere is any so called consciousness outside a material object, PROVE IT.

You can't. But don't feel bad. No one else can either. All you are doing is making castles in air. The immaterial is only real in your mind and your mind doesn't exist without that living piece of meat it is associated with.
Old 31st December 2017, 10:18 AM   #130
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
This of course is FUD's conundrum.

How can he distinguish between things that exist but are immaterial and things that don't exist?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 10:29 AM   #131
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

How can he distinguish between things that exist but are immaterial and things that don't exist?
Same way he just knows that he's too special to be the product of physical processes: feelings.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 10:45 AM   #132
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Makes you go hmmmm.
Old 31st December 2017, 10:47 AM   #133
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Same way he just knows that he's too special to be the product of physical processes: feelings.
Feelings. Nothing more than feelings.
Old 31st December 2017, 11:47 AM   #134
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

But it produces marvellously detailed descriptions of the Emperor's feathered hat. It might even finally answer the question of what colour Russell's teapot is.
No to mention the color and size of Sagan's dragon!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 11:53 AM   #135
Donn
Philosopher

How do you plan researching it without involving materialism?
The same way you'd sing without notes.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 04:54 AM   #136
baron

Nonsense. If there is anything outside the material, PROVE IT, If tthere is any so called consciousness outside a material object, PROVE IT.
If you had any concept of science you would know it was proved over 100 years ago. Materialism is an absurdity. Matter does not exist. Maybe you're a bit behind the times and still think atoms are little balls that bounce around, just like tennis balls except smaller. Drill down into a macro object and at the quantum scale you find there are no objects, only forces and potential. There is no determinism, only probability that coheres on macro scales. Materialism suits the ignorant and unimaginative very well until even they have to acknowledge the tenuousness of their position and compensate by frantically equivocating, inventing dozens of different flavours of materialism in a desperate attempt to cling to their non-evidential worldview.

You can't. But don't feel bad. No one else can either. All you are doing is making castles in air. The immaterial is only real in your mind and your mind doesn't exist without that living piece of meat it is associated with.
Oh, my mistake, you don't even know what materialism is.

Have a good new year.
Old 1st January 2018, 05:04 AM   #137
Belz...
Fiend God

A correction:

Is it a miracle that "60 km/h" arises from a functioning car? Because there's no difference between "going 60" and "experiencing". The only difference is one that you imagine because you want consciousness to be special.

And how can the absence of belief be a religion? Make sense, man.

Old 1st January 2018, 05:06 AM   #138
Belz...
Fiend God

If you had any concept of science you would know it was proved over 100 years ago.
It should be easy for you to support that claim, then.

Quote:
Materialism is an absurdity. Matter does not exist. Maybe you're a bit behind the times and still think atoms are little balls that bounce around, just like tennis balls except smaller. Drill down into a macro object and at the quantum scale you find there are no objects, only forces and potential.
And that's what we call matter.

And as we've shown in the past your grasp of quantum mechanics is lacking.

Quote:
Oh, my mistake, you don't even know what materialism is.
Given the above, that's quite an ironic statement.

Old 1st January 2018, 06:12 AM   #139
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

The idea that getting a better understanding of what matter consists of disproved materialism is ... odd. I sort of understand what baron is getting at, but I don't think it really stands up.
Old 1st January 2018, 08:57 AM   #140
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I haven't read most of the thread, but has evidence of this been linked to?
Been linked to in a few other threads but not this - this thread just seems to be for flat assertions so I didn't think necessary to relink.

There simply isn't a gap left for such an unknown mechanism to work - we've only been able to say that with confidence in about the past 10 years - I find it awe inspiring what we now know. (I also find it very disappointing in a way as we now know there is no magic.)
Old 1st January 2018, 08:59 AM   #141
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If you had any concept of science you would know it was proved over 100 years ago. Materialism is an absurdity. Matter does not exist. Maybe you're a bit behind the times and still think atoms are little balls that bounce around ...snip...
Ah I see your misunderstanding - what materialism means has changed since the 19th century. Catch-up with the modern usage and you'll see your objections to it are a tad silly.
Old 1st January 2018, 09:38 AM   #142
baron

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The idea that getting a better understanding of what matter consists of disproved materialism is ... odd. I sort of understand what baron is getting at, but I don't think it really stands up.
'Matter' is a throwback term to when the subatomic world was thought a mirror the macro world and consist of tiny little balls bouncing around and interacting. We have known for decades that this is not the case. Any current definition of 'matter' cannot relate to all that can be observed, and indeed does not. The photon does not have mass, the quark does not even exist in three dimensional space, and that's before you even get onto the question of fields and forces, which have never been defined under the term, and have historically been ignored by materialists of all flavours. No attributes of macro objects are mirrored in the subatomic world and therefore the idea of 'matter' and 'material' as applied to the latter is literally not even wrong, it is moot; it has no meaning.

Been linked to in a few other threads but not this - this thread just seems to be for flat assertions so I didn't think necessary to relink.
About 20 years ago I bought a book titled 'The End of Science', a confused, attention seeking tome suggesting that we were approaching a time when we know everything there is to know about reality. Some elements of the scientific community have been bleating on in a similar vein for the past two thousand years. Perhaps once it was a valid avenue of speculation, now it is inexcusable. What should be clear is that statements such as "We know that X cannot exist" are unjustified and unscientific.

There simply isn't a gap left for such an unknown mechanism to work - we've only been able to say that with confidence in about the past 10 years - I find it awe inspiring what we now know. (I also find it very disappointing in a way as we now know there is no magic.)
I don't know the article, and I've never heard of such a statement being made, but it smacks of sensationalism. That something of this magnitude is contained in single article is laughably unlikely. I certainly haven't encountered anything similar in the books I've read, even the ones published in the last 18 months.

In fact, 'unknown mechanism'? Consciousness, you mean? Consciousness does operate via an unknown mechanism. That's not even in serious dispute (unless you believe the title of Dennett's book 'Consciousness Explained', in which he waffles on about peripheral irrelevances before announcing he doesn't actually have a clue what consciousness is; I did consider getting a refund on the basis of false advertising). The general consensus, in my view, is that right now we know there is more we don't know that at any point in our history.

Ah I see your misunderstanding - what materialism means has changed since the 19th century. Catch-up with the modern usage and you'll see your objections to it are a tad silly.
Of course it's changed, that's my whole point! It changes every five years, when its followers realise the current flavour fails miserably to describe the prevailing scientific consensus yet don't have the wit or the honesty to admit they are wrong and re-evaluate their worldviews.

I was a materialist once, I have no qualms about admitting it. But then I did the research. Materialism wasn't a religion to me so I had no issues about letting it go.

Last edited by baron; 1st January 2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 1st January 2018, 10:59 AM   #143
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

'Matter' is a throwback term to when the subatomic world was thought a mirror the macro world and consist of tiny little balls bouncing around and interacting. We have known for decades that this is not the case. Any current definition of 'matter' cannot relate to all that can be observed, and indeed does not. The photon does not have mass, the quark does not even exist in three dimensional space, and that's before you even get onto the question of fields and forces, which have never been defined under the term, and have historically been ignored by materialists of all flavours. No attributes of macro objects are mirrored in the subatomic world and therefore the idea of 'matter' and 'material' as applied to the latter is literally not even wrong, it is moot; it has no meaning.

About 20 years ago I bought a book titled 'The End of Science', a confused, attention seeking tome suggesting that we were approaching a time when we know everything there is to know about reality. Some elements of the scientific community have been bleating on in a similar vein for the past two thousand years. Perhaps once it was a valid avenue of speculation, now it is inexcusable. What should be clear is that statements such as "We know that X cannot exist" are unjustified and unscientific.

I don't know the article, and I've never heard of such a statement being made, but it smacks of sensationalism. That something of this magnitude is contained in single article is laughably unlikely. I certainly haven't encountered anything similar in the books I've read, even the ones published in the last 18 months.

In fact, 'unknown mechanism'? Consciousness, you mean? Consciousness does operate via an unknown mechanism. That's not even in serious dispute (unless you believe the title of Dennett's book 'Consciousness Explained', in which he waffles on about peripheral irrelevances before announcing he doesn't actually have a clue what consciousness is; I did consider getting a refund on the basis of false advertising). The general consensus, in my view, is that right now we know there is more we don't know that at any point in our history.

Of course it's changed, that's my whole point! It changes every five years, when its followers realise the current flavour fails miserably to describe the prevailing scientific consensus yet don't have the wit or the honesty to admit they are wrong and re-evaluate their worldviews.

I was a materialist once, I have no qualms about admitting it. But then I did the research. Materialism wasn't a religion to me so I had no issues about letting it go.
How we define matter is different then what it was 150 years ago and the term materialism has evolved. Some people prefer physicalism, but I'm afraid somebody will get picky over that one as well.

What I am describing with the word materialism in this context is observable phenomena.

I don't believe a God or a universal mind exists, but if one can design a test for these concepts that is repeatable and verifiable, I would have no choice to concede the existential claim.

Holding such a philosophy doesn't make it a religion either. I don't pray to it or worship it either. It simply is the reality I interact with.
Old 1st January 2018, 11:33 AM   #144
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

A test for the existence of matter

a. push your keyboard (or laptop) back about a foot.

b. place your hands about a shoulder width apart on the front edge of the desk or table

c. smash your forehead down hard against the desk between your hands

If that hurt, then matter exists!

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 11:36 AM   #145
baron

How we define matter is different then what it was 150 years ago and the term materialism has evolved. Some people prefer physicalism, but I'm afraid somebody will get picky over that one as well.
Again, exactly my point. The definition branches and changes to fit the scientific consensus, becoming more convoluted and equivocal every time it is forced to accommodate fresh knowledge.

What I am describing with the word materialism in this context is observable phenomena.
I'm not sure what observable phenomenon would be. If you're defining materialism as things we know then it's a pretty useless concept, although that would account for the way the definition changes on a regular basis. In any event, it's not a definition I'm familiar with, you could even say that the definition of 'phenomena' is diametrically opposed to the fundamental concept of materialism, which is centred on the solid stuff, not the process.

I don't believe a God or a universal mind exists, but if one can design a test for these concepts that is repeatable and verifiable, I would have no choice to concede the existential claim.
Well, unless you disbelieve in consciousness (as some people do, incredibly) then you already believe in a concept for which there is no scientific evidence whatsoever. Not only that, but for which there is not even a hypothesis on how such evidence might be obtained.

Holding such a philosophy doesn't make it a religion either. I don't pray to it or worship it either. It simply is the reality I interact with.
It's a religion in that people have faith in it despite overwhelming evidence that is it not true.

And I agree, the materialist world is the world you interact with, and me too, but our macro world is an illusion, as quantum mechanics so clearly demonstrates.
Old 1st January 2018, 11:46 AM   #146
LarryS
Graduate Poster

There is no evidence of a universal consciousness or spirit. And more importantly, why would anyone think there is?
We only have evidence for 'a universal consciousness or spirit' - every experience and measurement occurs as an object in consciousness. We assume the existence of a shared physical material world. It's a rational assumption, but an assumption.
LarryS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 11:54 AM   #147
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The wavefunction exists. Which is an abstract mathematical structure and not a material object. That's more like platonic realism than materialism.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 12:02 PM   #148
Donn
Philosopher

If current physics are not labeled "materialism", what label should be used?
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 12:11 PM   #149
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Again, exactly my point. The definition branches and changes to fit the scientific consensus, becoming more convoluted and equivocal every time it is forced to accommodate fresh knowledge.
This is what science does. It changes with new data. That's how you can distinguish it from a religion.

I'm not sure what observable phenomenon would be. If you're defining materialism as things we know then it's a pretty useless concept, although that would account for the way the definition changes on a regular basis. In any event, it's not a definition I'm familiar with, you could even say that the definition of 'phenomena' is diametrically opposed to the fundamental concept of materialism, which is centred on the solid stuff, not the process.
Useless to you. But in terms of this conversation, it is entirely useful.

Well, unless you disbelieve in consciousness (as some people do, incredibly) then you already believe in a concept for which there is no scientific evidence whatsoever. Not only that, but for which there is not even a hypothesis on how such evidence might be obtained.
Nonsense, there is evidence for it all around us.

It's a religion in that people have faith in it despite overwhelming evidence that is it not true.
Its not Faith. 'faith' is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. No way does that describe the world we interact with. And if the repeatable verifiable almost universally shared perception of the world is not true, then nothing is.
And I agree, the materialist world is the world you interact with, and me too, but our macro world is an illusion, as quantum mechanics so clearly demonstrates.
That the quantum world requires a different kind of understanding doesn't make the world we interact with an illusion.

Last edited by acbytesla; 1st January 2018 at 12:12 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 12:13 PM   #150
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
A test for the existence of matter

a. push your keyboard (or laptop) back about a foot.

b. place your hands about a shoulder width apart on the front edge of the desk or table

c. smash your forehead down hard against the desk between your hands

If that hurt, then matter exists!
The problem is the materialists who used to think in depth about this stuff (Pixymisa, Rocketdodger, Piggy, etc.) are gone, and so instead of SRIP and rope-brains and simulated consciousness, the above is what passes for discussion now. It was old during Berkeley's time and it hasn't aged well.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 12:16 PM   #151
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
If current physics are not labeled "materialism", what label should be used?
Nothing. Physics does not rely on any ontological narrative, it never has. Just because materialism has been - and for some reason still is - a fad doesn't mean other ontologies (such as platonic realism, solipsism, "we live in a simulation", ...) are not just as good. Physics might exclude certain ontologies when they become inconsistent with it (such as materialism in its standard form pretty much has) but there's always still a ton of other ones available. All of which are inherently just as good as the rest, and it's basically just a fad which of them is popular.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 12:25 PM   #152
Belz...
Fiend God

The definition branches and changes to fit the scientific consensus, becoming more convoluted and equivocal every time it is forced to accommodate fresh knowledge.
Reality sucks compared to comfortable fantasy, right?

Old 1st January 2018, 12:56 PM   #153
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

The problem is the materialists who used to think in depth about this stuff (Pixymisa, Rocketdodger, Piggy, etc.) are gone, and so instead of SRIP and rope-brains and simulated consciousness, the above is what passes for discussion now. It was old during Berkeley's time and it hasn't aged well.

Are you only here for the entertainment, then? Or do you have some insights to share, regarding the nature of consciousness, that can be gained via dualistic or theistic models?
Old 1st January 2018, 12:57 PM   #154
IanS
Philosopher

If materialism is true, then consciousness arising from a lump of meat is an ongoing miracle which science has utterly failed to explain. And probably never will.

What do you think "consciousness" is? What sort of processes do you think are occurring to produce the effect that you call "consciousness? ... what is the mechanism that is causing "consciousness"?

I'm asking you, because you seem to have automatically assumed that "consciousness" cannot be explained as simply the end result of a sensory system (sight, touch, smell, hearing etc.) that is rapidly exchanging "information" (i.e. chemical, electrical and other physical changes) with the brain, limbs, and other organs.

If I had to guess at a likely scientific explanation, I would say that all known evidence probably points to a mechanism similar to the above description. So that what may seem to us to be a seamless continuous "awareness" of our surroundings, is actually composed of hundreds/thousands/millions of individual "bits" of that information (i.e. electrical, chemical, physical changes) being exchanged very rapidly back and forth between the sensory system, the brain, and the limbs and other organs ... it's happening so rapidly, and being updated so rapidly with small alterations, that it seems to us like what we rather vaguely call consciousness ... but it is actually that rapidly updating back-&-forth exchange of millions of individual bits/snapshots of input-output information.

As I said - that's just my guess as to what's really happening. But I don't think anyone should be surprised if science finally decides that it's something very much like that.
IanS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 01:05 PM   #155
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Does Langton's Ant have a soul?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 01:12 PM   #156
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

This is what science does. It changes with new data. That's how you can distinguish it from a religion.
This.

Religion's response to new data is

a. reject it out of hand if it does not accord with existing dogma*

b. Claim "God did it" and/or "God works in mysterious ways"

*(I saw a great example of this in a recent documentary called "The Jesus Strand: A Search for DNA". Here is a brief "about" for those who haven't seen it.

Now for the first time in history a man of faith and a man of science are teaming up to search for Jesus' DNA. Using the latest advances in DNA technology Oxford University geneticist George Busby and biblical scholar Pastor Joe Basile are investigating the world's most famous holy relics including the Shroud of Turin, The Sudarium of Oviedo and the newly discovered bones of Jesus' cousin, John the Baptist. Their journey takes them to holy sites around the world from Spain and Italy to Israel and the shores of the Black Sea. By extracting and analyzing samples of each of these holy relics they hope to retrieve a sample of DNA that possibly belongs to Jesus or a member of his family. They believe that if they can find a strand of Jesus' DNA it could help identify who among us today are descendants of Jesus and provide us with new insight into the man many consider to be the most important person in history, Jesus.

I approached it with an open mind (the scientifically correct thing to do), however, very early on, Pastor Joe Basile made a statement in narration that was so offhand, I almost missed it....

"any evidence we find must accord with the Biblical account"

For mine, this statement put an end to any pretence of it being a scientific study. No scientist would pre-emptively dismiss undiscovered evidence. A TRUE scientist is open to the possibility that their theory (no matter how dearly they hold it) might be wrong; they will go where the evidence, the testing and the results take them.

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st January 2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 1st January 2018, 01:13 PM   #157
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Nothing. Physics does not rely on any ontological narrative, it never has. Just because materialism has been - and for some reason still is - a fad doesn't mean other ontologies (such as platonic realism, solipsism, "we live in a simulation", ...) are not just as good. Physics might exclude certain ontologies when they become inconsistent with it (such as materialism in its standard form pretty much has) but there's always still a ton of other ones available. All of which are inherently just as good as the rest, and it's basically just a fad which of them is popular.
That doesn't scan.

Materialism is not a fad or a competing hypothesis in the ring with gods, magic or navel-gazing. Materialism is a noun that groups the whole of what science has learned.

I am trying to get at why games are being played here with the name "materialism" without any sensible replacement being mooted.
Old 1st January 2018, 01:45 PM   #158
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
That doesn't scan.

Materialism is not a fad or a competing hypothesis in the ring with gods, magic or navel-gazing. Materialism is a noun that groups the whole of what science has learned.

I am trying to get at why games are being played here with the name "materialism" without any sensible replacement being mooted.
No, the noun that groups the whole of what science has learned is science. Materialism is a fad which asserts a) the existence of matter and b) the non-existence of non-matter.
Old 1st January 2018, 01:46 PM   #159
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Just because materialism has been - and for some reason still is - a fad...
Materialism is not, never has been, and never will be "a fad"

I have another name for it, I call it "actualism"

doesn't mean other ontologies (such as platonic realism, solipsism, "we live in a simulation", ...) are not just as good.
Materialism doesn't require the assumption of anything else other than itself for it to be reality, and as for "we live in a simulation", well, this is just nuts. It has to be just about the most ridiculous concept of them all. What about those who run the simulation? Are they in a simulation too? What about those who are running THAT simulation? Are they also in a simulation? This is almost as ridiculous as "turtles all the way down".

Old 1st January 2018, 01:48 PM   #160
baron

It's bizarre you should ascertain that science, instead of discarding old hypotheses in favour of new ones, clings grimly to the same concept and tries to shoe-horn into it into the ever-changing evidential framework of reality. That's not a behaviour of science I've ever encountered but you know, it does ring a bell...

...of course, religion. There's even a phrase for it - 'the god of the gaps'. As evidential explanations become impossible to ignore so the opportunity for god's influence reduces, making a mockery of the whole concept, but that doesn't phase the religionists. God is still out there doing his thing despite having to revise on a regular basis what it is he actually does. It's exactly the same with materialists except instead of narrowing their definition of materialism they widen it.

Useless to you. But in terms of this conversation, it is entirely useful.
Unless you're having a conversation with yourself then by your own definition, it's useless.

Nonsense, there is evidence for it all around us.
Feel free to elucidate, I'm eager to see this evidence.

Its not Faith. 'faith' is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
Are you seriously telling me that you rely on your own senses to form a full conceptual theory of reality?

No way does that describe the world we interact with.
No, it describes how materialists, and religionists, view it.

And if the repeatable verifiable almost universally shared perception of the world is not true, then nothing is.

That the quantum world requires a different kind of understanding doesn't make the world we interact with an illusion.
What are you talking about? The world as we observe it is created in its entirety inside our heads from a vanishingly small set of electrical impulses. It is a wholly fabricated model, the sole purpose of which is not for us to understand the universe, but for us to survive in our limited environment long enough to reproduce. You think the real 'out there' world possesses attributes of colour, or sound, or solidity, or even movement in the strictest sense? You think we are capable of processing more than a crazy small fraction of the information around us?

Quantum mechanics tells us what reality is fundamentally like. You can't reasonably deny that. What you experience with your almost non-existent macro senses in your immediate environment is wholly irrelevant. Materialism, regardless of what contrived definition it is operating under today, must define the fundamentals of existence, otherwise why even invent the term?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy