ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Is Emotion or Intellect more Useful and BenefiI’m not sure/don’t know/cial to Humans?
Emotion 0 0%
Intellect. 13 30.23%
They are equally useful and beneficial. 22 51.16%
I’m not sure/don’t know/don’t care (Planet X). 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 8th January 2018, 11:18 PM   #121
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,082
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
It's not my fault you never got a remote control plane for Xmas. You shouldn't have been such a naughty little boy .

Wingless plane - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr5HwRyk020

Autonomous plane - https://www.businessinsider.com.au/b...7-12?r=US&IR=T
Nice, argue irrelevant details inherent to the analogy used, instead of addressing (understanding?) the point being made.
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB

Last edited by Cheetah; 8th January 2018 at 11:20 PM.
Cheetah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 09:23 AM   #122
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,861
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Quote:
The problem is, if Emotion did not exist, we would still engage in discovery because our intellect would tell us that its beneficial to ourselves and/or our species survival.
Quite the opposite. Without pesky emotions, we would have ditched agriculture, and gone back to the easy hunter-gatherer lifestyle. The reason we didn't was because it would have entailed mass starvation. But if you don't care about the people starving...
Why are you claiming that a totally intellectual species would not care about mass starvation?

Yes, a desire to end suffering (e.g. famine) can be rooted in emotions through empathy/sympathy. But it can also be from a purely logical/intellectual stance. "The Human genome should continue, and that means preventing premature deaths from starvation and/or disease since anyone affected might be carrying valuable genes".
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 10:31 AM   #123
Tommy Jeppesen
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,578
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Why are you claiming that a totally intellectual species would not care about mass starvation?

Yes, a desire to end suffering (e.g. famine) can be rooted in emotions through empathy/sympathy. But it can also be from a purely logical/intellectual stance. "The Human genome should continue, and that means preventing premature deaths from starvation and/or disease since anyone affected might be carrying valuable genes".
Or: "The Human genome should continue, and that means a continuous exposure to starvation and/or disease will have a positive effect through survival of the fittest."

Now decide, the problem is, that what is better, is determined by the assumption that you start with.
__________________
I don't believe in God and all the rest outside of methodological naturalism But I am a cognitive and ethical relativist/subjectivist and skeptic.
#JeSuisAhmed
Tommy Jeppesen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 11:32 AM   #124
Myriad
Hyperthetical
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Posts: 14,270
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
It's not my fault you never got a remote control plane for Xmas. You shouldn't have been such a naughty little boy .

Wingless plane - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr5HwRyk020

Autonomous plane - https://www.businessinsider.com.au/b...7-12?r=US&IR=T

Is this thread about the nuances of aviation terminology? If not, you might be better off addressing my actual points about the actual topic, which are readily comprehensible.
__________________
A zømbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 01:29 PM   #125
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,537
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Emotionist rubbish! Why do you hate intellect so much?

Are you seriously claiming that the agricultural revolution was the result of emotions?
Sticking with it was. As each innovation was made, it allowed more people to be fed, and made it impossible to turn away from it without mass starvation.

Last edited by Fudbucker; 9th January 2018 at 01:31 PM.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 01:31 PM   #126
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,537
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Why are you claiming that a totally intellectual species would not care about mass starvation?

Yes, a desire to end suffering (e.g. famine) can be rooted in emotions through empathy/sympathy. But it can also be from a purely logical/intellectual stance. "The Human genome should continue, and that means preventing premature deaths from starvation and/or disease since anyone affected might be carrying valuable genes".
I don't think that kind of thinking was going on thousands of years ago, do you?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 09:23 AM   #127
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 76,641
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Is Emotion or Intellect more Useful and BenefiI’m not sure/don’t know/cial to Humans?
Best wording ever.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 09:40 AM   #128
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,861
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Quote:
Why are you claiming that a totally intellectual species would not care about mass starvation?

Yes, a desire to end suffering (e.g. famine) can be rooted in emotions through empathy/sympathy. But it can also be from a purely logical/intellectual stance. "The Human genome should continue, and that means preventing premature deaths from starvation and/or disease since anyone affected might be carrying valuable genes".
I don't think that kind of thinking was going on thousands of years ago, do you?
We may not have known about genes or inheritance thousands of years ago. But, I think humans at the time would still have recognized the value in a society that attempts to prevent premature deaths in general because, being intellectual, they would have realized that what could impact other people could also impact you too.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 09:42 AM   #129
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,553
Funny that the posts of this thread's Champion of the Intellect appear so... emotional.
But never mind that...

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Why are you claiming that a totally intellectual species would not care about mass starvation?

Yes, a desire to end suffering (e.g. famine) can be rooted in emotions through empathy/sympathy. But it can also be from a purely logical/intellectual stance. "The Human genome should continue, and that means preventing premature deaths from starvation and/or disease since anyone affected might be carrying valuable genes".
But why? I don't think there's a purely intellectual reason for this. It should continue because we want to continue, because we value ourselves. As far as I can tell any reason for wanting humans to exist that isn't purely utilitarian (we need humans to do X, because that is the most efficient/only way) is always rooted in emotion.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 11:01 AM   #130
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,349
I think there is also a false dichotomy here, there is no clear line between emotions and thought. They are part and parcel of each other.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 12:28 PM   #131
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,943
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Best wording ever.
An overlapping of my wording but not representative of my wording. I assume a software glitch.
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 12:49 PM   #132
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,943
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Funny that the posts of this thread's Champion of the Intellect appear so... emotional.
But never mind that...
Funny that the posts of this thread's Champions of the Emotions appear so... intellectual (or at least try to appear so).
But never mind that...
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.

Last edited by ynot; 10th January 2018 at 02:37 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 02:48 PM   #133
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,943
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
But why? I don't think there's a purely intellectual reason for this. It should continue because we want to continue, because we value ourselves. As far as I can tell any reason for wanting humans to exist that isn't purely utilitarian (we need humans to do X, because that is the most efficient/only way) is always rooted in emotion.
There doesn't have to be an emotional or intellectual reason for the genome of any species to continue. Species don't decide to continue living, they do it by natural default. Call it by instinct if you like. Humans can however decide to not continue living. Usually that's an emotionally unhealthy decision if it's suicide, or a healthy intellectual decision if it's euthanasia.
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 03:03 PM   #134
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,553
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
There doesn't have to be an emotional or intellectual reason for the genome of any species to continue.
I'm not saying there has to be.
I was questioning the assertion that it's possible to have purely intellectual arguments for the desire for self preservation.

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Species don't decide to continue living, they do it by natural default. Call it by instinct if you like. Humans can however decide to not continue living. Usually that's an emotionally unhealthy decision if it's suicide, or a healthy intellectual decision if it's euthanasia.
And now you're adding a third dimension, instinct?
Okay, where does instinct end and feeling begin?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2018, 05:40 PM   #135
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,943
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I'm not saying there has to be.
I was questioning the assertion that it's possible to have purely intellectual arguments for the desire for self preservation.


And now you're adding a third dimension, instinct?
Okay, where does instinct end and feeling begin?
Instinct is not a feeling, but an innate, "hardwired" tendency toward a particular behavior. Instincts are automatic reactions to environmental stimuli and occur in every individual of a species. Self-preservation is the instinctual default desire of all life. Humans can emotionally or intellectually override that desire. Does "purely" have to be 100%, or would 99% do (or predominately)? It would be as impossible to prove that humans can be 100% intellectual or emotional as it would be to prove they can't. And what would be the point even if you could?
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.

Last edited by ynot; 10th January 2018 at 06:12 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 09:56 AM   #136
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,349
Well actually humans have reflexes which are like instincts but modal and fixed action patterns are not really established for humans.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 02:05 PM   #137
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,943
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Well actually humans have reflexes which are like instincts but modal and fixed action patterns are not really established for humans.
IMO humans do have instincts, but they’re sometimes harder to spot than in other species because our advanced emotions and intellect tend to override them. Let’s consider three “modal and fixed action patterns” of a newborn before emotion and intellect have had a chance to “kick in”. The first breath of air. The first cry for attention. The first suck for food. I would call all these instinctual actions (instinct to act).

I would call a reflex action an instinctual reaction (instinct to react). Please explain why not if you disagree.
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.

Last edited by ynot; 11th January 2018 at 02:19 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 03:53 PM   #138
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,349
Hi,
I am engaging in pedantry, those are reflexes not instincts.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 04:16 PM   #139
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,861
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Quote:
Yes, a desire to end suffering (e.g. famine) can be rooted in emotions through empathy/sympathy. But it can also be from a purely logical/intellectual stance. "The Human genome should continue, and that means preventing premature deaths from starvation and/or disease since anyone affected might be carrying valuable genes".
But why? I don't think there's a purely intellectual reason for this. It should continue because we want to continue, because we value ourselves.
The question in this thread is what is more important, intellect or emotion.

In my opinion (yes, its an opinion), self preservation (or preservation of an organism's genes) is something that is neither intellectual nor emotional, but more instinctual. That would put it outside of the 2 options that were given.

Now, if you want to hold the opinion that "desire for self preservation is an emotion" you can certainly do so. However, I think that it expands the definition of "emotion" too far.

After all, do you also consider hunger to be an emotion? What about feeling cold? If you include those as emotions then any creature not wanting to die freezing and hungry is being emotional.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 04:22 PM   #140
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,943
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Hi,
I am engaging in pedantry, those are reflexes not instincts.
By that pedantry "logic" everything described as instincts are actually reflexes.

Memo to all lexicographers - Please remove the word "instinct" from all dictionaries.


ETA - Rewrite - My post argued that reflexes are instincts. Can you address that argument?
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.

Last edited by ynot; 11th January 2018 at 04:52 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2018, 04:27 PM   #141
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,943
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The question in this thread is what is more important, intellect or emotion.

In my opinion (yes, its an opinion), self preservation (or preservation of an organism's genes) is something that is neither intellectual nor emotional, but more instinctual. That would put it outside of the 2 options that were given.

Now, if you want to hold the opinion that "desire for self preservation is an emotion" you can certainly do so. However, I think that it expands the definition of "emotion" too far.

After all, do you also consider hunger to be an emotion? What about feeling cold? If you include those as emotions then any creature not wanting to die freezing and hungry is being emotional.
Well said.

ETA - However (on reflection) I'm sure the argument is that not wanting to die is the emotional bit (regardless of the cause).

It's all a red-herring argument anyway as it's self-evident that all life has a default instinct/desire/compulsion to live that's independent from emotion and intellect. As mentioned earlier, emotion and intellect can override that default, but they don't "kick in" until after life has started.
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.

Last edited by ynot; 11th January 2018 at 05:02 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 10:26 AM   #142
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,349
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
By that pedantry "logic" everything described as instincts are actually reflexes.

Memo to all lexicographers - Please remove the word "instinct" from all dictionaries.


ETA - Rewrite - My post argued that reflexes are instincts. Can you address that argument?
That is not the standard usage in ethology.
I think that is all I meant, I recall that fixed and modal action patterns are more complex that reflexes.

So the palmar reflex, bambini reflex and blinking are less complex than say instinctual fish mating dances
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 11:18 AM   #143
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,082
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
IMO humans do have instincts, but they’re sometimes harder to spot than in other species because our advanced emotions and intellect tend to override them.
What would you say is an instinct?

This is the standard definition.
Quote:
An innate, typically fixed pattern of behaviour in animals in response to certain stimuli.

A natural or intuitive way of acting or thinking.

Synonyms: natural tendency, inborn tendency, inherent tendency, inclination, inner prompting, urge, drive, compulsion, need etc...
Which of the two definitions fit this discussion better?
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB

Last edited by Cheetah; 12th January 2018 at 11:21 AM.
Cheetah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 11:38 AM   #144
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,259
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
When theists arrive at my door to tell me the good message of their particular savior I usually say - "Sorry, but it would be a waste of time because I'm a realist". Their enlightened eyes light up even more, and their plastic smiles broaden even more, and they exclaim enthusiastically - "So are we!" The poor fools actually believe they are! I guess if you can believe in a magical, invisible sky-daddy you can believe anything.
I can't deal with door-to-door missionaries, but I'm beginning to think many people function better with basically an emotional framework around them. I might even say a "faith-based framework," but I'm not talking strictly about religion. Patriotism, an all-consuming passion, wanting to always be "in love" - any number of lifestyles would qualify. I'm pretty cerebral myself and it's a barrier, sometimes, to becoming immersed in common cause with other humans.

If that were the case, then believing in things would in some cases be a form of realism. Realistically dealing with our own emotional natures, which I'm not sure can be cleanly separated from reason in any event.

I mean, what the reason for people to be obsessed by having their own biological descendants? It's not necessarily reasonable but pretty damn functional from a species population standpoint.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 11:46 AM   #145
Cheetah
Graduate Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,082
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I mean, what the reason for people to be obsessed by having their own biological descendants? It's not necessarily reasonable but pretty damn functional from a species population standpoint.
Yes, and as things currently stand it can be argued to be totally irrational choice to make.
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB
Cheetah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 02:52 PM   #146
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,943
This whole “instinct” derail began when I posted this . . .
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
There doesn't have to be an emotional or intellectual reason for the genome of any species to continue. Species don't decide to continue living, they do it by natural default. Call it by instinct if you like.
HINT – If you don’t like call it whatever you do like. But whatever you call it, all life has a default [insert word of your choice] to live and continue it’s species.
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.

Last edited by ynot; 12th January 2018 at 03:22 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 03:16 PM   #147
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,943
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I can't deal with door-to-door missionaries, but I'm beginning to think many people function better with basically an emotional framework around them. I might even say a "faith-based framework," but I'm not talking strictly about religion. Patriotism, an all-consuming passion, wanting to always be "in love" - any number of lifestyles would qualify. I'm pretty cerebral myself and it's a barrier, sometimes, to becoming immersed in common cause with other humans.

If that were the case, then believing in things would in some cases be a form of realism. Realistically dealing with our own emotional natures, which I'm not sure can be cleanly separated from reason in any event.
That people really have beliefs doesn’t make their beliefs actually real and the believers actual realists. “Belief reality” is at best “fantasy”, the opposite of reality. The “poor fools” don’t know the difference between their beliefs and reality. If you think that’s “realistically dealing with our own emotional natures” then you’re also a “poor fool”.
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 04:10 PM   #148
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,259
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
That people really have beliefs doesn’t make their beliefs actually real and the believers actual realists. “Belief reality” is at best “fantasy”, the opposite of reality. The “poor fools” don’t know the difference between their beliefs and reality. If you think that’s “realistically dealing with our own emotional natures” then you’re also a “poor fool”.
Whatever.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 04:14 PM   #149
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,259
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
This whole “instinct” derail began when I posted this . . .

HINT – If you don’t like call it whatever you do like. But whatever you call it, all life has a default [insert word of your choice] to live and continue it’s species.
But what if the species has the intellectual capacity to see that the reproductive instinct actually threatens the species?

Are humans poor fools for wanting children?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 04:18 PM   #150
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,943
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
But what if the species has the intellectual capacity to see that the reproductive instinct actually threatens the species?

Are humans poor fools for wanting children?
Whatever.

But what if the species has the emotional capacity to override the intellectual capacity to see that the reproductive instinct actually threatens the species?

Are humans poor fools for emotionally wanting children?
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.

Last edited by ynot; 12th January 2018 at 04:26 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 04:29 PM   #151
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,259
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Yes, and as things currently stand it can be argued to be totally irrational choice to make.
What's happening is that people in industrialized nations - enough of the people, anyway - seem to be losing the imperative to reproduce, while in underdeveloped areas the instinct/emotion remains strong. And often for an underlying practical reason: With high childhood mortality and a poor social safety net, bearing 8 or 10 or more children is rationally defensible as insurance for old age.

In the past 100+ years that imperative has fallen away in select portions of the world. Yet infertility is a cause of real anguish for some couples, to the extent that infertility is considered a medical condition to be addressed with government-funded IVF treatments. People who never wanted kids are paying other people to reproduce. What's the basis for that practice - intellect or emotion?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 04:34 PM   #152
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,259
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Whatever.

But what if the species has the emotional capacity to override the intellectual capacity to see that the reproductive instinct actually threatens the species?

Are humans poor fools for emotionally wanting children?
I don't know - I ask the same question in a comment I just posted. I hadn't seen your most recent post when I asked it.

If continuing the species depends on emotions overriding intellect, then emotions are pretty important.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2018, 04:51 PM   #153
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,943
You need to make up your mind up between . . .
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
But what if the species has the intellectual capacity to see that the reproductive instinct actually threatens the species?
and . . .
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
If continuing the species depends on emotions overriding intellect, then emotions are pretty important.
before you decide whether emotions or intellect are most important to the continuation of the species.

ETA - I didn't say "continuing the species depends on emotions overriding intellect". Them's your words.
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.

Last edited by ynot; 12th January 2018 at 05:41 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2018, 03:17 PM   #154
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator
 
SatansMaleVoiceChoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: All Over You
Posts: 3,446
I picked both, but I think knowing when to separate the two, or when to ‘use’ one over the other is more important. But then isn’t that ‘knowing’ then classed as ‘intellect’? I’ve confused myself.

Maybe I should just say both are necessary elements of a well-adjusted human being?
__________________
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 08:36 PM   #155
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 23,188
I think it's a bad question because it suggests that emotion and intellect are opposites or enemies, which they're not. They're different, sure, but they also overlap and intersect, and the poll is like asking whether your hands or your feet are more important. It sort of depends on what you're doing. Next poll: would you rather choke or drown?
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.