ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th February 2018, 03:58 PM   #81
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Just be glad you don't have raccoons. We had one give birth in our floor.
Old 6th February 2018, 04:25 PM   #82
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Just be glad you don't have raccoons. We had one give birth in our floor.
This is what happens to raccoons 'round here.

Old 6th February 2018, 10:18 PM   #83
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
This is what happens to raccoons 'round here.
Wow, picked clean. So what do they taste like?
Old 6th February 2018, 11:42 PM   #84
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Not just for breakfast, then?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 10:54 AM   #85
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I refer to those as "Good Raccoons". Because the only good raccoon....
Old 7th February 2018, 11:46 AM   #86
CORed
Philosopher

Yes. Also, the complete absence of muscles to operate those jaws and teeth is a good thing.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 02:53 AM   #87
Mackenberg
Thinker

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I could actually feel my brain trying to crawl out through my ear to escape that stupidity.
At one point, a platypus bumps its bill on a branch while swimming, which proves it's a prosthetic because a real platypus would know it has a bill on its face. I guess this moron never stubs his toe, since he knows he has toes on the end of his foot.
It looked to me as if the platypus was snapping at some small prey as it swam between the camera and the branch.
Mackenberg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 06:47 AM   #88
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mackenberg View Post
It looked to me as if the platypus was snapping at some small prey as it swam between the camera and the branch.
Yes, that is also how I saw it. It swings its whole head to the side, while the rest of the body continues straight out. That's not a bump.

Also there is one small hitch to his claim: A beaver is about twice the length and 10 times the weight of a platypus.

Hans
Old 8th February 2018, 09:58 AM   #89
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
A beaver is about twice the length and 10 times the weight of a platypus.
African or European beavers?
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 11:54 AM   #90
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

... Well, that one is a little hard to swallow

Hans

Last edited by MRC_Hans; 8th February 2018 at 11:58 AM.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 04:05 PM   #91
Tanalia
Scholar

... Well, that one is a little hard to swallow

Hans
It's easier if you can get it to drop the coconut.
Tanalia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 05:42 PM   #92
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

- Platypus aren't real.
- What's a platypus?
- A platypus is that urban legend about a mind controlling video game.
- No that's Polybius. A platypus is a substance made up of large repeated subunits of molecules
- No that's a Polymer. A platypus is a plane figure with at least 3 regular straight sides and angles.
- No that's a Polygon. A platypus is a learned man that speaks several languages.
- No that's a Polyglot. A platypus is a tray of appetizers at a Chinese restaurant.
- No that's a Pupu Platter. A platypus is another word for elephant.
- No that's a Pachyderm. A platypus is a thick wart on the bottom of your foot.
- No that's a Planar. A platypus is fine white linen.
- No that's a Platilla. A platypus is that made up product from Rick & Morty.
- No that's a Plumbus. A platypus is....

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 8th February 2018 at 05:46 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 10:03 PM   #93
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Come on Joe!

The suspense is killing me.

What IS it?
Old 9th February 2018, 05:42 AM   #94
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Come on Joe!

The suspense is killing me.

What IS it?

I see you shiver with antici-
Old 9th February 2018, 09:15 AM   #95
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

I've never heard of beavers in Africa, but they were reintroduced into Scotland, and various other European territories, after an absence of several centuries. The European beavers were almost extinct a century ago.
Eurasian beaverWPs are one of the largest living species of rodents and are the largest rodent native to Eurasia. They weigh around 11–30 kg (24–66 lb).
Very slightly more massive, on average, than their American cousins.

Last edited by Craig B; 9th February 2018 at 09:18 AM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 09:17 AM   #96
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I've never heard of beavers in Africa, but they were reintroduced into Scotland, and various other European territories, after an absence of several centuries. They were almost extinct a century ago.
Eurasian beaverWPs are one of the largest living species of rodents and are the largest rodent native to Eurasia. They weigh around 11–30 kg (24–66 lb).
Very slightly more massive than their American cousins.
It was a Monty Python paraphrase.

Hans
Old 9th February 2018, 10:11 AM   #97
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

I'm from Africa, it could not have been an African beaver.
Few have seen the African beaver and it is said that coming between it and the water is certain death, without exception. No survivors have lived to tell of their experience, since they are exceptionally furtive and never show themselves except when feeling threatened by people getting between them and the water.
Over here we just thank god that they are not nearly as fierce as the Australian beaver.

Last edited by Cheetah; 9th February 2018 at 11:00 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 11:08 AM   #98
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Hans
That's very obscure.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 11:24 AM   #99
Steve
Illuminator

Hans
That's very obscure.
Not at all. I have no doubt that many in this forum got it immediately.
Old 9th February 2018, 11:43 AM   #100
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Hans
Of course it was. You don't expect me to post anything that actually contributes to discussion, do you?

Weirdo.

That's very obscure.
Dude, that's the opening sequence of "The Quest for the Holy Grail."

It's like, the most quoted Monty Python bit ever, and probably one of the most quoted movies ever.

You're an alien, aren't you?

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 12:03 PM   #101
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

........It's like, the most quoted Monty Python bit ever,.......
Well, I wasn't expecting that.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 01:08 PM   #102
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Okay, so the second most quoted...

Look, can we go back out and try this again?
Old 9th February 2018, 01:29 PM   #103
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

We? What do you mean we? We're all individuals you know.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 01:29 PM   #104
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

All right, we'll call it a draw.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 02:07 PM   #105
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

We? What do you mean we? We're all individuals you know.
Alright, probably the third most quoted...

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
All right, we'll call it a draw.
Okay, AMONG the most quotes bits!
Old 9th February 2018, 02:10 PM   #106
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I've never heard of beavers in Africa, but they were reintroduced into Scotland, and various other European territories, after an absence of several centuries. The European beavers were almost extinct a century ago.
Very slightly more massive, on average, than their American cousins.
Yeah, but we still have nutria too.

Didn't you folk eat all of yours?

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2018, 02:32 PM   #107
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Okay, AMONG the most quotes bits!

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time-a!

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2018, 12:54 AM   #108
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Okay, AMONGST the most quotes bits!
FTFY Don't ever say I don't do anything for you. I'm not Roman, you know. I mean, what did they ever do for us?
Old 11th February 2018, 06:48 AM   #109
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

NOBODY expects ....
Old 11th February 2018, 07:03 AM   #110
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

NOBODY expects ....
....something completely different.
Old 11th February 2018, 07:43 AM   #111
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Where did they go? Pining for the fjords?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2018, 08:41 AM   #112
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Wow, picked clean. So what do they taste like?
Chicken.

Though much like the StarKist Tuna slogan is Chicken of the Sea. We call 'em chicken of the garbage can and it sure tastes like that.

(or so I might imagine)

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Not just for breakfast, then?

They mostly are, we try to get these for lunch or dinner...

Heck, so good it died on its own. Got about 600 ft of walking trails I maintain in our back woods. Found the skull just as the spring thaw was setting in some years back. It was below the melting snow and ice, but above the fall leaves. So I figure it must have kicked it just about late fall to the start of winter. It was already pretty clean and I didn't find anything else in the vicinity. So must have died (or got killed) decayed and then got spread around by other animals before the first snow. Bleached it and glued in the teeth and it now sits on display as a warning to the others.

Last edited by The Man; 11th February 2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 02:34 AM   #113
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

More proof that the platypus is not real, as well as an example of the absurd lengths "some governments" will go to, to sustain the myth.

They are now apparently going to use the "Mythical MILK" of an "animal" described as "duck-billed, egg-laying, beaver-tailed and venomous" to save lives.

What will "THEY" come up with next?

Last edited by Cheetah; 15th March 2018 at 02:39 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 03:39 AM   #114
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

More proof that the platypus is not real, as well as an example of the absurd lengths "some governments" will go to, to sustain the myth.

They are now apparently going to use the "Mythical MILK" of an "animal" described as "duck-billed, egg-laying, beaver-tailed and venomous" to save lives.

What will "THEY" come up with next?

What is good is any antibiotic that are developed would be so different that bacteria would have problems evolving to tolerate it.
Old 15th March 2018, 04:30 AM   #115
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

But literally everyone can tolerate Shirley Temple.
Old 15th March 2018, 04:50 AM   #116
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Shirley? Not.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 12:49 PM   #117
smartcooky
Philosopher

I wonder how many people have been spiked by platypodes?
Is that pronounced "plat ee podes" or "plah tip oh dees"?
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal