ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 6th February 2018, 05:42 PM   #1881
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Yeah, Roger said that they tracked Patty for 3.5 miles before losing her sign on pine needles. That would be a slow process to follow whatever sign was being left and might require dismounting numerous times or even doing the whole tracking event on foot while pulling your horse.

Maybe that lie was supposed to tie in with another lie told about Gimlin being a tracker with Indian ancestry. But then that partnership fell apart and the story didn't work out. The rather monumental tracking excursion bit got dumped from the already-inconsistent narrative. The timeline given doesn't even allow for the hours it would have taken to do the tracking trip and then still do everything else.

Gimlin doesn't talk about the tracking and people who question him at lectures seem to know to avoid that subject. The bent stirrup lie is avoided as well.
Old 6th February 2018, 10:32 PM   #1882
Squatchy McSquatch
Thinker

Gimlin was an experienced tracker. So was Bob Titmus.

No explanation required
Squatchy McSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 06:12 AM   #1883
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
And as that's contradiction's long running corollary, one can't bend a stirrup by his horse falling on him. As in it being essentially a physical impossibility. Of course in theory metal stirrups could bend, but in 1968 they weren't using metal stirrups on their western saddles, they had already bent wood (of all things) stirrups. A closer look at any of the clear video of P & G on their horses should show what stirrups they used. Those wood stirrups are basically bullet proof. A fully shod 1,500# horse could bounce up and down on just one of them with all four hooves at once and probably never affect it.

Proving your point, it's just a stupid detail RP made up that he thought gave it credibility (i.e. why would they say a stirrup bent if it didn't actually happen and who would really question it if it didn't) that he could never take back. Gimlin was right, there was no horse rearing or falling or bending going on, but their story had to have some kind of unique, definitive detail and Bob definitely wasn't hired on as creative director.
So what bent stirrup was Patterson showing to people then? Patterson was even limping, apparently. What was Patterson's prop stirrup?

https://books.google.com/books?id=0_...tirrup&f=false

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 07:08 AM   #1884
Drewbot
Philosopher

How about this?

Roger is fooling people, so he grabs a cheap metal stirrup from a rocking horse, bends it, and carries it around with him to show the "RUBES" the evidence of the horse falling on him. He would never show that to a real outdoor person, because they'd laugh at him.

Here is the exact stirrup I'm thinking of.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-195....c100012.m1985
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 08:23 AM   #1885
GT/CS
Illuminator

Most riders use stirrups they like, and have owned for years, just like their boots. Roger may have been using stirrups he’d had forever, or he may have even made his own.
Or, since he was using Bob’s horse he may have bent Bob’s stirrup, which sounds like something he would do.

Last edited by GT/CS; 7th February 2018 at 08:25 AM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 08:47 AM   #1886
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
He would never show that to a real outdoor person, because they'd laugh at him.
A "real outdoor person" wouldn't laugh if that person was already a Bigfoot believer. Patterson understood the psychology of Bigfooters and so he only associated with them. Gimlin still does the same thing.
Old 7th February 2018, 12:07 PM   #1887
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
A "real outdoor person" wouldn't laugh if that person was already a Bigfoot believer. Patterson understood the psychology of Bigfooters and so he only associated with them. Gimlin still does the same thing.
A real outdoor person, wouldn't be a Bigfoot believer. They might be part of the hoax, but for my point, a 'real outdoor person' doesn't include Bigfoot Believers.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 05:51 PM   #1888
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
So what bent stirrup was Patterson showing to people then? Patterson was even limping, apparently. What was Patterson's prop stirrup?
It's funny, I laugh at the board sometimes when people debate endlessly (or it just feels like that) about the tiniest of (mostly inconsequential) details of something and now I seem to be right in there doing just that. I apologize.

So anyway, with no picture of him doing it we don't know that he showed anyone anything stirrup-wise, it just says he did. Even if he did show somebody something, who knows what it was from. And he could be limping from the horse falling on him in general, independent of his foot. Or his wife coulda kicked him in the balls the night before.

It's true that bendable metal stirrups do exist and they even make a metal stirrup called a bent stirrup. That they're also called 'stirrups' is their only relation to this though. My contention is (and has been) that considering the kind of saddles they were inevitably using, western saddles, they had stirrups that can't actually be re-bent (and stay re-bent) once they're initially created (as bent wood). They would break long before deforming permanently. Akin to trying to reduce the size of your kitchen sink by squeezing it real hard. That is to say there's ALWAYS been a huge missing piece in this puzzle and it's exactly what you think it is, the so-called bent stirrup. It's because it doesn't exist, just like the beast.

How about this?

Roger is fooling people, so he grabs a cheap metal stirrup from a rocking horse, bends it, and carries it around with him to show the "RUBES" the evidence of the horse falling on him. He would never show that to a real outdoor person, because they'd laugh at him.

Here is the exact stirrup I'm thinking of.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-195....c100012.m1985
And even potentially true, but again the idea he'd somehow be using metal stirrups on their saddles in the manner they ride makes no sense whatsoever. Equivalent to the notion of deliberately putting street tires on a motorcycle for use off-roading. Metal stirrups would be dumb (low bearing surface area), and in 1968 especially, quite antithetical to their being self described cowboys who use western saddles.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 06:18 PM   #1889
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

So anyway, with no picture of him doing it we don't know that he showed anyone anything stirrup-wise, it just says he did. Even if he did show somebody something, who knows what it was from...
He showed the bent stirrup to Al Hodgson and Syl McCoy. Hodgson would go on to recall and talk about it without ever asking, "what stirrup are you talking about, Roger never showed me a bent stirrup".

I think that Patterson purposely bent a stirrup to show local Bigfooters right after the claimed filming. It certainly didn't have to come from the actual saddle that he had been using - that was still back at Bluff Creek with the horses. I don't know if Patterson did go on to show others the stirrup or brought it to lectures and the film roadshow.
Old 7th February 2018, 06:22 PM   #1890
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

and in 1968 especially,
It was 1967, FWIW.
Old 8th February 2018, 01:22 PM   #1891
The Shrike
Illuminator

So the horse tumbles over (and is this little Peanuts we're talking about here?) and presumably lands on its side, trapping the stirrup beneath . . . its ribs? The stirrup bends but no mention of cracked ribs for the horse?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 02:18 PM   #1892
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

It was 1967, FWIW.
I knew that.

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
So the horse tumbles over (and is this little Peanuts we're talking about here?) and presumably lands on its side, trapping the stirrup beneath . . . its ribs? The stirrup bends but no mention of cracked ribs for the horse?
Exactly! In addition to western saddles not even possessing the necessary elements, the practical application of the forces required to bend any kind of in-use saddle stirrup makes the premise of his horse falling on him and "bending" one completely absurd. The actual forces needed would kill both horse and rider long before any stirrup bending occurs. Which shouldn't really be a surprise considering Patterson is a literal king of absurd premises.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 03:00 PM   #1893
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I make my own saddles and stirrups. Look at this stirrup I made that was bent when my horse fell on me when I filmed the Bigfoot.

Yeah, I see. That stirrup looks like it's more flimsy and bendable compared to the ones you buy.

Yeah, but I don't buy anything that I can make myself.
Old 8th February 2018, 05:56 PM   #1894
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I knew that.
You were just testing me to see if I was powered on and paying attention.
Old 12th February 2018, 02:26 PM   #1895
jerrywayne
Muse

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
I'm sure old timers here have seen this interview, Green questioning Gimlin, but for any newbies, Gimlin changes up the storyline a bit -- Patterson's horse didn't take a fall:

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/interviews/john.htm

Last edited by jerrywayne; 12th February 2018 at 02:28 PM.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 03:32 PM   #1896
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
I'm sure old timers here have seen this interview, Green questioning Gimlin, but for any newbies, Gimlin changes up the storyline a bit -- Patterson's horse didn't take a fall:

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/interviews/john.htm
The stirrup story just got a lot worse (even if he did fall), he was mounted on sheep. Gimlin: "...this wasn't a full size horse Roger was riding either. It was a pony, a small horse." Green replies: "Yeah I've seen those little horses, he used to haul them in a Volkswagen bus." Amateur stirrup bending isn't a game for little horses.
Old 13th February 2018, 03:13 PM   #1897
jerrywayne
Muse

Move over "wood apes." Now we have Forest Yetis. Anyway, Gimlin comments on state cryptid issue:
http://www.thenorthernlight.com/2018...ion-yet-again/
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 09:19 PM   #1898
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Move over "wood apes." Now we have Forest Yetis. Anyway, Gimlin comments on state cryptid issue:
They're aiming pretty low with Washington state. Forest "Gump" Yeti™, the Official Cryptid of Amazon® would be way more fruitful.
Old 14th February 2018, 12:53 PM   #1899
GT/CS
Illuminator

She'd probably have better luck with the PNW Tree Octopus.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...wiki&FORM=IGRE
Old 14th February 2018, 01:00 PM   #1900
CORed
Philosopher

It wouldn't be totally unprecedented. IIRC, Wyoming declared the jackalope to be its official "mythical beast".

There is considerably more evidence for the existence of jackalopes than there is for bigfeets. Damn near every bar or touristy restaurant in the state has the head of one mounted on the wall.

Last edited by CORed; 14th February 2018 at 01:01 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 01:26 PM   #1901
jerrywayne
Muse

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
It wouldn't be totally unprecedented. IIRC, Wyoming declared the jackalope to be its official "mythical beast".

There is considerably more evidence for the existence of jackalopes than there is for bigfeets. Damn near every bar or touristy restaurant in the state has the head of one mounted on the wall.
My ex-wife, a graduate from Yale no less, once took a trip out west and proudly brought back a jackalope postcard and told me she had viewed a stuffed jackalope at a gas station. She knew I would be excited since I was interested in cryptids. I replied by starting off with a snarky "You're a graduate of Yale, right?, and you think ....."
Old 14th February 2018, 01:51 PM   #1902
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

My ex-wife, a graduate from Yale no less, once took a trip out west and proudly brought back a jackalope postcard and told me she had viewed a stuffed jackalope at a gas station. She knew I would be excited since I was interested in cryptids. I replied by starting off with a snarky "You're a graduate of Yale, right?, and you think ....."
The Bigfoot version.....you graduated from grade school right?, and you think there's a giant monkey man roaming the U.S.?
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 04:06 PM   #1903
CORed
Philosopher

Well, I think the rule for jackalopes is that none of the locals seriously believe they are real, but it is perfectly acceptable to try to convince gullible tourists that they are real.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:43 AM   #1904
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Well, I think the rule for jackalopes is that none of the locals seriously believe they are real, but it is perfectly acceptable to try to convince gullible tourists that they are real.
That is the rule for any folk-story.

Snipe hunt being the base-line. Gullible scouts go to summer camp for the first time, older scouts and adults convince the younger ones that the Snipe is a real creature, even to the point of getting the younger ones to carry a paper bag around to look for it.

Locals in Petoskey area of Michigan would tell people to beware of cougars in the area all the way back to the 70's, despite the complete lack of cougars in lower Michigan at that time.

Likewise in Petoskey area, locals would tell of Native Americans still living in the woods, bending trees. They even knew where to go to show you where the bent trees were.

Rochester Michigan in the 70's, at that time, it was suburb still being carved out of the woods, anyone who lived near the woods would try to convince the city folk that they could see Bigfoot walking along the edge of the tree line. First hand account of locals making fake bigfoot tracks in the woods.
Old 26th March 2018, 05:41 AM   #1905
Drewbot
Philosopher

Does anyone remember the link or article that broke down the Patterson tracks starting with the Shipton Print, talking about how Krantz made it into the Sasquatch, and Roger Patterson took it from there.

It was very detailed, and explained how the Yeti folklore came from Asia to the Western US.

It also was detailed about the british expeditions to the himalayas to search for the yeti.
Old 26th March 2018, 06:05 AM   #1906
Drewbot
Philosopher

Forget it, I found it
http://www.thebermudatriangle.org/ht..._jury-rig.html

GIGANTOPITHECUS THE JURY RIGGED BIGFOOT
Old 30th March 2018, 05:03 PM   #1907
jerrywayne
Muse

Forget it, I found it
http://www.thebermudatriangle.org/ht..._jury-rig.html

GIGANTOPITHECUS THE JURY RIGGED BIGFOOT
I like reading Gian J. Quasar on Bigfoot. But beware. He replaces the standard Bigfootville narrative with his own even more fantastic ideas. He thinks Sasquatch is an anthropoid monkey. He links it to this hoax https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Loys%27_Ape

Quasar thinks the humanlike Bigfoot tracks are fakes, while the Ruby Creek tracks are real. He sees those tracks as monkey-like (although giant), even though when Green took a tracing of a track to a zoologist he was told it was bear. Gian argues that the De Loys monkey (not ape) migrated out of South America northward.

Quasar also toys with the idea that the more human-like Sasquatch reports are relict Neanderthals, so we have two types of Sasquatch.

He is rational about the nonsense of the standard Bigfoot is Giganto narrative, but red hot for his own made up bunkum. An interesting, one of a kind fella.
Old 29th July 2018, 10:13 AM   #1908
DennyT
Illuminator

I read the first part of the book where he blames Titmus for making Green believe that the Chapman track tracing was congruent with the Crew cast...that is a little hard to believe since Green visited Crew shortly after the Bigfoot story broke. Green could and should have seen for himself that they were different. Of course Meldrum thinks the Wallace prints and the Patterson tracks are both real and from the same Bigfoot.
I then skimmed through the second half where he tries to make sense of the worlds hominid legends etc and comes up with the giant monkey from South America!?

Last edited by DennyT; 29th July 2018 at 10:18 AM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2018, 04:32 PM   #1909
DennyT
Illuminator

Richard Henry has died. He visited the film site with Jim McClarin a couple weeks after the claimed date of filming. In 2004 he visited Bluff Creek with Perez and drew a diagram of what he had seen in 1967. Oddly, Perez seems to have taken him to the wrong “film site,” a hundred or so yards downstream from the right spot.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 01:46 PM   #1910
DennyT
Illuminator

According to Gimlin, Patterson went to Seattle to study gorillas, notably Bobo, whose amazing story is here: https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/...ntent?oid=4922
Old 11th August 2018, 06:05 PM   #1911
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Yeah, Roger said that they tracked Patty for 3.5 miles before losing her sign on pine needles. That would be a slow process to follow whatever sign was being left and might require dismounting numerous times or even doing the whole tracking event on foot while pulling your horse.

Maybe that lie was supposed to tie in with another lie told about Gimlin being a tracker with Indian ancestry. But then that partnership fell apart and the story didn't work out. The rather monumental tracking excursion bit got dumped from the already-inconsistent narrative. The timeline given doesn't even allow for the hours it would have taken to do the tracking trip and then still do everything else.
My attention was diverted for some months and I missed this post, of keen interest to me.

This was my explanation for why they had to immediately leave Bluff Creek after telling their story. The tracks don't match up with the story. People can ask questions with the tracks right in front of them. The tracks are going to show a flim scene with an actor, with the tracks ending where the film clip ends.

There aren't going to be horse tracks following bigfoot tracks, not even ten feet from the end of the Pattywalk, let alone 3.5 miles, lol. Bob Heironimus says they did hoax tracks after filming the PGF, but my God 3.5 miles of them including horses, no way.

John Green is the most important immediate target of the PGF. Rene Dahinden is a close second. Then you have the Canadian bigfoot guide, leader of an expedition that never happened (Dahinden) and the writer/publisher, the peddler of bigfoot pulp fiction (Green). Those two have alredy been working together for many years.

Jim McLaren was at Humboldt State as a student and aspiring bigfoot hunter, and Dahinden had relocated to Willow Creek as a now international bigfoot hunter. Those two went together to see the PGF.

Isn't that amazing, that they got the very front-line people from the immediate vicinity more than a full day's drive away! Got the hunters out of the forest just in time.

Lyle Laverty, forest service worker, gets there three days after the hoax, and neither Patterson nor Gimlin are around needing to explain any tracks. He seems to have relished his role as first-responder and adds his own signature to the hoax, so to speak. The tracks will completely disappear, the first responder has quite a bit of street cred in bigfoot world. Big incentive to lie for bigfoot.

It's all such fascinating history.
AlaskaBushPilot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2018, 11:07 AM   #1912
DennyT
Illuminator

I find it interesting that the PGF got very little interest from American and Canadian scientists, but that years later Dahinden was able to get up some interest in it in England and Russia.

First of all I don’t think the Russians had anything scientific to say. But it is my impression that Europeans have (in the past at least) had a rather romantic idea of North America, as a persistently wild and unexplored continent. This allows for the possibility of all sorts of large cryptids still undiscovered. In a way the same fantasy allows for the believers in this country to show aerial photos of trees as proof of Bigfoot habitat. So it is not so surprising to me that some English researchers decided to take the PGF seriously.

The elephant in the room for the believers of course is that every state and the feds have substantial wildlife departments whose job it is to find count track photograph protect and exploit animals, using every bit of scientific and tech equipment available. Not to mention our amazing universities and their faculties. Not to mention those who explore our lands for private commercial use and the immense amount of roadkill we generate.

Last edited by DennyT; 12th August 2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 13th August 2018, 07:33 AM   #1913
DennyT
Illuminator

Quote:
But it is my impression that Europeans have (in the past at least) had a rather romantic idea of North America, as a persistently wild and unexplored continent. This allows for the possibility of all sorts of large cryptids still undiscovered.. ...
The major culprit in this later wave of evaluation was Don Grieve, who leaped to both a questionable opinion about Patty’s size and an untenable conclusion that Patty COULD NOT be a man in a suit if the frame speed was 16-18/sec. AND OF COURSE HE DIDNT SHOW HIS WORK on the latter. As a result his conclusions have been parroted by the rubes and con men for 40 some years. A RARE KUDO to Don Jeff for finally publishing enough information in SLMS to allow the less stupid to see what Grieve actually did.

Last edited by DennyT; 13th August 2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 13th August 2018, 05:19 PM   #1914
DennyT
Illuminator

$14.95 plus S and H gets you a sexy pic of that dreamboat Bob. Choice of three hunky cowboy poses. Autographed! Or pick up his bio on CD!!
“Bob Gimlin, the man, the myth, the legend. He has an incredible Bigfoot story to tell.
There will be several new updates, make sure you check back often to see what is new, you are NOT going to want to miss a thing!”
bobgimlindotnet...
Old 13th August 2018, 08:08 PM   #1915
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

After all the years out in the cold, Bob Gimlin is finaly cashing in, sort of.
AlaskaBushPilot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 04:49 AM   #1916
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
My attention was diverted for some months and I missed this post, of keen interest to me.

This was my explanation for why they had to immediately leave Bluff Creek after telling their story. The tracks don't match up with the story. People can ask questions with the tracks right in front of them. The tracks are going to show a flim scene with an actor, with the tracks ending where the film clip ends.

There aren't going to be horse tracks following bigfoot tracks, not even ten feet from the end of the Pattywalk, let alone 3.5 miles, lol. Bob Heironimus says they did hoax tracks after filming the PGF, but my God 3.5 miles of them including horses, no way.

John Green is the most important immediate target of the PGF. Rene Dahinden is a close second. Then you have the Canadian bigfoot guide, leader of an expedition that never happened (Dahinden) and the writer/publisher, the peddler of bigfoot pulp fiction (Green). Those two have alredy been working together for many years.

Jim McLaren was at Humboldt State as a student and aspiring bigfoot hunter, and Dahinden had relocated to Willow Creek as a now international bigfoot hunter. Those two went together to see the PGF.

Isn't that amazing, that they got the very front-line people from the immediate vicinity more than a full day's drive away! Got the hunters out of the forest just in time.

Lyle Laverty, forest service worker, gets there three days after the hoax, and neither Patterson nor Gimlin are around needing to explain any tracks. He seems to have relished his role as first-responder and adds his own signature to the hoax, so to speak. The tracks will completely disappear, the first responder has quite a bit of street cred in bigfoot world. Big incentive to lie for bigfoot.

It's all such fascinating history.
The most unusual thing to me is the lack of response to the site by the footers of the day.

Laverty just happened to be there, otherwise, basically no one went to the site to check out the story, or even just to document it, or to try to get on Patty's trail, etc.

If you believe the story, wouldn't you want to get out there pronto?

Titmus does get there, but not for a week or so, and he has trouble finding the exact spot. And he apparently doesn't bother to bring a camera, even though he's going to the holy grail site.

The site is basically ignored by footers, who had no problem getting out to see the movie Roger was showing.

Months go by before anyone tries to document the site properly.

It's a very ho-hum attitude, imo.

The only reason I can think for the behavior is that Roger was a known con-man, and the suspicion was too high for actual belief in Roger's story and movie.

Patterson and Gimlin show little interest in getting back to the area for another try.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 14th August 2018 at 04:51 AM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 10:17 AM   #1917
DennyT
Illuminator

None of the footers doubted the story. They believed Patterson completely even before they saw the film. The only reason that Green went there and got the measurements the next year was to try to determine exactly how big Patty was. Dahinden and Byrne went there to get photos and measurements in the 7O’s only after the film was about to die for lack of interest. There was never an attempt to really investigate the film. What data they collected they were incompetent to analyze.
Still true 50 years later.
Rinse and repeat...
Old 14th August 2018, 10:24 AM   #1918
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know...

If I believed Bigfoot had just been seen and filmed, I think I'd go to the site as soon as I could, with a camera and casting supplies.

Even today if I heard that bigfoot had been seen and filmed nearby, I'd probably go and take a look at the area.

Old 14th August 2018, 11:00 AM   #1919
DennyT
Illuminator

Dahinden somehow got from SF to Willow Creek in 12 hours at night without a car!!
He left Willow Creek when he had no way to get to the film site, didn’t know where it was, and Roger was leaving, promising him a look at the film in Yakima. McClarin went with him.
Green was hundreds of miles away and had no money or support and had already been to Bluff Creek twice that fall. Titmus was poorer than any of them and he was also in B.C. He came after going to the showing and almost couldn’t find the spot. McClarin came also a few days later. He was a penniless student without a vehicle.
The idea that measurements and photos might matter was beyond their pay grade. They “knew” Patterson already had the necessary data. Some didn’t even have cameras. Titmus did some casts. Looked around and pretended to be an expert tracker (which everyone knew he wasn’t) and brought in his nonexpert brother in law to walk up and down.
These people were dopes and committed cultists.

Last edited by DennyT; 14th August 2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 14th August 2018, 01:00 PM   #1920
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

They had a pilot who was footer, though.

http://www.cryptozoonews.com/be-titmus/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal