ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags big cats , cougars , cryptozoology

Old 18th January 2016, 10:21 AM   #841
dmaker
Graduate Poster

^ Thanks, Shrike.

So all cougars found in Ontario would be P. c. couguar, unless escaped members of one of the five Latin American subspecies? Or possibly an escaped P. c. coryi if one were to have had one as a pet? Probably quite a stretch for the latter two examples.

Last edited by dmaker; 18th January 2016 at 10:23 AM.
dmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2016, 12:24 PM   #842
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
So all cougars found in Ontario would be P. c. couguar, unless escaped members of one of the five Latin American subspecies? Or possibly an escaped P. c. coryi if one were to have had one as a pet? Probably quite a stretch for the latter two examples.
Yes, although escapes/releases of the Latin American subspecies are well-documented.

The tricky part concerns how well the taxonomists have delineated subspecies in northern Canada. It's a bit more plausible for a few remnant eastern cats to have persisted in northern Ontario or Quebec than in Kentucky or Virginia. Thusfar, all confirmed North American cougars in eastern North America have been the western subspecies.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2016, 12:37 PM   #843
Arisia
Graduate Poster

The wilder parts of Ontario and maybe even Quebec and Labrador would be the only places I can imagine a remnant population of the Eastern subspecies could exist unobserved. Doesn't change the fact that the Eastern subspecies is extinct in the US, of course.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2016, 06:23 PM   #844
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Arisia View Post
The wilder parts of Ontario and maybe even Quebec and Labrador would be the only places I can imagine a remnant population of the Eastern subspecies could exist unobserved.
Agreed, but even way up there it's problematic to envision them going undetected amid fur trade pressure and even subsistence use by First Nations people. Then there's the fact that as you get too far north into the boreal conditions favor lynx moreso than pumas. In other words, pumas might never have been all that common in the boreal forest, at least east of the Rockies.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 09:06 PM   #845
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...lared-extinct/

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2018, 08:05 AM   #846
paulhutch
Master Poster

Hurray, science wins over pseudoscience!
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 10:34 AM   #847
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Not the Eastern Cougar, but I didn't know where else to put the story of a cougar knocking on your back door.

https://www.toacorn.com/articles/p-55-back-in-the-news/

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 03:03 PM   #848
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

We'll see if this new California photo gets used for an Eastern cougar hoax. It's been done many times before.
Old 21st February 2018, 07:49 AM   #849
Drewbot
Philosopher

<< GIANT WOLF ATTACKS HUGE BLACK PANTHER >>

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b01_1519057250
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2018, 04:18 PM   #850
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I'll just leave this here.
http://globegazette.com/news/nationa...6a09a8d6f.html

Chesley B. Sullenberger III
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2018, 04:43 PM   #851
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
<< GIANT WOLF ATTACKS HUGE BLACK PANTHER >>

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b01_1519057250
https://www.theonion.com/biologists-...mpression=true

Chesley B. Sullenberger III
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2018, 07:26 AM   #852
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Citizens and police both misidentified a cougar in Washington - a place where cougars actually do exist.

Originally Posted by Oregon Live
...Finally, on Saturday morning, Battle Ground police received another report of a cougar sighting at 9:30 a.m., near the 300 block of NE 10th Street. This sighting, police said in a news release, was confirmed by photos, which they circulated to the news media while noting that the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife was monitoring the situation.

By Saturday evening, however, Battle Ground police sent out another news release:

"The photos provided by the reporting party of what was thought to be a juvenile cougar, has now proven to be nothing more than a house cat a very substantial and fine looking cat indeed - but a house cat nonetheless."

The cat, katu.com reported, is named Ranger...
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/..._cougar_s.html
Old 12th July 2018, 01:06 PM   #853
DennyT
Illuminator

There are certainly dozens of mountain lions in N. Cal and some are seen, but most reports are false, mistaken for house cats, coyotes and other small fauna.

Last edited by DennyT; 12th July 2018 at 01:11 PM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 01:57 PM   #854
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Estimates put the mountain lion population in California at 4,000-6,000. I live in the Santa Cruz mountains, and there are probably around 500, some of which are spotted and photographed. Recently, one killed my friend's pet cat in front of an eye witness. They mostly hide and prey at night.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 09:18 AM   #855
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Young bigfoot must be at great risk.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal