ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th May 2018, 11:37 PM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Playing an Instrument while White?

Quote:
A man approached by police who thought he had a gun was in fact playing his bassoon.

Someone called emergency services to report a man sitting on a car with a weapon in Springfield in Ohio, America, on April 5.

But when officers arrived at the scene, they found musician Eric Barga, 22, playing some scales on his bassoon.
I'm guessing the musician was White otherwise he would have been shot. (The only pictures with the article I saw were stock photos.)

https://au.news.yahoo.com/police-cal...043749199.html

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 01:04 AM   #2
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
I'm guessing the musician was White otherwise he would have been shot. (The only pictures with the article I saw were stock photos.)

https://au.news.yahoo.com/police-cal...043749199.html
Skin tone confirmed here,

Quote:
I wonder if the caller was black? If so were they being racist?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 04:18 AM   #3
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

I notice he wasn't shot. Not even arrested and spent days in jail while the police confirmed it was a musical instrument.

Are we sure this happened in the US?
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 05:50 AM   #4
dann
Illuminator

At a distance, I can see why you might mistake a bassoon for a bazooka!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:12 AM   #5
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I wonder if the caller was black? If so were they being racist?
The short answer to that would be 'maybe'. The longer answer gets into the difference between individual acts of racism vs. institutional racism, and also involves a side discussion about the difference between anecdotes and data.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:30 AM   #6
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I am pleased that justice prevailed and I am glad he was not shot. Good thing he was not playing bagpipes, which would have justified any action by the police!

The definition of a gentleman: someone who knows how to play thee bagpipes... but doesn't.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:49 AM   #7
Doubt
Philosopher

Probably just a double reed bigot.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:51 AM   #8
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Well, a bassoon is called fagot(to) in many languages.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 09:08 AM   #9
Stankeye
Thinker

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
I notice he wasn't shot. Not even arrested and spent days in jail while the police confirmed it was a musical instrument.

That's because he did the stupid white guy smile. You bring up an interesting point with your sarcasm. Are interactions with law enforcement down to your attitude when confronted with them?
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 09:19 AM   #10
crescent
Master Poster

I once found a bassoon case laying in the road. I opened it and found a pair of rifles.

Okay, it was a rifle case, laying in a dirt road near a shooting range (it had fallen off someone's trailer). But before I opened it, I tried to convince myself that it was a bassoon, because nobody would be dumb enough to lose a rifle case and not notice (they eventually did notice and came back).

I wonder if they ran his ID, or his plates. I wonder if they glassed him from a distance before approaching.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 10:53 AM   #11
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post

If your boss **** talked you when you ********** up, then sit talked you when you didn't, how hard would you try to improve?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 11:30 AM   #12
mgidm86
Illuminator

This article shows photos of the guy playing on his car. It shows what the bassoon looks like. It would be pretty hard to mistake it for a gun, especially when a guy is blowing into it and producing sound from it.

But they also say the dispatcher has a lot to do with the call, as we've heard before in other cases.

https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/n...sPWZoNPNydoZL/

Quote:
In an unofficial review of the incident at the request of the Springfield News-Sun, Springfield Police Chief Lee Graf said the difference in how police calls turn out in this era of heightened awareness of the danger of firearms begins with the dispatchers.

“In this case, you have a citizen saying, ‘Hey, it doesn't look right to me,’” along with a stated uncertainty about whether the object was a rifle, he said.

With this information, “The officers know it’s possible” that there is a threat, he said, “but it could be something innocent.” Another piece of information on the dispatch records communicates a lower level of threat, he said. Instead of being classified as a call involving a weapon, the call was dispatched as a “possible suspicious activity.”
A well dressed guy sitting on his nice little Prius or whatever that car is - playing an oboe in broad daylight. Sorry folks, you're going to have to try harder.

Every day at ISF it's the same thing now, another new story presented in an attempt to prove that there is racism. Yes, there is racism, always has been.

What exactly do you want to show? That all white people are racist? That all cops are? We know racism exists so I just don't see what all of these mundane stories are supposed to prove.

If you want to prove that race relations are worse then you are going to need statistics, not these stupid one-off cherry-picked maybe-maybe not stories.

This place is getting really boring. Look, we blamed dispatch a lot in the Tamir Rice BB gun case. This article "blames" the tone of the call on the dispatcher who provided info to the cops. They were not alarmed to begin with because dispatch told them what the caller said.

One of the cops commented to another as they approached the guy "Is that an oboe or a bassoon?" They could see it was not a gun from a distance.

There is nothing to prove in these stories because they are all different. Different states, cities, people, crime rates, time of day, situations.

The only story that is clear recently is the one of the black guy wearing the MAGA hat in a Cheesecake factory who was chased out by employees for being a Trump supporter. That is the only story where a clear case of bigotry (against a conservative) is seen, and it's a black Trump supporter. And who was he targeted by again? Hilarious!

Compare that to the Starbucks, Yale, and other similar threads here where it can be argued that there was no racism at all. Then we have a woman who says a cop was racist and even cried on video for all to see - until the body cam footage came out and showed her to be lying.

Ya, that's about all these stories and threads are good for, making race relations even worse.

Last edited by mgidm86; 16th May 2018 at 11:32 AM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 11:39 AM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
This article shows photos of the guy playing on his car. It shows what the bassoon looks like. It would be pretty hard to mistake it for a gun, especially when a guy is blowing into it and producing sound from it.....
We have to try harder? I believe people are trying to find cops over-reacting to white people for the benefit of those who say dangerous police bias is not happening.

They did not approach with guns drawn.

They took more than a couple seconds to judge the situation.

They didn't yell at the guy to get out of the car and on the ground before approaching.

See any kind of pattern there?
Old 16th May 2018, 12:43 PM   #14
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

A little know fact, bassoons make for a pretty good mortar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortar_(weapon)
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 03:05 PM   #15
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They did not approach with guns drawn.

They took more than a couple seconds to judge the situation.

They didn't yell at the guy to get out of the car and on the ground before approaching.

See any kind of pattern there?
No. What am I missing?
Old 16th May 2018, 03:40 PM   #16
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
... Ya, that's about all these stories and threads are good for, making race relations even worse.
Nice sweeping generalization to end a rant about... sweeping generalizations.

Anecdotes may have value by citing concrete examples of events known to be very statistically significant, helping illustrate and bring the mind to focus on the broader issue at hand. Threads about such events are the way to bring that about.

"There be racism. And?" As is evident from the many, many deaths in which the US has been the proximate cause in the very recent past, with very little noticeable concern among its voters, the dehumanization of the other continues apace in American culture. What drives this behavior is in part a set of beliefs about the right of "those in the right" to impose by force. Such as owning property (slave), or having strategic interests in a foreign land, and everything in between.

Further, as obligatory addendum in light of the rapid decline of the post-War world order, all lessons must be repeated and thoroughly taken to heart anew each generation, else you get primitive, raw Ugluks running around with modern weapons.

tl;dr: Racism persists because hand-waving and moving on only guarantees more of the same, escalating with each generation of weaponry. That's why one "bothers" with all this stuff.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events