ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 16th May 2018, 11:30 AM   #201
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

So, are we saying there was a leftist in this meeting at the white house?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 11:32 AM   #202
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
So, are we saying there was a leftist in this meeting at the white house?
Obama has spies everywhere. Probably left bugs in the WH offices.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:39 AM   #203
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Obama has spies everywhere. Probably left bugs in the WH offices.
Bugs that make jokes about POWs dying?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 12:10 PM   #204
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Or I could just ignore his post like you want to. Lol

You ask for evidence so I just assumed you were continuing the false argument.
The evidence from the Star Tribune was again anecdotal, the memories of one ex-serviceman of what he said went on post Vietnam. The evidence people have been asking for is documentary evidence from the time such as contemporary reports or photos or film footage. This is not to say there wasn't hostility towards some returning soldiers after Vietnam. Given the societal uproar that the war had caused it would be unrealistic to think there was none. But the lack of evidence of the type mentioned above would suggest incidents of direct action being taken against returning vets was the exception rather than the norm. And as was also noted, 20 quotes from a population at the time of about 250 million, now 300 million, is approaching mathematical or statistical irrelevance.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 01:38 PM   #205
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
<snip>

It seems that it doesn't matter how many times you're corrected, you still insist on believing that I'm part of "the left". I wonder what the magic number is - how many times you need to be told something before it sinks in?

∞ ... +1.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 02:04 PM   #206
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Stealing? Yeah sure. Thatís the same language the left would use. Once again, trash our military, then create a wedge.
https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/navy-...ry?id=21232519

Quote:
An Ohio judge today sentenced the mastermind of a $100 million charity scam, who had become a major Republican campaign donor, to 28 years in prison.

[...]

"[It is] difficult to try to measure the amount of harm your greed has caused,Ē said Judge Steven Gall. ďAll the worthy organizations that count on small donations from good citizens to help further their cause ... they are now struggling for money because people are afraid to give."

Cody spoke briefly before hearing his prison sentence and being slapped with a fine of more than $6 million for overseeing a bogus charity called the U.S. Navy Veterans Association, which preyed on people's sympathy for American military veterans at a time of war. He offered no apology.
Stealing a 9-figure sum that was intended for veterans.
Old 16th May 2018, 02:05 PM   #207
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Or I could just ignore his post like you want to. Lol
Why do you think I would want to?

Quote:
You ask for evidence so I just assumed you were continuing the false argument.
Yes, you made it up. Perhaps you should stop doing that and instead try dealing with reality.

The same goes for the first quoted part. Try using your imagination less, and try working with actual facts more. It's not quite as easy, but it's much more fulfilling.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 16th May 2018 at 02:08 PM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 02:06 PM   #208
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
The evidence from the Star Tribune was again anecdotal, the memories of one ex-serviceman of what he said went on post Vietnam. The evidence people have been asking for is documentary evidence from the time such as contemporary reports or photos or film footage.
The article lists contemporary reports.
Old 16th May 2018, 05:51 PM   #209
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
The evidence from the Star Tribune was again anecdotal, the memories of one ex-serviceman of what he said went on post Vietnam. The evidence people have been asking for is documentary evidence from the time such as contemporary reports or photos or film footage. This is not to say there wasn't hostility towards some returning soldiers after Vietnam. Given the societal uproar that the war had caused it would be unrealistic to think there was none. But the lack of evidence of the type mentioned above would suggest incidents of direct action being taken against returning vets was the exception rather than the norm. And as was also noted, 20 quotes from a population at the time of about 250 million, now 300 million, is approaching mathematical or statistical irrelevance.
Lordy!

The way both sides of the political spectrum treats our military has fundamentally changed specifically because of the way they were treated upon their return from Vietnam. Iím blown away that folks here are now denying that!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 12:07 AM   #210
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Why is everyone going up this street the wrong way????
Old 17th May 2018, 12:14 AM   #211
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
If it is true, whether it is a joke or not is irrelevant.
It may be irrelevant to the more narrow point regarding objections to Haspell, which is not supposed to be the focus of this thread, but it is certainly relevant to the OP.
Old 17th May 2018, 02:22 AM   #212
Parsman
Muse

The article lists contemporary reports.
Sorry, I must have misread the report or missed that bit. Thank you for correcting me. My main point stands however, any bad treatment of returning veterans was terrible but was a limited event.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 05:00 AM   #213
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Letís try and stay closer to this century shall we? Unless you want to keep shooting from the hip?
Then we need go no further back than Trumps statements about gold star families, his treatment of the deceased SF soldier's wife, the continued underfunding of the VA, his conflation of PTSD with "weakness' and his blatant lie of "first raise in 10 years".

Of course there is also such gems from RW commentator Michael Savage decrying PTSD in veterans as a sign of weakness.
Old 17th May 2018, 05:36 AM   #214
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Lordy!

The way both sides of the political spectrum treats our military has fundamentally changed specifically because of the way they were treated upon their return from Vietnam. Iím blown away that folks here are now denying that!
I'm reading the book SPQR about classical Rome right now. The biggest lesson from that book is how mythical understanding of their own history fundamentally shaped how they see themselves.

So yes, groups do fundamentally change over a myth. The change is not evidence it was true.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 06:42 AM   #215
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Then we need go no further back than Trumps statements about gold star families, his treatment of the deceased SF soldier's wife, the continued underfunding of the VA, his conflation of PTSD with "weakness' and his blatant lie of "first raise in 10 years".
Yeah, but that's still just old news. I mean, what has he done to disrespect the military in the last wee.....oh wait. In the last DAY, I mean? I bet you can't find anything like that. Maybe....although that bet wouldn't be too much. I know, I wager a piece of lint and one of the used kleenexes on my desk that you can't find any place where he disrespected the military in the last day. (I won't wager any more than a piece of lint and a used kleenex, though)
Old 17th May 2018, 10:08 AM   #216
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post

Of course there is also such gems from RW commentator Michael Savage decrying PTSD in veterans as a sign of weakness.
All of those are situations where libs wanted to shoot their mouths off. So no, you have nothing.

Savage never really mentioned battle field PTSD. He was more talking about men being raised by their mothers. and he’s correct, most of them are liberals

Last edited by logger; 17th May 2018 at 10:11 AM.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 10:14 AM   #217
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Today I learned that conservatives don't have mothers. Explains why they lack compassion or intelligence, and why they hate the military so much.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 10:20 AM   #218
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Today I learned that conservatives don't have mothers. Explains why they lack compassion or intelligence, and why they hate the military so much.
Old 20th May 2018, 01:58 PM   #219
Toontown
Philosopher

If Trump was a pimple on McCain's ass, McCain would pop him.

Unfortunately, Trump fails to rise to the level of a pimple on McCain's ass. He's just a pimple on the GOP's ass, and they don't have the guts to pop him. Because that would hurt.
Old 20th May 2018, 05:00 PM   #220
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post

Unfortunately, Trump fails to rise to the level of a pimple on McCain's ass. He's just a pimple on the GOP's ass, and they don't have the guts to pop him. Because that would hurt.
He's not a pimple. He's a frackin' tumor. And not a benign one either.
Old 20th May 2018, 05:59 PM   #221
Toontown
Philosopher

I stand corrected.
Old 23rd May 2018, 04:05 PM   #222
mgidm86
Illuminator

Well, if you want to count someone else posting evidence for you as an example of you communicating clearly, then go you, I suppose.
I will now gift my post to Logger who can claim the evidence I posted as his own.

Now you can freely address the evidence provided.

ETA:
I was asked why McCain is a dick. He's been shooting off his mouth and playing sleight of hand with his voting for a while now. He obviously has an issue with Trump. He's not invited to his funeral haha, so there's the pettiness. Hell I can't remember the other recent things, it's not terribly important to me.

I would never make a comment like that and it is in poor taste. But oh well, someone else did and I don't really care. He's a frickin' politician he's used to it.

Last edited by mgidm86; 23rd May 2018 at 04:10 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2018, 06:26 PM   #223
logger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post

Except McCain canít even see it, heíd have to have someone else pop it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics