ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th July 2018, 02:09 PM   #841
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If that's the the most important correction you have to make, the I consider us substantially in agreement on my other points.
Your "points" are your opinions. You're welcome to them.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 02:14 PM   #842
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
All we can know about her is what she has said and done.
The NYT article doesn't really examine any of that, though.

Quote:
Unless you have a crystal ball, nobody can know what she will do. But we can speculate about what she might do.
Her substantial published body of work in the field of law is probably a much better basis for informed speculation, than is her practice of a particular religious discipline in her private life.

Quote:
The fact that she is an extremely inexperienced judge, in comparison with other candidates, should by itself be disqualifying.
Too bad the NYT didn't write a well-researched, informative article raising this concern.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 02:15 PM   #843
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Your "points" are your opinions. You're welcome to them.
Thanks! You're welcome to them, too, if you want them. I notice you didn't disagree with them.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 03:23 PM   #844
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I used to be a media buyer. Election season was a major pain because the candidates get the commercial inventory at the book rate, which is often higher than what private advertisers have negotiated in special quantity deals. This would apply equally to all sides, so at that level there shouldnít be any influence. Similarly, sales departments and editorial are totally separate at almost every station, although this is changing with maniacs like Sinclair.
Well that's closer than any experience I have, so it sounds like it's not very likely that it influences things, at least not much.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 09:25 PM   #845
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Let's be frank,the destruction of Democracy is a goal of many on the right.
You canít destroy something that never existed.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:12 PM   #846
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

President Trump has nominated Brett M. Kavanaugh, a 53 year old Yale Law School Graduate and current D.C. Circuit Court Judge to replace Justice Kennedy.
Old 9th July 2018, 06:13 PM   #847
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Is it just me or does it seem like everything Trump does, he does solely for the purpose of pissing off liberals.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:23 PM   #848
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like everything Trump does, he does solely for the purpose of pissing off liberals.
Not just you.

https://twitter.com/ChrisFrenzy/stat...29749905543168
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 06:25 PM   #849
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c47385...de-abomination

Quote:
5/9/2006 Schumer: "Do you consider Roe v. Wade to be an abomination?"
USER-CREATED CLIP
JULY 5, 2018 Kavanaugh: "If confirmed to the D.C. Circuit, I would follow Roe v. Wade faithfully and fully. That would be binding precedent of the Court. It's been decided by the" #SCOTUS
I think in this case he picked to cover his legal butt.
Old 9th July 2018, 06:36 PM   #850
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Picked a guy that opined that a sitting president should be immune from indictment........I wonder why.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 07:07 PM   #851
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Picked a guy that opined that a sitting president should be immune from indictment........I wonder why.
Jokes on Trump, the Constitutional remedy is impeachment first, indictment second.
Old 10th July 2018, 02:17 AM   #852
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post

Interestingly, he didn't seem to have too much problem with the idea when he worked for Ken Starr.

I wonder what changed his mind?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 02:23 AM   #853
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Interestingly, he didn't seem to have too much problem with the idea when he worked for Ken Starr.

Indeed, I wonder if he would have another Damascene moment should there be a desire from the GOP to indict a Democratic Party president in the future.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:08 AM   #854
Drewbot
Philosopher

Why do you think his mind needed changing? Do you think his boss, at the time, Ken Starr, wanted his 35 year old lawyer to tell him about his personal views on indicting a president?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 08:04 AM   #855
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Jokes on Trump, the Constitutional remedy is impeachment first, indictment second.
Exactly.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 08:49 AM   #856
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Why do you think his mind needed changing? Do you think his boss, at the time, Ken Starr, wanted his 35 year old lawyer to tell him about his personal views on indicting a president?
Short answer - yes.

When preparing a legal opinion on a potentially contentious subject you need to consider both sides of the argument - this allows you to do some evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of both sides and decreases the effect of the "surprise" argument.

Not doing so is called "negligence."
Old 10th July 2018, 04:56 PM   #857
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

Sure. I'd be surprised if he didn't. Unlike Trump minions, Starr wasn't fundamentally incompetent at the job he was chosen for.

And more importantly, I don't think that Ken Starr would have picked Kavenaugh to be a principle author of his final report to Congress on the Clinton-Lewinsky investigation if Kavenaugh was ideologically opposed to the very case that Starr was trying to make.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:06 PM   #858
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Short answer - yes.

When preparing a legal opinion on a potentially contentious subject you need to consider both sides of the argument - this allows you to do some evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of both sides and decreases the effect of the "surprise" argument.

Not doing so is called "negligence."
Is there any evidence that he was negligent?
Old 10th July 2018, 05:31 PM   #859
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Is there any evidence that he was negligent?
I don't think you read that post correctly.
Old 10th July 2018, 05:46 PM   #860
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A little, not much, a little relieved it's Kaveanugh. He's a mainstream Catholic,as opposed to the People Of Priase, which I found scary.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 05:49 PM   #861
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I don't think you read that post correctly.
Then I don't see the problem.
Old 10th July 2018, 06:04 PM   #862
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't want to live in the Republic of Gilead, thank you.
I think a theocracy is too high a price to pay for some tax breaks.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 06:21 PM   #863
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think a theocracy is too high a price to pay for some tax breaks.
LOL. By the time the Supreme Court finishes reinterpreting the Constitution to mean Gilead, you'll be long dead. And the Court will be all liberal. So the reinterpretation never happens. But you'll still be dead. After living a long life. A full life. Full of fear of Gilead.

Last edited by theprestige; 10th July 2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10th July 2018, 06:29 PM   #864
angrysoba
Philosophile

A little, not much, a little relieved it's Kaveanugh. He's a mainstream Catholic,as opposed to the People Of Priase, which I found scary.
I had to look this up. I thought it might be a reference to another sci-fi universe.

Apparently you meant People of Praise - which I had not heard of before. Just out of interest, are there any Supreme Court wannabes in this organization?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 07:34 PM   #865
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I had to look this up. I thought it might be a reference to another sci-fi universe.

Apparently you meant People of Praise - which I had not heard of before. Just out of interest, are there any Supreme Court wannabes in this organization?
Amy Coney Barrett.

Did you design your rock or just find one?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 07:39 PM   #866
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Amy Coney Barrett.

That being said, she would be the hottest supreme court justice since Sandra day was tanning on the roof of the Supreme Court
Old 10th July 2018, 08:14 PM   #867
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post

My hometown of South Bend is crawling with the Charismatics / People of Praise. They even run a high school, Trinity.

Also home to Notre Dame... which is also crawling with Charismatics, I believe.

Last edited by LSSBB; 10th July 2018 at 08:15 PM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2018, 09:19 PM   #868
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I've seen dogs eat ****. So what they think is hot is of no interest to me.
Well then you would certainly be able to identify someone hotter?

Roberts? Taft? Frankfurter?
Old 10th July 2018, 09:43 PM   #869
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

And I donít want to use bees as currency. Neither is at risk of happening.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 06:20 AM   #870
paulhutch
Master Poster

Prof. Volokoh has posted the entire passage from the law review article that talks about prosecuting a sitting president.
https://reason.com/volokh/2018/07/10...utions-of-sitt
The conclusion:
Quote:
This reads to me as simply a policy argument supporting Congressional action, and not a basis for judge-made immunities. But since some have quoted lines from it (usually not focusing on the argument about what Congress should do), I thought I'd quote the whole argument, both for its substantive analysis and for its tone, which strikes me as quite representative of the man.
Based on the first news stories and articles I read I was concerned, after reading the longer excerpt and other neutral articels I'm not now.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 06:22 AM   #871
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Then I don't see the problem.
The problem with what? No one was claiming Ken Starr was being negligent. The only problem is that you didn't read very carefully.
Old 11th July 2018, 09:34 AM   #872
ahhell
Graduate Poster

It might have been that experience which changed his mind or maybe not, maybe he was just doing his job.

Which actually seems to be Kavenaugh's opinion. He seems to think or thought at one point that congress should be running the investigation rather than a special counsel that still technically works for the president and if congress finds the president needs to be indicted they should then impeach him.

It also appears that the legal types don't have a consensus on whether the president can be indicted while in office or if he needs to be impeached first, so Kavenaugh's opinion on the matter is not at all uncommon. It also seems to be something that cuts across ideological lines with both dem and gop lawyers comming down on both sides.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 09:39 AM   #873
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
: confused : The problem with what?
The problem with Kavanaugh working for Starr on the Clinton investigation.
Old 11th July 2018, 10:56 AM   #874
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
It might have been that experience which changed his mind or maybe not, maybe he was just doing his job.

There is a little bit of confusion of terminology here. Impeachment is basically an indictment by the House of Representatives. If it passes then the next step is a trial in the Senate.

Quote:

Which actually seems to be Kavenaugh's opinion. He seems to think or thought at one point that congress should be running the investigation rather than a special counsel that still technically works for the president and if congress finds the president needs to be indicted they should then impeach him.

There is no reason that the investigation cannot be used to provide evidence for Congress to proceed with an indictment, which is what an impeachment by the House would be. And the same evidence can be used in the ensuing trial in the Senate, should the impeachment motion pass.

Quote:

It also appears that the legal types don't have a consensus on whether the president can be indicted while in office or if he needs to be impeached first, so Kavenaugh's opinion on the matter is not at all uncommon. It also seems to be something that cuts across ideological lines with both dem and gop lawyers comming down on both sides.

If a President is impeached by the House of Representatives, then he has been indicted.

It's just a different word for the same thing, because the process is being done by a legislative body for the holder of a particular office instead of by a judge or grand jury. And the only end point of the process is that the person may or may not be removed from that office.

So the question actually being debated is whether or not a President can be indicted by some other process than that of impeachment by the House, with some other potential result aside from being removed from office.

Like being locked up.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:17 AM   #875
ahhell
Graduate Poster

There is no confusion in terminology, people just don't want to write, "indictment other than impeachment" Nobody is seriously arguing that the president can't be indicted by impeachment so nobody is confused when we write, "indicte" rather than "indict by means other than impeachment."

As I understand it there is substantial support among legal scholars that the the president can't be indicted while in office except for an impeachment. There also seems to be plenty of support for the notion that he can.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 11:33 AM   #876
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

As a conservative, I would prefer to avoid activist judges, but of course the American political landscape doesn't always offer me ideal choices. The GOP is barely conservative at all, most of the time. It is what it is.

Kavanaugh's 2nd amendment legal opinions are troubling to me. On the other hand, I suspect there might be a conservative, originalist argument to be made for those. I haven't seen such an argument, and I'm not here to make one. I have no plans to defend Kavanaugh on this point.

That said, it's not like there any originalist progressive judges to choose from. If the slate this time around is dominated by varying flavors of activist judge, I'd prefer one from the conservative side of the spectrum. Obviously. If anyone thinks there's an originalist, non-activist judge I should consider (or that Trump should consider), please let me know their name.

Last edited by theprestige; 11th July 2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:43 AM   #877
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

There is a little bit of confusion of terminology here. Impeachment is basically an indictment by the House of Representatives. If it passes then the next step is a trial in the Senate.
I think what SG was getting at was that if you want to indict the President for a crime, you have to impeach and remove him from office before bringing the criminal indictment.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 01:31 PM   #878
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I think what SG was getting at was that if you want to indict the President for a crime, you have to impeach and remove him from office before bringing the criminal indictment.

That's not the way I read it, but maybe I misunderstood.

That's the question being pondered, whether or not a President can (or should) be able to be indicted by any means aside from the House impeachment process.

To me, there are two different intents. One is if the person in office has committed transgressions which, in the opinion of a majority of the members of Congress, make him unfit to continue in office. The other is if that person has committed crimes under the law, whether Congress sees them as a problem which merits removal or not.

The first is, almost by definition, an intrinsically political process. The other isn't.

Could Trump shoot someone on Fifth Ave. and not be impeached and removed from office by Congress?

For any other Congress, at any other time, I would probably have said no way. But these days I'm not so sure.

Should it be possible to try him in a court of law and let a jury determine his guilt for such a crime?

Yes, I think so. No public official should be above the law. Even the President. No matter how well tamed the two chambers of Congress are.
Old 11th July 2018, 01:37 PM   #879
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Here's the thing.

There's an unwritten, assumed 4th branch (or 5th branch if you want to count the press) at work here; the populace and it holds the ultimate check and balance.

If most people want Trump gone, SCOTUS can almost certainly find a reason to.

If most people want Trump to stay, SCOTUS can almost certainly find a reason for as well.

If we have an engaged, educated voter base checks and balances are only marginally necessary.

If we don't have an engaged, educated voter base checks and balances are only marginally effective.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 11th July 2018 at 01:39 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 01:54 PM   #880
angrysoba
Philosophile

Amy Coney Barrett.

Well, I don't live in the US or pay that much attention to what happens. I am still interested from time to time.

Wow! So there are some pretty wacky people jockeying for places on the court, then.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics