ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th September 2018, 05:35 AM   #1
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Facebook emails

I just got an unsoliceted email from an Instagram account I'd never heard of, which was in Arabic. Following my email client's "Unsubscribe" link, I get taken to Facebook, where I'm greeted with the following message:

Quote:
From time to time, people may send emails to you through Facebook. Examples include when they invite you to an event, tag you in a photo or add you as a friend. If you continue, you'll no longer receive any of these emails. Also, Facebook will no longer use your email address to generate friend suggestions for you and others. We'll still keep a secure record of your email address so we can make sure you don't receive these emails.

Do you want to stop receiving these notifications at [Email address]?

[x] Stop receiving emails from friends through Facebook
The thing is, I don't have a Facebook account, and I never have. I also don't have an Instagram account, and I never have. I also use various script blockers and the like which should prevent anything Facebook related from running on any webpage even if it's embedded in it, and I don't follow links to Facebook.

All my googling turns up is pages talking about how to deactivate your Facebook account or how to stop receiving these emails from Facebook - all of which assume that you have an account. Absolutely nothing about receiving emails from Facebook if you don't have an account.

Anybody else ever encountered this, or similar?
Old 11th September 2018, 05:51 AM   #2
Dabop
Muse

It's a phishing email to get your facebook password (if you had one)- it would take you to 'faceb00k.com' or whatever and ask you to enter your username and password (looks just like facebook.com) and bingo, they now have your username and password

This is why you never ever ever ever ever follow the links in an email (ever)

(Did I mention dont ever do it?? ever?)

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 07:52 AM   #3
Greebo
Thinker

Oh yes and don't forget that if you don't have an account with [insert social media platform / bank/ whatever here] the emails go straight to the bin.

And don't open them / click on any attachments / links ever, ever, ever (unless you want your bank account drained like my brother in law).
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 03:39 AM   #4
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
It's a phishing email to get your facebook password (if you had one)- it would take you to 'faceb00k.com' or whatever and ask you to enter your username and password (looks just like facebook.com) and bingo, they now have your username and password
No, it didn't ask for my username or password. It just had the text above. I'll double-check, but I'm pretty sure it was legitimately Facebook, too, as I did check the url.

Quote:
This is why you never ever ever ever ever follow the links in an email (ever)

(Did I mention dont ever do it?? ever?)
I'm not entirely sure how it does it, but the email client I use has its own "unsubscribe" feature that seems to work even if the emails themselves don't have a link offering to be able to unsubscribe. That's what I used, rather than following any link.

I also think I'm reasonably secure, given that all scripts, etc. on all webpages are disabled by default in my browser. Makes visiting sites that I actually want to allow to run scripts a PITA (especially when they're things like news sites that sometimes try to run hundreds), but it does mean that I'm safer from malware than I otherwise would be.
Old 12th September 2018, 03:45 AM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I just got an unsoliceted email from an Instagram account I'd never heard of, which was in Arabic. Following my email client's "Unsubscribe" link, I get taken to Facebook, where I'm greeted with the following message:

The thing is, I don't have a Facebook account, and I never have. I also don't have an Instagram account, and I never have. I also use various script blockers and the like which should prevent anything Facebook related from running on any webpage even if it's embedded in it, and I don't follow links to Facebook.

All my googling turns up is pages talking about how to deactivate your Facebook account or how to stop receiving these emails from Facebook - all of which assume that you have an account. Absolutely nothing about receiving emails from Facebook if you don't have an account.

Anybody else ever encountered this, or similar?
You mean the unsubscribe link in the email?

If so you've just confirmed your email is active and alive. Expect a lot more spam in the coming weeks and you may find attempts at getting into your online accounts.
Old 12th September 2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You mean the unsubscribe link in the email?
No, my email client has the option to unsubscribe from emails it considers to be spam/unsolicited.
Old 12th September 2018, 09:51 AM   #7
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Just had the chance to check on my own computer - it's definitely the real Facebook that the link goes to, not something with a url that's faking Facebook.
Old 12th September 2018, 05:53 PM   #8
Dabop
Muse

Um what email client are you using, because I have never seen one with a unsubscribe button in the client....
There is often one in the email body...

and sorry, but it still really sounds like a phishing email- can you either put the link up here or better, pm it to me and I will have a quick look (I have a virtual machine that can safely go anywhere)

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 06:17 PM   #9
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Can you screenshot it?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 06:54 PM   #10
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

No, my email client has the option to unsubscribe from emails it considers to be spam/unsolicited.
Such a service has (as far as I know) no way to operate except by replying to the email's origin, which means that you've confirmed your email to the spammer anyway. I would be as hesitant to use that facility as I would to actually click the unsubscribe link in a suspicious email.

It's been said before. If you do not recognise it, if you are not expecting it, if it is from an address that you do not know, do not interact with it in any way except to delete it. If your email client has a junk mail filter, you might consider using that, but do not try to unsubscribe from it in any way whatsoever. Do not try to verify its origin. Delete it immediately. Do nothing else. Do not pass Go.
Old 12th September 2018, 07:42 PM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I know that email clients can have a "Block this sender" button but I've never heard of an "Unsubscribe" button.
Old 12th September 2018, 09:45 PM   #12
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Even unsubscribing from legitimate sources is basically useless. I'm pretty sure nobody has ever successfully unsubscribed from anything.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 03:31 AM   #13
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Even unsubscribing from legitimate sources is basically useless. I'm pretty sure nobody has ever successfully unsubscribed from anything.
I've had 100% success in unsubscribing from any email lists I subscribed to over the past 25 years (yes, I've been using internet email since 1993).
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 04:02 AM   #14
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Um what email client are you using, because I have never seen one with a unsubscribe button in the client....
EMClient.

Quote:
and sorry, but it still really sounds like a phishing email- can you either put the link up here or better, pm it to me and I will have a quick look (I have a virtual machine that can safely go anywhere)
When I'm on my own computer.
Old 13th September 2018, 04:09 AM   #15
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It's been said before. If you do not recognise it, if you are not expecting it, if it is from an address that you do not know, do not interact with it in any way except to delete it.
I did know the address - instagram. It's from @mail.instagram.com

http://blog.wolfmillionaire.com/top-instagram-scams/

Quote:
Official emails from Instagram will only ever come from the email address no-reply@mail.instagram.com or end in @mail.instagram.com.
Old 13th September 2018, 04:11 AM   #16
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
I've had 100% success in unsubscribing from any email lists I subscribed to over the past 25 years (yes, I've been using internet email since 1993).
Me too, although for a decade or so less.
Old 13th September 2018, 04:20 AM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It uses the unsubscribe link it finds in your email:
Quote:

I really like the Unsubscribe links in the v7 beta! =)

(It searches the message for Unsubscribe links and then presents them at the top, in the header, instead of buried in the small print)
So using that feature is the same as clicking on the unsubscribe link in an email.
Old 13th September 2018, 04:21 AM   #18
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I did know the address - instagram. It's from @mail.instagram.com

http://blog.wolfmillionaire.com/top-instagram-scams/
Anything weird looking in the email header?
Old 13th September 2018, 04:54 AM   #19
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Anything weird looking in the email header?
Nope.
Old 13th September 2018, 09:35 AM   #20
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Screenshot:

If you hover over the "Instagram" in the "From" field, it shows the address as "security@mail.instagram.com".
Old 13th September 2018, 03:30 PM   #21
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah, it fakes those addresses. Don't believe it.
Old 13th September 2018, 03:38 PM   #22
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yeah, it fakes those addresses. Don't believe it.
You said "if it is from an address that you do not know". It's not. It's from an address I do know. It's from the address that instagram themselves say is the address they use for official communications.

If the rule is that you don't open any email if it comes from an address you don't know, and you don't open any email if it comes from an address that you do know because it might be spoofed, then you can't open any emails.

And I'll say it again - the link goes to the actual Facebook.

I appreciate why you'd think it's a scam, but I'm really not seeing that that's what the evidence suggests.
Old 13th September 2018, 03:49 PM   #23
Whip
Muse

so an address from an account you don't have and wants to send you to another account you don't have must be real? you can believe whatever you want but I can now see why this scam works.

Last edited by Whip; 13th September 2018 at 03:51 PM.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 05:01 PM   #24
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You said "if it is from an address that you do not know". It's not. It's from an address I do know. It's from the address that instagram themselves say is the address they use for official communications.

If the rule is that you don't open any email if it comes from an address you don't know, and you don't open any email if it comes from an address that you do know because it might be spoofed, then you can't open any emails.

And I'll say it again - the link goes to the actual Facebook.

I appreciate why you'd think it's a scam, but I'm really not seeing that that's what the evidence suggests.
Okay, I'll refine my criteria.

If you don't know what it is and why it is being sent, do not interact with it in any way other than to delete it, or to use your email client's junk mail function.
Old 13th September 2018, 05:24 PM   #25
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
so an address from an account you don't have and wants to send you to another account you don't have must be real?
That's not what I said, now, is it?
Old 13th September 2018, 05:48 PM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Facebook sends you an email. They provide a link to a page where you can tell Facebook to stop sending emails to your address.

How is this so mysterious and complicated as to generate a thread of more than two posts at max?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 05:52 PM   #27
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Facebook didn't send the email.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 12:38 AM   #28
Tolls
Illuminator

They may not have, but they do own Instagram.
Isn't all their stuff tied together (I have no idea)?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 01:25 AM   #29
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Facebook sends you an email. They provide a link to a page where you can tell Facebook to stop sending emails to your address.

How is this so mysterious and complicated as to generate a thread of more than two posts at max?
What's strange about it is that it's purportedly an email that I received because of my Facebook account. I don't have a Facebook account.
Old 14th September 2018, 02:54 AM   #30
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What's strange about it is that it's purportedly an email that I received because of my Facebook account. I don't have a Facebook account.
Can you copy the header and past it here?
Old 14th September 2018, 03:09 AM   #31
Dabop
Muse

He sent it to me, and it does appear to be a legit email from Instagram, it appears to me that someone tried or did set up an account (instagram) using his email address, was then having issues logging in, and Instagram sent a email basically saying "we can see you are having trouble logging in, we can help you to log in or reset your password" in Arabic, with the standard "if you wish to stop receiving these emails link (also in Arabic) which is what his 'unsubscribe' button apparently picked up on

This is what I suspect has happened, someone (who speaks arabic) mistyped their email address in trying to set up an instagram account and put in his, then when they tried to logon and failed (probably as they never got the 'confirmation email'), instagram sent a 'help' email to the one on file ie Squeegee Beckenheim's email address

If nothing else, he has a spanking new instagram account he can use lol

Old 14th September 2018, 03:27 AM   #32
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

This is one of many excellent reasons to have deleted the mail without so much as a passing thought.
Old 14th September 2018, 03:29 AM   #33
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

He sent it to me, and it does appear to be a legit email from Instagram, it appears to me that someone tried or did set up an account (instagram) using his email address, was then having issues logging in, and Instagram sent a email basically saying "we can see you are having trouble logging in, we can help you to log in or reset your password" in Arabic, with the standard "if you wish to stop receiving these emails link (also in Arabic) which is what his 'unsubscribe' button apparently picked up on

This is what I suspect has happened, someone (who speaks arabic) mistyped their email address in trying to set up an instagram account and put in his, then when they tried to logon and failed (probably as they never got the 'confirmation email'), instagram sent a 'help' email to the one on file ie Squeegee Beckenheim's email address

If nothing else, he has a spanking new instagram account he can use lol
But then, wouldn't Squeegee have got the confirmation email and would have had to go through the verification process?
Old 14th September 2018, 03:36 AM   #34
Dabop
Muse

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
This is one of many excellent reasons to have deleted the mail without so much as a passing thought.
That he got the Facebook link is because Instagram is actually owned by Facebook

Quote:
Terms of Use
Welcome to Instagram!

These Terms of Use govern your use of Instagram and provide information about the Instagram Service, outlined below. When you create an Instagram account or use Instagram, you agree to these terms.

The Instagram Service is one of the Facebook Products, provided to you by Facebook, Inc. These Terms of Use therefore constitute an agreement between you and Facebook, Inc.
https://help.instagram.com/581066165581870

Old 14th September 2018, 03:40 AM   #35
Dabop
Muse

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
But then, wouldn't Squeegee have got the confirmation email and would have had to go through the verification process?
I suspect he did get the email and it got spambinned or ignored (because he obviously hadn't signed up for a new account)

The email he got was likely because whoever signed up to instagram couldn't log on to their 'new account' because it hadn't been activated (cause Squeegee didnt activate it obviously) and when they saw several unsuccessful attempts sent this email (which is basically a template "are you having issues logging in" email (but in Arabic) eta to the email they had on file, which is Squeegee's)

(nice email address btw)
;-)

Last edited by Dabop; 14th September 2018 at 03:46 AM.
Old 14th September 2018, 03:58 AM   #36
Dabop
Muse

Quote:
Hello (squeegees email address) You seem to be having trouble logging in to Your account We are glad to help you return to your account You can also password re-set your account too (link) Do not you want us to send you e-mail messages similar to this
This was googles translation of the email, with the link to the unsubscribe page is the hilighted section

So yes, it was a legit email, but it all came about because someone Arabic typed in squeegee's email address (probably by mistake, they most likely have a very similar one)

Old 14th September 2018, 03:59 AM   #37
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, thanks, Dabop.

The funny thing is that I've heard about people trying to set up Instagram accounts with other people's emails. I can't think why anybody would do it deliberately.
Old 14th September 2018, 04:15 AM   #38
Dabop
Muse

The problem with trying to use someone elses account to set up an instagram or facebook is that they send the confirmation to the email they put down on the application form, so unless the person who owns the account clicks on the confirm button in the email, that account will never be activated. So yeah doing it deliberately doesn't make any sense

Making a typing error in the email name is the most likely answer (I suspect that your email name would likely be a popular choice lol with many trying various variations on it just to get it)

eta if nothing else you now have an instagram account if you want it LOL- although if you do use it, I would suggest changing the password, just to be safe)

Last edited by Dabop; 14th September 2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 14th September 2018, 06:29 AM   #39
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I don't think Instagram is really my thing. But it's nice to know it's there if there's an alien invasion that can only be thwarted by posting pictures of them in their bikinis.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:36 AM   #40
Dabop
Muse

Yeah, I don't think Instagram is really my thing. But it's nice to know it's there if there's an alien invasion that can only be thwarted by posting pictures of them in their bikinis.
LOL- too late, they are already here.....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet