ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th September 2018, 04:33 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Stay Classy, NRA.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/enter...rnd/index.html

WHat the hell does this have to do with the Second Amendment?
This is why I quit the NRA over 20 years ago; they changed from a group protecting private gun ownership to a group promoting right wing conspiracy crap.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 04:56 PM   #2
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

This is why I quit the NRA over 20 years ago; they changed from a group protecting private gun ownership to a group promoting right wing conspiracy crap.
That woman has repeatedly demonstrated that she has no conscience. Color me not surprised (pun intended).
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 05:04 PM   #3
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Besides the stupidity of National Rifle Association TV coming out against diversity, the message of the imagery is extremely confused. The Ku Klux Klan is completely against diversity (it's pretty much why they exist). So, maybe the point is that the NRA wishes that their friends in the KKK were riding shotgun on the train to take care of any diversity that might show up?
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 05:06 PM   #4
Elagabalus
Illuminator

The NRA need to be on the receiving end of Thomas's new friend Gustav.

https://www.reddit.com/r/trains/comm...e_tank_engine/
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 05:07 PM   #5
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Besides the stupidity of National Rifle Association TV coming out against diversity, the message of the imagery is extremely confused...
That's putting it mildly.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 05:10 PM   #6
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Jesus. The NRA, Nazis, the Klan, Trump supporters. It's all the same thing now.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 05:11 PM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Besides the stupidity of National Rifle Association TV coming out against diversity, the message of the imagery is extremely confused. The Ku Klux Klan is completely against diversity (it's pretty much why they exist). So, maybe the point is that the NRA wishes that their friends in the KKK were riding shotgun on the train to take care of any diversity that might show up?
Exactlyt: What the hell does this crap have to do with protecting the rights of gunowners?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 05:12 PM   #8
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Exactlyt: What the hell does this crap have to do with protecting the rights of gunowners?
It's about protecting the rights of white gunowners. You hadn't realized that before?
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 05:13 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
The NRA need to be on the receiving end of Thomas's new friend Gustav.

https://www.reddit.com/r/trains/comm...e_tank_engine/
As a World War 2 buff and an ex Redleg in the US Army:

Now for diversity Thomas needs to get Gustav's twin sister, Anzio Annie, on the show...

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 13th September 2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 13th September 2018, 05:26 PM   #10
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Perhaps the NRA are working on a "Flummox Bomb". Are the new diversity trains also members of the KKK? How or why did the KKK let them in?
Old 14th September 2018, 03:57 AM   #11
3point14
Pi

These people are utterly terrified of anyone not a WASP.

What are they so concerned about?

The only angle I have is that they're concerned that, if white people become a minority, the other races will treat the new, white minority in the same way other minorities have been treated in the past.

They're just in abject terror that payback is going to be a bitch, aren't they?
Old 14th September 2018, 04:20 AM   #12
Lothian
should be banned

Stay classy? When were they ever classy?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 05:14 AM   #13
Information Analyst
Philosopher

"This is horrible," Loesch said of the show's additions. "That's where it gets really strange to me. Am I to understand this entire time that Thomas and his trains were white? Because they all have gray faces. How do you bring ethnic diversity? I mean, they had to paint what I guess they thought was some sort of African pattern on the side of Nia's engine."

Obviously unaware of the series' British origins, so yeah, obviously all the original engines and other characters are British. That's grounds to quibble whether non-British engines should still have grey faces, but can have non-British accents/liveries, but that's about it.

Even so, I don't get how they get from the shock revelation that the original engines were envisaged as being "white" to putting them in KKK regalia - something not particularly common in the UK outside of being ridiculed in TV comedy.

Apparently some other foreign engines were introduced in 2016, but the NRA obviously didn't notice.

In other news. All white characters in The Simpsons are yellow, while non-white characters aren't. Shock! Horror!

Last edited by Information Analyst; 14th September 2018 at 05:25 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 05:28 AM   #14
Drewbot
Philosopher

The international body that supports countries that refuse to recognize women and homosexuals, is now telling educational cartoons that they should be more diverse?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 05:30 AM   #15
Armitage72
Master Poster

It's about protecting the rights of white gunowners. You hadn't realized that before?

Why would you say that? Just because in 1967 they supported a California bill banning open carry that was intended to disarm the Black Panthers?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 05:42 AM   #16
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Why would you say that? Just because in 1967 they supported a California bill banning open carry that was intended to disarm the Black Panthers?
While I won't contest that the NRA is often strangely silent on the matter of non-white people enjoying their second amendment rights (see: Philando Castile), the NRA of 1967 wasn't nearly as hard line about right-to-carry as they are today. The old NRA was very much a sportsman and hunter's group and less concerned about non-recreational issues. 2nd amendment rights, as a political issue, didn't become a primary interest for the NRA until the 70's, culminating with the radical leadership change in the 1977 NRA elections.
Old 14th September 2018, 09:59 AM   #17
Bob001
Philosopher

The NRA was originally a sportmen's organization that promoted enjoying the outdoors and hunting safely. At one time the NRA supported the kinds of basic firearms regulations that it now compares to fascist takeover. The modern NRA is largely a creation of the gun manufacturers, who have used its propaganda to boost their sales, and it has probably done as much as anybody to poison American politics.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b03b55731c2169
http://time.com/4431356/nra-gun-control-history/
http://theweek.com/articles/761135/s...ng-history-nra

Last edited by Bob001; 14th September 2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: to add link
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 04:08 PM   #18
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
That woman has repeatedly demonstrated that she has no conscience. Color me not surprised (pun intended).

Isn't she the one who was explaining that the Founding Fathers had automatic weapons in the Revolutionary War?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 06:01 PM   #19
Mumbles
Philosopher

It's likely just what they consider friendly programming for children.

I'd like to say I were totally joking, but given Loesh's output with the NRA...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 06:28 PM   #20
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

This is the kind of stuff that makes Thomas cry.

thomas the tank's nightmare.jpg

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events