ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 13th September 2018, 01:50 PM   #2441
Paul2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am now convinced unless a miracle happens, this country is headed for the worst trainwreck in it's history since the Civil War.
Yes, and it may be - no, it already has been - a slow-moving, gradual train wreck, starting in the 1960s when Southern Democrats hated Johnson for the Civil Rights Act and moved to the Republican party, then got catered to by Nixon's Southern strategy, got further ensconced by the Moral Majority in the 1980s, went ballistic with the Tea party, and has been building up a head of steam throughout the last 50 years.

It took a long time to get here, and I hope we can somehow turn things around in a (much) shorter length of time.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 01:50 PM   #2442
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The Imbecile-in-Chief denies that 3000 people died in Puerto Rico, because that many people didn't die during the actual hurricane event.

FEMA has very little to do with mitigating the actual weather event. They come in afterwards. The fact that so many people died afterwards only increases the possibility that FEMA did a less than stellar job.
Old 13th September 2018, 01:53 PM   #2443
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Agreed. Getting re-elected becomes the dominating factor.
Whereas with term limits, securing lucrative employment once your term is ended becomes the dominating factor. I'm not sure that's better.
Old 13th September 2018, 02:03 PM   #2444
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Whereas with term limits, securing lucrative employment once your term is ended becomes the dominating factor. I'm not sure that's better.
That was the one thing that kept me from supporting Term Limits, but now the craven behavior of the GOP congress in failing to carry out their basic duty of acting as a check to Presendential power has convinced me that we can afford a little greed a lot more then seeing our system of check balances go down the tubes because you want a lifelong career as a Congressman. I think we need to take away that option.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 02:11 PM   #2445
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

That was the one thing that kept me from supporting Term Limits, but now the craven behavior of the GOP congress in failing to carry out their basic duty of acting as a check to Presendential power has convinced me that we can afford a little greed a lot more then seeing our system of check balances go down the tubes because you want a lifelong career as a Congressman. I think we need to take away that option.

It isn't just the congressperson who wants a life long career...

It is the majority of voters every two years.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 02:14 PM   #2446
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
The Imbecile-in-Chief denies that 3000 people died in Puerto Rico, because that many people didn't die during the actual hurricane event.

FEMA has very little to do with mitigating the actual weather event. They come in afterwards. The fact that so many people died afterwards only increases the possibility that FEMA did a less than stellar job.
Not enough paper towels?
Old 13th September 2018, 02:52 PM   #2447
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Not enough paper towels?
Not enough arch on the paper towels.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 03:05 PM   #2448
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
House Republicans rejected an attempt by Democrats on Thursday to demand that the State Department turn over records related to President Donald Trump’s secretive one-on-one meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"Vladimir Putin is not our friend," Royce said, adding, "Helsinki was a squandered opportunity to challenge Vladimir Putin's false narratives on Ukraine, Syria and Russia's ongoing interference in our democracy."

But, the demand for documents "is not a wise approach to oversight," he said.
Linky.

Republicans made a deal with the Devil, but its the rest of us that are paying the price.
Old 13th September 2018, 03:23 PM   #2449
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed. Getting re-elected becomes the dominating factor.
I think that once the November elections are over, even some Republicans still remaining in office might be a little more forthcoming. The pressure of reelection is off for a few years.
Old 13th September 2018, 03:55 PM   #2450
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
People have been saying as much for years when viral articles later get turned into books. The article was enough.
I never wrote a book at all so I'm a fine one to talk.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 04:01 PM   #2451
dudalb
Suspended

Several news sources reporting that Manafort and Mueller are nearing a plea deal.
If Manafort rats out,the meltdown is going to incredible ....
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 04:39 PM   #2452
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Several news sources reporting that Manafort and Mueller are nearing a plea deal.
I hope someone has a smartphone and catches it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 04:45 PM   #2453
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Give as much money as you can to Democratic candidates who have a chance of beating their Republican rivals, in any electoral district, for the House or for the Senate or for state offices.
Given how much we complain about money in politics and now foreigners trying to influence elections, I'm not going to do that.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 04:54 PM   #2454
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Given how much we complain about money in politics and now foreigners trying to influence elections, I'm not going to do that.
And it's not like I am going to put 100% trust in the Democratic party,either.
I could easily see the Dems,in power, becoming just as power hungry and ruthless as the GOP. Power corrupts,end of story.
Yes, I will vote democratic this November as an emergency measure, but ,frankly, I have no love for either of the major parties.
Old 13th September 2018, 05:15 PM   #2455
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Not long ago I was struck by a realization, one I don’t anticipate unstriking me: Donald Trump is without morals.

It was possible to figure his behavior present and past was due to differences in upbringing/education/career-path from the average person. We’ve all encountered bullies and cutthroats and liars and cheats, but deep down you knew they could, say, manage a little league team. Trump has none of it. No core, no base layer of good. Nothing.

No signal, all static. Empty.

John Barren.
Not long ago? Have you been in a coma? It's been obvious for many years.

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
Some times it's better to light a flamethrower, than curse the darkness.

- Terry Pratchett
Elon Musk will sell you one.
Old 13th September 2018, 06:24 PM   #2456
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Which to be fair is probably the most charitable thing he has ever done.
Yes, because it equals all his munificent deeds. Handing out stuff that other people donated, just like his "found-ations" (hey, we found this money Stephanie McMahon left behind, let's spend it on some gilt and glitter).

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 06:44 PM   #2457
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Yes, because it equals all his munificent deeds. Handing out stuff that other people donated, just like his "found-ations" (hey, we found this money Stephanie McMahon left behind, let's spend it on some gilt and glitter).
Happy birthday, by the way.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 06:54 PM   #2458
kellyb
Philosopher

Trump tweets:

"John Kerry had illegal meetings with the very hostile Iranian Regime, which can only serve to undercut our great work to the detriment of the American people. He told them to wait out the Trump Administration! Was he registered under the Foreign Agents Registration Act? BAD!"

lol
Old 13th September 2018, 07:08 PM   #2459
SezMe
post-pre-born

Term limits, so that nobody can think of making a lifelong career of being in congress, is a good place to start.
You're a fellow Californian - do you think term limits here have solved any problems?

Politics seems to be the only job where accumulated expertise is a liability, not an asset.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 07:23 PM   #2460
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh... oh my God I just got it.

We're seeing a real world, actions instead of words version of a Gish Gallop.
He's argumentative concepts like "not even wrong" and "wronger than wrong"
made flesh.

That's... scary.

Because the only way to combat a Gish Gallop is to ignore it,
and that's not an option in the real world.

What? No...

Back in December of 2015, I noticed that out of the 333 and a third million
American people one could possibly elect as President of the United State,
only Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump represented the best of the best,
the top of the top.

At that moment, I tuned out, turned off, and dropped in.

Basically, I cancelled all my newspaper and magazine subscriptions, hauled all
the televisions and radios in my house off to the dump to be squashed into a
small cube, and then retired to a WWII bomb shelter three stories underground.

Occasionally, I'll pop out of ground for an orange fruit and check these forums
for the latest news, which does not surprise by the way.

P.S. Have the Russians taken back Alaska yet?
Old 13th September 2018, 07:46 PM   #2461
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

And it's not like I am going to put 100% trust in the Democratic party,either.
I could easily see the Dems,in power, becoming just as power hungry and ruthless as the GOP. Power corrupts,end of story.
Yes, I will vote democratic this November as an emergency measure, but ,frankly, I have no love for either of the major parties.

Over the course of the past century there have been times when the Dems had control of both the Executive and Legislative branches, and times when the GOP has.

Given the established track record of the two, if I were to be compelled to choose one or the other, there is no question in my mind that the Dems would do less harm to the country.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 07:47 PM   #2462
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
You're a fellow Californian - do you think term limits here have solved any problems?

Politics seems to be the only job where accumulated expertise is a liability, not an asset.
It seems to me like with term limits, institutional knowledge is exclusively limited to the corporations.
Old 13th September 2018, 07:58 PM   #2463
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Give as much money as you can to Democratic candidates who have a chance of beating their Republican rivals, in any electoral district, for the House or for the Senate or for state offices.
Well considering that is illegal, the most he can give is $0

Good argument otherwise tho.
Old 13th September 2018, 09:58 PM   #2464
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by BeanieBaby View Post
hurricanes are wet too MAGA
Pssh. Water helps plants grow. What we really want is more water! MORE WATER!
Old 13th September 2018, 11:31 PM   #2465
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Pssh. Water helps plants grow. What we really want is more water! MORE WATER!
Nuh-uh. Brawndo. It's got what plants crave.
Old 13th September 2018, 11:34 PM   #2466
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

>snip<
P.S. Have the Russians taken back Alaska yet?
They can have Wasilla. Please.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 02:39 AM   #2467
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Pffft... Manafort is such a respectful, brave man and would never "break" or make up stories to get a "deal". Surely Trump would never turn on him.

Last edited by TofuFighter; 14th September 2018 at 02:40 AM.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 02:53 AM   #2468
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Lou Dobbs

More #FakeNews- The Hurricane Maria death tolls have been inflated & President @realDonaldTrump was right to call out organizations who threw out science and statistics to try to discredit his administration. #MAGA #TrumpTrain #Dobbs
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 02:55 AM   #2469
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"John Kerry had illegal meetings with the very hostile Iranian Regime, which can only serve to undercut our great work to the detriment of the American people. He told them to wait out the Trump Administration! Was he registered under the Foreign Agents Registration Act? BAD!"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 03:09 AM   #2470
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Trump's own Government Accountability Office criticized FEMA's work in Puerto Rico:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gao-rep...n-puerto-rico/
Old 14th September 2018, 03:18 AM   #2471
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

It really is a compulsion for him to try and hit out at those he perceives to be his enemies.
Old 14th September 2018, 03:24 AM   #2472
kellyb
Philosopher

It really is a compulsion for him to try and hit out at those he perceives to be his enemies.
He's also chewing over Manafort's impending plea bargain (it was all over the news yesterday), where he's expected to flip on Trump in exchange for getting out of some of his prison time for not registering as a foreign agent.
Old 14th September 2018, 03:39 AM   #2473
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump's own Government Accountability Office criticized FEMA's work in Puerto Rico:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gao-rep...n-puerto-rico/
Minor quibble, GAO is Congress's watchdog agency. The president appoints the head of it who also serves as the Comptroller General of the United States but can only choose from a list of candidates Congress presents him. OPM does the care and feeding of employees but they work for Congress.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 04:02 AM   #2474
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Surprising. I have not heard the T-word on the news since about Tuesday. Even less about the release of Woodward's book. But I think they took care of most of that discussion last week.
Old 14th September 2018, 05:49 AM   #2475
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Compulsion, or carefully crafted tactic?

Witnessed and distilled by Roy Cohn, refined by Roger Stone, handed down to Donald Trump.

Admittedly, I can see how, over time, a tactic of continual lying and reflexive attacking of “enemies” can become internalized. To historians it may prove to be an interesting case of a tactic morphing into a pathology.

We’ll see what happens!
Old 14th September 2018, 05:54 AM   #2476
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

The Roy Cohn strategy only works if you aren't under the microscope.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:46 AM   #2477
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I hope someone has a smartphone and catches it.
Quick! Someone rehire Omarosa!

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 08:40 AM   #2478
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Compulsion, or carefully crafted tactic?

Witnessed and distilled by Roy Cohn, refined by Roger Stone, handed down to Donald Trump.

Admittedly, I can see how, over time, a tactic of continual lying and reflexive attacking of “enemies” can become internalized. To historians it may prove to be an interesting case of a tactic morphing into a pathology.

We’ll see what happens!
Cohn and Stone would have had to have had a Tardis to persuade Trump to have been so petty and vindictive all his life.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a6795131.html

I do think that the attacks on the NFL might in part be due to the battle between the NFL and USFL where Trump didn't win.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 08:57 AM   #2479
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

So is this the end of the beginning?

Now that "brave man" manafort is taking a plea.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/paul...dlines_bsq_hed
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 09:12 AM   #2480
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Cohn and Stone would have had to have had a Tardis to persuade Trump to have been so petty and vindictive all his life.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a6795131.html

I do think that the attacks on the NFL might in part be due to the battle between the NFL and USFL where Trump didn't win.
That and them uppity *******.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics