ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th October 2018, 08:41 PM   #281
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Manufacturing jobs are some portion of the labor force. National trends that increase the labor force will increase all sectors of unless specific reasons would cause a sector to deviate.

This is like claiming you lowered the number of c sections because you lowered all deliveries generally.
Another version

"I'm going to get kids back into science classes."

Ban birth control to raise birth rate. More kids means more kids in science classes.

But people know that isn't how you measure success.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 08:41 PM   #282
AOK Tiger
Muse

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Get serious.
Your responses to me sound exactly like Trump.
But that is OK I wont hate you for it.
AOK Tiger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 08:43 PM   #283
AOK Tiger
Muse

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
I already explained this. When someone in the thread engaged in name calling, you didn't like it. But you don't see it as a problem when Trump does it. This is a very obvious double standard. If you're willing to accept that, you'll go along with anything else he does.

This is quickly approaching the state of I don't see any problems with Trump's behavior, because if Trump does it, it's not a problem.
When did I sook about name calling ?
I think Trumps name calling is childish (and funny also) and I don't care about it either. I don't think it warrants the hatred.
Although I note I'm getting at least a little hated just for NOT hating it.

Your last line is exactly how I see you in relation to Trump in reverse, anything good happen, it wasn't Trump.

Last edited by AOK Tiger; 17th October 2018 at 08:46 PM.
AOK Tiger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 08:50 PM   #284
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Average unemployment rate during the Obama presidency: 7.2%

Average unemployment rate during the Trump presidency: 4.0%

Trump wins!

Surely you jest.

I hope you have someone helping you with your finances.
Old 17th October 2018, 09:04 PM   #285
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AOK Tiger View Post
When did I sook about name calling ?
Blah blah, I started nice and you go for ridiculous name calling.
Happy to help
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 09:11 PM   #286
Kid Eager
Philosopher

I'm loving this thread: self-proclaimed Aussie libertarian plays whack-a-mole with straw man whilst asking "why u upset, bro?" Performance theatre at its best.

The only thing missing is cross-meming to sovereign citizens and/or the Illuminati...

Oh well, that's Western Australia for you...
Old 17th October 2018, 09:11 PM   #287
AOK Tiger
Muse

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Happy to help
I didn't think calling out that someone is name calling is sooking about it, more pointing out you are engaging in the same thing you hate Trump for.

I keep forgetting if you don't hate Trump then you can be exaggerated about in the same fashion he is.
Old 17th October 2018, 09:12 PM   #288
AOK Tiger
Muse

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
I'm loving this thread: self-proclaimed Aussie libertarian plays whack-a-mole with straw man whilst asking "why u upset, bro?" Performance theatre at its best.

The only thing missing is cross-meming to sovereign citizens and/or the Illuminati...

Why you upset Bro, and I'm Victorian, edgy, latte sipping, green Victoria.
Old 17th October 2018, 09:13 PM   #289
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Nw.

1. I am actually Australian not Russian
2. I am not "pro" Trump
3. I am not a rabid right wing Nazi
4. I am not a sock puppet
5. I am not deplorable (although that may be still debatable)
Are you an atomic playboy?
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 09:19 PM   #290
AOK Tiger
Muse

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Are you an atomic playboy?
Quote by "Spike" Blandy ?
Studio Band ?
Other local meme ?

I wish I was but not sure if I got it.
Old 17th October 2018, 09:23 PM   #291
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Why you upset Bro, and I'm Victorian, edgy, latte sipping, green Victoria.
Oh, you've got no excuse, then. Pray continue, and tell VicRoads to leave the Tulla alone as I'm liking the trip from the airport now that the construction has stopped.

ETA - something something Collingwood lol.

Last edited by Kid Eager; 17th October 2018 at 09:26 PM.
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 09:44 PM   #292
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is quite hated on libertarian Reddit by the way.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 10:21 PM   #293
citizenzen
Graduate Poster

Your responses to me sound exactly like Trump.
But that is OK I wont hate you for it.

After the 1,000th time, I’ll bet you would.

(And probably a lot sooner than that.)
citizenzen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 10:27 PM   #294
Venom
Graduate Poster

AOK Tiger,

Your advice is uncompelling, uninspiring, not something people haven't thought about before.

Yes, Trump is dangerous, unhinged, lowers the bar for future elected leaders.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 11:35 PM   #295
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I think he meant he has a big head.
One of them, anyway...
Old 18th October 2018, 12:38 AM   #296
Lurch
Muse

Trump supporters somehow think that the head of state of (what once was) the most powerful and influential nation on Earth should carry on like the neighborhood BSer regaling the lads at the pub. Or engage in shambolic buffoonery like a priveledged frat. Or paw and maul women at will. Or use his bully pulpit to demean and belittle. Or preside over a Party that openly engages in voter disenfranchisement. Or to crassly scorn cooperation, compromise and comity to divide the nation. Or take full advantage of his position to wantonly enrich himself. Or separate children and infants for months (if not forever) from their mothers, in service to a vile program of maximum deterrence. Or to suck up to tyrants who have their own agendas and give the finger to erstwhile friendly allies. In short, to make an ass of the USA before the whole world.

But apply restraint, observe decorum, or comport with honor? Horror!

And they wonder why people who clearly see the danger can find a place in their hearts for hate.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 12:38 AM   #297
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
I don’t hate Donald Trump. What a curious idea to me.

Hate, in halfway decent people (not, for example, Klansmen and Nazis) is reserved for those who are more... substantial than Trump. He’s a greasy little swindler; corrupt, treasonous, a pathological liar, a sniveling coward, and a degenerate, bigoted, misogynist buffoon; but at his core he’s simply a frightened little excuse for a man propped up by an entire ecosystem of kleptocrats, quislings, phony Christians, cynical mouthpieces, spineless toadies, and assorted other nincompoops - and foreign propaganda and dirty money.

He doesn’t even measure up to his grandfather, the draft-dodging pimp, nor his father, the tax-cheating Klansman. He’s a thin-skinned balloon, constantly pumped up by others.

Worms like that, even bloated ones, don’t earn my hate. They merit no more than contempt, and such civic actions I can take to help rescue my country from the odious machinations of the various bad actors stuffing quarters into him.

The seven stages of Trump Derangement Syndrome

"The third stage: Anger and Rage. TDS-sufferers, at least those who have maneuvered past denial, have succumbed to anger, hate, and rage. Despite President Trump's success at turning around a stagnant economy, exploding job growth numbers, revamping disastrous foreign trade policies, tax cuts, and the growing favorability among minority groups. Whether it's the negative media nattering or calls for violence targeting White House staff, administration officials, and Republican politicians, the overt and disturbing frequency of unrestrained, seething rage won't end well."

American Thinker (Aug 22, 2018)

The Left: An Unhinged Mob
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 12:53 AM   #298
3point14
Pi

Dumb people eventually get sick of being told they are dumb.
This is the catch 22.

Dumb people can keep making dumb decisions about your country, but you're not allowed to tell the dumb people their decisions are dumb because their feelings get hurt so they vote for a loony.

So, the choices, for those with actual intellect are:

Say nothing and let the dumb people make the important decisions

or

Say something and have the dumb people come out in droves to vote for a loony because of their hurt feelings.

Either way, the dumb people win.
Old 18th October 2018, 02:10 AM   #299
ShadowSot
Graduate Poster

Is there a form letter for these things that get sent out?
Select forum you want to troll, select topic, choose topics, copy paste. Submit.
I'm pretty well influenced by the something wrong on the internet thing, but this is absurd.
ShadowSot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 03:02 AM   #300
Belz...
Fiend God

Obama: "Those jobs of the past are just not going to come back."

Trump: "Hold my diet coke."
Oops. Then Trump failed.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 04:10 AM   #301
AOK Tiger
Muse

Oh, you've got no excuse, then. Pray continue, and tell VicRoads to leave the Tulla alone as I'm liking the trip from the airport now that the construction has stopped.

ETA - something something Collingwood lol.
Ah Kid I work in Public Transport so you should be catching the Skybus, or the new Airport Rail Link opening in 2150.

Ughh don't mention Collingwood they beat my Tigers in the Preliminary Final (still getting over it)
Old 18th October 2018, 06:41 AM   #302
Cabbage
Muse

"The third stage: Anger and Rage. TDS-sufferers, at least those who have maneuvered past denial, have succumbed to anger, hate, and rage. Despite President Trump's success at turning around a stagnant economy, exploding job growth numbers, revamping disastrous foreign trade policies, tax cuts, and the growing favorability among minority groups. Whether it's the negative media nattering or calls for violence targeting White House staff, administration officials, and Republican politicians, the overt and disturbing frequency of unrestrained, seething rage won't end well."

Listening to you or anyone on the right opine about Trump Derangement Syndrome is like taking Charlie Sheen's advice on sexually transmitted diseases. LOL!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 07:17 AM   #303
Chanakya

Here's a fun scenario, contemplating on which will make all Left-Right animosity evaporate in a cloying cloud of loving-kindness : What if HRC divorced that lying cheating husband of hers, and DJT got rid of that immigrant wife of hers, and then the two of them got hitched?

They'd probably become world dictators. Or at least, if not that, certainly the most reviled couple in the history of the world. Now that would be truly MAGA.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 07:28 AM   #304
The_Animus
Master Poster

Well, those last hundred retorts to the disingenuous trolls weren't very effective. Maybe the next one will be better.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 09:30 AM   #305
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Here's a fun scenario, contemplating on which will make all Left-Right animosity evaporate in a cloying cloud of loving-kindness : What if HRC divorced that lying cheating husband of hers, and DJT got rid of that immigrant wife of hers, and then the two of them got hitched?

They'd probably become world dictators. Or at least, if not that, certainly the most reviled couple in the history of the world. Now that would be truly MAGA.
I always thought The PDJT should have chosen Hillary as his Secretary of State. What a delicious irony that would be.
Old 18th October 2018, 09:34 AM   #306
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

This doesn't make any sense. The obvious answer to , "why don't people like these good things?" Is they don't see them as good or do not reach the same conclusion that things are related. To try and label it as anything other than a disagreement is intellectual dishonesty on the part of that article.
Old 18th October 2018, 09:38 AM   #307
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I always thought The PDJT should have chosen Hillary as his Secretary of State. What a delicious irony that would be.
I know you're joking and I know we're a long, long, long, long time and way before politics will, if ever, get to a place where something like that is even remotely possibe but... yeah.

In the abstract seeing as how, not matter what you think of them, in most all elections the person who lost was still supported by millions of people making up a high percent of the population. Some high level cabinet position makes sense for them.

It's why originally the idea as for the VP to just be the runner up because if you can look beyond politics for a split second that... makes sense.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 10:18 AM   #308
Chanakya

Ah, but this case is an anomaly, surely? I'd say both these characters got negative votes. I guess large numbers voted Trump because they couldn't stomach Hillary. Likewise, I guess large numbers voted Hillary because they found Trump "deplorable". Add to these the votes of those who wouldn't ever dream of voting for the opposite side. I'm guessing -- and no, can't back that up, just a guess, but I'm sure I'm right -- that not many, relatively speaking, actually voted for either Trump or Hillary, in that sense.

Last edited by Chanakya; 18th October 2018 at 10:20 AM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 07:25 PM   #309
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I realised I was “suckered” into hating him by media bias! (I couldn’t even work out why they hated him so much?)
If you're right, this means that until recently you were a complete and total sucker.

If you're wrong, this means you're now a complete and total sucker.

Either way, you recently were/are a complete and total sucker. Faced with the fact that you're demonstrably susceptible to being a complete and total sucker, perhaps you should reconsider your position.

Last edited by varwoche; 18th October 2018 at 07:32 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 08:51 PM   #310
Tero
Graduate Poster

Just don’t understand your obsession with hating
Stop being ripped off by other countries.
Get more jobs
Improve the economy.
Trump seems to have succeeded in all these things.
Your hate will also only fuel those who think the media and elites are biased against Trump.
They WILL vote him back in.
We did all that. Trump was unnecessary, as were his tariffs.
There actually was not a major job issue. People just had a problem with a black president.

Why do you hate Democrats? Black presidents?
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 09:11 PM   #311
Mumbles
Philosopher

Just don’t understand your obsession with hating Trump.
I’m an Aussie and really have no left or right bias (probably mostly libertarian).
I was a ranting Trump hater as he seemed so narcissistic, misogynistic, rascist, unstatesmanlike and had really bad hair.
He's also a well-known con man who lies constantly, who has gone bankrupt several times. Also petty and vindictive. And if you couldn't research all that on your own, then I really can't help you.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 11:02 PM   #312
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Just don’t understand your obsession with hating Trump.
I’m an Aussie and really have no left or right bias (probably mostly libertarian).
I was a ranting Trump hater as he seemed so narcissistic, misogynistic, rascist, unstatesmanlike and had really bad hair.
My own son challenged to substantiate any of these beliefs and I struggled to find ANYTHING real that backed up what I thought (except for the hair).
I realised I was “suckered” into hating him by media bias! (I couldn’t even work out why they hated him so much?)
The things I do care about (and even more so if I was American) would be get out of frikkin wars that we get nothing out of and are hated worldwide for being involved in.
Stop being ripped off by other countries.
Get more jobs
Improve the economy.
Trump seems to have succeeded in all these things.
Your hate will also only fuel those who think the media and elites are biased against Trump.
They WILL vote him back in.
I'm normally a skeptic so when my know-it-all friend Buzz told me about the amazing Omega Wand I was anxious to prove how he was being fooled.

Boy was I wrong! This really really works.

(((Being the new kid in town you're probably not aware that we get psychic believers, homeopaths, god-huggers, ghost hunters and conspiracy theorists here all the time who start out with a hirsute tale of how they used to be just like us but were shown the light by an unsuspecting source. It used to be a braless hippie girl but it's apparently devolved to clever offspring.)))

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 12:12 AM   #313
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Aw....Trump ain't so bad. I mean, he'd never praise a candidate and call him "my guy" for body-slamming a reporter who asked a perfectly reasonable question ...especially just after a Washington Post journalist was murdered and dismembered, right? RIGHT?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 05:20 AM   #314
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by River View Post
I've attempted many times to inform some of the more left leaning folks here -- reciprocation will occur if the left continues to remain tone deaf. The moderates need to speak out against those that use violence as a means to their agenda. As a means to shut down free speech they don't like. Speak out, or be blindly complicit. It's not a matter of if this will happen, but only when. Some support this rhetoric. I wonder if they will when the tides change.
Get off the high horse and follow the discussion for a change. We're talking about the fact that Trump unambiguously encouraged his supporters to beat protesters who were behaving lawfully. When you use this as a jumping off point to parrot right-wing talking points, readers might conclude that you don't object to the President behaving this way.

Even if the right-wing fantasy that Democrats = Antifa were true [guffaw] that still wouldn't excuse the reprehensible, anti-democratic act of encouraging violence against protesters who were behaving lawfully.
Old 19th October 2018, 05:39 AM   #315
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Get off the high horse and follow the discussion for a change. We're talking about the fact that Trump unambiguously encouraged his supporters to beat protesters who were behaving lawfully. When you use this as a jumping off point to parrot right-wing talking points, readers might conclude that you don't object to the President behaving this way.

Even if the right-wing fantasy that Democrats = Antifa were true [guffaw] that still wouldn't excuse the reprehensible, anti-democratic act of encouraging violence against protesters who were behaving lawfully.
You keep insisting Antifa behaves lawfully. They do not. Remain blind, it's fine. The specific incident you are referring to, multiple laws were broken. I've referred the video to local portland police and asked who if anyone broke the law. I will post any replies. Depending on how Porlands codes work, the state law would suggest two laws were being broken by the mob before any assault happened. You and others are suggesting it's legal to block roadways and divert traffic at your will, and stand in crosswalks to stop traffic and harass people. (this is what antifa does, along with beating GOP supporters at Trump rallies) They are the real fascists, attempting to shut down political views they dislike.

Quote:
US security officials have classified the left-wing group Antifa as "domestic terrorists", confidential documents have revealed.

“It was in that period [as the Trump campaign emerged] that we really became aware of them,” one senior law enforcement official said.

“These antifa guys were showing up with weapons, shields and bike helmets and just beating the **** out of people ... they’re using Molotov cocktails, they’re starting fires, they’re throwing bombs and smashing windows.”

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 05:52 AM   #316
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

You keep insisting Antifa behaves lawfully.
Full stop. I insist nothing of the sort.

I see that once again you decline to comment on Trump encouraging his supporters to beat protesters. Perhaps you could weigh in on that before you change the subject.
Old 19th October 2018, 06:04 AM   #317
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Until Trump gets close to Dubya's death toll, he will only be the second worst.
Where do you rank Kennedy and Johnson and the death tolls they "achieved"?
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 06:15 AM   #318
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Where do you rank Kennedy and Johnson and the death tolls they "achieved"?
yeah, that was probably the worst.
But by dint of not being of voting age at the time, I'm not sure how fairly I can judge their decisions in any way but hindsight.

the second Gulf War and aftermath, on the other hand, was very predictably going to be a cluster ****.
Old 19th October 2018, 06:18 AM   #319
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

You keep insisting Antifa behaves lawfully. They do not. Remain blind, it's fine.
Here, I'm providing you this link in the hope you will join the actual conversation and stop playing whack-a-mole (the highly presumptuous edition). I enjoy that at the arcade now and then; here not so much.

And back to your tendency to be inattentive... I didn't mention the Portland event in any way, shape, or form. The youtube videos I linked to upthread are from Trump rallies. Pay just a tad bit of attention please. It's as if you treat these discussions as a game of community rorschach where you blurt any random, self-serving thing that pops into your mind.

Last edited by varwoche; 19th October 2018 at 06:22 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 06:29 AM   #320
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Full stop.
Now reading full stop, captain.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics