ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 25th October 2018, 04:24 AM   #1641
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Have you missed the part where he says he votes for whoever his wife tells him to?
Marriage is slavery.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 04:45 AM   #1642
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Some people being you. Did that get past you?
My views are nonsense. So what? If we agree that they are nonsense, then it is difficult to fit them in the US dichotomy. If they are sufficiently different, it may not be possible, and choosing one isn't possible.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 04:53 AM   #1643
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News. It has gotten so bad and hateful that it is beyond description. Mainstream Media must clean up its act, FAST!"

"The so-called experts on Trump over at the New York Times wrote a long and boring article on my cellphone usage that is so incorrect I do not have time here to correct it. I only use Government Phones, and have only one seldom used government cell phone. Story is soooo wrong!"

"Brandon Judd of the National Border Patrol Council is right when he says on
@foxandfriends
that the Democrat inspired laws make it tough for us to stop people at the Border. MUST BE CHANDED, but I am bringing out the military for this National Emergency. They will be stopped!"

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 25th October 2018 at 04:56 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 05:01 AM   #1644
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I heard that Libertarians are all for using the Military domestically.
Old 25th October 2018, 05:07 AM   #1645
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

President Trump said one day after explosive devices were sent to prominent Democrats and CNN that "a big part" of the anger in society today is caused by "purposely false and inaccurate reporting" from mainstream media

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...sely-false-and

Coming soon: if people don’t want bombs sending to them, maybe they shouldn’t lie.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 05:56 AM   #1646
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Why is the only way to take a stand against a racist candidate voting for the democratic candidate whom you also dislike, albeit to a lesser extent? To me that's problematic.
I guess that depends on whether you dislike the Democratic candidate for actual reasons or whether you are just buying into propaganda spread by the racists. If it's the latter you'll never find a Democratic candidate you like because the propaganda will never stop.
Old 25th October 2018, 05:57 AM   #1647
Worm
Master Poster

Quote:
The media also has a responsibility to set a civil tone and to stop the endless hostility and constant negative and oftentimes false attacks and stories."
This man has no discernible sense of irony.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:26 AM   #1648
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I guess I don't get it. The media has been fanning flames of hostility toward republicans, and therefore, some democratic operative has sent bombs to prominent democrats to try to discredit republicans?
Old 25th October 2018, 06:30 AM   #1649
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I guess I don't get it. The media has been fanning flames of hostility toward republicans, and therefore, some democratic operative has sent bombs to prominent democrats to try to discredit republicans?
Pretending for a moment you are right :
this false flag wouldn't be credible if Trump wasn't always so hostile. You think anyone would have believed that Carter supporters had sent such packages to leaders of the opposition?
Old 25th October 2018, 06:31 AM   #1650
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
What others (Antifa/Democrats) are saying:
"Everyone in the US: start shooting fascists now.

"I repeat: it's time to start shooting the bastards, America. You have reached the stage at which little time remains to stop the momentum and the humanitarian cost of civil war no longer clearly exceeds that of not doing so."

-- Andre (Oct 21, 2018)

"That's what this new Democratic Party is about." -- Eric Holder
There's now a thread where you can foist this nonsense on-topic.
Old 25th October 2018, 06:36 AM   #1651
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
My views are nonsense. So what?
Well, so we can ignore them.

Well done.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:38 AM   #1652
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, so we can ignore them.

Well done.
I always tell people here I would never assert that my views need to be considered. I'm not so full of myself to assert that.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 06:51 AM   #1653
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

JFK, RFK, MLK: Assassinated. Any Republicans on that list? Nope.

Mass shootings by the Left: Few and far between.
Mass shootings by the Right: Check your watch.

So what has TRUMPublicans panicking? Oh, right, same as ever: fear and their deeply cowardly response to it, dropping all principles while taking flight and shooting wild. Today, anything goes to shore up whine boy egos and hold their trembling hands. Poor things.

You'd think these strutting beefballs would have some tiny clue as to what spine is, but no luck: pure jello. Their Big Poobah can't even handle the WH Correspondents Dinner, let alone loyal opposition.

But hey! Historical lows in weak and clueless. Record-breakers after all!
Old 25th October 2018, 06:53 AM   #1654
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Well they did make a good go at Reagan. But that was caused by love, not politics.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 07:07 AM   #1655
lomiller
Philosopher

That is, functionally, Republicans will not remain one party for much longer. The House failed to pass an immigration bill this year because the law-and-order vote conflicted with the pork-for-farm-states vote. IOW farm states did not want E-Verify (not exactly pork, but definitely an economic issue). The impasses have been somewhat eclipsed by higher-profile solidarity (Supreme Court, tax cuts), but the impasses are real, too. They will continue to affect The Wall, possible further tax cuts etc.
The problem is Republican voters no longer care about any of these distinctions or contradictions. In such cases they will support either, neither or both sides so long as it’s the accepted Republican position. This means whoever breaks away becomes the automatic looser in the debate and Republicans will be unified behind whoever remains.
The toxic aspects of the current GOP brand will pick up steam while a more moderate branch will - I hope - gravitate toward protecting coverage for pre-existing conditions, possible DREAM Act etc., knowing that the world moves on and trying to get the '50s, or the '40s, or the 1850s back is a waste of effort.
The pattern of the Republican party over the last 25 years is that the toxic brand overwhelms the moderates and the moderates leave. The leaders of the toxic side are now the most moderate and are chased out the same way by an even more extreme and toxic brand.

Last edited by lomiller; 25th October 2018 at 07:08 AM.
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 07:55 AM   #1656
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
"The so-called experts on Trump over at the New York Times wrote a long and boring article on my cellphone usage that is so incorrect I do not have time here to correct it. I only use Government Phones, and have only one seldom used government cell phone. Story is soooo wrong!"
Mmm. If it actually is false, what are the chances that Trump made up the story himself and purposely "leaked" it as a distraction?
Old 25th October 2018, 08:05 AM   #1657
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets
@foxandfriends
that the Democrat inspired laws make it tough for us to stop people at the Border. MUST BE CHANDED, but I am bringing out the military for this National Emergency. They will be stopped!"
Oh good, I was worried he was actually demanding changes to immigration policy. But he's only asking for chanded.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 08:31 AM   #1658
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I'm culpable for both of those slavers. The choice I make, the moral one, is a hard, lonely road.

ETA: I also never denied culpability. of course I am. Do you know that line in CCR, "Watergate does not bother me, does your conscience bother you?"

Yes, 100%, all the time. I have a lot of shame from Watergate.
Lynyrd Skynyrd dude.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 08:35 AM   #1659
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Lynyrd Skynyrd dude.
Thank you.
Old 25th October 2018, 08:47 AM   #1660
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Fixed that for you.
Old 25th October 2018, 09:16 AM   #1661
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Re: “CHANDED” and Trump’s general word usage, I’m reminded of an episode of Radiolab. It was about a study of nuns, where they tracked their written vocabulary. Using fewer words over time was correlated with Alzheimer’s and/or dementia

Just sayin’.

Found it: https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/91960-vanishing-words

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 25th October 2018 at 09:20 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 09:25 AM   #1662
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
The pattern of the Republican party over the last 25 years is that the toxic brand overwhelms the moderates and the moderates leave. The leaders of the toxic side are now the most moderate and are chased out the same way by an even more extreme and toxic brand.
A good read on this unfortunate purging:

https://www.vox.com/2015/9/29/9416259/rino-word-history
Old 25th October 2018, 09:26 AM   #1663
AnonyMoose
Muse

Trump Tweets

"A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News. It has gotten so bad and hateful that it is beyond description. Mainstream Media must clean up its act, FAST!"

Translation:

"Any dissenting voices against me will get a bomb in their mailbox... and deserve it."

Heil Hitler!

Old 25th October 2018, 09:35 AM   #1664
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I think most people feel your frustration with Trump, but it appears from a lot of your posts in this thread that you have abandoned all skeptical/rational positions with regard to him/republicans/his supporters.

This does nothing but a disservice to yourself and to the forum in general.
Will you reconsider what you're doing?
No. It's good to dehumanize Trump and his supporters. Success in 2020 will largely depend on getting real Americans to see Trump supporters as a distrusted other. Lesser of two evil voters won't vote for a president they don't see as a person and won't want to join a group not seen as fully American. How Trump supporters see immigrants is how real Americans need to see Trump supporters.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 09:36 AM   #1665
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump Tweets

I'm sure he thinks he came up with the term, too.

Quote:
@foxandfriends
Must stop those regular people!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 11:07 AM   #1666
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
No. It's good to dehumanize Trump and his supporters. Success in 2020 will largely depend on getting real Americans to see Trump supporters as a distrusted other. Lesser of two evil voters won't vote for a president they don't see as a person and won't want to join a group not seen as fully American. How Trump supporters see immigrants is how real Americans need to see Trump supporters.
At times I get mad and agree with you, but then I remember if the Anti Trump people adapt Trump tactics whole sale they will end up being little better then Trump.
Fact is, the ends justify the means often results in the means taking over the ends.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 11:27 AM   #1667
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
At times I get mad and agree with you, but then I remember if the Anti Trump people adapt Trump tactics whole sale they will end up being little better then Trump.
Fact is, the ends justify the means often results in the means taking over the ends.
Yep this is why self defense never works. And why the cops really needed to step things up instead of caving at stonewall.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 12:01 PM   #1668
Lurch
Muse

Have you missed the part where he says he votes for whoever his wife tells him to?
Kitty-flogged, is he?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 12:26 PM   #1669
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Trump’s tweet claiming he 'only uses government phones' was sent from an iPhone
He's so stupid.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 12:26 PM   #1670
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yep this is why self defense never works. And why the cops really needed to step things up instead of caving at stonewall.
Question becomes what you mean by self defense.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 12:37 PM   #1671
TomB
Muse

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Assassinated:
Abraham Lincoln
James Garfield
William McKinley

Wounded in attempts:
Theodore Roosevelt
Ronald Reagan

Avoided injury in an unsuccessful attempt:
Gerald Ford (Twice)
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 12:56 PM   #1672
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The most perfect example of that in my mind was Robespierre. He was against capital punishment and yet thought it was necessary at the time to achieve his ideal government of the people. He replaced the the tyranny of the Bourbons with his own reign of terror, the execution of Louis the 16th and Marie Antoinette. But his means justifying the ends approach resulted with Robespierre's own turn at guillotine.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 01:04 PM   #1673
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If you're going to fight, win.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 01:07 PM   #1674
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Assassinated:
Abraham Lincoln
James Garfield
William McKinley

Wounded in attempts:
Theodore Roosevelt
Ronald Reagan

Avoided injury in an unsuccessful attempt:
Gerald Ford (Twice)
As was Harry Truman (also twice)

According to Wikipedia there have been 30 Presidentila assasination attempts. Some closer than others.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 01:08 PM   #1675
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Marriage is slavery.
It's only slavery if there's whips and chai.....

I've said too much.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th October 2018, 01:13 PM   #1676
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Question becomes what you mean by self defense.
Not getting your head broken when counterprotesting nazis.
Old 25th October 2018, 01:27 PM   #1677
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Mmm. If it actually is false, what are the chances that Trump made up the story himself and purposely "leaked" it as a distraction?
Interesting. The story originally broke in the Spring and then faded away.
Old 25th October 2018, 01:32 PM   #1678
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The most perfect example of that in my mind was Robespierre. He was against capital punishment and yet thought it was necessary at the time to achieve his ideal government of the people. He replaced the the tyranny of the Bourbons with his own reign of terror, the execution of Louis the 16th and Marie Antoinette. But his means justifying the ends approach resulted with Robespierre's own turn at guillotine.
Using bad Means seem to always end up corrupting the user.
The Irony of the French Revolution is it ended up in a Military Dictatorship.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th October 2018, 01:34 PM   #1679
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
If you're going to fight, win.
That might be justified in a actual war, but las time I looked we have not reached that stage..yet.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th October 2018, 01:34 PM   #1680
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

This man has no discernible sense of irony .
FTFY

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics