ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:04 PM   #41
dann
Philosopher

Visiting the USA while Being ...

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

While you're at it read the comment section in the video. Other people get it, but you don't.

One person put it simply, "Naive ad for Naive People"

I also read the comment section of the article you linked to in the OP, but unlike you I’ve known about this case for months. It was pretty big in Denmark, the country of one of the victims. The comment section appears to be what persuaded you to start this thread, which has worked out so well for you so far.
This is just one of the many things that you don't "get":

Quote:
Here’s how a State Department travel advisory might look for the land of the free.
The U.S. State Department warns of the risks of traveling to the United States.
Those considering travel to the United States should evaluate their personal security situation in light of heightened threats from political turmoil, crime, infectious disease and law enforcement agents. Millions of people visit the United States safely each year, but injury and death can occur at any time.
Personal Security
Travelers to the United States have been victims of violent crime, including homicide, rape and kidnapping. Threat of violence is high in the nation’s Midwest, following a high-profile shooting in August by a law enforcement officer in the village of Ferguson. Although reports indicate that subsequent protests have generally appeared measured and nonviolent, the use of armored personnel carriers, body armor and heavy weaponry by law enforcement officers indicates that the threat posed by organizing Americans is extreme.
Visitors belonging to a minority race should use particular caution when traveling to areas of the United States where police officers may be present. Ethnic and religious divisions continue to permeate political discourse across the country. Inflammatory sectarian rhetoric is particularly high in the nation’s capital, and in recent years has escalated so severely as to cause a complete shutdown of the federal government. Travelers should prepare an emergency evacuation plan in case of government shutdown.
What An American Travel Warning About America Would Look Like (Vocativ, Dec. 4, 2015)

ETA: And the risk of government shutdowns hasn't exactly decreased in recent years ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 21st February 2019 at 11:09 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 11:21 PM   #42
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I also read the comment section of the article you linked to in the OP, but unlike you I’ve known about this case for months. It was pretty big in Denmark, the country of one of the victims. The comment section appears to be what persuaded you to start this thread, which has worked out so well for you so far.
This is just one of the many things that you don't "get":

ETA: And the risk of government shutdowns hasn't exactly decreased in recent years ...
You're persuaded by vocativ. ok. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 11:37 PM   #43
Baylor
Philosopher

I saw the girls heads a few days after they were detached from their bodies. I started this thread as a concerned citizen of the world worried about the naivete of those living above the 56th parallel. Things work a lot differently when you leave the Arctic circle. People from that part of the world don't just seem to understand that.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 11:49 PM   #44
dann
Philosopher

So seeing the severed heads didn't concern Baylor. It took him several months to get to that stage. I wonder what his problem is with the "Arctic circle."

No, actually, I don't really wonder about that.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 11:50 PM   #45
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Oh, and FYI: The Arctic circle is much farther North than where most of us Scandinavians live.

Not that it matters, but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, so I just figured you might appreciate learning something new.
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:05 AM   #46
Baylor
Philosopher

So seeing the severed heads didn't concern Baylor. It took him several months to get to that stage. I wonder what his problem is with the "Arctic circle."

No, actually, I don't really wonder about that.
Already stated, the naivete of the people.
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:17 AM   #47
dann
Philosopher

That doesn't "clash" with "right-wing propaganda." That's actually the main point of "right-wing propaganda." "Right-wing propaganda" says scandanavia is better because it's full of white people, so much white supremacists want to move there.

So let me get this straight: There's no cognitive dissonance whatsoever in the wonderful world of Fox: It's just that Scandinavia, i.e. the "Arctic circle" "is better", mainly "because it's full of white people" who just happen to be "daft and naīve"!
By the way, white supremacists aren't more welcome around these parts than Islamic fanatics.
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:24 AM   #48
Baylor
Philosopher

So let me get this straight: There's no cognitive dissonance whatsoever in the wonderful world of Fox: It's just that Scandinavia, i.e. the "Arctic circle" "is better", mainly "because it's full of white people" who just happen to be "daft and naīve"!
By the way, white supremacists aren't more welcome around these parts than Islamic fanatics.
What kind of question is this? What do you want me to say to this? Seriously, have you been south of the 56th parallel?

Yes, daft people are preferred over this

Last edited by Baylor; 22nd February 2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:41 AM   #49
Baylor
Philosopher

There's that religious euphoria I was talking about.
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:57 AM   #50
dann
Philosopher

Yes, you're right, the KKK tend to be religious fanatics. I think that's why they're so fond of Christian crosses.

Last edited by dann; 22nd February 2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:02 AM   #51
dann
Philosopher

What kind of question is this? What do you want me to say to this?

Nothing, really. I didn't expect you to have anything interesting to say about this particular piece of cognitive dissonance.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:23 AM   #52
dann
Philosopher

Seriously, have you been south of the 56th parallel?

Do, for instance, New York, Washington, Chicago, Las Vegas, Shreveport, Lafayette, New Orleans, Viņales, Habana, Cienfuegos, Santa Clara, Camaguey, Gtmo, Santiago de Cuba, Bayamo, Las Palmas, Santa Cruz, Cape Verde, Istanbul or Manilla count? (Not to mention the EU cities on the continent of Europe ...)
Seriously, do you prefer to argue mainly ad ignorantiam? Or is it not a question of preference?
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:29 AM   #53
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
I'm betting he has never even been to Mexico or Canada.
Or the USA
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:31 AM   #54
Baylor
Philosopher

Yes, you're right, the KKK tend to be religious fanatics. I think that's why they're so fond of Christian crosses.
And the Danish, they're fond of sacrificing themselves to show how "not racist" they are.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:33 AM   #55
Baylor
Philosopher

Do, for instance, New York, Washington, Chicago, Las Vegas, Shreveport, Lafayette, New Orleans, Viņales, Habana, Cienfuegos, Santa Clara, Camaguey, Gtmo, Santiago de Cuba, Bayamo, Las Palmas, Santa Cruz, Cape Verde, Istanbul or Manilla count? (Not to mention the EU cities on the continent of Europe ...)
Seriously, do you prefer to argue mainly ad ignorantiam? Or is it not a question of preference?
Did the native people of those places exclaim to others how "not racist" they were?
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:34 AM   #56
Baylor
Philosopher

Nothing, really. I didn't expect you to have anything interesting to say about this particular piece of cognitive dissonance.
You're not using the term cognitive dissonance correctly.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:38 AM   #57
dann
Philosopher

And the Danish, they're fond of sacrificing themselves to show how "not racist" they are.

They are?! I didn't see anybody sacrificing themselves in this case. I saw a case of two murdered girls, obviously white, but definitely not white supremacists, one of them Danish. The rest is your absurd hyperbole.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:40 AM   #58
dann
Philosopher

You're not using the term cognitive dissonance correctly.

Yes, I am, you just fail to understand it. What else is new ...
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:46 AM   #59
Baylor
Philosopher

Yes, I am, you just fail to understand it. What else is new ...
No, don't use the term unless it's been explained to you. You're misusing it like many other people on the Internet.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:55 AM   #60
Baylor
Philosopher

They are?! I didn't see anybody sacrificing themselves in this case. I saw a case of two murdered girls, obviously white, but definitely not white supremacists, one of them Danish. The rest is your absurd hyperbole.
Yes. They come from high trust societies. In the recent years, they've begun experiencing religious euphoria over showing to other whites that they trust people from low trust societies, like Muslims. The more likely they are to be harmed, the more euphoria they feel. This was the case of these two women who were murdered.

Last edited by Baylor; 22nd February 2019 at 03:01 AM.
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:10 AM   #61
dann
Philosopher

Did the native people of those places exclaim to others how "not racist" they were?

Most of the people I met, native or not, weren't racists. It isn't usually necessary to "exclaim to others how "not racist"" you are. Are you aware that it's just another example of your own hyperbole - even the apparent quotation?
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:14 AM   #62
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
So despite me trying to discuss the topic, Lambchops has derailed and ruined yet another thread with his personal insults and off-topic antics. I for one am sick of this non-contributor constantly doing this and he needs to be BANNED. Every single post from him is an insult or a derail. He's an absolute scourge on this site and I'm happy to take a yellow to call him out and make that point.

The 'derail' took place in the OP where Baylor attempted to make a couple of innocent victims appear to be daft and naīve. Pointing that out is not a derail even though, of course, it's not where Baylor wanted the thread to go.
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:18 AM   #63
baron

The 'derail' took place in the OP where Baylor attempted to make a couple of innocent victims appear to be daft and naīve. Pointing that out is not a derail even though, of course, it's not where Baylor wanted the thread to go.
No, that's part of the topic. You might disagree with it but that's a perfectly valid discussion point. The locations where Baylor has been on holiday is not. All this will go to AAH anyway, which I imagine was the intention, so it's pointless to try and resurrect the thread.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:24 AM   #64
dann
Philosopher

Yes. They come from high trust societies.

Yes, they do. Nothing wrong with that, however.

Quote:
In the recent years, they've begun experiencing religious euphoria over showing to other whites that they trust people from low trust societies, like Muslims.

No, they haven't. The one who experienced "euphoria" was the writer of the OP when he discovered that an anti-racist had been killed by Muslim extremists.

Quote:
The more likely they are to be harmed, the more euphoria they feel.

So what made the random victims of religious extremists more likely to be harmed than everybody else? Nothing whatsoever.

Quote:
This was the case of these two women who were murdered.

In your dreams, apparently! By the way, many Danish skeptics, including this one, have criticized the way that the Muslim minority in Denmark were treated, for instance when the pseudo-brave newspaper Jyllands-Posten published its Muhammad drawings. And it has absolutely nothing to do with "religious euphoria over showing to other whites that they trust people from low trust societies, like Muslims."
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:51 AM   #65
Baylor
Philosopher

So what made the random victims of religious extremists more likely to be harmed than everybody else? Nothing whatsoever.
Their daftness and naivete. Their lack of understanding there are millions of Muslim men in the world who want to kill them. Along with their sex and color of skin.

Last edited by Baylor; 22nd February 2019 at 04:10 AM.
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:57 AM   #66
Baylor
Philosopher

The question is if Baylor knows anything at all about the world that he is writing about.
Considering just about every person commenting on the topic thinks the same thing I do about the ignorance of Western women, yes. Nearly every comment on the YouTube video and article have stated that these girls were brainwashed by Western propaganda. You haven't even put forth an argument stating otherwise.

Last edited by Baylor; 22nd February 2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:02 AM   #67
Baylor
Philosopher

The OP should have gone to AAH immediately. Posting it in Social Issues & Current Events instead of in AAH was the first mistake. Since Baylor seemed to be obsessed with the location where the girls went on holiday,
I barely mentioned it. I was more focused on the brainwashing campaign these poor girls had to endure. I find it alarming young people in Europe (however few there are) are not being taught that different rules apply in different parts of the world. Whether it's Dutch girls in South America, Germans in Death Valley (not bringing water to death valley in July (LOL)). High trust social welfare nanny states don't exist outside your lily white countries. When you leave your white nanny states, different rules apply. And if you don't understand this, it could cost you your life. As was the case with these two girls.

Last edited by Baylor; 22nd February 2019 at 04:18 AM.
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:14 AM   #68
Baylor
Philosopher

Most of the people I met, native or not, weren't racists. It isn't usually necessary to "exclaim to others how "not racist"" you are. Are you aware that it's just another example of your own hyperbole - even the apparent quotation?
That beheaded Norwegian girl sure thought it was. And if she had been racist, she'd still be alive.

Last edited by Baylor; 22nd February 2019 at 04:16 AM.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:36 AM   #69
dann
Philosopher

Their daftness and naivete.

Are your invention.

Quote:
Their lack of understanding there are millions of Muslim men in the world who want to kill them.

No, there aren't, but there are millions of Muslim men and women in Morocco who were appalled at the murders.

Quote:
Along with their sex and color of skin.

What along with their sex and color of skin??! Their sex and skin die with them? Yes, of course. You make as little sense now as you did from the very beginning.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:39 AM   #70
dann
Philosopher

That beheaded Norwegian girl sure thought it was. And if she had been racist, she'd still be alive.

No, she didn't, and no, she wouldn't. However, they might still have been alive if Jyllands-Posten hadn't posted its stupid Muhammad drawing, which made Danes a target for Muslim extremists.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:47 AM   #71
dann
Philosopher

I barely mentioned it. I was more focused on the brainwashing campaign these poor girls had to endure. I find it alarming young people in Europe (however few there are) are not being taught that different rules apply in different parts of the world. Whether it's Dutch girls in South America, Germans in Death Valley (not bringing water to death valley in July (LOL)). High trust social welfare nanny states don't exist outside your lily white countries. When you leave your white nanny states, different rules apply. And if you don't understand this, it could cost you your life. As was the case with these two girls.

Or American girls in the harbor of Copenhagen. Yes, those tourists from their nanny states who don't know how to take proper precautions, right?
By the way, I thought you said that the white supremacists wanted to move to our "white nanny states." More right-wing cognitive dissonance.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:50 AM   #72
Baylor
Philosopher

Or American girls in the harbor of Copenhagen. Yes, those tourists from their nanny states who don't know how to take proper precautions, right?
By the way, I thought you said that the white supremacists wanted to move to our "white nanny states." More right-wing cognitive dissonance.
Stop misusing that term.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:51 AM   #73
Baylor
Philosopher

No, there aren't, but there are millions of Muslim men and women in Morocco who were appalled at the murders.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:54 AM   #74
dann
Philosopher

Considering just about every person commenting on the topic thinks the same thing I do about the ignorance of Western women, yes.

No, not in this thread. Not at all. Do you know how to count?!

Quote:
Nearly every comment on the YouTube video and article have stated that these girls were brainwashed by Western propaganda.

And you appear to think that's an argument!

Quote:
You haven't even put forth an argument stating otherwise.

I have, and you consider arguments against your non-sensical ideas a derail.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:55 AM   #75
dann
Philosopher

So being appalled by extremists murdering two Scandinavian girls is religious euphoria now?!
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:56 AM   #76
dann
Philosopher

Stop misusing that term.

Stop pretending that you know what it means.
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:00 AM   #77
Baylor
Philosopher

No, she didn't, and no, she wouldn't. However, they might still have been alive if Jyllands-Posten hadn't posted its stupid Muhammad drawing, which made Danes a target for Muslim extremists.
That's some bizarre mental gymnastics and religious thinking. I get it's part of your religion to blame whites when Muslims behead two girls (oh that sweet euphoria) but it makes no sense. The makers of that dumb video were far more culpable in the murders of those girls.

How is that even a thing? It's wonderful when a white man gets busted for drug crimes because he's not a Muslim? What? I don't get it. This is suppose to induce some kind of tingles in the stomach of its followers or something. I'm seriously baffled by that video. I know I'm not part of this religion so I don't "get it." So I take it if you don't hear Beethoven's 9th symphony when a white men gets busted for a drug crime, you're an evil racist. Can you explain this video to a non-believer? I know this religion is kind of new so even its preachers don't have it figured out but can you try to make sense out of it?
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:03 AM   #78
Baylor
Philosopher

Stop pretending that you know what it means.
Sigh. Before the mods nuke yet another one of my threads I'll do you this one favor and explain it for you.

Cognitive dissonance is when one's attitude is incongruent with one's behavior. I'll give you an example pertinent to this thread.

Imagine someone has negative attitudes about Muslims. (understandable). How would you change her negative attitude to a positive one? You change her behavior. You get her--usually through positive reinforcement--to praise Islam and say how it is "the religion of peace." You reward her for that behavior, use negative reinforcement or punishment if her attitude is not conducive with positive appraisal of Muslims. Because her behavior is incongruent with her attitude, she will experience cognitive dissonance. Her attitudes will then shift with her behavior. She will then have positive attitudes about Muslims and share poorly directed pro-Muslim videos on facebook.

To change someone's attitude, you have to change her behavior--not the other way around. And that's where the term "brainwashing" comes from.

Two incongruent thoughts is not the proper definition of "cognitive dissonance." Thinking two incompatible thoughts is normal human cognition.
Now as someone familiar with the term and a native English speaker, please stop.

Last edited by Baylor; 22nd February 2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:07 AM   #79
baron

However, they might still have been alive if Jyllands-Posten hadn't posted its stupid Muhammad drawing, which made Danes a target for Muslim extremists.
Don't Make the Muslims Angry.

Do you reckon these girls understood that a person drawing a cartoon of a long dead guy could result in millions of Muslims across the world regarding them as a valid target for beheading?

If not, why not?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:13 AM   #80
Baylor
Philosopher

So being appalled by extremists murdering two Scandinavian girls is religious euphoria now?!
A Scandinavian man believing (or pretending to believe) millions of Muslims are appalled by extremists murdering two Scandinavian girls is religious euphoria.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events