ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , lawsuits , Sandy Hook , shooting conspiracies

Old 14th February 2019, 06:42 PM   #281
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Do the second, and you have commited perjury and could go to jail.
He's screwed either way. Tell the truth now under oath, and the plaintiffs can argue that his former, allegedly defamatory, statements accusing them of being crisis actors were made with reckless -- if not intentional and malicious -- disregard for the truth. Admitting that you knew your alleged defamation wasn't true is tantamount to admitting it was unjustly defamatory. This is undoubtedly why Jones fought not to be deposed under oath.

I doubt Jones cares about his listeners at all. But he might lose sponsors, and that's where it hurts.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 07:30 PM   #282
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Good ole Alex will tell the truth on the deposition as I am sure it is just an act then afterwards he'll tell his fans that he was just saying what was necessary to the 'man'.
Well that would amount to publicly stating that he lied in his deposition. I am pretty certain that the lawyers for the families will be watching everything he does online, and every public pronouncement he makes.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 05:51 AM   #283
ThirdTimeLucky
New Blood

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well that would amount to publicly stating that he lied in his deposition. I am pretty certain that the lawyers for the families will be watching everything he does online, and every public pronouncement he makes.
Have these poor folk not suffered enough?
ThirdTimeLucky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 06:17 AM   #284
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

We should start an over/under pool on how many times the lawyers ask him, "Were you lying then, or are you lying now?"

I'll take "10".
Old 15th February 2019, 07:20 AM   #285
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
We should start an over/under pool on how many times the lawyers ask him, "Were you lying then, or are you lying now?"

I'll take "10".
The only correct answer to that question would be "yes". So he'll say no.
Old 15th February 2019, 07:38 AM   #286
RandyK47
Scholar

I think the best out for him would be along the lines of “I thought at the time based on the facts and evidence I was seeing that Sandy Hook was staged. I realize now I had bad or incomplete information. “
RandyK47 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 07:49 AM   #287
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RandyK47 View Post
I think the best out for him would be along the lines of “I thought at the time based on the facts and evidence I was seeing that Sandy Hook was staged. I realize now I had bad or incomplete information. “
Yes, the "walk a narrow line" strategy might work. If I were cross-examining for the plaintiffs, I would then say in court, "So, Mr. Jones, does that mean you failed to diligently discover the facts before you decided to air public statements about the plaintiffs? Do you realize that you had a duty to do so? You carried on making those statements for years even though there was considerable discussion and debate in the media regarding the truthfulness and factual foundation of them. How is it that you have re-examined the evidence and changed your conclusion only after you faced legal action?"

Assuming the marketing materials the plaintiffs got after their discovery motion were granted don't tell a rosy picture of his dedication to truth and careful research, I feel a good legal team wouldn't have much trouble establishing malicious intent even with a carefully penitent deposition.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 07:55 AM   #288
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He'll fall back on some variation of the "I'm just reporting what people are talking about" excuse that forms the backbone of right wing news. All he has to do is provide one "report" (which in this day in age can be an random anoynous online yahoo) and he'll be able to hide behind it.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 10:17 AM   #289
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Yes, the "walk a narrow line" strategy might work. If I were cross-examining for the plaintiffs, I would then say in court, "So, Mr. Jones, does that mean you failed to diligently discover the facts before you decided to air public statements about the plaintiffs? Do you realize that you had a duty to do so? You carried on making those statements for years even though there was considerable discussion and debate in the media regarding the truthfulness and factual foundation of them. How is it that you have re-examined the evidence and changed your conclusion only after you faced legal action?"

Assuming the marketing materials the plaintiffs got after their discovery motion were granted don't tell a rosy picture of his dedication to truth and careful research, I feel a good legal team wouldn't have much trouble establishing malicious intent even with a carefully penitent deposition.
Engage the brain prior to opening one's mouth.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 10:22 AM   #290
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

As much as I detest Jones and his ilk, I imagine this is going to be a difficult case for them to win. 1A is very protective of journalistic speech, even journalism that is pure conspiracy tabloid trash. I will be curious to see what approach the plaintiffs take in this case.
Old 16th February 2019, 05:11 AM   #291
JesseCuster
Muse

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Analogy

I go in for a medical test. I want the results to be accurate. I hope they are negative.

No one thinks I want the results to be negative regardless if I have an illness or not. I'm also not taking the test necessarily with the presumption that i don't have the illness.
Better analogy:

You are suffering and in pain so you go to see the doctor.

The doctor orders some tests to see if Disease X is responsible for your suffering and pain.

You hope the test comes back negative, not because it will show that Disease X isn't the cause of your suffering, but because your logic is that people with Disease X are more likely to have the pain you suffered than people who don't have Disease X, and you hope for a negative test result so that you can conclude that it's less likely that your suffering actually existed in the first place.

As if the existence of your pain and suffering was up for debate.

That these people have suffered because of the disgusting accusations thrown at them is not really up for discussion. There's no way that the parents haven't suffered because of the harassment (on top of the nightmare of having their children murderer). The courts will decide, I imagine, whether or not it meets the legal standards for defamation or whatever exactly is being sued for, and whether or not Alex Jones can be held responsible for their suffering. The fine legal points aren't important for the point I'm making.

Hoping for a certain verdict so that you can conclude it's less likely that established facts are true is such a failure of logic that it makes me wonder if you really believe what you're saying and that you're not just arguing for the sake of arguing.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 07:47 AM   #292
Major Major
Critical Thinker

One wonders; how are the parents going to take it during discovery when Jones's lawyers ask when they became crisis actors, how much were they paid, and are they ready to provide pay stubs?

Okay, so the parents won't testify. Then, they will be called out as being unwilling to defend their accusations in court.

Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 12:13 PM   #293
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Hoping for a certain verdict so that you can conclude it's less likely that established facts are true is such a failure of logic that it makes me wonder if you really believe what you're saying and that you're not just arguing for the sake of arguing.

...and the red, red robin comes bob, bob, bobbin' along, along.....
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 01:16 PM   #294
bknight
Graduate Poster

...and the red, red robin comes bob, bob, bobbin' along, along.....
"And the beat goes on."
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:58 PM   #295
Whip
Graduate Poster

lol. ultimate dumbass in litigation goes on Rogan and blames 'anomalies'

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:07 PM   #296
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
lol. ultimate dumbass in litigation goes on Rogan and blames 'anomalies'

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Hw thinks the judges in this case are not following his antics?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:47 PM   #297
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hw thinks the judges in this case are not following his antics?
he really thinks he is far more important than he really is which is not at all.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 11:55 AM   #298
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by RandyK47 View Post

That's exactly what he just did on the Rogan show. For maybe twenty minutes. The rest of the almost five hours seems to be him doing everything he can to look as crazy as possible. Nazis taking DMT got tech from the clockwork elves from other dimensions and stuff. Literally. Elves which he himself met in his childhood.
Old 28th February 2019, 12:10 PM   #299
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
That's exactly what he just did on the Rogan show. For maybe twenty minutes. The rest of the almost five hours seems to be him doing everything he can to look as crazy as possible. Nazis taking DMT got tech from the clockwork elves from other dimensions and stuff. Literally. Elves which he himself met in his childhood.
Maybe his lawyer neglected to inform him that an insanity defense won't work in a civil suit.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:11 AM   #300
MicahJava
Master Poster

So... who gets to be on the "panel of people who judge free speech"? Wouldn't they be as bias as any other human? Delusional too, considering that most humans in the world believes in God, the supernatural, superstitions, etc.
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:27 AM   #301
MicahJava
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Alex Jones can at least provide some corroborating eyewitness evidence for DMT elves, unlike God, which is what most of the people who are judging him believe in. NOBODY should be trusted to be on a "panel of people who judge which speech is allowed".
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:28 AM   #302
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
So... who gets to be on the "panel of people who judge free speech"? Wouldn't they be as bias as any other human? Delusional too, considering that most humans in the world believes in God, the supernatural, superstitions, etc.
Irrelevant for this part.

Alex Jones was perfectly within his rights to slander someone, but equally, if they can prove it is slander according to federal law, then he can be sued.

http://kellywarnerlaw.com/us-defamation-laws/

Quote:
To win a U.S. defamation lawsuit, the plaintiff, at the very least, must prove that the defendant:
  • Published or otherwise broadcast an unprivileged, false statement of fact about the plaintiff;
  • Caused material harm to the plaintiff by publishing or broadcasting said false statement of fact;
  • Acted either negligently or with actual malice;
To me it looks pretty clear that Alex Jones has defamed the victims' parents by meeting those criteria and then some.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:34 AM   #303
MicahJava
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Alex Jones was perfectly within his rights to slander someone, but equally, if they can prove it is slander according to federal law, then he can be sued.

To me it looks pretty clear that Alex Jones has defamed the victims' parents by meeting those criteria and then some.
The Sandy Hook parents CHOSE to go on television for media interviews. If you can't accuse them of being actors, who can you?

By the way, the 1967 Operation Northwoods memo, 1990 Nayirah testimony, and the 2003 Bush-Blair Iraq memo are all real-life examples of crisis actor conspiracies involving the United States. Even more reasons why the United States should rightfully allow this behavior, clearly conspiracy watchdogs are important in society in order to prevent something like this from happening.
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:38 AM   #304
MicahJava
Master Poster

All evidence that the Sandy Hook victims are "victims" comes from the U.S. Government, the same government that originated 1967 Operation Northwoods memo, 1990 Nayirah testimony, and the 2003 Bush-Blair Iraq memo. Clearly, the U.S. Government is not a 100% reliable source of information, so some level of intuition must be involved. Intuition should not be allowed in court.
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:45 AM   #305
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Uh, belief in god <> auto-bias.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:48 AM   #306
3point14
Pi

Whose right to free speech was restricted in this instance?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:17 AM   #307
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Quote:
To win a U.S. defamation lawsuit, the plaintiff, at the very least, must prove that the defendant:
Published or otherwise broadcast an unprivileged, false statement of fact about the plaintiff;
Caused material harm to the plaintiff by publishing or broadcasting said false statement of fact;
Acted either negligently or with actual malice;

Would incompetence be a defence?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:25 AM   #308
Cainkane1
Philosopher

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43799449

I hope the bastard gets taken to the cleaners
The Sandy Hook massacre happened. A lunatic got his hands on a repeating rifle and killed those innocent children and adults. American society is going to have to try and keep weapons like these out of the hands of people mentally unfit to own them. The murderer in question actually didn't own that rifle but he stole it from the house. When you have someone obviously insane living in the house with you-you lock the gun up.

His parents were his first victims. He spared society a trial by killing himself but this could have been stopped way before it happend in the first place.
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:29 AM   #309
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Would incompetence be a defence?
I don't know, if I'm an incompetent doctor and kill someone through my decisions, is that medical negligence on my part?

It's almost as if incompetence is a subset of negligence. Unfortunately, I have no reason to believe that Jones is incompetent, but highly malicious.

Remember, during his children's custody trial, he claimed it was all an act. I *really* hope that bites him in this trial.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:47 AM   #310
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

NOBODY should be trusted to be on a "panel of people who judge which speech is allowed".

I couldn't agree more, but that DMT elves stuff was nothing I ever connected to Alex Jones, so I thought it was worth mentioning in the context of this thread (and yes, maybe he did it to prepare some "insanity defense").

In fact I recently re-watched Jon Ronson's documentary about David Icke ("The Lizards and the Jews", on youtube, worth watching), where in 2001 a young and angry Alex Jones is very vocal about how he thinks Icke says a lot of good things but then discredits everything with the stuff about Reptilians from another dimension, and that he thinks it's likely because Icke's an agent. But hey, that was almost 20 years ago, and people can change. Yet now he says he has childhood experiences with those elves and other dimensions, so either he lied back then or lies now.

My opinion on both those characters has remained the same in all the time of observation: Icke believes what he says and has remained consistent, while Jones has so often changed his tune and behaved so destructively that I can only see him as a con artist.

Which doesn't mean that any one of them should be censored or "de-platformed" in any way.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 2nd March 2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: damn that guy is named Jon Ronson, not Ron Jonson
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:55 AM   #311
bknight
Graduate Poster

Thumbs up

All evidence that the Sandy Hook victims are "victims" comes from the U.S. Government, the same government that originated 1967 Operation Northwoods memo, 1990 Nayirah testimony, and the 2003 Bush-Blair Iraq memo. Clearly, the U.S. Government is not a 100% reliable source of information, so some level of intuition must be involved. Intuition should not be allowed in court.
No that's not correct, they are victims by the very fact that children and adults were killed. It has nothing to do with the Government declaring them victims.
Old 2nd March 2019, 12:50 PM   #312
Axxman300
Illuminator

Buddy, you might as well believe in them too. It might help your credibility.

Plus, it's in a court of law. Due process is being served to the fullest, and there is no verdict yet.
Old 2nd March 2019, 12:52 PM   #313
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Children are dead. You don't care. We get that.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:22 PM   #314
Axxman300
Illuminator

The Sandy Hook parents CHOSE to go on television for media interviews. If you can't accuse them of being actors, who can you?
There is a difference between being an actor and an activist.

Some kid stormed a grammar school and killed a bunch of kids. I know human emotions are an alien concept to you, but the parents of the murdered kids were a little upset by this event, and a FEW decided to use their grief productively by speaking out against what they perceive as easy access to military firearms.

I will remind you that Freedom of Speech applies to them too.

Quote:
By the way, the 1967 Operation Northwoods memo, 1990 Nayirah testimony, and the 2003 Bush-Blair Iraq memo are all real-life examples of crisis actor conspiracies involving the United States.
Northwoods was a JFK-NSC whitepaper that was part of a list of ways to invade Cuba based on events of opportunity. It never left the room...because it was a dumb idea that would never work.

The 1990 "Nayirah Testimony" was fabricated, but also unnecessary as the Iraqi occupation forces were carrying out plenty of murder to go around.

Here's the Human Rights Watch version:

https://www.hrw.org/reports/1992/WR92/MEW1-02.htm

And the Bush-Blair Memo? In the end we didn't need it or use it. We just up and invaded on blind faith we'd find WMD's.

*Should point out that if we knew for certain they didn't have WMD's we would have flown some in for our advancing forces to "find'. CTists never think of that*

Quote:
Even more reasons why the United States should rightfully allow this behavior, clearly conspiracy watchdogs are important in society in order to prevent something like this from happening.
There's a difference between a watch-dog for government behavior, and a clown car.

More to the point, at this moment, in this thread you, Micha Java are a tool of right-wing extremists. The Sandy Hook False Flag CT is based on the right-wing fear that the US Government is going to repeal the 2nd Amendment, and send stormtroopers to take their guns and kill them in the process. Furthermore, this particular CT is enhanced because our POTUS was a black man, which was the right-wing's greatest fear come to life.

The question is this, are you a willing Alt-Right tool, or just another fool?

Simple facts:

27 people, 20 of those children, were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary when Adam Lanza stormed the place. He later shot himself.

This was in 2012. Since then there have been no new Federal Laws passed on battle rifles, and people can still buy AR-15 variants.

We have also had the Pulse Nightclub, and the Las Vegas mass shootings. Still no new laws.

How can anyone claim false flags when there have been zero results?
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:53 PM   #315
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This is not correct. The parents of the children, unconnected to the US Government have told us they are dead. The local police, sheriff, and emergency response told us who and how many died and they aren't part of the US Government. Multiple independent news outlets related the deaths. Random citizens who lived near the school reported on the aspects of the attack they were aware of or were told of by the children they sheltered. You should retract this as you a demonstrably wrong.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:02 PM   #316
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

By the way, the 1967 Operation Northwoods memo, 1990 Nayirah testimony, and the 2003 Bush-Blair Iraq memo are all real-life examples of crisis actor conspiracies involving the United States. Even more reasons why the United States should rightfully allow this behavior, clearly conspiracy watchdogs are important in society in order to prevent something like this from happening.
Please provide proof that any of these parents are actors. Many of the parents still live in the area and continue with their employment. Going on the news after this tragedy would not qualify someone as an actor. Using your logic, everyone the local news crews talk to would qualify as an actor. Again, absent proof you should retract your statement.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:07 PM   #317
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Alex Jones the conspiracy watchdog that barks all day, howls at the moon and humps your guest’s leg.
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:18 PM   #318
fuelair
Banned

It's a real shame they can't sue him for living!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:30 PM   #319
Whip
Graduate Poster

I don't know how people can listen to him. I kept waiting to get hit with a phlegm ball.
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:34 PM   #320
MicahJava
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
This is not correct. The parents of the children, unconnected to the US Government have told us they are dead. The local police, sheriff, and emergency response told us who and how many died and they aren't part of the US Government. Multiple independent news outlets related the deaths. Random citizens who lived near the school reported on the aspects of the attack they were aware of or were told of by the children they sheltered. You should retract this as you a demonstrably wrong.
The 1962 Operation Northwoods memo mentions the use of "funerals for mock victims". I don't know what their plan was for a possible exhumation, but the fact remains that somebody thought it out that far. So the point stands.

Last edited by MicahJava; 2nd March 2019 at 03:41 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events