ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 14th March 2019, 06:59 PM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Anti-Muslim Terrorist Attack in... NZ?

It appears we have an active shooter at mosques in Christchurch, who has killed several people.

I'll keep updating as more is known.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:01 PM   #2
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Not only is the shooter still at large, current reports have shots at Christchurch Hospital, where the injured are being taken.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:04 PM   #3
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Crikey, the site of the mosque at the centre of the attack is next to Hagley Park.

I hope the cricket's ok for tomorrow.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:06 PM   #4
deadrose
Illuminator

My condolences to NZ.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:06 PM   #5
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The Bangladesh team is safe.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:06 PM   #6
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Update says that the shooting was with an automatic weapon (very rare in NZ) and went on for at least several minutes. The city is fairly well locked down everywhere.

Cop chopper is looking for the perp now - still at large.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:12 PM   #7
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Update saying there were 2-300 people in the mosque at prayer, with possibly most of them at least injured.

Truly bizarre, this kind of stuff doesn't happen here.

But if it was going to, it was going to be in Christchurch.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:18 PM   #8
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Certainly a lot of ambulances and stretchers going into Christchurch Hospital.

Going by the calmness of the people there I'd say the hospital is safe.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:19 PM   #9
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

There's a report of a bomb in a car on Strickland St.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...-incident-live
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:24 PM   #10
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Damn, when we hit the international news desks we hit it hard.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:32 PM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
shooting was with an automatic weapon (very rare in NZ)
Is that fully automatic (machine gun), or semi-auto?

Wow there are a lot of injured and there must be deaths it would seem.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:33 PM   #12
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

ABC: Christchurch mosque shooting sees armed police deployed and schools in lockdown; up to a dozen injured

BBC: New Zealand mosque shooting: Active shooter reported at Christchurch mosque

CNN: Reported mass shooting at mosque in New Zealand city of Christchurch

What we know so far:

Quote:
At 1:40pm a gunman entered the Masjid Al Noor Mosque in central Christchurch and opened fire
There are reports of casualties with local media are reporting at least six dead, though police have not confirmed the number of those injured or dead.
This is an active shooter situation, with police responding to more gunshots fired at other locations across the city.
The city remains under lockdown, with central Christchurch evacuated, children who were participating in the climate strikes were evacuated, schools are under lockdown.
Police have confirmed to the Guardian that there is a bomb in a car that has crashed on Strickland Street in the city. People are being evacuated from the area.
Police are entering properties in Deyell Crescent, they are telling evacuees “you don’t want to know what is happening”.
Prime minister Jacinda Ardern cancelled all her afternoon activities and is set to address media at 4pm local time (in about half an hour).
source, just now.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:34 PM   #13
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Hagley mosque and Linwood mosque simultaneousy at Friday prayer time.

Multiple magazines and multiple casualties.

Geezes

All schools, council buildings in lockdown.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:36 PM   #14
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Reports from people in the mosque say they think 20-30 dead/badly injured
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:37 PM   #15
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

The shooter livestreamed the shooting on Facebook.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:42 PM   #16
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The shooter livestreamed the shooting on Facebook.
I have seen what is apparently their Twitter

Nutjob

Old 14th March 2019, 07:42 PM   #17
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I don't know anything about the religious situation in New Zealand. Are there many people there who hate Muslims and want to kill them? If so, are the haters Christians or Jewish, or what?
Old 14th March 2019, 07:45 PM   #18
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I don't know anything about the religious situation in New Zealand. Are there many people there who hate Muslims and want to kill them? If so, are the haters Christians or Jewish, or what?
Not really to speak of.

We are one of the most non religious country's in the world

We have racists like every where. But they all tend to get sheepish when called on it

Old 14th March 2019, 07:47 PM   #19
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

That claim was a full auto, but I expect it will be a semi.

Wow there are a lot of injured and there must be deaths it would seem.
Hard to tell - the cops have released very little information, but the numbers going to the hospital don't seem to be in the dozens so far.

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Reports from people in the mosque say they think 20-30 dead/badly injured
I heard 20-30 on the ground.

None of the above, usually. We're largely religious-mania free.

Clearly a planned attack at the worst time.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:47 PM   #20
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Early reports said automatic. That hasn't been repeated as far as I can see. It would be VERY unusual if that were the case. I think it's far more likely to be semi-auto, but nothing has been confirmed yet.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:48 PM   #21
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I have seen what is apparently their Twitter

Nutjob
They're saying that's definitely his.

Just another complete WS loony.

Where the hell did he get the gun? I wouldn't want to be the bloke who sold it to him.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:50 PM   #22
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Holy crap - the guy was so extreme he got booted off Mega back when Kim Dotcom owned it.

Some heads at the SIS will be rolling here.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:54 PM   #23
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The #1 reporter at the hospital reckons 20-25 ambulances have arrived at hospital and none in the past half hour or so.

Casualties may hopefully have been overstated.

Was wearing camo gear... (David Gray have any living relatives?)
Old 14th March 2019, 07:54 PM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

From Wikipedia...

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Christianity is the predominant religion in New Zealand, although its society is among the most secular in the world. In the 2013 census, 55.0% of the population identified with one or more religions, including 49.0% identifying as Christians. Another 41.9% indicated that they had no religion. The main Christian denominations are, by number of adherents, Roman Catholicism (12.6%), Anglicanism (11.8%), Presbyterianism (8.5%) and "Christian not further defined" (i.e. people identifying as Christian but not stating the denomination, 5.5%). The Māori-based Ringatū and Rātana religions (1.4%) are also Christian in origin. Immigration and demographic change in recent decades has contributed to the growth of minority religions, such as Hinduism (2.1%), Buddhism (1.5%), Islam (1.2%) and Sikhism (0.5%). The Auckland Region exhibited the greatest religious diversity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand

So, it's 49% Christian and 1.2% Islam.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:54 PM   #25
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I have sort of skimmed through the thread, but latest reports are 9 dead

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:56 PM   #26
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This is one attacker?

He's shooting up the mosque and then the hospital and then the car bomb is his too?
Old 14th March 2019, 07:59 PM   #27
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Two Mosques attacked, this is a terrorist act.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 07:59 PM   #28
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Geezes

Radio live saying a newshub source says at least 27 dead so far.

Reliability of source hope not good

Cops said they have caught one

Old 14th March 2019, 07:59 PM   #29
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This is one attacker?

He's shooting up the mosque and then the hospital and then the car bomb is his too?
We don't know yet. This is an ongoing, active situation. Check my links upthread for live blogs.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:03 PM   #30
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

NZ Herald is saying that they have a shooter in custody. The guy claiming responsibility is a Australian!

Old 14th March 2019, 08:05 PM   #31
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The man said he did not originally plan to carry out the attack in New Zealand. He said he came to New Zealand temporarily to plan and train.

"I soon found out that New Zealand was as target rich of an environment as anywhere
else in the West," he wrote.

"Secondly an attack in New Zealand would bring to attention the truth of the assault on our civilisation, that no where in the world was safe, the invaders were in all of our lands, even in the remotest areas of the world and that there was no where left to go that was safe and free from mass immigration."
This is Terrorism, plain and simply. Also a hate crime.

Old 14th March 2019, 08:07 PM   #32
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yes, one suspect in custody, confirmed by the PM.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:08 PM   #33
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The gunman shot up one mosque, and then another a few minutes later. The hospital was placed on lockdown but as yet officials haven't said anything about any shooting there, or anywhere else except the two mosques. The hospital lockdown was precautionary perhaps.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 08:08 PM   #34
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Police are saying there may have been at least 2 gunmen.

Old 14th March 2019, 08:09 PM   #35
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
This is Terrorism, plain and simply. Also a hate crime.
What's the source on that quote?
Old 14th March 2019, 08:10 PM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
What's the source on that quote?
Common sense?
Old 14th March 2019, 08:11 PM   #37
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Worse day since Aramoana

Old 14th March 2019, 08:12 PM   #38
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Common sense?
No, the quote that PhantomWolf quoted, which doesn't nest inside another quote.

ETA: This one:

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf
Quote:
The man said he did not originally plan to carry out the attack in New Zealand. He said he came to New Zealand temporarily to plan and train.

"I soon found out that New Zealand was as target rich of an environment as anywhere
else in the West," he wrote.

"Secondly an attack in New Zealand would bring to attention the truth of the assault on our civilisation, that no where in the world was safe, the invaders were in all of our lands, even in the remotest areas of the world and that there was no where left to go that was safe and free from mass immigration."
Old 14th March 2019, 08:12 PM   #39
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

NZ Herald has photos. He brought multiple guns including shotguns.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12213076
Old 14th March 2019, 08:13 PM   #40
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
No, the quote that PhantomWolf quoted, which doesn't nest inside another quote.
NZ Herald says...

Quote:
In a 74-page manifesto published online he outlined who he was and why he carried out the massacre at the Christchurch mosque.
So his manifesto is online and that's where that quote comes from?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events