ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 14th April 2019, 04:13 PM   #41
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Theoretical question: Since Trump is vermin, couldn't we just call Pest Control to have him removed from office? Not suggesting any harm to him, they could live trap him using a Big Mac as bait.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 04:54 PM   #42
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That's incorrect. The IRS or Internal Revenue Service has been given that deadline. They are the branch of the United States that processes tax returns. Theoretically and legally, the President has no authority to tell the IRS to do anything.
Minor nitpick, but the request goes to the Secretary of the Treasury, and not to the IRS.

The President is the head of the executive branch. The IRS is part of the executive branch. While the president doesn't have any direct authority over rank and file IRS members, he can, and does, set policy directives. He is in the chain of command, so to speak.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 05:10 PM   #43
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Minor nitpick, but the request goes to the Secretary of the Treasury, and not to the IRS.

The President is the head of the executive branch. The IRS is part of the executive branch. While the president doesn't have any direct authority over rank and file IRS members, he can, and does, set policy directives. He is in the chain of command, so to speak.
Not really a nitpick. Yes, the IRS is a branch of the executive branch,. However, it is supposed to follow the law and POTUS cannot tell them to disobey the law. He may not order an audit or tell the IRS to selectively ignore a company or citizen. In theory, he is their boss, but their allegiance is to the law. And the law on this is very clear.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 05:13 PM   #44
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Not really a nitpick. Yes, the IRS is a branch of the executive branch,. However, it is supposed to follow the law and POTUS cannot tell them to disobey the law. He may not order an audit or tell the IRS to selectively ignore a company or citizen. In theory, he is their boss, but their allegiance is to the law. And the law on this is very clear.
So, like the police, Trump is their "boss" and "signs their paychecks", but doesn't set or administer the laws they have to uphold as part of their jobs.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 05:32 PM   #45
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Theoretical question: Since Trump is vermin, couldn't we just call Pest Control to have him removed from office? Not suggesting any harm to him, they could live trap him using a Big Mac as bait.
A humane trap which confines him without hurting him, and then transport to some confined habitat made to feel like his natural environment, like the office and living quarters environment of a skyscraper . Give him a cell phone so he can send tweets, and allow spectators so he can hold rallies.

I'm sure everyone would be eternally grateful, and he will be much happier than in his current situation in the wild.
Old 14th April 2019, 05:33 PM   #46
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Only if they burn it to a crisp and put ketchup on it.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 05:38 PM   #47
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Such a “puff piece” on Nancy Pelosi by @60minutes, yet her leadership has passed no meaningful Legislation. All they do is Investigate, as it turns out, crimes that they instigated & committed. The Mueller No Collusion decision wasn’t even discussed-and she was a disaster at W.H.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 05:53 PM   #48
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
So, like the police, Trump is their "boss" and "signs their paychecks", but doesn't set or administer the laws they have to uphold as part of their jobs.
Nixon tried to get the IRS to go after the political opposition (his enemies list) but the head of the IRS just ignored him.

Interestingly both Nixon and his Vice President violated tax laws. VP Agnew was even convicted and resigned and was replaced by Gerald Ford and then Ford replaced Nixon. Nixon pardoned Agnew and then after Nixon resigned Ford pardoned Nixon preemptively.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 06:05 PM   #49
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Challenging the law is not the same as disobeying the law.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 06:07 PM   #50
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

In theory, he is their boss, but their allegiance is to the law.
A concept that nettles the president almost every day.

Last edited by Ladewig; 14th April 2019 at 06:09 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 06:41 PM   #51
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, it pretty much is. Congress has the authority to issue subpoenas like any judge. And failure to comply puts you in contempt.
Old 14th April 2019, 07:16 PM   #52
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Nixon tried to get the IRS to go after the political opposition (his enemies list)
Nixon was acting like he thought he was "Boss", which is exactly what Trump tries to do. He thinks the government is just like a business, and as President, he is Boss; everyone has to do exactly what he says or they're fired. Its the only way he knows how to conduct business, because the majority of his businesses are conducted as criminal enterprises.

Unfortunately, he is getting away with it. It needs for Congress to stop talking and start acting, like sending the FBI around to arrest both Steve Mnuchin and John Koskinen and charge them under USC§6103.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 07:21 PM   #53
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

You challenge the Law in court, not by disobeying it. It would be like the Police coming to arrest me for something, and me telling them that I will be challenging the law under which I am to be charged. If I try that on by resisting arrest, it will not end well for me.

First I must comply with the Law, then I can challenge it.

If Trump wants to challenge the right of Congress to get his Tax returns, he must first comply with the Law, then take Congress to court.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 07:30 PM   #54
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Well.. there is civil disobedience. However, that is challenging the law by knowing one will get arrested and done by those who aren't in power. What the Trump regime is doing is trying to assume powers that aren't his to fulfill his authoritarian agenda.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 07:34 PM   #55
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You challenge the Law in court, not by disobeying it. It would be like the Police coming to arrest me for something, and me telling them that I will be challenging the law under which I am to be charged. If I try that on by resisting arrest, it will not end well for me.

If Trump wants to challenge the right of Congress to get his Tax returns, he must first comply with the Law, then take Congress to court.
Or, given the telegraphing in public, file a suit to challenge it and petition for an injunction until a ruling is made. I wonder if there's a position in the West Wing staff for someone who handles the President interacting with the courts. That could be a thing. Nah, just call up a mid-level technocrat and shout at them on the phone (we know he's not good at confrontation in person).
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 07:35 PM   #56
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Not really. You don't have to have an arrest or penalty on file to contest a law. That method has worked well in overturning many laws (civil disobedience during the segue from Jim Crow to Civil Rights eras comes to mind - Rosa Parks being the prime example) but many of Trump's more draconian attempts this term have been taken directly to the courts, no arrests necessary.

In the case of his tax returns, I'm pretty sure he can get a friendly judge to issue a stay against the IRS or Congress and that could proceed to the appellate divisions and supremes.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 07:49 PM   #57
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

I love this quote from Magistrate Claggett in Deadwood that fits the situation rather well.

"I didn't generate the warrant.

My disappearance won't quash it.

You can't murder an order
or the telegraph that transmitted it
or those that are content
to put food on the table
simply by being its instruments.

It can't be done."

But then he did get his throat cut and nobody was the wiser for years...

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 14th April 2019 at 07:51 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 09:16 PM   #58
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Didn't Washington state just make it impossible to run for POTUS/win that state for candidates who had not released their tax returns?
One state did, but it is doubtful it would hold up if challenged in court.
Old 14th April 2019, 10:02 PM   #59
Bob001
Philosopher

The nominee for the Fed doesn't believe in democracy and calls the federal income tax "evil."
Quote:
"Capitalism is a lot more important than democracy," Moore said. "I'm not even a big believer in democracy."
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/polit...ile/index.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th April 2019, 10:05 PM   #60
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The nominee for the Fed doesn't believe in democracy and calls the federal income tax "evil."

At least he's honest about that, unlike other Republicans who claim to care about democracy but really don't.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:31 AM   #61
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Quote:
This thread has been closed for length.
I wonder of Trump knows these threads are the only things ever related to him that have been too long?
Old 15th April 2019, 01:51 AM   #62
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

@SteveHiltonx “This is President Trump trying to deliver on his promises while the bureaucratic machine fights his agenda. He needs populist allies. These changes are not chaos, but rather progress. All this is President Trump at his absolute best.”

Thank you Steve!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:56 AM   #63
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Chinese Telecom Giant Huawei hires former Obama Cyber Security Official as a lobbyist. This is not good, or acceptable! @FoxNews @SteveHiltonx
Old 15th April 2019, 02:32 AM   #64
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Huh.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 04:21 AM   #65
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Didn't Washington state just make it impossible to run for POTUS/win that state for candidates who had not released their tax returns?
Umm.. isn't that unconstitutional ? In effect, Washington State is interfering with the right of a voter to vote for their preferred candidate ? Or rather.. they are putting restrictions on the right of an American Citizen to stand for election ?

Can they DO that ?
Roofgardener is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 04:30 AM   #66
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I wonder of Trump knows these threads are the only things ever related to him that have been too long?
His tie is too long. Looks like his suit-pants are also usually too long.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 04:32 AM   #67
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
Umm.. isn't that unconstitutional ? In effect, Washington State is interfering with the right of a voter to vote for their preferred candidate ? Or rather.. they are putting restrictions on the right of an American Citizen to stand for election ?

Can they DO that ?
I think they can, as individual States have their own rules. Voters can still vote for their preferred candidate. In fact, making the election based on popular vote gives more power to the voters and less to real-estate.

Last edited by thaiboxerken; 15th April 2019 at 04:33 AM.
Old 15th April 2019, 04:32 AM   #68
wareyin
Philosopher

Can they DO that ?
They probably can, IMO. You can still vote for whomever you like, they just won't have your name on the ballot if you don't release your taxes. You can still write in a vote for anyone that is not listed on the ballot.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 04:44 AM   #69
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker

Soooo... let me see if I understand this properly ?

The Chairman of the Ways and Means committee - a Democrat and hence political opponent of President Trump - wants to see the Presidents tax returns.

Why ?
This has never happened before. Doesn't this look a bit like political harassment ? We already know that there is nothing illegal in the Presidents tax returns, or the IRS would have intervened. So what is the PURPOSE for the WaM Committee to inspect his tax returns ?
Roofgardener is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 04:45 AM   #70
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I think they can, as individual States have their own rules. Voters can still vote for their preferred candidate. In fact, making the election based on popular vote gives more power to the voters and less to real-estate.
Well.. yes.. but surely voting for a federal role (President, in this case) is subject to Federal law, not State law ?
Old 15th April 2019, 04:47 AM   #71
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker

Well.. yes.. but surely voting for a federal role (President, in this case) is subject to Federal law, not State law ?
I can't help but think that the Washington senate KNOW this, and know that their "law" will be struck down if challenged. They are just indulging in "virtue signalling".
Old 15th April 2019, 04:47 AM   #72
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Each State handles how it votes for Federal elections individually. And please don't call me Shirley.
Old 15th April 2019, 04:50 AM   #73
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Soooo... let me see if I understand this properly ?

The Chairman of the Ways and Means committee - a Democrat and hence political opponent of President Trump - wants to see the Presidents tax returns.

Why ?
This has never happened before. Doesn't this look a bit like political harassment ? We already know that there is nothing illegal in the Presidents tax returns, or the IRS would have intervened. So what is the PURPOSE for the WaM Committee to inspect his tax returns ?
No president has refused to release their tax returns. That is why this has never happened before. As far as "political harassment" goes, the Republicans have done far worse and only very flimsy grounds. With Trump, at least there is a basis for suspicion.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-investigated/
Old 15th April 2019, 05:08 AM   #74
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

What do I know about branding, maybe nothing (but I did become President!), but if I were Boeing, I would FIX the Boeing 737 MAX, add some additional great features, & REBRAND the plane with a new name.
No product has suffered like this one. But again, what the hell do I know?
Old 15th April 2019, 05:12 AM   #75
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

What do I know about branding, maybe nothing (but I did become President!), but if I were Boeing, I would FIX the Boeing 737 MAX, add some additional great features, & REBRAND the plane with a new name.
No product has suffered like this one. But again, what the hell do I know?
That is...kinda okay advice?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 05:21 AM   #76
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

But that's exactly wrong. In fact, the complete lack of Federal standards for conducting elections is a big part of why US elections have been such **** shows these last 20 years or so (ever since the Hanging Chads debacle).
Old 15th April 2019, 05:25 AM   #77
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
But that's exactly wrong. In fact, the complete lack of Federal standards for conducting elections is a big part of why US elections have been such **** shows these last 20 years or so (ever since the Hanging Chads debacle).
Why do you think the federal standards would be better than a bad state's? Why don't you think it wont make the other 49 worse?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 05:29 AM   #78
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

For a very long time now it has been recognized how important it is to know about the tax history of politicians - which is why they usually publish their tax returns.
The only unusual thing that happened is that Trump lied about releasing his.
This alone is reason to be suspicious.
And what Trump's head of the Treasury said raises questions about how thorough the audit of his taxes is, given the obvious pressure the staff is being subjected to.
An investigation is something the Republicans should have done.
Old 15th April 2019, 05:34 AM   #79
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
For a very long time now it has been recognized how important it is to know about the tax history of politicians - which is why they usually publish their tax returns.
The only unusual thing that happened is that Trump lied about releasing his.
This alone is reason to be suspicious.
And what Trump's head of the Treasury said raises questions about how thorough the audit of his taxes is, given the obvious pressure the staff is being subjected to.
An investigation is something the Republicans should have done.
A) what is the evidence that it has been seen as important to know the tax history is important? Just because they released them, doesnt mean it is important.

B) what is the obvious pressure the staff is under?

C) If it is about an audit, it sure doesn't look like it. Who is the committee going to use to conduct an audit? Since the committee to lacks the expertise to audit, what safeguards are they putting in place to ensure neither them or their staff view the returns?
Old 15th April 2019, 05:36 AM   #80
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
For a very long time now it has been recognized how important it is to know about the tax history of politicians - .......
Really ? Recognized by whom ? And since when ? 2016 ?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics