ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 15th April 2019, 08:52 AM   #121
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Umm.... what exactly makes you think that the committee lacks the expertise to audit?

Multiple members of congress were former accountants before they entered politics. Tom Suozzi (democrat) sits on the Ways and Means committee, and he is both a CPA and used to work as an auditor. Tom Rice (republican) also sits on the committee, and he too is a CPA.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newsp...nts/ar-BBVWcVw
Is that the plan?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:53 AM   #122
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Yeah, I just worry Pence will pardon him.
I'm not worried about that. As much as I'd love to see Trump go to prison,, I'd be thrilled just to see him disappear.
Old 15th April 2019, 08:57 AM   #123
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

This is what FCW, a website specializing in news about federal technology, reported in an article last August.
Quote:
The IRS often gets hammered by federal watchdogs for getting IT wrong. Now, the Government Accountability Office wants the agency to expand use of a system that has been successful in identifying fraudulent tax activity. An Aug. 22 audit found that the IRS has made strides over the last three years improving its Return Review Program, an automated system that leverages advanced analytics and multiple data streams to spot anomalies, inconsistencies and other markers indicating potentially fraudulent tax activity. Agency officials have claimed billions in savings under the program. FCW link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 09:19 AM   #124
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Quote:
The IRS can verify some of the information in a tax return, but much of what they do is simple "do these numbers add up". They do not have the resources to investigate every tax payer to see that (for example) there is undeclared income, or that all income declared is from legitimate sources.
Every return is reviewed by the Automated Under Reporting system.
From what I can see, the Automated Underreporting system only compares income reported by the taxpayer with information provided by banks, employers, etc. (That's the sort of thing I'd characterize as "do these numbers add up".) I don't think its set up to catch situations like bribes, or cases where funds were laundered through companies.

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues...rreporter.html

Let me put this into context... Manafort was charged with multiple counts of tax fraud, yet the 'automated underreporting system' did not manage to catch his activities. Its not unreasonable to think that Trump might be guilty of similar fraud that hasn't been caught yet.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:18 AM   #125
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously we don't know for sure that Trump's tax returns would present a legal problem. (I'd be surprised if not, due to how corrupt he is.) But I brim with confidence they'd be politically damning, just based on how far he's willing to go to prevent release. The strategy appears to be delay in the courts past the election.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:23 AM   #126
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Obviously we don't know for sure that Trump's tax returns would present a legal problem. (I'd be surprised if not, due to how corrupt he is.) But I brim with confidence they'd be politically damning, just based on how far he's willing to go to prevent release. The strategy appears to be delay in the courts past the election.
I'm actually a little shocked Trump doesn't take advantage of this. I know he can't possibly want to be POTUS. He's the laziest (his days start at, what? 9 or 10?), most incompetent, blithering idiot that's ever held the title. I truly believe he didn't expect to win. To me, he should just let the info come out, even if it's sketchy but not criminal, it would give him enough bad press to just limp into the background.

Then again, maybe he won't do that because he just refuses to lose at this. I don't know.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:59 AM   #127
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump posts a stupid tweet about the Notre Dame fire, because of course he does.
Quote:
So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!
Old 15th April 2019, 11:00 AM   #128
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm actually a little shocked Trump doesn't take advantage of this. I know he can't possibly want to be POTUS. He's the laziest (his days start at, what? 9 or 10?), most incompetent, blithering idiot that's ever held the title. I truly believe he didn't expect to win. To me, he should just let the info come out, even if it's sketchy but not criminal, it would give him enough bad press to just limp into the background.

Then again, maybe he won't do that because he just refuses to lose at this. I don't know.
I think the bureaucracy filled the vacuum he leaves. He is quite able to not do the job and not have decisions he doesn't want forced on him.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:20 AM   #129
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
Soooo... let me see if I understand this properly ?

The Chairman of the Ways and Means committee - a Democrat and hence political opponent of President Trump - wants to see the Presidents tax returns.

Why ?
This has never happened before. Doesn't this look a bit like political harassment ? We already know that there is nothing illegal in the Presidents tax returns, or the IRS would have intervened. So what is the PURPOSE for the WaM Committee to inspect his tax returns ?
The proferred reason is to see that the IRS is doing its job when auditing the president. Hence, your comment that the IRS would've found something and reacted appropriately is in direct conflict for the stated reason for the request.

But that's just the public justification. I think we all know they're looking for illegal activity by the president. The IRS doesn't intervene in illegal activity it finds unless it is tax fraud or something similar. Hence, that the IRS hasn't intervened is not reason to dismiss the possibility that Trump has committed fraud or similar crimes.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:24 AM   #130
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Really ? Recognized by whom ? And since when ? 2016 ?
Google out in your area? You could try Yahoo! They're still around.

Ford was the last nominee not to release his returns. Until Trump. That's forty years.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:29 AM   #131
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

What grounds would they have for an injunction? "I don't want to do this" isn't really a compelling argument.
If they have legitimate reason to believe the courts will find the Congressional request overreach violating Trump's privacy rights, then an injunction is the only sensible path.

I have no idea whether that argument would work in court. It's not obviously stupid to me.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:33 AM   #132
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Before Nancy, who has lost all control of Congress and is getting nothing done, decides to defend her leader, Rep. Omar, she should look at the anti-Semitic, anti-Israel and ungrateful U.S. HATE statements Omar has made. She is out of control, except for her control of Nancy!

The Radical Left Democrats will never be satisfied with anything we give them. They will always Resist and Obstruct!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:36 AM   #133
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Spoke to @TigerWoods to congratulate him on the great victory he had in yesterday’s @TheMasters, & to inform him that because of his incredible Success & Comeback in Sports (Golf) and, more importantly, LIFE, I will be presenting him with the PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:36 AM   #134
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Soooo... let me see if I understand this properly ?

The Chairman of the Ways and Means committee - a Democrat and hence political opponent of President Trump - wants to see the Presidents tax returns.

Why ?
This has never happened before. Doesn't this look a bit like political harassment ? We already know that there is nothing illegal in the Presidents tax returns, or the IRS would have intervened. So what is the PURPOSE for the WaM Committee to inspect his tax returns ?
Clearly, as many others have pointed out, you don't understand this properly.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:46 AM   #135
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump posts a stupid tweet about the Notre Dame fire, because of course he does.

So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!
Maybe they should have raked the land around the Cathedral. I hear that stops fires.

You know, I have no real idea about how to fight major fires, but it seams like dropping hundreds of pounds of water in a city area (where there are plenty of windows, some of which are probably historical stained glass) is probably going to cause a lot of collateral damage.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:47 AM   #136
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Spoke to @TigerWoods to congratulate him on the great victory he had in yesterday’s @TheMasters, & to inform him that because of his incredible Success & Comeback in Sports (Golf) and, more importantly, LIFE, I will be presenting him with the PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM!
Oh for ****'s sake.

Look, I am as much of a fan of Tiger Woods the golfer as anyone - to me, golf is not even worth paying attention to if Tiger isn't in the mix, but other than winning the Masters, is there any evidence that he has actually redeemed his life? Oh, he almost ruined his career on hookers and blow, and now he is clean, so give him a friggin Presidential Medal of Freedom?
Old 15th April 2019, 11:48 AM   #137
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Maybe they should have raked the land around the Cathedral. I hear that stops fires.

You know, I have no real idea about how to fight major fires, but it seams like dropping hundreds of pounds of water in a city area (where there are plenty of windows, some of which are probably historical stained glass) is probably going to cause a lot of collateral damage.
Even worse, the sudden cooling of hot stone would explode it like shrapnel, causing more damage and potential injury.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:49 AM   #138
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I'm actually a little shocked Trump doesn't take advantage of this. [xhilite=paleturquoise]I know he can't possibly want to be POTUS.[\xhilite] He's the laziest (his days start at, what? 9 or 10?), most incompetent, blithering idiot that's ever held the title. I truly believe he didn't expect to win. To me, he should just let the info come out, even if it's sketchy but not criminal, it would give him enough bad press to just limp into the background.

Right now, when he enters a room, everyone stands and often “Hail to the Chief” is played. He flies in the most expensive 747 ever built. People in uniform salute him. He is talked about in every newspaper every single day. He thinks he can easily broker a deal so magnificent and important that it will be named for him (e.g. The Trump De-nuclearization Accord). He now considers himself the boss of America. He can play golf with any Republican congressman or governor and know that no matter how flagrant his cheating is, he will not be challenged. One of his greatest motivating factors is being able to undo everything President Obama did because Obama told jokes at his expense. He believes that people he places on to SCOTUS will be loyal to him and never rule against him in any case; therefore he can beat any charge and win any civil lawsuit.

Why would an attention whore and power addict like him ever want to step away?
Old 15th April 2019, 11:53 AM   #139
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He really thinks he is an expert at everything.

He really thinks he knows more than anyone else in the room - even when he is in cabinet meetings.
Old 15th April 2019, 12:04 PM   #140
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm actually a little shocked Trump doesn't take advantage of this. I know he can't possibly want to be POTUS. He's the laziest (his days start at, what? 9 or 10?), most incompetent, blithering idiot that's ever held the title.
But he's the healthiest one!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 12:30 PM   #141
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That would not fall under voting regulations, but under civil rights protections. Others, under state regulations. Do you know how to use a search engine? These things are very easy to find out.
Meh.. I have people to do that sort of legwork for me. (such as Thaiboxerken, for example :P )
Roofgardener is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 12:32 PM   #142
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The proferred reason is to see that the IRS is doing its job when auditing the president. Hence, your comment that the IRS would've found something and reacted appropriately is in direct conflict for the stated reason for the request.

But that's just the public justification. I think we all know they're looking for illegal activity by the president. The IRS doesn't intervene in illegal activity it finds unless it is tax fraud or something similar. Hence, that the IRS hasn't intervened is not reason to dismiss the possibility that Trump has committed fraud or similar crimes.
I see. That makes sense. Because the Democrats START with the assumption that President Trump is guilty of SOMETHING. He MUST be. After all, if he wasn't guilty of something, they wouldn't be able to impeach him.

Truly, Trump Derangement Syndrome has infected them all !

Last edited by Roofgardener; 15th April 2019 at 12:35 PM.
Roofgardener is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 12:36 PM   #143
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

We know he's guilty, it's a matter of record.
How much compo does he have to pay for his University scam?
Old 15th April 2019, 12:50 PM   #144
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I see. That makes sense. Because the Democrats START with the assumption that President Trump is guilty of SOMETHING. He MUST be. After all, if he wasn't guilty of something, they wouldn't be able to impeach him.
That's not the reason. There is plenty of evidence that Trump is guilty of crimes. Let me give you some examples. The evidence is strong that the Trump family deliberately evaded taxes in how they passed money from Fred Trump to his heirs. There is evidence that he made illegal campaign contributions. There is also substantial evidence that Trump is violating the Emoluments Clause of the constitution. There is evidence that Trump created a phoney charity. I'm sure there is more evidence that would lead an honest person to suspicious of other crimes that I have not listed.

Congress has a responsibility of oversight and they are simply asking for documents that EVERY President for the last FOUR DECADES has provided VOLUNTARILY! Documents that Trump said multiple times he would provide and now is doing everything he possibly can to avoid doing so.
Old 15th April 2019, 01:19 PM   #145
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Oh for ****'s sake.

Look, I am as much of a fan of Tiger Woods the golfer as anyone - to me, golf is not even worth paying attention to if Tiger isn't in the mix, but other than winning the Masters, is there any evidence that he has actually redeemed his life? Oh, he almost ruined his career on hookers and blow, and now he is clean, so give him a friggin Presidential Medal of Freedom?
He hasn't done anything that needs redemption.
Old 15th April 2019, 01:24 PM   #146
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Before Nancy, who has lost all control of Congress and is getting nothing done, decides to defend her leader, Rep. Omar, she should look at the anti-Semitic, anti-Israel and ungrateful U.S. HATE statements Omar has made. She is out of control, except for her control of Nancy!

The Radical Left Democrats will never be satisfied with anything we give them. They will always Resist and Obstruct!
Obstruct! That's a new one from the master of "I know you are but what am I?"
Old 15th April 2019, 01:25 PM   #147
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
He hasn't done anything that needs redemption.
You obviously know little about Tiger's history.
Old 15th April 2019, 01:33 PM   #148
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You obviously know little about Tiger's history.
Right? Tell that to his wife.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:35 PM   #149
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Defying Trump, Calif. National Guard Won't Discharge Trans Troops

Quote:
One of the highest-ranking officers in the California National Guard told lawmakers on Tuesday that the state will not discharge transgender soldiers from its ranks — even as President Trump’s administration makes strides in doing so.

“As long as you fight, we don’t care what gender you identify as,” said Maj. Gen. Matthew Beevers, who serves as assistant adjutant general for the California National Guard. "Nobody's going to kick you out.” he said.
https://www.advocate.com/politics/20...e-trans-troops
Old 15th April 2019, 01:35 PM   #150
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Right? Tell that to his wife.
A lot of marriages don't work out.
Old 15th April 2019, 01:42 PM   #151
plague311
Great minds think...

I'm not going to argue morality with you. I don't give a **** what you think about marriages. This is off topic, and pointless. I shouldn't have even bothered.

Old 15th April 2019, 01:44 PM   #152
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says his taxes are being audited because he is a Christian.

Quote:
Well, maybe because of the fact that I'm a strong Christian, and I feel strongly about it, maybe there's a bias, you've had many religious groups complaining about it, they've been complaining about that for a long time."
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/p...cruz/80976252/
Old 15th April 2019, 01:53 PM   #153
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post

As far as I know, they haven't asked for the audit records. They aren't really looking for illegal activity, they are in a battle of will. Trump said he wouldn't do something and they are trying to make him.

Neal has stated that his goal is to make them public.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:58 PM   #154
carrps
Thinker

Trump says his taxes are being audited because he is a Christian.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/p...cruz/80976252/
O.k. I don't post often, but just **** this ********!

Trump isn't any kind of Christian that I'd recognize.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 02:06 PM   #155
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I have no problem with Tiger's rampant infidelity and his collapsed marriage. But clearly many of his fans and sponsors did. And from a golf perspective Tiger hasn't been competitive for a decade. Which to many sports fan was his biggest sin.
Old 15th April 2019, 02:08 PM   #156
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Even worse, the sudden cooling of hot stone would explode it like shrapnel, causing more damage and potential injury.
Nasty business, that. I confess I hadn't brought my campfire lore to bear, being a bit in awe of events, but you are right. Though first, water must get it, no? It's river stones that'll blow on you. Didn't know it might be the case for old masonry. Is the dousing with water a mixed blessing?

Anyway you look at it, what a heartbreak.
Old 15th April 2019, 02:12 PM   #157
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Defying Trump, Calif. National Guard Won't Discharge Trans Troops
Quote:
Quote:
One of the highest-ranking officers in the California National Guard told lawmakers on Tuesday that the state will not discharge transgender soldiers from its ranks — even as President Trump’s administration makes strides in doing so.

“As long as you fight, we don’t care what gender you identify as,” said Maj. Gen. Matthew Beevers, who serves as assistant adjutant general for the California National Guard. "Nobody's going to kick you out.” he said.
https://www.advocate.com/politics/20...e-trans-troops
You are undoubtedly right. I could not, however, help from laughing out loud. If not one else sees it, fine, not gonna push an adolescent moment on anyone.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 15th April 2019 at 02:13 PM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 02:16 PM   #158
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure you're wrong. See Bush v Gorel. This allowed the State of Florida to halt a recount and certify George W Bush President in 2001. Don't you just hate precedent?
Given it was a corrupt SCOTUS vote they included some clause that it won't count as precedent. Talk about knowing you are cheating.
Old 15th April 2019, 02:18 PM   #159
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
You are undoubtedly right. I could not, however, help from laughing out loud. If not one else sees it, fine, not gonna push an adolescent moment on anyone.
Most people learn to live with the name they are born with.
Old 15th April 2019, 02:20 PM   #160
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yep.

News media mentioned it would knock down every structure still standing, not to mention ruin any artwork that didn't burn.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics