ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 15th April 2019, 08:52 AM   #121
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 16,793
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Umm.... what exactly makes you think that the committee lacks the expertise to audit?

Multiple members of congress were former accountants before they entered politics. Tom Suozzi (democrat) sits on the Ways and Means committee, and he is both a CPA and used to work as an auditor. Tom Rice (republican) also sits on the committee, and he too is a CPA.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newsp...nts/ar-BBVWcVw
Is that the plan?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:53 AM   #122
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,422
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Yeah, I just worry Pence will pardon him.
I'm not worried about that. As much as I'd love to see Trump go to prison,, I'd be thrilled just to see him disappear.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:57 AM   #123
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 10,013
This is what FCW, a website specializing in news about federal technology, reported in an article last August.
Quote:
The IRS often gets hammered by federal watchdogs for getting IT wrong. Now, the Government Accountability Office wants the agency to expand use of a system that has been successful in identifying fraudulent tax activity. An Aug. 22 audit found that the IRS has made strides over the last three years improving its Return Review Program, an automated system that leverages advanced analytics and multiple data streams to spot anomalies, inconsistencies and other markers indicating potentially fraudulent tax activity. Agency officials have claimed billions in savings under the program. FCW link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 09:19 AM   #124
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,063
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Quote:
The IRS can verify some of the information in a tax return, but much of what they do is simple "do these numbers add up". They do not have the resources to investigate every tax payer to see that (for example) there is undeclared income, or that all income declared is from legitimate sources.
Every return is reviewed by the Automated Under Reporting system.
From what I can see, the Automated Underreporting system only compares income reported by the taxpayer with information provided by banks, employers, etc. (That's the sort of thing I'd characterize as "do these numbers add up".) I don't think its set up to catch situations like bribes, or cases where funds were laundered through companies.

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues...rreporter.html

Let me put this into context... Manafort was charged with multiple counts of tax fraud, yet the 'automated underreporting system' did not manage to catch his activities. Its not unreasonable to think that Trump might be guilty of similar fraud that hasn't been caught yet.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:18 AM   #125
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 12,803
Obviously we don't know for sure that Trump's tax returns would present a legal problem. (I'd be surprised if not, due to how corrupt he is.) But I brim with confidence they'd be politically damning, just based on how far he's willing to go to prevent release. The strategy appears to be delay in the courts past the election.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:23 AM   #126
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Obviously we don't know for sure that Trump's tax returns would present a legal problem. (I'd be surprised if not, due to how corrupt he is.) But I brim with confidence they'd be politically damning, just based on how far he's willing to go to prevent release. The strategy appears to be delay in the courts past the election.
I'm actually a little shocked Trump doesn't take advantage of this. I know he can't possibly want to be POTUS. He's the laziest (his days start at, what? 9 or 10?), most incompetent, blithering idiot that's ever held the title. I truly believe he didn't expect to win. To me, he should just let the info come out, even if it's sketchy but not criminal, it would give him enough bad press to just limp into the background.

Then again, maybe he won't do that because he just refuses to lose at this. I don't know.
__________________
"All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 10:59 AM   #127
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 21,407
Trump posts a stupid tweet about the Notre Dame fire, because of course he does.
Quote:
So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:00 AM   #128
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 16,793
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm actually a little shocked Trump doesn't take advantage of this. I know he can't possibly want to be POTUS. He's the laziest (his days start at, what? 9 or 10?), most incompetent, blithering idiot that's ever held the title. I truly believe he didn't expect to win. To me, he should just let the info come out, even if it's sketchy but not criminal, it would give him enough bad press to just limp into the background.

Then again, maybe he won't do that because he just refuses to lose at this. I don't know.
I think the bureaucracy filled the vacuum he leaves. He is quite able to not do the job and not have decisions he doesn't want forced on him.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:20 AM   #129
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,453
Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
Soooo... let me see if I understand this properly ?

The Chairman of the Ways and Means committee - a Democrat and hence political opponent of President Trump - wants to see the Presidents tax returns.

Why ?
This has never happened before. Doesn't this look a bit like political harassment ? We already know that there is nothing illegal in the Presidents tax returns, or the IRS would have intervened. So what is the PURPOSE for the WaM Committee to inspect his tax returns ?
The proferred reason is to see that the IRS is doing its job when auditing the president. Hence, your comment that the IRS would've found something and reacted appropriately is in direct conflict for the stated reason for the request.

But that's just the public justification. I think we all know they're looking for illegal activity by the president. The IRS doesn't intervene in illegal activity it finds unless it is tax fraud or something similar. Hence, that the IRS hasn't intervened is not reason to dismiss the possibility that Trump has committed fraud or similar crimes.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:24 AM   #130
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,453
Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
Really ? Recognized by whom ? And since when ? 2016 ?
Google out in your area? You could try Yahoo! They're still around.

Ford was the last nominee not to release his returns. Until Trump. That's forty years.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:29 AM   #131
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,453
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
What grounds would they have for an injunction? "I don't want to do this" isn't really a compelling argument.
If they have legitimate reason to believe the courts will find the Congressional request overreach violating Trump's privacy rights, then an injunction is the only sensible path.

I have no idea whether that argument would work in court. It's not obviously stupid to me.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:33 AM   #132
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 20,625
Trump Tweeted

Before Nancy, who has lost all control of Congress and is getting nothing done, decides to defend her leader, Rep. Omar, she should look at the anti-Semitic, anti-Israel and ungrateful U.S. HATE statements Omar has made. She is out of control, except for her control of Nancy!

The Radical Left Democrats will never be satisfied with anything we give them. They will always Resist and Obstruct!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:36 AM   #133
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 20,625
Trump Tweets

Spoke to @TigerWoods to congratulate him on the great victory he had in yesterday’s @TheMasters, & to inform him that because of his incredible Success & Comeback in Sports (Golf) and, more importantly, LIFE, I will be presenting him with the PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:36 AM   #134
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,188
Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
Soooo... let me see if I understand this properly ?

The Chairman of the Ways and Means committee - a Democrat and hence political opponent of President Trump - wants to see the Presidents tax returns.

Why ?
This has never happened before. Doesn't this look a bit like political harassment ? We already know that there is nothing illegal in the Presidents tax returns, or the IRS would have intervened. So what is the PURPOSE for the WaM Committee to inspect his tax returns ?
Clearly, as many others have pointed out, you don't understand this properly.
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:46 AM   #135
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,063
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump posts a stupid tweet about the Notre Dame fire, because of course he does.

So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!
Maybe they should have raked the land around the Cathedral. I hear that stops fires.

You know, I have no real idea about how to fight major fires, but it seams like dropping hundreds of pounds of water in a city area (where there are plenty of windows, some of which are probably historical stained glass) is probably going to cause a lot of collateral damage.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:47 AM   #136
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 17,987
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Spoke to @TigerWoods to congratulate him on the great victory he had in yesterday’s @TheMasters, & to inform him that because of his incredible Success & Comeback in Sports (Golf) and, more importantly, LIFE, I will be presenting him with the PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM!
Oh for ****'s sake.

Look, I am as much of a fan of Tiger Woods the golfer as anyone - to me, golf is not even worth paying attention to if Tiger isn't in the mix, but other than winning the Masters, is there any evidence that he has actually redeemed his life? Oh, he almost ruined his career on hookers and blow, and now he is clean, so give him a friggin Presidential Medal of Freedom?
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:48 AM   #137
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8,170
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Maybe they should have raked the land around the Cathedral. I hear that stops fires.

You know, I have no real idea about how to fight major fires, but it seams like dropping hundreds of pounds of water in a city area (where there are plenty of windows, some of which are probably historical stained glass) is probably going to cause a lot of collateral damage.
Even worse, the sudden cooling of hot stone would explode it like shrapnel, causing more damage and potential injury.
__________________
Opinion is divided on the subject. All the others say it is; I say it isn’t.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:49 AM   #138
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 26,447
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm actually a little shocked Trump doesn't take advantage of this. [xhilite=paleturquoise]I know he can't possibly want to be POTUS.[\xhilite] He's the laziest (his days start at, what? 9 or 10?), most incompetent, blithering idiot that's ever held the title. I truly believe he didn't expect to win. To me, he should just let the info come out, even if it's sketchy but not criminal, it would give him enough bad press to just limp into the background.

Then again, maybe he won't do that because he just refuses to lose at this. I don't know.
Right now, when he enters a room, everyone stands and often “Hail to the Chief” is played. He flies in the most expensive 747 ever built. People in uniform salute him. He is talked about in every newspaper every single day. He thinks he can easily broker a deal so magnificent and important that it will be named for him (e.g. The Trump De-nuclearization Accord). He now considers himself the boss of America. He can play golf with any Republican congressman or governor and know that no matter how flagrant his cheating is, he will not be challenged. One of his greatest motivating factors is being able to undo everything President Obama did because Obama told jokes at his expense. He believes that people he places on to SCOTUS will be loyal to him and never rule against him in any case; therefore he can beat any charge and win any civil lawsuit.

Why would an attention whore and power addict like him ever want to step away?
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 11:53 AM   #139
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 26,447
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump posts a stupid tweet about the Notre Dame fire, because of course he does.
He really thinks he is an expert at everything.

He really thinks he knows more than anyone else in the room - even when he is in cabinet meetings.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 12:04 PM   #140
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,146
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm actually a little shocked Trump doesn't take advantage of this. I know he can't possibly want to be POTUS. He's the laziest (his days start at, what? 9 or 10?), most incompetent, blithering idiot that's ever held the title.
But he's the healthiest one!
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 12:30 PM   #141
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 411
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That would not fall under voting regulations, but under civil rights protections. Others, under state regulations. Do you know how to use a search engine? These things are very easy to find out.
Meh.. I have people to do that sort of legwork for me. (such as Thaiboxerken, for example :P )
Roofgardener is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 12:32 PM   #142
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 411
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The proferred reason is to see that the IRS is doing its job when auditing the president. Hence, your comment that the IRS would've found something and reacted appropriately is in direct conflict for the stated reason for the request.

But that's just the public justification. I think we all know they're looking for illegal activity by the president. The IRS doesn't intervene in illegal activity it finds unless it is tax fraud or something similar. Hence, that the IRS hasn't intervened is not reason to dismiss the possibility that Trump has committed fraud or similar crimes.
I see. That makes sense. Because the Democrats START with the assumption that President Trump is guilty of SOMETHING. He MUST be. After all, if he wasn't guilty of something, they wouldn't be able to impeach him.

Truly, Trump Derangement Syndrome has infected them all !

Last edited by Roofgardener; 15th April 2019 at 12:35 PM.
Roofgardener is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 12:36 PM   #143
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 20,625
We know he's guilty, it's a matter of record.
How much compo does he have to pay for his University scam?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 12:50 PM   #144
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,422
Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
I see. That makes sense. Because the Democrats START with the assumption that President Trump is guilty of SOMETHING. He MUST be. After all, if he wasn't guilty of something, they wouldn't be able to impeach him.
That's not the reason. There is plenty of evidence that Trump is guilty of crimes. Let me give you some examples. The evidence is strong that the Trump family deliberately evaded taxes in how they passed money from Fred Trump to his heirs. There is evidence that he made illegal campaign contributions. There is also substantial evidence that Trump is violating the Emoluments Clause of the constitution. There is evidence that Trump created a phoney charity. I'm sure there is more evidence that would lead an honest person to suspicious of other crimes that I have not listed.

Congress has a responsibility of oversight and they are simply asking for documents that EVERY President for the last FOUR DECADES has provided VOLUNTARILY! Documents that Trump said multiple times he would provide and now is doing everything he possibly can to avoid doing so.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:19 PM   #145
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 16,793
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Oh for ****'s sake.

Look, I am as much of a fan of Tiger Woods the golfer as anyone - to me, golf is not even worth paying attention to if Tiger isn't in the mix, but other than winning the Masters, is there any evidence that he has actually redeemed his life? Oh, he almost ruined his career on hookers and blow, and now he is clean, so give him a friggin Presidential Medal of Freedom?
He hasn't done anything that needs redemption.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:24 PM   #146
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,453
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted

Before Nancy, who has lost all control of Congress and is getting nothing done, decides to defend her leader, Rep. Omar, she should look at the anti-Semitic, anti-Israel and ungrateful U.S. HATE statements Omar has made. She is out of control, except for her control of Nancy!

The Radical Left Democrats will never be satisfied with anything we give them. They will always Resist and Obstruct!
Obstruct! That's a new one from the master of "I know you are but what am I?"
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:25 PM   #147
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,422
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
He hasn't done anything that needs redemption.
You obviously know little about Tiger's history.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:33 PM   #148
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You obviously know little about Tiger's history.
Right? Tell that to his wife.
__________________
"All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:35 PM   #149
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 20,625
Defying Trump, Calif. National Guard Won't Discharge Trans Troops

Quote:
One of the highest-ranking officers in the California National Guard told lawmakers on Tuesday that the state will not discharge transgender soldiers from its ranks — even as President Trump’s administration makes strides in doing so.

“As long as you fight, we don’t care what gender you identify as,” said Maj. Gen. Matthew Beevers, who serves as assistant adjutant general for the California National Guard. "Nobody's going to kick you out.” he said.
https://www.advocate.com/politics/20...e-trans-troops
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:35 PM   #150
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 16,793
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Right? Tell that to his wife.
A lot of marriages don't work out.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:42 PM   #151
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,041
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
A lot of marriages don't work out.
I'm not going to argue morality with you. I don't give a **** what you think about marriages. This is off topic, and pointless. I shouldn't have even bothered.
__________________
"All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:44 PM   #152
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 20,625
Trump says his taxes are being audited because he is a Christian.

Quote:
Well, maybe because of the fact that I'm a strong Christian, and I feel strongly about it, maybe there's a bias, you've had many religious groups complaining about it, they've been complaining about that for a long time."
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/p...cruz/80976252/
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:53 PM   #153
Leftus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,093
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The proferred reason is to see that the IRS is doing its job when auditing the president. Hence, your comment that the IRS would've found something and reacted appropriately is in direct conflict for the stated reason for the request.

But that's just the public justification. I think we all know they're looking for illegal activity by the president. The IRS doesn't intervene in illegal activity it finds unless it is tax fraud or something similar. Hence, that the IRS hasn't intervened is not reason to dismiss the possibility that Trump has committed fraud or similar crimes.
As far as I know, they haven't asked for the audit records. They aren't really looking for illegal activity, they are in a battle of will. Trump said he wouldn't do something and they are trying to make him.

Neal has stated that his goal is to make them public.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 01:58 PM   #154
carrps
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 164
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump says his taxes are being audited because he is a Christian.



https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/p...cruz/80976252/
O.k. I don't post often, but just **** this ********!

Trump isn't any kind of Christian that I'd recognize.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 02:06 PM   #155
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,422
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
A lot of marriages don't work out.
I have no problem with Tiger's rampant infidelity and his collapsed marriage. But clearly many of his fans and sponsors did. And from a golf perspective Tiger hasn't been competitive for a decade. Which to many sports fan was his biggest sin.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 02:08 PM   #156
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 10,187
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Even worse, the sudden cooling of hot stone would explode it like shrapnel, causing more damage and potential injury.
Nasty business, that. I confess I hadn't brought my campfire lore to bear, being a bit in awe of events, but you are right. Though first, water must get it, no? It's river stones that'll blow on you. Didn't know it might be the case for old masonry. Is the dousing with water a mixed blessing?

Anyway you look at it, what a heartbreak.
__________________
Driftwood on an empty shore of the sea of meaninglessness. Irrelevant, weightless, inconsequential moment of existential hubris on the fast track to oblivion.
His real name is Count Douchenozzle von Stenchfahrter und Lichtendicks. - shemp
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 02:12 PM   #157
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 10,187
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Defying Trump, Calif. National Guard Won't Discharge Trans Troops
Quote:
Quote:
One of the highest-ranking officers in the California National Guard told lawmakers on Tuesday that the state will not discharge transgender soldiers from its ranks — even as President Trump’s administration makes strides in doing so.

“As long as you fight, we don’t care what gender you identify as,” said Maj. Gen. Matthew Beevers, who serves as assistant adjutant general for the California National Guard. "Nobody's going to kick you out.” he said.
https://www.advocate.com/politics/20...e-trans-troops
You are undoubtedly right. I could not, however, help from laughing out loud. If not one else sees it, fine, not gonna push an adolescent moment on anyone.
__________________
Driftwood on an empty shore of the sea of meaninglessness. Irrelevant, weightless, inconsequential moment of existential hubris on the fast track to oblivion.
His real name is Count Douchenozzle von Stenchfahrter und Lichtendicks. - shemp

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 15th April 2019 at 02:13 PM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 02:16 PM   #158
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 73,845
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure you're wrong. See Bush v Gorel. This allowed the State of Florida to halt a recount and certify George W Bush President in 2001. Don't you just hate precedent?
Given it was a corrupt SCOTUS vote they included some clause that it won't count as precedent. Talk about knowing you are cheating.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 02:18 PM   #159
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,039
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
You are undoubtedly right. I could not, however, help from laughing out loud. If not one else sees it, fine, not gonna push an adolescent moment on anyone.
Most people learn to live with the name they are born with.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 02:20 PM   #160
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 73,845
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Maybe they should have raked the land around the Cathedral. I hear that stops fires.

You know, I have no real idea about how to fight major fires, but it seams like dropping hundreds of pounds of water in a city area (where there are plenty of windows, some of which are probably historical stained glass) is probably going to cause a lot of collateral damage.
Yep.

News media mentioned it would knock down every structure still standing, not to mention ruin any artwork that didn't burn.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:33 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.