ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd April 2019, 11:58 PM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Help with demon ID

My boy found this on the beach:

Cleaned up, it looks like this:

The closest I can get to who it is, is Pazuzu, the Babylonian demon from The Exorcist. I've found images of similar statues that have been made and sold as Pazuzu, and that would fit the facts of the story.

Found at a beach, but it obviously isn't flotsam, because it's brass.
It was in a position that looked like it had been thrown out of a car on the way past.
It wouldn't surprise me to find someone scared of having Pazuzu around and deciding to get rid of it.

It's now taking centre stage on our weird articles display, and if anyone can shed light on who it actually is, go ahead!
Old 24th April 2019, 01:22 AM   #2
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Could be Garuda.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 01:35 AM   #3
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I'd also guess Pazzuzu, there's a nice little market for statues of the Exorcist star. I'm guessing someone had it for a laugh and then got a religious girl/boy friend!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 02:11 AM   #4
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Now you've done it. Never, NEVER clean it up! You have squandered most of her power.
Jeez, don't you watch Antiques Roadshow?
Old 24th April 2019, 02:42 AM   #5
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Could be Garuda.
I did consider that.

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Now you've done it. Never, NEVER clean it up! You have squandered most of her power.
Matter of fact, I do watch it. I thought about not cleaning it, but I was more worried about the corrosion continuing if I didn't, plus any value isn't a concern. I don't believe it has any value anyway.
Old 24th April 2019, 03:03 AM   #6
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

What you believe hardly matters. Antiques might have value but demons have POWER. You could have had three wishes. If you are lucky there might be a small one left.

Don't fall for demon propaganda and misinformation! Aladdin didn't really polish the lamp, he didn't squander the power, inserting that little detail is just how they trick you.
Old 24th April 2019, 04:37 AM   #7
Senex
Philosopher

The movie could open with the actor playing you typing the OP of this thread with a voice over as the opening credit starts. The rest of the movie pretty much writes itself. Spoiler alert: It doesn't end well for you but you will have learned a valuable lesson before your demise about leaving discarded evil statuettes alone. On the bright side all the women in your life will be played by young actresses with great figures.

The demon ID'ed in the movie will be treated as a MacGuffin and will be of no help.

My bet is it is one of the ancient ones, like Chtulluh (but not Chtulluh himself).

Last edited by Senex; 24th April 2019 at 04:43 AM.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 04:53 AM   #8
Tony99
Muse

Could be Garuda.
Correct. Official symbol of the Thai monarchy.
Tony99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 05:29 AM   #9
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

I'd also say Garuda. Pazuzu has 4 wings, a snake dong and no beak. Also, the style looks more Asian than mesopotamian.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 05:36 AM   #10
Lothian
should be banned

Could be Garuda.
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I did consider that.
and these images of Garuda didn't convince you?

Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 05:57 AM   #11
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Who ya gonna call?
Old 24th April 2019, 06:12 AM   #12
Armitage72
Illuminator

A Google image search for "Garuda statue" comes up with several that look exactly like that, though mounted on a different base.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 06:13 AM   #13
ahhell
Master Poster

My first thought was a harpy but the images of garuda are pretty spot on.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 06:16 AM   #14
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Who ya gonna call?
Nearest Thai takeaway place, probably.

I'd see if they want it when I go to pick up my Pad Thai.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 07:00 AM   #15
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Nearest Thai takeaway place, probably.

I'd see if they want it when I go to pick up my Pad Thai.
And if they run screaming from the building you should too!
Old 24th April 2019, 07:01 AM   #16
Steve
Philosopher

http://charman.co.nz/pazuzu2.jpg

http://charman.co.nz/pazuzu1.jpg

The closest I can get to who it is, is Pazuzu, the Babylonian demon from The Exorcist. I've found images of similar statues that have been made and sold as Pazuzu, and that would fit the facts of the story.

It was in a position that looked like it had been thrown out of a car on the way past.
It wouldn't surprise me to find someone scared of having Pazuzu around and deciding to get rid of it.

It's now taking centre stage on our weird articles display, and if anyone can shed light on who it actually is, go ahead!
Did your boy find the book with the pentagram cover at the same time?
Old 24th April 2019, 08:26 AM   #17
wasapi
Philosopher

What ever it is, it is a cool find!
Old 24th April 2019, 08:42 AM   #18
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
What ever it is, it is a cool find!
Cool find or harbinger of the coming apocalypse?

When Chtulluh awakes he will be unforgiving to those with the impudence to misidentify an ancient one. Some of you will have passings that will not be quick.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 09:18 AM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
My first thought as well!

"Garuda" is also the national airline of Indonesia, for some reason.
Old 24th April 2019, 11:50 AM   #20
Senex
Philosopher

Cthullu
Old 24th April 2019, 12:14 PM   #21
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
and these images of Garuda didn't convince you?
I didn't see those ones, but convince me now. Definitely Garuda, which is a shame - Pazuzu would have been much more satisfying.

The kids will never know the difference, so it's Pazuzu in the house at least.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Did your boy find the book with the pentagram cover at the same time?
No, and it's not a "book", it's a leather-bound copy of the King James Version of the Holy Bible, thank you very much.

Isn't that standard on the cover?
Old 24th April 2019, 12:15 PM   #22
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Senex View Post
Yikes, those genitals.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 12:56 PM   #23
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Yikes, those genitals.
Two genitalia? I hate to sound na´ve, but is that a 'double'?

Don't shame me.
Old 24th April 2019, 05:50 PM   #24
Thor 2
Philosopher

See if you can get it to do stuff like laying a curse. Sacrificing an animal would help and might I suggest the neighbour's cat.

You might also seek the help of that popular Kiwi holy man and guru, Ray (banana man) Comfort, if things get out of hand. I'm sure he would be to do an exorcism if someone gets possessed.
Old 24th April 2019, 06:51 PM   #25
Senex
Philosopher

No, and it's not a "book", it's a leather-bound copy of the King James Version of the Holy Bible, thank you very much.

Isn't that standard on the cover?
At this point having a Necronomicon covered with Cthullu's enemies skins won't save you.

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Yikes, those genitals.
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Two genitalia? I hate to sound na´ve, but is that a 'double'?

Don't shame me.
Yikes indeed. Don't be fooled, Cthullu isn't a charitable love.
Old 25th April 2019, 11:31 AM   #26
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Could be Garuda.
Winner! In Thai it sounds like "Khruth" when pronounced and it's definitely Garuda. National symbol of Thailand and signifies Royalty too. This one with the larger spread of the wings (wider) is very likely meant to signify "Royalty" rather than the Government of Thailand. (most of the credit for explanation here goes to the wife) I only caught that it was tied to Thai seals of Government though the rest is hers. Hats off, great work on the ID.

Chris B.
ôRacism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.ö President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 11:44 AM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Super cool, and you shouldn't have cleaned it, it looked better dark. Cleaned off it looks cheap. Sorry.
Old 25th April 2019, 03:02 PM   #28
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Winner! In Thai it sounds like "Khruth" when pronounced and it's definitely Garuda. National symbol of Thailand and signifies Royalty too. This one with the larger spread of the wings (wider) is very likely meant to signify "Royalty" rather than the Government of Thailand. (most of the credit for explanation here goes to the wife) I only caught that it was tied to Thai seals of Government though the rest is hers. Hats off, great work on the ID.

Chris B.
You people offering an alternative narrative are only making it worse for yourself.
Old 25th April 2019, 03:34 PM   #29
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

You people offering an alternative narrative are only making it worse for yourself.
It's already too late. Looking at an image alone of that cursed item is said to drive anyone insane, dry crops, cause floods and infertility.
Old 25th April 2019, 03:51 PM   #30
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Dry crops and flooding? Cool! At the same time even cooler.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 06:19 PM   #31
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Super cool, and you shouldn't have cleaned it, it looked better dark. Cleaned off it looks cheap. Sorry.
It probably was cheap.

The kids will never know the difference, so it's Pazuzu in the house at least.
Do you not teach your kids about the existence of different religions? I thought this would have been a great example of Hinduism.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:37 PM   #32
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Dry crops and flooding? Cool! At the same time even cooler.
Remember your smarmy post when the apocalypse starts.
Old 25th April 2019, 09:14 PM   #33
fuelair
Banned

Could be Pazuzu's statue - though, in all fairness, it looks like a statue of Padiddle to me!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 09:15 PM   #34
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Who ya gonna call?
Ghostpustules!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 09:20 PM   #35
fuelair
Banned

[quote=Senex;12675277]At this point having a Necronomicon covered with Cthullu's enemies skins won't save you.

His name is actually Cthulhu - and you will probably be unhappy when he comes around to make sure you know it real well for the rest of eternity.

Or so I have heard hinted!!!!!
Old 25th April 2019, 09:39 PM   #36
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It was just too corroded to leave. Looks pretty good now.

Do you not teach your kids about the existence of different religions? I thought this would have been a great example of Hinduism.
I wouldn't spend a second on comparative religions. One form of irrational behaviour is no different to the others. The individual parts may vary, but they're all complete bollocks, so all the kids need to know is that different people have different invisible deities, of which theirs is always the One True God.

They do like Ganesha, though.
Old 25th April 2019, 10:49 PM   #37
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I wouldn't spend a second on comparative religions. One form of irrational behaviour is no different to the others. The individual parts may vary, but they're all complete bollocks, so all the kids need to know is that different people have different invisible deities, of which theirs is always the One True God.

They do like Ganesha, though.
Fair enough, I suppose. Personally, I find the existence of religion quite interesting, and I don't think it's doing kids a disservice to learn about the ways in which different religions can differ.

- Randall Munroe
Old 26th April 2019, 01:55 AM   #38
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Too many better things to do.

Why waste time on religion, when there's astronomy, microbiology, biology, electricity and electronics, chemistry & physics to play with? Kids will learn more with 5 minutes using a magnet than they would in a lifetime of learning about religion.
Old 26th April 2019, 07:12 PM   #39
Senex
Philosopher

[quote=fuelair;12676541]
At this point having a Necronomicon covered with Cthullu's enemies skins won't save you.

His name is actually Cthulhu - and you will probably be unhappy when he comes around to make sure you know it real well for the rest of eternity.

Or so I have heard hinted!!!!!
The eccentric spellers will feel his wrath first. That's you my friend.
Old 27th April 2019, 08:42 AM   #40
philkensebben
Illuminator

Ahh thats Toby the Winged Demon. One of the lesser demons in accounts. Can be found by the water cooler Monday mornings, generally trying to hit on Sarah. Sarah is not interested though. She's an Archdemon. Head of accounts. Has a friend who claims to have once met Lucifer.

Not all demons having amazing names and roles you know.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal