ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th May 2019, 05:19 AM   #1921
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
You just earned more points on the crackpot scale.
I saw it as more points on the "Lazy trolling" scale.
Old 8th May 2019, 05:43 AM   #1922
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
There’s a lot of scientists and engineers that agree with me. Just the “expert” scientist are paid off and presented as legitimate.
Here's a pastor who appears to agree with you, at least on the idea of some basic astronomy facts being false.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Here's some commentary on the video.
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...-sun-and-moon/
Old 8th May 2019, 05:57 AM   #1923
JeanTate
Master Poster

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Well, everyone who CLAIMS to be from Australia is apparently in on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...t-wont-go-away
Hmm ... (reads birth certificate) ... I guess I have to claim that I'm "from Australia", so that means I'm "in on it" too, right?

Sadly, though, I'm still waiting for the $$ (or A$A$) Gingervytes and her fearless warriors know I must be being paid (to keep quiet) ...
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 06:09 AM   #1924
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
Hmm ... (reads birth certificate) ... I guess I have to claim that I'm "from Australia", so that means I'm "in on it" too, right?

Sadly, though, I'm still waiting for the $$ (or A$A$) Gingervytes and her fearless warriors know I must be being paid (to keep quiet) ...
Nah, it probably just means your parents were in on it.
Old 8th May 2019, 06:14 AM   #1925
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
Did you remember to write everything upside down in the application form to preserve the cover story?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 06:54 AM   #1926
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I have some really good news, but you all have to keep it secret!

You see, I just got my big packet of 'hush money' for telling everyone that rockets can, and do, work in the vacuum of space. So this weekend. I am going off to Vegas to spend that money on blackjack and hookers, but I am not really going to spend very much of on blackjack.

At any rate, you all have to keep this data to yourself, otherwise the public could learn the truth about how rockets really work in the vacuum of space and that could cause a lot of problems for those of us who are in on the conspiracy.

I actually have not received any hush money for saying that stuff about rockets.

And in fact, the above story is just a silly fiction. Especially that bit about blackjack and hookers which is joke that I stole from Bender.

A man's best friend is his dogma.

Last edited by Crossbow; 8th May 2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 06:59 AM   #1927
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Yes, Rockets CAN Fly in a Vacuum

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 8th May 2019, 07:09 AM   #1928
JeanTate
Master Poster

I AGREE
Wait ... cars on roads move because of gradient force pressure (pressure gradient force? I get confused) created by the exhaust?

I guess that explains why TPTB force us to install mufflers, it reduces the force pressure gradient, pressuring forcing us to buy more force gas petrol (I'm from Australia, remember). The global cabal conspiracy is vast and deep indeed ...
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 07:24 AM   #1929
Thermal
Philosopher

I AGREE
I see another poster can afford single malt.
Old 8th May 2019, 07:53 AM   #1930
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

Nah, but it keeps me in Tang.
Old 8th May 2019, 09:38 AM   #1931
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Nah, but it keeps me in Tang.
Get yourself a gallon of nice 20% fortified wine and mix the Tang with it. It will diffuse the taste of the wine, keep you drinking all day, and after half of it you won't know or care the difference from single malt anyway.

(a cheap binge from my youth 40+ years ago, the last time I ever drank Tang).
Old 8th May 2019, 10:15 AM   #1932
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
They're wrong too.
But more importantly, almost certainly imaginary.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 10:18 AM   #1933
Crossbow

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Get yourself a gallon of nice 20% fortified wine and mix the Tang with it. It will diffuse the taste of the wine, keep you drinking all day, and after half of it you won't know or care the difference from single malt anyway.

(a cheap binge from my youth 40+ years ago, the last time I ever drank Tang).
So if was at an evening social event,
and if one mixes Tang with Wine at the said event,

Then does everyone 'Wang Chung' tonight?

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 10:28 AM   #1934
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

*facepalm*

Old 8th May 2019, 10:36 AM   #1935
halleyscomet
Philosopher

It's a little known fact that Flat Earthers have trouble processing obvious evidence and information in other aspects of their lives as well. for example:

Last edited by halleyscomet; 8th May 2019 at 11:03 AM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 10:47 AM   #1936
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

Definitely. But the wine has to be served in 1 gallon glasses.
Old 8th May 2019, 11:34 AM   #1937
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
There’s a lot of scientists and engineers that agree with me. Just the “expert” scientist are paid off and presented as legitimate.
Hey, I'm an engineer! Happy to agree with you! Gonna cost ya, though.
Old 8th May 2019, 11:37 AM   #1938
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I AGREE
I never thought space could be so hot!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 11:43 AM   #1939
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I never thought space could be so hot!
Oh, but it can.

I AGREE
Old 8th May 2019, 11:50 AM   #1940
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Has Gingervytes chickened out left the building?
Old 8th May 2019, 11:56 AM   #1941
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Crushed by 2 bar.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 11:59 AM   #1942
p0lka
Graduate Poster

It's a little known fact that Flat Earthers have trouble processing obvious evidence and information in other aspects of their lives as well. for example:

https://i.imgur.com/mXkNm7el.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FhxKVDel.png
haha, gets her fractions wrong and her Boo is letting other people scratch his back as well, clueless
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 12:01 PM   #1943
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps. I still entertain the hope he/she has gone off to read up on buoyancy. ... or something.

Hans
Old 8th May 2019, 12:19 PM   #1944
Crossbow

I expect that he has been paid off by 'them' in order to stop telling us that "rockets cannot propel in the vacuum of space".
Old 8th May 2019, 01:13 PM   #1945
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Nah. They’ve gone longer than this without posting.
Old 8th May 2019, 02:01 PM   #1946
Elagabalus
Illuminator

And now for something completely different ...

Speaking of pressure vessels ...

Big Boy 4014 is Back!!

I AGREE
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 02:25 PM   #1947
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
I saw that when it was powered up after being rebuilt! Incredible restoration job!
Old 8th May 2019, 02:49 PM   #1948
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Big Boy 4014 is Back!!
My entire mechanical engineering team is taking a field trip tomorrow to go see it, and the venerable 844.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 02:59 PM   #1949
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And now for something completely different ...

Speaking of pressure vessels ...

Big Boy 4014 is Back!!

I AGREE
But it would blow up in a vacuum!
Seriously, it's so awesome. I've watched several videos and will watch more.

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
My entire mechanical engineering team is taking a field trip tomorrow to go see it, and the venerable 844.
Color me green with envy!
Old 8th May 2019, 03:15 PM   #1950
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I plan to stand behind it with a vacuum cleaner and see if I can get it to slow down any.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 03:19 PM   #1951
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Big Boy 4014 is Back!!

That's great news. That guy still owes me $150 from a Craigslist deal from 1998.
Old 8th May 2019, 03:23 PM   #1952
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I'm trying to remember my SCUBA class and IIRC, the greatest pressure difference that a diver will experience is between being on the surface of the water and then being completely submerged? Even if it's one inch below the surface of the water?

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
No, practically no difference in pressure in that example.

Diving to a depth of 11 feet is a larger pressure difference than you can experience anywhere on the surface of the Earth.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 03:48 PM   #1953
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Perhaps. I still entertain the hope he/she has gone off to read up on buoyancy. ... or something.

Hans
He might read up on gravity too, since he thinks that there is no equal and opposite force to gravity.

I guess that is another of those flat-earth things.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 03:49 PM   #1954
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Yeah! Me too.

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
I plan to stand behind it with a vacuum cleaner and see if I can get it to slow down any.

Pics or it hasn't happened yet!
Old 8th May 2019, 03:58 PM   #1955
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Diving to a depth of 11 feet is a larger pressure difference than you can experience anywhere on the surface of the Earth.

Thanks for that. I think that I was getting it confused with the tank air rule i.e. once you submerge your air tank you should automatically cut the amount of air you put into the tank (above the surface) by half - which is more of a rule of thumb. Or something like that.
Old 8th May 2019, 04:11 PM   #1956
curious cat
Thinker

Thanks for that. I think that I was getting it confused with the tank air rule i.e. once you submerge your air tank you should automatically cut the amount of air you put into the tank (above the surface) by half - which is more of a rule of thumb. Or something like that.
You are a very confused man . I'd suggest to take the course again, probably with a different instructor.
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 05:09 PM   #1957
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet
...And you know what? Atmospheric pressure is pretty low. About 14.7 PSI relative to vacuum. I've designed hydraulic systems for 5000PSI, relative to atmospheric. You know what? They didn't blow up...
Our rescue squad carries hydraulic cutters and spreaders (“jaws of life”) that run at 10,000 psi. A number of people owe their lives to the fact that such things work quite well at well over 600 times atmospheric pressure, including the flexible hoses that carry the pressure from the unit to the tool.

Ever seen a Space Shuttle tire? In many ways, very much like an airliner tire, or a truck tire, that routinely operate at many times atmospheric pressure. Crackpots and trolls like the OP are much less observant of the world around them than the average person.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 05:54 PM   #1958
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He pulled a Sir Robin, after personally wetting himself at the Battle of Baden Hill.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 06:30 PM   #1959
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

He pulled a Sir Robin, after personally wetting himself at the Battle of Baden Hill.
Yaaaaaaay.
Old 8th May 2019, 07:03 PM   #1960
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology