ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 14th May 2019, 08:58 AM   #1441
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I wonder if China will meddle in the way Russia did, trying to get a more malleable president.
2020 is going to be nuts, Chinese hacking to get the Dem elected, Russian hacking to get Trump re-elected However, we go into a recession and nothing will get Trump elected other than actual vote machine hacking in Ohio/Michigan etc, or widespread voter suppression by the swing states.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 14th May 2019 at 08:59 AM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 09:03 AM   #1442
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
2020 is going to be nuts, Chinese hacking to get the Dem elected, Russian hacking to get Trump re-elected However, we go into a recession and nothing will get Trump elected other than actual vote machine hacking in Ohio/Michigan etc, or widespread voter suppression by the swing states.

Man, I miss the 2000 election, when I thought I was joking when I referred to "the death of American democracy".
Old 14th May 2019, 09:31 AM   #1443
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I wonder if China will meddle in the way Russia did, trying to get a more malleable president.
I think if they did they'd be better at it. I believe China has a more advanced hacking program than Russia does.

ďThere are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.Ē - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 09:34 AM   #1444
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

Trump has little military knowledge and no strategic ability, besides being cruel and callous. He is being dragged into World War Three. What about international legality then?
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 09:38 AM   #1445
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Trump has little military knowledge and no strategic ability, besides being cruel and callous.
Sorry, had to fix this.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 09:51 AM   #1446
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Are Patriots classified as fruits or vegetables? Are they used as animal feed or are they sold in grocery stores?
Missiles. They're deployed to shoot down incoming Chinese imports.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:02 AM   #1447
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted

We are right where we want to be with China. Remember, they broke the deal with us & tried to renegotiate. We will be taking in Tens of Billions of Dollars in Tariffs from China. Buyers of product can make it themselves in the USA (ideal), or buy it from non-Tariffed countries...

....We will then spend (match or better) the money that China may no longer be spending with our Great Patriot Farmers (Agriculture), which is a small percentage of total Tariffs received, and distribute the food to starving people in nations around the world! GREAT! #MAGA
Lunatic.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:06 AM   #1448
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Lunatic.

Yep. I love the "they broke the deal with us & tried to renegotiate" line. The whole point is they're still negotiating, there's literally no "deal" to break.

Unless you count the WTO that trump wants to abrogate, of course.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:09 AM   #1449
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that the U.S. will go into a recession in the next year. GDP grown remains strong, as does consumer confidence.

I say 'unfortunately' because I think Trump and the republicans mismanaging the economy (between the huge deficits, trade wars, and financial deregulations). The worst possible scenario is that the economy staggers along until late 2020, a democrat gets elected, and then the economy crashes at the end of 2020/2021 (leaving Trump and the republicans to falsely claim that they are the ones who are best at handling the economy.)

Ideally I want the recession to occur sooner, while Trump is in office (and the republicans are in control of the senate), so that perhaps people might see "you know all that stuff the republicans did to help business? we are now in recession. Maybe next time you shouldn't expect them to handle the economy well.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 10:12 AM   #1450
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

yep.
If you win once in trade negotiations, you will always win.

Trump has never learned to negotiate with people again and again, since everyone regrets having dealt with him even once.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:16 AM   #1451
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that the U.S. will go into a recession in the next year. GDP grown remains strong, as does consumer confidence.

I say 'unfortunately' because I think Trump and the republicans mismanaging the economy (between the huge deficits, trade wars, and financial deregulations). The worst possible scenario is that the economy staggers along until late 2020, a democrat gets elected, and then the economy crashes at the end of 2020/2021 (leaving Trump and the republicans to falsely claim that they are the ones who are best at handling the economy.)

Ideally I want the recession to occur sooner, while Trump is in office (and the republicans are in control of the senate), so that perhaps people might see "you know all that stuff the republicans did to help business? we are now in recession. Maybe next time you shouldn't expect them to handle the economy well.
You mean like this from the Republican economist and author of Trumponomics?

Quote:
Former Reagan administration economist Arthur Laffer ridiculed Americans with student loan debt and blamed the 2007 Great Recession on Barack Obama, who didn't begin his presidential term until January 2009.

Speaking on Fox News Tuesday morning, longtime Republican economist Art Laffer warned viewers that Sen. Elizabeth Warren's $640 billion student loan debt forgiveness plan would be an economic "catastrophe" and cautioned 2020 voters that a Democrat like former President Barack Obama doing well in the polls may sink their retirement plans. The 2018 Trumponomics author claimed the 2007-2009 Great Recession was sparked by polls showing "Obama coming into the office," but made no mention of the subprime mortgage crisis and debt bubbles which began under Republican President George W. Bush in 2007.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 10:39 AM   #1452
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You mean like this from the Republican economist and author of Trumponomics?
I was going to point out the many conservative voices who blamed Obama for the recession that began before he was even elected. That will happen again, even if the next recession began yesterday the next Democratic President will get the blame.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 10:45 AM   #1453
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Laffer is an absurd excuse for an economist. Never before and never again had a scribble on the back of a napkin so much impact over economic policy.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:47 AM   #1454
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I was going to point out the many conservative voices who blamed Obama for the recession that began before he was even elected. That will happen again, even if the next recession began yesterday the next Democratic President will get the blame.

If they weren't blaming President Obama, then they were blaming President Clinton. President Bush apparently had no impact on the economy during his entire 8 years.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:11 AM   #1455
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Today marks the one-year anniversary of the opening of the United States Embassy in Jerusalem, Israel. Our beautiful embassy stands as a proud reminder of our strong relationship with Israel and of the importance of keeping a promise and standing for the truth.

When Prime Minister @AbeShinzo of Japan visited with me in the @WhiteHouse two weeks ago, I told him that I would be going to the G20 in Osaka, Japan. I look forward to being with him and other World Leaders!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:14 AM   #1456
lomiller
Philosopher

I kinda hate to say it, but Trump is in a way, right. Our market is more important to China, than China is to the USA.
Not really, the EU and Chinaís own domestic market are more important to China than the US is.

Furthermore the notion that he can slow Chinaís exports with tariffs is flawed in so many ways. IMO all heís doing is raising process for US consumers and potentially these price increases will force the Fed to increase interest rates slowing the US economy. Even if he is successful in slowing US imports, once again were are back to the fact that trade deficits go hand-in-glove with investment $. Reduced trade deficits also mean reduced investment capital flowing into the US likely leaving US business starved for capital which again limits long term growth.

The best thing the US can do to reduce itís trade deficit is to stop running $1.2 trillion budget deficits that suck up all the available domestic investment capital and forcing US businesses to rely of foreign investment.
Old 14th May 2019, 11:15 AM   #1457
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Today marks the one-year anniversary of the opening of the United States Embassy in Jerusalem, Israel. Our beautiful embassy stands as a proud reminder of our strong relationship with Israel and of the importance of keeping a promise and standing for the truth.

When Prime Minister @AbeShinzo of Japan visited with me in the @WhiteHouse two weeks ago, I told him that I would be going to the G20 in Osaka, Japan. I look forward to being with him and other World Leaders!
I suspect the feeling is not returned.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 11:20 AM   #1458
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The greatest imbalance between the US and China is not in trade balance, or economy size: it's how much influence the government has over its economy, and if it can stay in power when things get unpleasant.
China has the US beat on both counts.
Old 14th May 2019, 11:32 AM   #1459
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Not really, the EU and China’s own domestic market are more important to China than the US is.

Furthermore the notion that he can slow China’s exports with tariffs is flawed in so many ways. IMO all he’s doing is raising process for US consumers and potentially these price increases will force the Fed to increase interest rates slowing the US economy. Even if he is successful in slowing US imports, once again were are back to the fact that trade deficits go hand-in-glove with investment $. Reduced trade deficits also mean reduced investment capital flowing into the US likely leaving US business starved for capital which again limits long term growth.

The best thing the US can do to reduce it’s trade deficit is to stop running $1.2 trillion budget deficits that suck up all the available domestic investment capital and forcing US businesses to rely of foreign investment.
That might be true, but isn't what I said. China exported around $500 billion to the United States. The United States exported $180 billion to China.

Also, it doesn't seem to be true (the EU part). http://www.worldstopexports.com/chin...port-partners/

ETA: don't think what I meant was slapping tariffs on goods will be a benefit for the USA. It won't, only that it will hurt China probably more... but they can weather that storm. I wish I could find the article but I read from an economist explaining why complaints that other countries are selling you stuff too cheaply is one of the dumbest things he's ever even heard of.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 14th May 2019 at 11:44 AM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 12:17 PM   #1460
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Ha ha!

From: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...xury-buildings
Trump Tower, once the crown jewel in Donald Trump’s property empire, now ranks as one of the least desirable luxury properties in Manhattan. The 36-year-old building has been turned into a fortress since Trump won the presidency, ringed with concrete barriers and the two main entrances partially blocked off. It hasn’t been substantially updated in years. And Trump’s name has been a huge turnoff in liberal New York City.... Most condo sales have led to a loss after adjusting for inflation, property records show. Several sold at more than a 20% loss.
While some corners of Trump’s business empire have thrived...others have suffered from his high unpopularity. Rounds of golf are down at his public course in New York, a clutch of once Trump-branded buildings have torn his name off their fronts, and an ambitious plan to launch a new mid-tier hotel chain across the country fizzled.
The commercial portion of the building has been struggling for months to find tenants for more than 42,000 square feet of vacant office space, despite advertising rents well below the area’s average...

Sadly, many of the people suffering are tenants (condo owners) rather than Trump himself. Still, it probably doesn't help his ego much.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 01:07 PM   #1461
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

The best thing the US can do to reduce itís trade deficit is to stop running $1.2 trillion budget deficits that suck up all the available domestic investment capital and forcing US businesses to rely of foreign investment.
Perhaps some sort of tax cut will reduce the deficit. That's always worked in the past.

it was sarcasm, jeez!
Old 14th May 2019, 01:16 PM   #1462
lomiller
Philosopher

That might be true, but isn't what I said. China exported around $500 billion to the United States. The United States exported $180 billion to China.

Also, it doesn't seem to be true (the EU part). http://www.worldstopexports.com/chin...port-partners/

ETA: don't think what I meant was slapping tariffs on goods will be a benefit for the USA. It won't, only that it will hurt China probably more... but they can weather that storm. I wish I could find the article but I read from an economist explaining why complaints that other countries are selling you stuff too cheaply is one of the dumbest things he's ever even heard of.
But again, those numbers canít change as long investment capital is flowing out of China and into the US. If they could change, itís also wrong to think that China is being hurt more.

Eg, lets re-frame it and say that The US stands to lose $500 billion in investment while China stands to lose $180 billion in investment, now who is ďhurt moreĒ? Ignoring all other trade for simplicity sake, this is more or less whatís going on. A sustained $320 billion trade deficit like this can only occur if China is investing $320 billion per year in the US.
Old 14th May 2019, 01:21 PM   #1463
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Perhaps some sort of tax cut will reduce the deficit. That's always worked in the past.

it was sarcasm, jeez!
Surely if tax rates could finally be reduced to zero, there would be enough revenue to pay for everything. Taxes are just a Democratic plot to create budget deficits after all.
Old 14th May 2019, 01:30 PM   #1464
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Surely if tax rates could finally be reduced to zero, there would be enough revenue to pay for everything. Taxes are just a Democratic plot to create budget deficits after all.
Well, I'm being deluged with all that trickle down money from the rich getting those tax cuts. I just don't know what to do with all this extra money!
Old 14th May 2019, 01:51 PM   #1465
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

But again, those numbers can’t change as long investment capital is flowing out of China and into the US. If they could change, it’s also wrong to think that China is being hurt more.

Eg, lets re-frame it and say that The US stands to lose $500 billion in investment while China stands to lose $180 billion in investment, now who is “hurt more”? Ignoring all other trade for simplicity sake, this is more or less what’s going on. A sustained $320 billion trade deficit like this can only occur if China is investing $320 billion per year in the US.
Why do you think investment capital is flowing out of China and into the USA?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/08/vent...nvestment.html

Trade is not investment. Or do you mean a trade war will hurt US investors because China imposing tariffs on the US will hurt US investors in China. That is definitely true.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 14th May 2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 14th May 2019, 02:01 PM   #1466
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Sadly, many of the people suffering are tenants (condo owners) rather than Trump himself. Still, it probably doesn't help his ego much.
I don’t think it hurts his ego at all.
President Trump’s ego is virtually impervious to facts: he simply disbelieves them and goes on having the highest opinion of himself and everything he touches.
Old 14th May 2019, 02:37 PM   #1467
carrps
Thinker

Trump Tweets

He sounds like a 13 year old girl looking forward to a slumber party.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 02:48 PM   #1468
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweets

Under my Administration, we are restoring @NASA to greatness and we are going back to the Moon, then Mars. I am updating my budget to include an additional $1.6 billion so that we can return to Space in a BIG WAY!

Today, I officially updated my budget to include $18 million for our GREAT @SpecialOlympics, whose athletes inspire us and make our Nation so PROUD!
I don't think his "budget" means any more than his fantasy budgets for his businesses that went bankrupt or Hitler's fantasy armies at the end of WWII.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 02:55 PM   #1469
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump has little military knowledge and no strategic ability, besides being cruel and callous. He is being dragged into World War Three. What about international legality then?
Trump is merrily skipping down the road to war with that stupid smile on his face.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 03:21 PM   #1470
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Controversial is an interesting euphemism for xenophobic, fascist, anti-Semite.
Just like Trump except Trump kisses up to Netanyahu and rich Jews who pay for US gov. favors donate to his campaign.
Old 14th May 2019, 04:27 PM   #1471
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Trump is merrily skipping down the road to war with that stupid smile on his face.
...while being led by the nose by John Bolton.

It hasn't escaped everyone's attention - good piece here: https://www.truthdig.com/articles/th...war-with-iran/

Trump will have the best wars. Much better than any president in history.
Old 14th May 2019, 04:30 PM   #1472
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He is not being dragged, he is jumping in .

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 04:36 PM   #1473
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Well, it might be more objective to say that “Tariffs are an incentive to encourage importers to buy from domestic sources instead”.

As such, carefully crafted tariffs can be rationally supported. I think it was in the mid-1970’s when Harley Davidson was struggling mightily against Japanese imports, and a tariff was imposed on imported motorcycles 750cc and over. Though Harley is once again struggling, albeit for different reasons, those tariffs arguably did buy the company about 40 years of life. Which most would see as a good thing.

But Republicans have always favored free trade. Trump is either a moron or a liar or both when he says money from China is pouring into US coffers. Huge tariffs back and forth like these are not targeted and will cause pain all around.

And how did we get to the point where the power to impose tariffs fall on just one man? It seems more logical that congress have that power.
It's another power that the Congress allowed to pass to the White House because they thought they would be getting rid of a political hot potato.
And there are many,many others. Congress. over the past century had ceded power to the White House for no other reason then it got them off the hook and pass the buck when it came to making a politically difficult decision.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 04:40 PM   #1474
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

At which point I predict we will go into a defacto Second Civil War.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:30 PM   #1475
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He is not being dragged, he is jumping in .
I expect that Trump will follow his SOP and bring us to the bring of war and then call it off and declare himself to be the greatest peacemaker in the history of the world.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 05:31 PM   #1476
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

2020 is going to be nuts,
Especially if Trump believes that the only way he can avoid criminal charges is to remain president.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 05:35 PM   #1477
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
At which point I predict we will go into a defacto [proxy] Second Civil War.
FTFY

How ironic it would be if Russia and China supported opposite sides in a US civil war.
Old 14th May 2019, 06:10 PM   #1478
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The golden era of American energy is now underway!

With incredible grit, skill, and pride, the 7,000 workers here at Sempra Energy are helping lead the American Energy Revolution. They are not only making our nation WEALTHIER but they are making America SAFER by building a future of American Energy INDEPENDENCE!

It is great to be here in Hackberry, Louisiana with the incredible men and women who are making America into the energy superpower of the world!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 14th May 2019 at 06:15 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 06:29 PM   #1479
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
He sounds like a 13 year old girl looking forward to a slumber party.
You owe an apology to every 13 year old girl in the world.
Old 14th May 2019, 06:48 PM   #1480
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

As expected, CHina struck back with a 25% tariff on many American goods.
What Trump does not get is that CHina is just too big for him to push around or intimidate.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics