ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Boston incidents , Kyle Chapman , Mark Sahady , white nationalists

Old 6th June 2019, 03:40 PM   #41
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Yer don't say? Duh, I never woulda thunk it. Jeenius!

FFS, that's implicitly understood by everyone who can tie their own shoelaces, has been for decades.

What they are (pride marches) is a bunch of weirdos who now enjoy the complete protection of the state and law enforcement as they get in people's faces with extremely revealing and provocative clothing while simulating sex (once called 'obscene') acts in organised public events, which people can criticise or object to at their peril.

They are a demonstration of political power.
Man, every group of weirdos is under compete protection by the government, not really a distinction that needs to be said, that is the point of a free society.

Your first point being demolished there, destroys the foundation of your second.

It's cool if they annoy you, again that's the point of a free society. And,if you really don't like it, then go join in the straight pride parade. To underline, if my point is unclear, that is the point of a free society.

And if you just don't like displays relating to any sexuality so wouldn't want to march , good news, and it comes courtesy of our friend, a free society.

So pride parades are not any kind of a display of political power, unless you mean the political idea that everyone is equal and entitled to display their views,beliefs and lifestyle within the bounds of the law.

And whatever your stripe of belief ( within the realm of the law obviously.) , anyone who would silence it is someone I oppose. The question is, can you say the same? If not you are politically free loading from a free society.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 03:53 PM   #42
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It would, as they say, be fabulous.
Don't forget Judas Priest!
Old 6th June 2019, 03:57 PM   #43
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I suggest they hold a nice tea party instead.
But that would probably get the Native Americans upset if they dressed properly for the occasion....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 03:58 PM   #44
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Once again I am annoyed that people in a site devoted to skeptical thinking often ignore the basic rule of "Don't Feed The Trolls".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 03:58 PM   #45
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The mistake they make is that, because "straight" people are a large majority of the population, they think somehow that they represent that majority, when what they really represent is a very small number of bigots.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 04:05 PM   #46
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

I love when bigots project their bigotry on others by default
Old 6th June 2019, 04:10 PM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Best description of this thread so far.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 04:28 PM   #48
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Once again I am annoyed that people in a site devoted to skeptical thinking often ignore the basic rule of "Don't Feed The Trolls".
Oh it quickly became playing with the chew toy instead.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 06:31 PM   #49
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The mistake they make is that, because "straight" people are a large majority of the population, they think somehow that they represent that majority, when what they really represent is a very small number of bigots.
Is the same with us in the LGBT crowd really. Most people just want to go about their lives. But we live in an age where any spokesperson for any just about any non political party group is self appointed, and the most obnoxious extremist one could find.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 07:34 PM   #50
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
I hope the local AntiFa shows up and beats the everloving crap out of these turds.
No. Pointing and laughing would be better.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 07:36 PM   #51
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Milkshakes for all!
Old 6th June 2019, 07:42 PM   #52
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
That is a great idea!

I suggest that such a parade use music from Queen, Elton John, Boy George and a few other such people as an accompaniment.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 07:45 PM   #53
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Yer don't say? Duh, I never woulda thunk it. Jeenius!

FFS, that's implicitly understood by everyone who can tie their own shoelaces, has been for decades.

What they are (pride marches) is a bunch of weirdos who now enjoy the complete protection of the state and law enforcement as they get in people's faces with extremely revealing and provocative clothing while simulating sex (once called 'obscene') acts in organised public events, which people can criticise or object to at their peril.

They are a demonstration of political power.
Here's where we need a yawning smiley!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 08:17 PM   #54
Mumbles
Philosopher

I hope the local AntiFa shows up and beats the everloving crap out of these turds.
...in the works.

This is basically an excuse for the latest Nazi wannabe parade. They'll be handled as is appropriate.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 08:19 PM   #55
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
...in the works.

This is basically an excuse for the latest Nazi wannabe parade. They'll be handled as is appropriate.

Ya love to see it, folks...

Last edited by Lambchops; 6th June 2019 at 08:20 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 08:37 PM   #56
sadhatter
Philosopher

...in the works.

That literally makes my inner eye cringe.

No one is scared of a movement who's idea of going out kitted up are the credit card knives you get as a free bonus at an army surplus store, and recycle the second you get home.

Dangerous enough to make the left look bad, weak enough to not even be "tough guys" right.
Old 6th June 2019, 08:38 PM   #57
Shadowdweller
Muse

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Is the same with us in the LGBT crowd really. Most people just want to go about their lives. But we live in an age where any spokesperson for any just about any non political party group is self appointed, and the most obnoxious extremist one could find.
Press coverage, much like social media viewings, naturally seems to gravitate toward the most extremist members of a movement; resulting in increased public awareness. Even if said individuals didn't formerly possess any real power within said movement.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 08:40 PM   #58
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Here's where we need a yawning smiley!!!!!

Here.... have one of mine...

Yawn

YAWN

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 08:59 PM   #59
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

A friend of mine wrote this on Facebook today. I thought I'd share it (with permission).

Quote:
I am white. Male. Heterosexual. Cisgender.

None of these things have kept me from getting a job. Going to school. Using the bathroom. None of them have brought me harassment or violence or threats of violence or death. I can - and have - walked sagely through my neighbourhood at night with the knowledge that my identity will make me invisible to most dangers.

I'm not preached against in pulpits. Blamed for crime and poverty and the wrath of gods. I don't have my bodily rights restricted. I'm not told that I have to cover myself lest I pollute the minds and morals of others. I'm not assumed to be committing a crime by simply existing in a space where someone else thinks that I shouldn't be. I don't have the police being used as a weapon against me when someone doesn't want to see me somewhere.

I'm never told that I'm being emotional. Going through a phase. Just seeking attention. Deceived by dark forces. Playing the race card. Choosing to be what I am. I'm not second guessed, or dismissed entirely.

I'm seen. I'm heard.

That's why I don't get a parade or a march. And that's why I'm perfectly fine that others get to have those things.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 09:02 PM   #60
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
A friend of mine wrote this on Facebook today. I thought I'd share it (with permission).
Your friend has a way with words. Great stuff, he really nailed it there.
Old 6th June 2019, 09:16 PM   #61
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Your friend has a way with words. Great stuff, he really nailed it there.
He sure does. At other times he stands on street corners with a sign that reads "You Are Awesome".

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 09:25 PM   #62
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

He sure does. At other times he stands on street corners with a sign that reads "You Are Awesome".
Sounds good to me. There are many worse things to do with your life than trying to give people a good day.
Old 6th June 2019, 09:54 PM   #63
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

There's also a lot to be said for a Sousaphone.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 09:59 PM   #64
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
It never surprises me anymore when a white person feels safe enough to share their transparently racist thoughts and jokes with me just because I'm also white and there's no minorities around.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 10:00 PM   #65
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
There's also a lot to be said for a Sousaphone.
Haha, womp womp...

Awesome how members on here think we have to take these guys seriously. bUt MuH fReEZe PeAcH! Hurr durr.
Old 6th June 2019, 10:02 PM   #66
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It never surprises me anymore when a white person feels safe enough to share their transparently racist thoughts and jokes with me just because I'm also white and there's no minorities around.
Yeah, I have this happening with close relatives, and I live in a country that is mostly white.

No war but class war.
Old 6th June 2019, 10:06 PM   #67
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Was reading about this a couple of days ago.

Kind of a who cares thing really

Some group of people will get offended and protest though, as is the way of things
Whoooosh
Old 6th June 2019, 10:10 PM   #68
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

This utterly nails it.
https://twitter.com/evaandheriud/sta...436508673?s=21
Old 6th June 2019, 10:12 PM   #69
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Was reading about this a couple of days ago.

Kind of a who cares thing really

Some group of people will get offended and protest though, as is the way of things
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 9th June 2019 at 02:11 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 10:16 PM   #70
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
The irony is that the "Straight Pride Parade" is going to be the gayest parade ever.

It is going to be all manly men enjoying the company of other manly men. It's gonna be sooo gay.

I mean, nothing wrong with that, but holy crap the irony of it all.

Last edited by Lambchops; 6th June 2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 6th June 2019, 10:48 PM   #71
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I liked this guy's take as well: https://twitter.com/dylanmarron/stat...87878970363906
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 10:57 PM   #72
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.
It is a group of idiots organising a stupide pointless parade

Last time I checked if you get a permit any one can do it

As is proved by all the other stupid pointless parades like the pride one
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by zooterkin; 9th June 2019 at 02:12 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 11:16 PM   #73
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I am fond of sarcasm.
Old 6th June 2019, 11:17 PM   #74
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

It is a group of idiots organising a stupide pointless parade

Last time I checked if you get a permit any one can do it

As is proved by all the other stupid pointless parades like the pride one
What makes this parade pointless?
Old 6th June 2019, 11:17 PM   #75
Mumbles
Philosopher

The reason for Pride demonstrations is to throw the idea that one should be ashamed because of immutable characteristics out.

When it comes to being straight, I don't even know of a slur. if there is one, it hasn't reached my ears. There's no point to any kind of "Straight Pride" rally, because people don't even think of being ashamed of being straight.

As I said, the organizer for this stunt is a Nazi wannabe, he'll get the required response, as seen fit. But don't pretend that this is even a reply to LGBT Pride parades, as many issues as they may have.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 11:24 PM   #76
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The reason for Pride demonstrations is to throw the idea that one should be ashamed because of immutable characteristics out.

When it comes to being straight, I don't even know of a slur. if there is one, it hasn't reached my ears. There's no point to any kind of "Straight Pride" rally, because people don't even think of being ashamed of being straight.

As I said, the organizer for this stunt is a Nazi wannabe, he'll get the required response, as seen fit. But don't pretend that this is even a reply to LGBT Pride parades, as many issues as they may have.
Just more reactionarianism. People who miss calling a spade a spade and a homosexual a poofter.
Old 6th June 2019, 11:27 PM   #77
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What makes this parade pointless?
Same as all the other pointless ones.

It is a meaningless walk down the road that changes nothing.

Look at the pride one. It has hardly done anything to stop gay people getting beat up.

The only difference with this one is it seems mostly to wind up the lefty easily triggered and is slightly more pointless than the pride one.

Edit: Should have said prejudiced against as well as beat up
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Last edited by cullennz; 6th June 2019 at 11:28 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 11:39 PM   #78
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Look at the pride one. It has hardly done anything to stop gay people getting beat up.

The only difference with this one is it seems mostly to wind up the lefty easily triggered and is slightly more pointless than the pride one.

Don't ever say that to my friends who were in the first Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras in 1978.

- Randall Munroe
Old 6th June 2019, 11:43 PM   #79
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

There is a canyon of worldviews between us. Can you imagine what it might have been like growing up a gay man in the 70s and 80s? To help you a bit, think back to the names you used to call other kids at school like poofter and faggot. Think of the ways in which homosexuals and same sex relationships were portrayed in popular culture. Was it one of normalcy and acceptance? Imagine you are a young man experiencing same sex attraction in this environment. If you can manage this with a better attitude than thinking they need to just deal with it, you are making progress.

It was in this environment that the first gay pride marches occurred. Can you imagine the sentiments that drove these people and the courage it took to participate? If you do, then you have an idea what self absorbed ignorant **** heads the people who think a heterosexual pride march is a good idea are. A lefty wind up indeed.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 6th June 2019 at 11:45 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 11:47 PM   #80
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Don't ever say that to my friends who were in the first Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras in 1978.
TBF

The Sydney one is an exception as it actually seemed to do something.

The place is probably (arguably) now the most lgbt friendly place around

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events