ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:46 AM   #361
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Quote:
Trump: I may tackle homelessness because leaders 'can't be looking at that'

The first two and a half years of the Trump administration have yielded few traces of action on the social policy front, apart from a criminal justice reform bill. Trump has repeatedly attacked society’s most vulnerable, including immigrants and refugees. Yet in his interview with Carlson, Trump appeared enthused about his plan to address homelessness.

“When we have leaders of the world coming in to see the president of the United States and they’re riding down a highway, they can’t be looking at that,” Trump said of homelessness. “I really believe that it hurts our country.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/.../donald-trump-

I strongly suspect his solution will entail rounding the homeless up and incarcerating them in the desert, a LONG way from where they CAN be seen by passing dignitaries. Certainly he won't do anything about solving the causes of the problem.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 01:03 AM   #362
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Well then, random news time.

Oh, hey, don't look now, another underhanded move in the Trump Administration's war on science.

Quote:
As many as four out of five employees at the Agriculture Department’s Economic Research Service could quit instead of relocating to the agency’s new headquarters in Kansas City, according to a preliminary survey compiled by union leaders and shared exclusively with POLITICO.

The mass exodus forecast by the union’s review, combined with departures ERS has already absorbed, has added to deep concerns among staff that relocation could paralyze the research agency’s work.

ERS employees monitor agricultural markets and provide assessments of global commodity production, consumption and trade that farmers depend on when making planting decisions. The agency’s researchers also study the effects of climate change on agriculture, nutrition programs and the environment, among other areas.

Employees selected for relocation, several of whom have told POLITICO they believe the move is an effort to stifle research that contradicts the Trump administration’s agenda, have been given until July 15 to notify the department whether they will relocate.
PA state senator screams over Dem as she reads plea of man whose life depends on aid Rs vote to end. Republican civility and compassion!

Inside the Secret Border Patrol Facebook Group Where Agents Joke About Migrant Deaths and Post Sexist Memes
The three-year-old group, which has roughly 9,500 members, shared derogatory comments about Latina lawmakers who plan to visit a controversial Texas detention facility on Monday, calling them “scum buckets” and “hoes.”

Also, a pic representing AOC getting orally raped by Trump. Classy! Also, a bunch of the posts are outright firing offenses... that have been known to the relevant people and not acted on, apparently. This just further emphasizes the "ICE and border patrol agents are not being held accountable for their actions" culture that's at the heart of the calls to reform ICE. Very possibly intentionally, too, given that - Homeland Security admits it’s using abhorrent conditions at detention centers to deter migration.

Quote:
None of this information, however, was new to DHS. The agency had the information about the conditions at this border patrol station for months and described it in the report as “chaos.” In spite of this, nothing was done. In fact, the report clearly outlines that the poor conditions thousands are facing at the hands of the U.S. government are actually the desired outcome.

“[Border Patrol] recognize[s] they have a humanitarian issue with detaining single adults for so long, but believe if they do not have a consequence delivery system, either prosecution or ICE detention, the flow will increase,” the report states, laying bare the Trump administration’s true motives: maintaining horrible conditions at border patrol facilities is necessary to deter immigrants from coming to the United States.
Of course, though...

Quote:
“Border Patrol seems to think these brutal conditions, and the human suffering that results, will deter immigration, but the fact is that many of these people are fleeing persecution and violence, reuniting with family, or are themselves U.S. citizens,” said James Duff Lyall, an attorney with ACLU of Arizona, back in 2015. “These policies and practices serve no legitimate purpose, violate the U.S. Constitution, and offend basic American values.”

Last edited by Aridas; 2nd July 2019 at 01:06 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:12 AM   #363
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
More like...

Old 2nd July 2019, 04:48 AM   #364
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

People are fleeing New York like never before. If they own a business, they are twice as likely to flee. And if they are a victim of harassment by the A.G. of the state, like what they are doing to our great NRA, which I think will move quickly to Texas, where they are loved.....

..Texas will defend them & indemnify them against political harassment by New York State and Governor Cuomo. So many people are leaving New York for Texas and Florida that it is totally under siege. First New York taxes you too high, then they sue you, just to complete the job
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:50 AM   #365
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

His lies don't make any sense. I'm sure it's motivated by his hatred of New York's leaders.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:51 AM   #366
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Mark Levin has written a big number one bestselling book called, conspicuously and accurately, “Unfreedom of the Press.” It is a great book that tells it like it is, fake news and all. Keep this book number one!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:52 AM   #367
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

As most people are aware, according to the Polls, I won EVERY debate, including the three with Crooked Hillary Clinton, despite the fact that in the first debate, they modulated the sound on me, and got caught. This crew looks somewhat easier than Crooked, but you never know?
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:55 AM   #368
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

As most people are aware, according to the Polls, I won EVERY debate, including the three with Crooked Hillary Clinton, despite the fact that in the first debate, they modulated the sound on me, and got caught. This crew looks somewhat easier than Crooked, but you never know?
The Economy is the BEST IT HAS EVER BEEN! Even much of the Fake News is giving me credit for that!
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:22 AM   #369
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump is getting his tanks, but as an immobile display, not the parade he was obviously hoping for.

Quote:
A small number of M1 Abrams tanks and other armored vehicles will participate in President Donald Trump's July Fourth celebrations in Washington on Thursday, US defense officials have confirmed to CNN.
However, they will not parade down Pennsylvania Avenue due to the need to protect roads and bridges.
A US defense official said that the current plan is to have a very small number of armored vehicles participate as part of a "static display" at the event on the National Mall. The vehicles will not be moving thereby reducing the chance of damaging local infrastructure. The number of vehicles will be very small with the current plan to have two M1 Abrams tanks, two Bradley fighting vehicles and an armored M88 Recovery Vehicle, along with an "appropriate" number of accompanying personnel.

And we really are going back to the 1950s.

Quote:
"You've got to be pretty careful with the tanks because the roads have a tendency not to like to carry heavy tanks so we have to put them in certain areas but we have the brand new Sherman tanks and we have the brand new Abrams tanks," Trump added.

While the US continues to operate the M1 Abrams tank the US military has not used World War II-era M4 Sherman tanks since the 1950s.

New Sherman tanks.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:15 AM   #370
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The Economy is the BEST IT HAS EVER BEEN! Even much of the Fake News is giving me credit for that!
This might be a double-edged sword for Donnie. The economy is doing well and many Americans give him credit, at least partially. At the same time, many Americans continue to believe the economy works best for the very wealthy and those in power. That working class and middle income Americans are not looked after. Many of the independent voters who selected Trump in 2016 did so because they believed, "He wants to help people like me." Some still believe that but many no longer do. In order to be reelected he needs those voters. Constantly bragging about the economy, when many working people are still having a rough time of it, may be rubbing salt in the wound.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:39 AM   #371
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Ivanka at the G20.

As I watched her try to work the crowd, I got the idea that President Trump thinks Ivanka can run for political office some day. Am I way off base in my surmise?

I have a hard time imagining his base rallying behind a woman.

For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:41 AM   #372
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Hey looks like homeless camps are the next thing we're just going to have to accept is a thing that exists in our country.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/85058...elessness-mess
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:45 AM   #373
a_unique_person

I think the way Trump diplomacy works is this. Iran should go all out as fast as they can to get nukes. Then Trump will fawn all over them and be their best friend.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:57 AM   #374
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
This might be a double-edged sword for Donnie. The economy is doing well and many Americans give him credit, at least partially. At the same time, many Americans continue to believe the economy works best for the very wealthy and those in power. That working class and middle income Americans are not looked after. Many of the independent voters who selected Trump in 2016 did so because they believed, "He wants to help people like me." Some still believe that but many no longer do. In order to be reelected he needs those voters. Constantly bragging about the economy, when many working people are still having a rough time of it, may be rubbing salt in the wound.
What the working class Average Joe Sixpack regular American Everyman really prioritizes is reducing capital gains taxes and inflation indexing. Why, I can't go down the street in the ghetto or sit in the diner in farmtown without hearing about ordinary folks' investment portfolios not being tax optimized. The heartland cries out for their Cayman Islands trusts to be exempt from taxes. Why, oh why, must the little people suffer so?
Old 2nd July 2019, 09:05 AM   #375
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I agree, and would support seeing it codified into law.
Depends on what you meant by "no dynasties." Do you mean, not allowing persons exercising executive power from appointing family members, close friends, etc. to other executive positions to create a sort of 'family business" model for government? If so, I think most people can get behind that and that it can be done in such a manner so as to not impede on various rights and freedoms.

If you meant not allowing the siblings, children, grandchildren, etc. of elected officials from seeking certain offices because a family member once held that office, then that's a bit more problematic.

And do you apply this outside the executive/legislative branch - ie. what about those families that generationally serve in the armed forces, or police forces? Should that be permitted? If not, how do you justify it without creating a constitutional mess?
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:08 AM   #376
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Depends on what you meant by "no dynasties." Do you mean, not allowing persons exercising executive power from appointing family members, close friends, etc. to other executive positions to create a sort of 'family business" model for government? If so, I think most people can get behind that and that it can be done in such a manner so as to not impede on various rights and freedoms.

If you meant not allowing the siblings, children, grandchildren, etc. of elected officials from seeking certain offices because a family member once held that office, then that's a bit more problematic.

And do you apply this outside the executive/legislative branch - ie. what about those families that generationally serve in the armed forces, or police forces? Should that be permitted? If not, how do you justify it without creating a constitutional mess?
There are already nepotism laws for the executive branch, but they don't preclude putting Ivanka in an unpaid position as an advisor.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:24 AM   #377
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Big 4th of July in D.C. “Salute to America.” The Pentagon & our great Military Leaders are thrilled to be doing this & showing to the American people, among other things, the strongest and most advanced Military anywhere in the World. Incredible Flyovers & biggest ever Fireworks!
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:28 AM   #378
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Does this moron really believe his own lies or does he know he's slinging feces? If the former, he's living in an alternate reality. If the latter, it's just further proof he's a lying liar. As if we needed any more proof of that.

Quote:
In fact, major post-debate polls following the candidates' three debates from September to October showed that respondents believed Clinton emerged as the victor over Trump, ranging from a five-point margin of victory to a 40-point margin.
Quote:
Polls conducted by various organizations, including Gallup, Fox, NBC, CNN, Politico, YouGov and Public Policy Polling, showed otherwise for all three 2016 debates. But it's not the first time that Trump or his campaign have falsely claimed victory in post-debate polls.
https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-...illary-1447108
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:28 AM   #379
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

DOI press release describes 4th July celebrations as
Quote:
President Donald Trump’s Fourth of July celebration
https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/wh...ly-celebration
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:39 AM   #380
Stacyhs
Philosopher

"President Donald Trump’s Fourth of July celebration"?

And here I thought this was America's Fourth of July celebration! How silly of me!

(Can this idiot get any more narcissistic? What next? He'll tweet about how high the ratings were for 'his' celebration?)
'
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:46 AM   #381
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

And here I thought this was America's Fourth of July celebration! How silly of me!

L'etat, C'est moi.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:54 AM   #382
plague311
Great minds think...

Does this moron really believe his own lies or does he know he's slinging feces? If the former, he's living in an alternate reality. If the latter, it's just further proof he's a lying liar. As if we needed any more proof of that.

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-...illary-1447108
I think he's learned that he doesn't have to believe them because his base will without any hesitation.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:55 AM   #383
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'd agree a recession would potentially cost Trump the election, but I think the chances of that happening are close enough to zero to not bother mentioning.
Recessions are hard to predict (with people making false predictions all the time), but there are signs that a recession might happen fairly soon:

- An inverted bond yield curve
- slowing job growth
- Slowing economic growth
- Declines in both the retail sector, and in home prices in many markets

Granted, it doesn't necessarily mean that a recession will hit before the next election, but there are certainly signs that one is coming.

https://today.duke.edu/2019/07/its-o...n-loom-horizon
https://www.salon.com/2019/06/07/is-...signs_partner/
https://www.newsweek.com/economic-re...-trump-1437258

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:00 AM   #384
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
L'etat, C'est moi.
Oh, to have the president’s ear for just 60 seconds.
I think he could be convinced that L’état, c’est moi is French for best president ever that he should add it to a tweet.

Last edited by Ladewig; 2nd July 2019 at 11:02 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:01 AM   #385
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I doubt a recession will come in time for the Election: CEOs know that Trump will do anything in his power to keep the DOW high, and Dems don't want to appear hostile to businesses. Unless the recession hits before Black Friday, it won't until after the Election.
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:11 AM   #386
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I doubt a recession will come in time for the Election: CEOs know that Trump will do anything in his power to keep the DOW high
Not really sure what he can do though... the republicans have already done the tax cut thing (which might have boosted the stock market but its effect is fading). The government doesn't directly control the fed so he can't dictate interest rates.

The only thing he could do to boost the stock market is stop the trade wars, but that would violate his 'tough guy' image.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:11 AM   #387
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

DOI press release describes 4th July celebrations as

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/wh...ly-celebration
Hold up there. The press release is quoting a newspaper article that used that phrase.

The guy is a self-centered, malignant narcissist but this one doesn’t fall at his feet.
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:16 AM   #388
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Not really sure what he can do though... the republicans have already done the tax cut thing (which might have boosted the stock market but its effect is fading). The government doesn't directly control the fed so he can't dictate interest rates.

The only thing he could do to boost the stock market is stop the trade wars, but that would violate his 'tough guy' image.

Well, he could always do what he did in 2018 and wait until Congress is adjourned before talking about how hard he is working to pass a middle class tax cut and how very, very close he is to making it a reality. Remember facts aren’t important to large swaths of the American electorate.
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:08 PM   #389
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

(Can this idiot get any more narcissistic? What next? He'll tweet about how high the ratings were for 'his' celebration?)
'
I said the same thing in a parallel thread about how this "parade" will keep the military people involved away from their families on a national celebration day. They will be thrilled, for very low values of "thrilled".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:33 PM   #390
Minoosh
Philosopher

Oh, to have the president’s ear for just 60 seconds.
I think he could be convinced that L’état, c’est moi is French for best president ever that he should add it to a tweet.
From his point of view that's what it does mean. Didn't he once say (re: diplomacy IIRC), no one else matters, only him?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:55 PM   #391
plague311
Great minds think...

Looks like Trump is "dropping" the census question. I'm not really sure what that means since he doesn't really have many options left. I guess getting smacked down by SCOTUS has that side effect.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 03:09 PM   #392
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

'
”President Donald Trump’s Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Night of 1,000 Stars!”
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:11 PM   #393
a_unique_person

Hold up there. The press release is quoting a newspaper article that used that phrase.

The guy is a self-centered, malignant narcissist but this one doesn’t fall at his feet.
I see what they did there. Saying exactly that while not outright saying it. Cute.
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:50 PM   #394
Tero
Graduate Poster

Thewire.com reports that 50 people will attempt to lie down in front of the tanks at Trumpfest.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:53 PM   #395
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Thewire.com reports that 50 people will attempt to lie down in front of the tanks at Trumpfest.

They aren't going to be moving, so it probably won't be too difficult. They're being transported to the Mall on trucks and put on display.
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:56 PM   #396
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
"Trumpfest" just doesn't work as a word. When combined with "Trump" the "fest" seems less likely to be short for "festival" and more likely to be short for "festering".
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:58 PM   #397
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Why on earth do we need displays of military might on a holiday celebrating our Independence? I can understand an aerial display of red, white, and blue fog by jets, but tanks? Reeks to me of Russian May Day displays.
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:12 PM   #398
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"Trumpfest" just doesn't work as a word. When combined with "Trump" the "fest" seems less likely to be short for "festival" and more likely to be short for "festering".
I'm sending you the bill.

Old 2nd July 2019, 05:12 PM   #399
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"Trumpapalooza"?
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:21 PM   #400
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
”President Donald Trump’s Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Night of 1,000 Stars!”
Kim and Trump will celebrate the day they invented the moon.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics