ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd July 2019, 01:46 PM   #1
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Donald Trump is Selfish, Stupid, and Wrong

Trump tweets:

---

Big 4th of July in D.C. “Salute to America.” The Pentagon & our great Military Leaders are thrilled to be doing this & showing to the American people, among other things, the strongest and most advanced Military anywhere in the World. Incredible Flyovers & biggest ever Fireworks!

---

I served in the Army, and let me tell you, nothing sucks like being "voluntold" to participate in ceremonial activities on a holiday weekend. If Trump really wanted to honor and respect the troops, he'd make sure that not a single soldier, sailor, airman, or marine was on duty for any reason other than to safeguard the nation. A better president would ensure that Veterans Day and the 4th of July were official "no parades, no ceremonies" days for the armed services.

I feel terrible for the poor tank crews who have to put on a stupid show for the President, instead of spending the weekend in shorts and t-shirts with their families, cooking hotdogs and drinking beer.

I don't feel as bad for the fighter jocks, who I understand to be the type of chad who thinks going Top Gun *is* the holiday. But still.

Also, given the recent incidents involving US naval vessels, I'm not sure "most advanced and strongest" is the right look at the moment. The President should be cleaning house before inviting guests over to see it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 01:48 PM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Trump tweets:

---

Big 4th of July in D.C. “Salute to America.” The Pentagon & our great Military Leaders are thrilled to be doing this & showing to the American people, among other things, the strongest and most advanced Military anywhere in the World. Incredible Flyovers & biggest ever Fireworks!

---

I served in the Army, and let me tell you, nothing sucks like being "voluntold" to participate in ceremonial activities on a holiday weekend.
Seconded. I can personally guaranteed that within a rounding error precisely zero members of the armed forced who haven't already volunteered for ceremonial / Color Guard type positions wants to spend July 4th standing in the dress uniform in front of a bunch of gawking tourists.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 01:52 PM   #3
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump doesn't give a single stuff about those who serve in the military. Not one moment's thought. This "parade" is all about him and his own popularity polling. It is totally expected that when the "parade" is done, his speech will be something along the lines of: "See what a great parade that was? Wasn't that great? Wasn't that yuge? No other president but me has ever done that. Crooked Hillary would never have done that. The Dems tried to stop that. But me, President Trump, your best president ever according to some, brought you this wonderful parade. So vote for me."
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 01:57 PM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I think that Trump believes on some level that being seen with the troops will scare investigators off.
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:02 PM   #5
wareyin
Philosopher

I can't believe I'm typing this, but...I agree with theprestige about Trump.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:05 PM   #6
Venom
Master Poster

That is pretty selfish of him.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:11 PM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I want to see our weapons on parade. The military families will be extra proud.

Got a son or daughter in that parade? This could be your best 4th ever.
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:17 PM   #8
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Why did you start a new thread for this?

Ask a mod to change the title to Trump's 4th of July military 'event' is ignorant and a waste of money...

Or something like that.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd July 2019 at 02:19 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 02:22 PM   #9
Minoosh
Philosopher

If it further erodes his support from the military rank and file, it's not all bad.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 03:37 PM   #10
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Speaking of eroding support, does anyone else think it would be funny if one of these tanks manages to burst a water main and flood the mall?
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 03:47 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Speaking of eroding support, does anyone else think it would be funny if one of these tanks manages to burst a water main and flood the mall?
Not me. People have enough problems in their lives, without having to deal with a broken water main and major flooding.

Worsening other people's lives for one's own entertainment is a bad behavior I'm calling out in this thread.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 03:49 PM   #12
wareyin
Philosopher

I can't help but notice that if the subject is children in cages, we can't say that's a bad thing. But adult soldiers missing out on family time for the duration of a parade? Stupid, selfish and wrong. Interesting juxtaposition.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 03:53 PM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I can't help but notice that if the subject is children in cages, we can't say that's a bad thing. But adult soldiers missing out on family time for the duration of a parade? Stupid, selfish and wrong. Interesting juxtaposition.
It depends on the nature of the cages, and the reason for them. Here I've articulated not only what I think is wrong, but also why.

Please take your complaints about other threads back to those threads where they belong. And then become the change you want to see in the world.
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:00 PM   #14
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Not me. People have enough problems in their lives, without having to deal with a broken water main and major flooding.

Worsening other people's lives for one's own entertainment is a bad behavior I'm calling out in this thread.
I'm not saying that the tank drivers should deliberately break the water pipes that supply the reflecting pool, or whatever. I'm just saying that if this display of Trump's wrongness, selfishness and stupidity leads to a relatively harmless spectacular public failure, it would be funny.

I'm not talking about a scenario where a tank bursts a gas main then a jet fighter crashes into it causing a massive fireball that incinerates thousands of holiday makers on July 4. That wouldn't be funny at all.
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:03 PM   #15
wareyin
Philosopher

It depends on the nature of the cages, and the reason for them. Here I've articulated not only what I think is wrong, but also why.

Please take your complaints about other threads back to those threads where they belong. And then become the change you want to see in the world.
I'm sorry you think a comment contrasting levels of indifference is a complaint. I assure you that it was merely pointing out the differences.

Please, don't let me get in your way of pointing out how selfish, stupid and wrong Trump is though. Seriously, that's a refreshing viewpoint that I didn't think some were capable of ever reaching.
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:03 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not saying that the tank drivers should deliberately break the water pipes that supply the reflecting pool, or whatever. I'm just saying that if this display of Trump's wrongness, selfishness and stupidity leads to a relatively harmless spectacular public failure, it would be funny.

I'm not talking about a scenario where a tank bursts a gas main then a jet fighter crashes into it causing a massive fireball that incinerates thousands of holiday makers on July 4. That wouldn't be funny at all.
In my experience, burst water mains are never funny or harmless to the people affected by them.
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:05 PM   #17
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

The last I saw, it wasn't even going to be a parade, due to the potential infrastructure damage. A handful of vehicles and their crews will be sitting around on display like museum exhibits.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:10 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The last I saw, it wasn't even going to be a parade, due to the potential infrastructure damage. A handful of vehicles and their crews will be sitting around on display like museum exhibits.
Typical airshow stuff, then.
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:12 PM   #19
Armitage72
Illuminator

Typical airshow stuff, then.
Link.

Quote:
A small number of M1 Abrams tanks and other armored vehicles will participate in President Donald Trump's July Fourth celebrations in Washington on Thursday, US defense officials have confirmed to CNN.
However, they will not parade down Pennsylvania Avenue due to the need to protect roads and bridges.
A US defense official said that the current plan is to have a very small number of armored vehicles participate as part of a "static display" at the event on the National Mall. The vehicles will not be moving thereby reducing the chance of damaging local infrastructure. The number of vehicles will be very small with the current plan to have two M1 Abrams tanks, two Bradley fighting vehicles and an armored M88 Recovery Vehicle, along with an "appropriate" number of accompanying personnel.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:13 PM   #20
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Funny if the tank driver gets in big trouble for reckless driving around national monuments?
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:16 PM   #21
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Oh. I guess that makes sense. I thought I could watch on TV and see all the stuff go by.

Families will still be very proud if their sons or daughters are on camera at the exhibit.
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:41 PM   #22
applecorped
Suspended

elections have consequences

lol
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 04:57 PM   #23
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You'd think that someone that seems to get upset when people suggest that he is wanting to be a Dictator, would stop doing things that make him look like he wants to be a Dictator.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:09 PM   #24
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

OK. The White House says there will be no charge for the tickets to the special VIP section at the event. But. The White House has also not yet announced how these no-cost tickets will be distributed. I have a hunch that President Trump is going to make sure all the tickets end up in the hands of military families in which the active-duty heads of the household are not able to be with their families.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to loosen my belt so that monkeys can fly out of my ass.

ETA
Not a month goes by that we don’t see something adding to the evidence that President Trump does not hold the perspective that the president should serve the country but rather holds the perspective that the country should serve the president.

Oh, and serve means to fawn over his every word and praise his every deed.

Last edited by Ladewig; 2nd July 2019 at 05:12 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:26 PM   #25
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I can't believe I'm typing this, but...I agree with theprestige about Trump.
You're not alone. Still, quite the shocker, no?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:33 PM   #26
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Oh. I guess that makes sense. I thought I could watch on TV and see all the stuff go by.
You mean while you get to be home celebrating with your family and/or friends?

Quote:
Families will still be very proud if their sons or daughters are on camera at the exhibit.
They'd probably rather their sons and daughters had been able to be home with their families and/or friends.

I know where my veteran father, veteran sister, and veteran husband would rather have been.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:37 PM   #27
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Not. Sure. If. Serious.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 05:43 PM   #28
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
What portion of military personnel stationed stateside are normally given leave on holiday weekends? That's not a rhetorical question; I actually have no idea. The ones on duty or in training might as well be marching in a parade as marching in drills (or hanging around) at a base. (Unless it's just like an 8 to 5 with evenings, weekends, and holidays off. But it doesn't work that way for enlisted soldiers, does it?)
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:27 PM   #29
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
What portion of military personnel stationed stateside are normally given leave on holiday weekends? That's not a rhetorical question; I actually have no idea. The ones on duty or in training might as well be marching in a parade as marching in drills (or hanging around) at a base. (Unless it's just like an 8 to 5 with evenings, weekends, and holidays off. But it doesn't work that way for enlisted soldiers, does it?)
They get off quite a few. Here ya go:

https://militarybenefits.info/federa...ning-holidays/
Old 2nd July 2019, 06:35 PM   #30
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

I feel terrible for the poor tank crews who have to put on a stupid show for the President,
President Donald Trump has vowed that "brand new Sherman tanks" will be on display this July 4th in Washington, D.C.
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...te-us-military

I wonder if Trump will send those brand new Shermans into Iran?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:18 PM   #31
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I keep having visions of Will Smith kicking and yelling at the alien on the ground in Independence Day -- "Why'd you have to ruin my holiday? I coulda been at a barbecue!!"

I don't doubt that someone will photoshop The PDJT into that very scene.
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:20 PM   #32
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Trump is like Putin without brains.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will

Last edited by shemp; 2nd July 2019 at 08:22 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:28 PM   #33
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
President Donald Trump has vowed that "brand new Sherman tanks" will be on display this July 4th in Washington, D.C.
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...te-us-military

I wonder if Trump will send those brand new Shermans into Iran?
They would be more deadly if they were simply dropped on Iran. And cheaper than most guided weapons.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:56 PM   #34
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I can't speak for every situation, but you do have nights and weekends free unless on a training mission (which isn't all the time because it takes time to coordinate those), or you are on a duty day. That is 24 hours you are on "duty" and you are on a rotation of those with a few other sections (like a doctor). The rest is 9 to 5.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:32 PM   #35
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

These military parades the stupid bitch is so enamored of are signs of weakness. France needs to remind the world that it's a major power. China, North Korea and Russia have these parades to intimidate internal and external audiences. As the lone remaining superpower, we just are. We don't have parades. When we want to world to notice our military might, we have better ways that parades to demonstrate it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:37 PM   #36
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
These military parades the stupid bitch is so enamored of are signs of weakness. France needs to remind the world that it's a major power. China, North Korea and Russia have these parades to intimidate internal and external audiences. As the lone remaining superpower, we just are. We don't have parades. When we want to world to notice our military might, we have better ways that parades to demonstrate it.
What's a superpower?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:50 PM   #37
dann
Philosopher

They will probably make sure that all the soldiers marching past him will only have blanks. Trump wouldn't be the only president to be assassinated at a parade, but he would be the first U.S. Amerian president.
It must have caused some resentment among all the other U.S. navy personnel in Japan that only those of the USS John S. McCain got the day off. So maybe the US Navy should fly them in for the 4th of July ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 05:40 AM   #38
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Watch standers, security forces, air traffic controllers, fire fighters, medical personnel, those types have to work holidays. Most people though get the day off.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 05:47 AM   #39
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

So, typical Trump. Over promise and under perform.

Maybe he'll make up for it by plating all the tanks in gold. Look at the Quality!
Old 3rd July 2019, 05:49 AM   #40
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets:

---

I don't feel as bad for the fighter jocks, who I understand to be the type of chad who thinks going Top Gun *is* the holiday. But still.

I feel bad for the fighter "jocks" and the dozens and dozens of people who have to work to generate the aircraft, launch and recover them. The Air Force One fly over is particularly egregious. Have you any idea the number of people required to launch and recover a 747?

I'm not sure the point of Air Force One flyover, because you can watch large passenger aircraft take off every few minutes right across the river at Regan National Airport.

Last edited by Craig4; 3rd July 2019 at 05:51 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics