ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jeffrey Epstein , sex offenders , sex trafficking

Old 7th July 2019, 05:16 AM   #1
applecorped
Suspended

Jeffrey Epstein arrested for child sex trafficking

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ged/ar-AADX7RQ

Billionaire financier and registered sex offender Jeffrey Epstein was arrested Saturday in New York on new sex-trafficking charges involving allegations that date to the early 2000s, according to law enforcement officials.
An official said Epstein is accused of paying underage girls for massages and molesting them at his homes in Florida and New York.
The arrest comes amid renewed scrutiny of a once-secret plea deal that ended a federal investigation against him.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 08:25 AM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Even what he has admitted to makes him scum. I'll not be at all surprised if these new charges end in a successful prosecution. He's a prime example of how wealth and the influence it can bring can distort a justice system.
Old 7th July 2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Is this new activity since the previous charges, or just stuff he didn't get charged with before?
Old 7th July 2019, 09:22 AM   #4
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Is this new activity since the previous charges, or just stuff he didn't get charged with before?
The indictment is sealed. But this may be related to a recent court decision that was critical of the plea deal he got a decade ago.

Wealthy financier Jeffrey Epstein arrested for sex trafficking, sources say

Quote:
Earlier this year, a federal judge ruled that the deal did, in fact, violate the rights of Epstein’s victims. The court is now considering the possible remedies for the violation of the law.

"If today’s report is true, it only proves that the Epstein should have been charged by federal prosecutors twelve years ago in Florida," Paul Cassell, co-counsel along with Edwards for victims Jane Doe 1 and 2 in the case challenging the DOJ over the non-prosecution agreement with Epstein, said in a statement. "With his money, Epstein was able to buy more than a decade of delay in facing justice – but fortunately he wasn’t able to postpone justice forever."
I'm not sure how a not-quite-kosher plea deal applies to double jeopardy. Or how any of that works. If the plea deal was not done right, can the original guilty plea be considered void and the whole prosecution started over?
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 09:36 AM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

These must be cases that were not involved in the previous plea deal. Perhaps they were not even known at the time. A plea deal is not blanket coverage for all past transgressions.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 10:32 AM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I find myself hoping Trump will pardon him, but he's not quite THAT dumb. Unless Epstein has something on Trump, which is possible.
Old 7th July 2019, 11:08 AM   #7
Ranb
Philosopher

Well, Epstein is or was a Trump buddy.
Quote:
“I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side.” - Donald Trump, 2002 https://t.co/3pbKrcFdn6

Or maybe Epstein will get another good deal from someone like Alexander Acosta.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...tein-plea-deal
Quote:
Alexander Acosta who, following a three-part investigation by the *Miami Herald, was found on Thursday to have broken the law when he and other prosecutors let Jeffrey Epstein, who was literally running an international sex operation that included underaged girls, sign a plea agreement and conceal it from more than 30 victims. Rather than prosecuting the billionaire under federal sex trafficking laws, Acosta, then the U.S. attorney in Miami, negotiated “a non-prosecution agreement that gave Epstein and his co-conspirators immunity” and allowed him to quietly plead guilty to just two prostitution charges in state court, and serve less than 18 months in a county jail.
Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 11:14 AM   #8
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Well, Epstein is or was a Trump buddy.
He's also a Bill Clinton buddy. He's one of those people with ties to all sorts of powerful people on both sides of a the aisle. Or, at least, he HAD all sorts of ties.

I guess the one catch is that most of his Democratic friends are pretty much out of the picture. Whereas the problematic plea deal was done by a Republican who is in the current administration and the current president was also friend.

I don't expect to see any functional political effect from this. Any ties to Trump will be deflected by bringing up ties to Bill Clinton. Never mind that one is still President and is looking to run for re-election while the other is less politically influential than ever.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 12:12 PM   #9
cow_cat
Mr. Parodied

So, it's like pizzagate, but real?

Used to have another username, but I hated it.
cow_cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 12:30 PM   #10
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

What Constitutional rights do victims have that are applicable in this case?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 01:03 PM   #11
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
He's also a Bill Clinton buddy. He's one of those people with ties to all sorts of powerful people on both sides of a the aisle. Or, at least, he HAD all sorts of ties.

I guess the one catch is that most of his Democratic friends are pretty much out of the picture. Whereas the problematic plea deal was done by a Republican who is in the current administration and the current president was also friend.

I don't expect to see any functional political effect from this. Any ties to Trump will be deflected by bringing up ties to Bill Clinton. Never mind that one is still President and is looking to run for re-election while the other is less politically influential than ever.
Epstein's connection to Donald Trump and Bill Clinton kept his (Epstein) name off the agenda in 2016. Neither candidate could really use it against the other. It's now 2020 election time and none of the Democratic candidates have the connection to Epstein. This could create some difficulties for Trump but I don't think it's fatal.

Going to trial could prove to be embarrassing for some of the people who are connected to Epstein, Dershowitz and Prince Andrew among others
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 01:07 PM   #12
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Miami Herald ran an expose of Epstein last year that was pretty exhaustive
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 01:10 PM   #13
Tero
Graduate Poster

I find myself hoping Trump will pardon him, but he's not quite THAT dumb. Unless Epstein has something on Trump, which is possible.
Trump pardons E. Pence pardons Trump.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 02:03 PM   #14
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
The indictment is sealed. But this may be related to a recent court decision that was critical of the plea deal he got a decade ago.

Wealthy financier Jeffrey Epstein arrested for sex trafficking, sources say

I'm not sure how a not-quite-kosher plea deal applies to double jeopardy. Or how any of that works. If the plea deal was not done right, can the original guilty plea be considered void and the whole prosecution started over?
Double Jeopardy only applies if jeopardy has attached. I don't think that routinely happens with a plea deal.

Remember also, that a judge has ruled that Acosta broke the law in negotiating that plea deal, so the deal might well be void.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 02:08 PM   #15
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Also, the fact that it is a sealed indictment is very interesting. It could mean that there is someone else named in the indictment that the prosecutors don't want mentioned in public.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 02:47 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Possible, but unlikely. If Epstein had something on him, Trump would have said so by now.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 03:12 PM   #17
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Also, the fact that it is a sealed indictment is very interesting. It could mean that there is someone else named in the indictment that the prosecutors don't want mentioned in public.

The Daily Beast has an "exclusive" on this and claims that the indictment will be unsealed tomorrow and that the FBI will ask for more victims to come forward.
Old 7th July 2019, 03:34 PM   #18
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Possible, but unlikely. If Epstein had something on him, Trump would have said so by now.
WTF nonsense is this?
Old 7th July 2019, 03:40 PM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
WTF nonsense is this?
???

You don't think Trump would tweet incontinently about whatever scandal he was embroiled in?

In which he was embroiled?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 04:39 PM   #20
Faydra
sinning sybarite

This will be interesting. The cesspool of Twitter is beside itself about who Epstein will bring down with him.

I don't care what political side they are on, if they are involved in this they should go to jail.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 05:56 PM   #21
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Even what he has admitted to makes him scum. I'll not be at all surprised if these new charges end in a successful prosecution. He's a prime example of how wealth and the influence it can bring can distort a justice system.
Influence protects you, until it doesn't. There's a tipping point at which the people you rely on for protection decide that they're better off not protecting you. And since those calculations are coupled (you don't want to be the last person protecting someone who's going down anyways), the collapse of influence can be sudden and complete.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 06:02 PM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
This will be interesting. The cesspool of Twitter is beside itself about who Epstein will bring down with him.

I don't care what political side they are on, if they are involved in this they should go to jail.
I'm voting for Dershowitz.
Old 7th July 2019, 06:07 PM   #23
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

???

You don't think Trump would tweet incontinently about whatever scandal he was embroiled in?

"Trump would have said so by now"

He's admitted being on Epstein's plane, but you are suggesting Trump would have said he poked 13 yr olds? He denied that multiple times.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th July 2019 at 06:10 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 06:30 PM   #24
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

He's admitted being on Epstein's plane, but you are suggesting Trump would have said he poked 13 yr olds? He denied that multiple times.
I think he's saying Trump would have tweeted something about the charges if he felt Epstein might turn on him with actually damaging info. Maybe complained that Epstein is being railroaded, or that it's just an attempt to get to Trump, or something. The point is that silence isn't Trump's style for anything he cares about. So either he doesn't care, or he's taking a different approach than his usual one.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 08:38 PM   #25
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Is the indictment supposed to be unsealed on Monday? I think I read that somewhere. That would mean soon. Within the next 24 hours.

Some rich and powerful men are 'sweating it out’ ahead of indictment against registered sex offender Jeffrey Epstein: journalist (New York Daily News)

OK, not the most sober and reliable of sources, but worth a read here.

Quote:
Last week an appeals court ordered the release of a 2,000-page document linked to the Epstein case be unsealed, ruling that the public’s right of access to court papers overrides the privacy concerns of certain individuals. The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals decision references allegations of sexual abuse involving "numerous prominent American politicians, powerful business executives, foreign presidents, a well-known Prime Minister, and other world leaders."
Key word here is "allegations" though.
Old 7th July 2019, 09:25 PM   #26
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

???

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I think he's saying Trump would have tweeted something about the charges if he felt Epstein might turn on him with actually damaging info. Maybe complained that Epstein is being railroaded, or that it's just an attempt to get to Trump, or something. The point is that silence isn't Trump's style for anything he cares about. So either he doesn't care, or he's taking a different approach than his usual one.

If I understand what you are saying here, then I agree with both of you (and ain't that a thing).

Firstly, much as I despise Trump for his womanizing and his misogynistic attitude, I seriously doubt that he would be a kiddie fiddler. I know he likes them young, but I doubt he likes them that young.

Second, if I'm wrong about that, and he really is involved, he would already have undertaken a twitter rage campaign accusing "them Ebil Dems" of concocting a hoax and a witch hunt, reciting "no involvement".

He is so predictable... we all know what he does and how he acts when he is guilty of something, we can read him like a book!

Last edited by smartcooky; 7th July 2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 7th July 2019, 09:30 PM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Too much imaginary tea leaf reading for my book.
Old 7th July 2019, 09:42 PM   #28
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I doubt the FBI would have gone forward if there was an unmistakable criminal connection between Epstein and Trump.

But there are plenty of connections between Epstein and people working, directly or indirectly, for Trump, like Dershowitz and Acosta.

Trump just doesn't who to throw under the bus yet to keep himself looking unconnected.
Old 7th July 2019, 09:53 PM   #29
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I'm gonna agree with Skeptic Ginger on this one. Not much point in speculating until the documents are unsealed. Trump would be foolish to deny something he hasn't even been publicly accused of yet, and I don't think he's that foolish.
Old 7th July 2019, 10:12 PM   #30
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I'm gonna agree with Skeptic Ginger on this one. Not much point in speculating until the documents are unsealed. Trump would be foolish to deny something he hasn't even been publicly accused of yet, and I don't think he's that foolish.
... never stopped him before ...
Old 7th July 2019, 11:16 PM   #31
dann
Philosopher

All you need is a headline saying that Trump is much too ugly and unattractive for an underage girl to want to have anything to do with him, and he'll post the photos to prove you wrong!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 09:25 AM   #32
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The most important discussion is going to be pointing out that Epstein is not a pedophile.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 09:28 AM   #33
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The most important discussion is going to be pointing out that Epstein is not a pedophile.
given that Pedophilia is not a legal term, it isn't important at all.
Old 8th July 2019, 09:34 AM   #34
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
... never stopped him before ...
He's selective what he is foolish about. He has issues when he's accused of anything with women that suggests he had to force them to get it. I think that includes sex with teenyboppers.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th July 2019 at 09:36 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 09:48 AM   #35
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by cow_cat View Post
So, it's like pizzagate, but real?
I'm going to avoid the pedantic discussion, but the Pizzagate people, like most satanic panic conspiracy theorists, believed that young children of both genders were being victimized. Not high school girls.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 09:53 AM   #36
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You're literally the first person in this thread to use the term "pedophile."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 09:56 AM   #37
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You're literally the first person in this thread to use the term "pedophile."
I didn't claim it was related to discussion here Bloomberg, the NY post , daily mail, and others have all used the term. Calling it important was tongue and cheek, but I think the pedantic discussion is on its way.
Old 8th July 2019, 09:59 AM   #38
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I didn't claim it was related to discussion here Bloomberg, the NY post , daily mail, and others have all used the term. Calling it important was tongue and cheek, but I think the pedantic discussion is on its way.
Yeah because you intend to start it.

"Pedantic Discussions" aren't naturally occurring phenomenon. They are started by pedants. Pedants like you.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 10:05 AM   #39
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
All you need is a headline saying that Trump is much too ugly and unattractive for an underage girl to want to have anything to do with him, and he'll post the photos to prove you wrong!
Oh, one can only wish!

“I don’t like thirteen-year-olds, they had to be fourteen to compete in my pageant!”
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 10:08 AM   #40
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I read through the indictment. What I can't tell from it is how it relates to his previous charges. In particular, is this a completely separate group of victims from the ones he was charge with abusing before? That would make sense, in terms of not having to deal with the previous plea or with double jeopardy, but the indictment itself makes no mention of the previous deal so there's still some ambiguity, at least for those who haven't closely followed this horror show.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events