ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th July 2019, 11:23 PM   #1
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Ariel slammed for being a mermaid while black

So apparently Disney is casting a black woman as Ariel in the upcoming live action remake of The Little Mermaid. This has racists triggered because apparently it's fairytale canon that she's Caucasian or something. Discuss.
Old 10th July 2019, 11:27 PM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
So apparently Disney is casting a black woman as Ariel in the upcoming live action remake of The Little Mermaid. This has racists triggered because apparently it's fairytale canon that she's Caucasian or something. Discuss.
Actually posting a link to an example of what you are claiming people are doing is usually the done thing in these types of situations......
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 11:33 PM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Merpeople cast in movies have overwhelmingly been of the kind with human upper- fish lower-body half.
That's pretty racist, given the large percentage of Merpeople with fish heads and human legs.
Disney should reflect the actual population, not just some outdated idealization.
Old 10th July 2019, 11:37 PM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Merpeople cast in movies have overwhelmingly been of the kind with human upper- fish lower-body half.
That's pretty racist, given the large percentage of Merpeople with fish heads and human legs.
Disney should reflect the actual population, not just some outdated idealization.
Makes you wonder how many Merpeople have lost out on the role because non actual merpeople have been given them.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 11:39 PM   #5
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Actually posting a link to an example of what you are claiming people are doing is usually the done thing in these types of situations......
Seriously, it's all over the internet. It's not hard to find examples.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 11:42 PM   #6
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

This smacks of tokenism.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 12:00 AM   #7
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I see two hash tags reported and when I browse #notmyariel it seems to be pretty much mostly loads of people slagging some other people that I can't see hardly any posts of saying it's bad

Old 11th July 2019, 12:12 AM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

This seems to match my impression

Never seen this site before though, so forgive me if I am agreeing with some weird far right thing

Edit: Help if I put link in

https://reason.com/2019/07/09/ariel-...-halle-bailey/

Last edited by cullennz; 11th July 2019 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11th July 2019, 12:24 AM   #9
Venom
Master Poster

She isn't Caucasian, but Western European.

I see pandering and I don't like it. Sure the naysayers can make this about how grown men are making too big a deal of an early 90s cartoon, but at its root it's the tokenism that bothers me.

There was a black princess introduced in 2008 or so, and they could just as easily introduce a story of a black mermaid, perhaps from another ocean.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 12:30 AM   #10
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Wouldn't surprise me if Disney created the fake outrage for publicity and film promotion

Old 11th July 2019, 12:35 AM   #11
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Why are isn’t she silver like any other fish?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 12:36 AM   #12
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Been busy with wedding preparations.here ya go.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...-8987766%3famp
Old 11th July 2019, 12:43 AM   #13
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I’m offended that Disney keeps making live action remakes instead of developing good new material.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 12:44 AM   #14
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I’m offended that Disney keeps making live action remakes instead of developing good new material.

They dropped the most important character in the Aladdin remake.
Old 11th July 2019, 12:58 AM   #15
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

^^I'm with Ziggurat, of course. We live in the age of lazy sequels and remakes. It's getting boring.
Old 11th July 2019, 01:12 AM   #16
Mumbles
Philosopher

Saw it - in the form of random people on Twitter. The real amusing part is when people tried to "prove scientifically" that Ariel couldn't be black.

The idea was that since sunlight can'g get through to the bottom of the ocean, there'd be no need for mermaids to develop any melanin. A great example of completely misunderstanding evolution, and trying to bash it into a story of a freaking mermaid whose best friend is a singing lobster with an accent.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:21 AM   #17
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Why can't Ariel be a mythological creature played by a black actress? Why is that more pandering than if she was played by a white actress?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:29 AM   #18
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
This smacks of tokenism.
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
She isn't Caucasian, but Western European.

I see pandering and I don't like it. Sure the naysayers can make this about how grown men are making too big a deal of an early 90s cartoon, but at its root it's the tokenism that bothers me.

There was a black princess introduced in 2008 or so, and they could just as easily introduce a story of a black mermaid, perhaps from another ocean.
If she's the main protagonist, how exactly is this tokenism?

Tokenism would be like, another minor character is black.
Old 11th July 2019, 01:37 AM   #19
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I have no problem with the skin colour, but isn’t 52-year-old Halle Berry a little long in the tooth to be playing 16-year-old Ariel?

(15 in the original, 16 in the Disney cartoon version.)
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20

Last edited by zooterkin; 11th July 2019 at 01:39 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:39 AM   #20
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

She's 16 in fish years.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:40 AM   #21
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

She's also not Halle Berry

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:44 AM   #22
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
She's also not Halle Berry
That would explain so much. That and the fact I’ve yet to ingest caffeine this morning.

Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 04:33 AM   #23
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Saw it - in the form of random people on Twitter. The real amusing part is when people tried to "prove scientifically" that Ariel couldn't be black.

The idea was that since sunlight can'g get through to the bottom of the ocean, there'd be no need for mermaids to develop any melanin. A great example of completely misunderstanding evolution, and trying to bash it into a story of a freaking mermaid whose best friend is a singing lobster with an accent.
Of course this the reason why moray eels are white...... oh, hang on!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 04:50 AM   #24
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

There are a few wrinkles. It is a Danish story, but there are black Danish people. The movie is clearly not set in Danish waters (a Jamaican crab and the sea creatures there).

Shrug
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:06 AM   #25
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Just another example of a US made movie playing it loose with the historical facts.
Why are people surprised? Happens all time after time. Look at 'Robert the Bruce'.
Old 11th July 2019, 05:13 AM   #26
3point14
Pi

This is a big old joke, isn't it? There can't be any rel people in the world that worry about what colour a half woman, half fish, fictional creature is?

Stop the world. I wanna get off.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:23 AM   #27
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Just another example of a US made movie playing it loose with the historical facts.
I mean, Hallie Bailey doesn't even have a giant fish tail for the lower half of her body!

In any case it was mostly a lesser version of the same people that howled over "female Ghostbusters", complete with claims that Disney had ruined their childhood and other such nonsense. From what I saw (yes, anecdotes), they were overwhelmed both by people just rubbing their faces in it, and people pointing out that Disney's version was a massive deviation from the original story anyway.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:25 AM   #28
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Disney already outed themselves as race traitors when they had Emma Watson, a brit, play Belle in the Beauty in the Beast cashgrab remake. ERASING FRENCH CULTURE!!!1!

/s

Disney is probably grateful for this "controversy", because nothing about these uninspired live-action remakes of Disney classics is at all interesting.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 11th July 2019 at 05:31 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:28 AM   #29
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

In any case it was mostly a lesser version of the same people that howled over "female Ghostbusters", [...]
Now there's a thought; what if they made the character of "The Little Mermaid" male? Never mind racism and sexism, there'd be a storm of protest from lexicographers alone*.

Dave

* Which, presumably, many of them are.
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:30 AM   #30
3point14
Pi

I mean, Hallie Bailey doesn't even have a giant fish tail for the lower half of her body!

That's a bang on point. The original had a giant fish tail. Any actress considered for the part must likewise have a giant fish tail. And be able to breathe underwater. And be 2D.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:42 AM   #31
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I want her to be black and white like a killer whale! Violent Sea Panda FTW!

Though seriously Lizzo would make a far better Ursala than Melissa McCarthy.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:44 AM   #32
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So I have a question.

Has anyone met an actual human being in the actual real world who has an issue with this? Or just the standard peanut gallery of online comments, random Twitter accounts that openly admit they are trolling, and television talking heads reporting on a "controversy" that doesn't exist to stir their tribes up?

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 11th July 2019 at 05:45 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:46 AM   #33
Ranb
Philosopher

I wonder if she will get red hair to go along with her tail and seashells? That would be an interesting combo.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:47 AM   #34
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So I have a question.

Has anyone met an actual human being in the actual real world who has an issue with this? Or just the standard peanut gallery of online comments, random Twitter accounts that openly admit they are trolling, and television talking heads reporting on a "controversy" that doesn't exist to stir their tribes up?
This is a nonissue for anyone but the insane twitter crowd. But it only takes one.

This is more red meat for the "cultural genocide" crowd. You know, the guys that go and shoot up a church or mall because white culture is being erased by brown people.
Old 11th July 2019, 05:52 AM   #35
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Yeah I saw that. I don't think skin colour is particularily important to this specific character to get bent out of shape over the casting.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:55 AM   #36
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Why can't Ariel be a mythological creature played by a black actress? Why is that more pandering than if she was played by a white actress?
People complained about Idris Elba's casting as Heimdall in 2011's Thor but then he was the coolest character in the movie. People complain. Ignore them.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:58 AM   #37
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
People complained about Idris Elba's casting as Heimdall in 2011's Thor but then he was the coolest character in the movie. People complain. Ignore them.
Exactly. When are the media going to learn that "people complain on Twitter" is not a story?
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:09 AM   #38
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So I have a question.

My nephew who doesn't think he is racist and thinks black people have nothing to complain about because it has been 150 years since slavery.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 06:18 AM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Exactly. When are the media going to learn that "people complain on Twitter" is not a story?
I don't know. I've been saying for a while now that the media should essentially ignore the internet entirely. It just doesn't represent meatspace all that well.

Old 11th July 2019, 06:28 AM   #40
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Outrage is an addiction. There's good money to be had in being a pusher.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events